I bulked and just got fat.

Options

Replies

• lucygoesrawr
    lucygoesrawr Posts: 184 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Just a quick question before I go cook some not-at-all-lean burgers and churn some delicious whisky ice cream ;) (I'll get back to the replies later, very grateful for the support) - JoRocka - what sort of increments would you recommend? Do you think mine are too much currently?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question before I go cook some not-at-all-lean burgers and churn some delicious whisky ice cream ;) (I'll get back to the replies later, very grateful for the support) - JoRocka - what sort of increments would you recommend? Do you think mine are too much currently?

depends on the lifts...and what your reps are.

I don't think anyone can really answer that but you honestly. If you feel like you aren't succeeding at your sets of 5 with the jump you used- switch the plates out for a smaller incremental jump.

I mean really the closer you get to your one rep max- obviously the smaller your jump ups will be- but if you're working at say 155- and you slap on a set of 10's- and you can do you first set of five reps just fine- and then the second set suffers- and by the 3rd set you fail... perhaps- for the forth set drop back to 165.

There is no shame in deloading. constant failure every time you walk in can be bad for your brain (psychologically- as you can see/feel for yourself right now) and also- it's bad for your recover and your nervous system. It can easily stunt growth.
  • lucygoesrawr
    lucygoesrawr Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Okay, that makes sense. One of my sisters has some problems with that, while the other one has arthritis.

I'm going to go ahead and make the uneducated guess that your condition is making your lifting harder as well. You can't expect to progress as much as someone without it. I'm also going to guess that gaining "significant amounts of fat" would be bad (and I'm going to put it out there that you can get stronger without gaining much actual muscle mass). I'd recommend a *slight* surplus, find a left at which you are gaining about a pound every 2 weeks, and a LOT of patience. It's possible that starting strength is not for you and that you'd do better with a program with slightly more reps, slower progression, and possibly NOT squats every day (I know squats every day just sucks for me). Have you worked with a physical therapist or anything? Someone who could recommended something?

You're probably right - I was told that I won't recover as well as other people. Thought that bulking might help that, though - it has, to some degree, because I don't feel awful and exhausted all the time like before - but still.
    There isn't really anyone like that I can ask about this. I've been told I'm basically doing the right sort of thing.
    Squats every work out day could be too much, I suppose. But I love doing them :/ Something to think about...

You may want to consider a short break. If you have been lifting nearly everyday for 4 months, your body might need a rest.
    I don't lift every day - it's three days a week. I've had to have a few breaks anyway - holidays and such - so I don't think that's it, but I appreciate the suggestion.

I'll reduce calories to 2000 and see what happens with my weight.

JoRocka - Thanks for the advice. I'm increasing squats by 1kg a session - so perhaps .5kg would be better? That seems like such a tiny amount though, especially considering I'm not even lifting my body weight yet.
    Well, I might deload to 32kg on Friday and work up from there again.
  • bd208
    bd208 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    First off, throw out that stupid scale....Go to a gym and have a fitness professional measure you with Fat Calipers, You may actually be getting some gains but because you are overweight you can't see them. I'm doing Body Beast and I started the program at 220, too k my measurements and Fat Caliper test and I've allready lost -2% body fat, dropped some pounds, and slowly firming up. Some of your post does not make sense to me or the other posters. If you set your expectations too high you will surely disappoint yourself. Take small steps and gains as a step closer to where you want to be. There will be BIG differences when you measure with a scale, a tape measure or Fat Calipers. I have found those little calipers worth their weight in gold. You will also need to be eating "clean" healthy nutritious foods. With your health issues, speak with your doctor and if possible and Dietician to get you pointed in the right direction! Good luck on your journey!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    bd208 wrote: »
    First off, throw out that stupid scale....Go to a gym and have a fitness professional measure you with Fat Calipers, You may actually be getting some gains but because you are overweight you can't see them. I'm doing Body Beast and I started the program at 220, too k my measurements and Fat Caliper test and I've allready lost -2% body fat, dropped some pounds, and slowly firming up. Some of your post does not make sense to me or the other posters. If you set your expectations too high you will surely disappoint yourself. Take small steps and gains as a step closer to where you want to be. There will be BIG differences when you measure with a scale, a tape measure or Fat Calipers. I have found those little calipers worth their weight in gold. You will also need to be eating "clean" healthy nutritious foods. With your health issues, speak with your doctor and if possible and Dietician to get you pointed in the right direction! Good luck on your journey!

no, OP won't need to do that...

clean eating has nothing to do with weight loss.

and good luck trying to bulk on chicken and vegetables ....
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

the amount she would have to eat while bulking makes me want to vomit
  • ndj1979
    Options
    LotusAsh wrote: »

can you OD on chicken and vegetables?
  • LotusAsh
    Options

can you OD on chicken and vegetables?

hahaha, I don't know but that sounds like a horrible way to die
  • LotusAsh
    Options

just no
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Every single time this subject comes up- all I can think of is the Brofessor-

"because you can't bulk on 10 boiled chickens and 10 buckets of quiona.

HA.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

HA.

There's always tuna ;)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

HA.

There's always tuna ;)

talk about a case of mercury poisoning...
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

HA.

There's always tuna ;)

talk about a case of mercury poisoning...

Did you watch the BroScience Life video on how to eat chicken without wanting to kill yourself? The reference to tuna near the end was my favorite part...

ETA: But yeah, that could be dangerous.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Possibly make your diary public? Be interested if you're getting enough protein. And, would this medical condition influence your ability to add muscle? Is your boyfriend knowledgeable enough to judge your technique? Bad technique can play hob with transferring what strength you have into moving the bar.

OTOH, failures during a set are just part of the game. Next time around, you try again. I assume SS has a deload phase if you have multiple failures at a given weight (I like Rip's books, but never tried one of his programs yet). No shame there -- everyone adds strength at different rate.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Just going to throw this out there as an option, since I don't think anyone else has mentioned it ...

Since your goal is strength and not necessarily increasing muscle mass, you don't actually have to bulk. You probably shouldn't if you're not happy with what are objectively speaking going to be minor changes after a month.

You could eat at maintenance and recomp, or eat at a slight deficit and continue to lift. You should still be increasing strength even in a cut since you're new, and are not already lean.

Another thing to consider - it might be easier for you both physically and psychologically to alternate adding reps and adding weight rather than just adding weight every time. It's a slower workload increase, and personally I found it to be reassuring that at the same time I increased the weight, I decreased reps. Made me more confident I could handle the increase, you know?

You'd follow the basic SS template, start with 5 reps per set, then at the next session do 6 reps, next session 7 reps, next session 8 reps, next session 9 reps, next session back to 5 reps and increase weight. Repeat. There's undoubtedly a formalized plan out there that does this, but I don't know it. The routine I followed that used a similar periodization scheme was AllPro's Beginner, but the lifts were a bit different and the rep range was 8-12 ...

Another thought - anyone else think it might be a good idea for OP to do very slow, controlled lifts with a bit less weight? I'm thinking of making all of those stabilizer muscles really work hard, since it sounds like that's what she really needs to help with the hypermobility.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Another thing to consider - it might be easier for you both physically and psychologically to alternate adding reps and adding weight rather than just adding weight every time. It's a slower workload increase, and personally I found it to be reassuring that at the same time I increased the weight, I decreased reps. Made me more confident I could handle the increase, you know?

You'd follow the basic SS template, start with 5 reps per set, then at the next session do 6 reps, next session 7 reps, next session 8 reps, next session 9 reps, next session back to 5 reps and increase weight. Repeat.
    I second that recommendation. I've been doing this myself as the equipment I'm doing only allows for 10 lb increments.

• LotusAsh
    Options

HA.

hahaha, such a good episode of that
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Just going to throw this out there as an option, since I don't think anyone else has mentioned it ...

Since your goal is strength and not necessarily increasing muscle mass, you don't actually have to bulk. You probably shouldn't if you're not happy with what are objectively speaking going to be minor changes after a month.

You could eat at maintenance and recomp, or eat at a slight deficit and continue to lift. You should still be increasing strength even in a cut since you're new, and are not already lean.

You'd follow the basic SS template, start with 5 reps per set, then at the next session do 6 reps, next session 7 reps, next session 8 reps, next session 9 reps, next session back to 5 reps and increase weight. Repeat. There's undoubtedly a formalized plan out there that does this, but I don't know it. The routine I followed that used a similar periodization scheme was AllPro's Beginner, but the lifts were a bit different and the rep range was 8-12 ...

Another thought - anyone else think it might be a good idea for OP to do very slow, controlled lifts with a bit less weight? I'm thinking of making all of those stabilizer muscles really work hard, since it sounds like that's what she really needs to help with the hypermobility.

^^All of this!

Adding reps is what I do (on some exercises, but not all) and for what it's worth, I really enjoy it. When I get to the higher reps, I do a day of very slow (especially on the negative) sets, before I move on to higher weight/lower rep next workout.

• Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    OP, I recommend you read this: http://bretcontreras.com/to-bulk-and-cut-or-not/ in regards to bulking and cutting.