I bulked and just got fat.

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ^^^^The truth is true.

Everyone has bad squats. I posted my max lifts and subsequent failed lifts on my YouTube channel. Free for all to witness my blown opening lift at 215 on my max day and I pretty much much pissed in myself and almost blew my back out simultaneously. Opening lift. Just didn't set up right and squat clean

It happens.
  • lucygoesrawr
    lucygoesrawr Posts: 184 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the advice.

I didn't realise my upper back wasn't tight enough. I thought I was bracing it. Will have to work on that.

EvgeniZyntx -
    HMS (and EDS) will affect muscular stability and balance because joint function is "looser". Along with the great squat advice you are getting - because of your condition - you will need to work on stabilizer exercises a lot more than the regular lifter.

Consider working on one legged squats (without weight) - Bulgarian and pistol, lunges as exercise that while strengthen stabilizers and help the knee region. Exercise ball, etc.

In your video one can see/guess at some erector spinae weakness - consider back extensions, holding cobra pose, captain's chair, etc. to start to address that.

Make sure stabilizer exercises are part of your standard auxiliary lift program.

(In fact - a proper program would have focused on stabilizers/balance work for 4-6 weeks prior to weight work for someone with HMS)

Okay, I see where you're coming from - but aren't pistol squats/lunges, etc, just the bodyweight alternatives to squats and such? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't deadlifts strengthen the whole back? As I am doing those.

I'll look into the stuff you've suggested though.

Will work with my husband on the bar positioning. Getting the feeling I might need to read a book about anatomy at some point, because I don't even know where most of the referenced muscles are...

I'll work on toe positioning, then. It had been suggested initially (on the other forum) that I point my toes out more, so I was trying that, but it didn't really feel much different. And a narrower stance.

As for the hand position - I've been bringing them in a bit closer each week. My shoulders hurt initially with a closer grip (possibly one of the less flexible parts of my body - but then again, they sublux). And each time I bring my grip in it hurts my middle finger at the start. So I'm doing it gradually.

Auddii -
    But, I also feel like the OP's elbows kick back pretty far,
    Not sure what you mean by this? They should point down more? Or to the side?

JoRocka -
    Regarding the hip opening thing, I'd be willing to give it a try as long as it isn't going to make them more flexible? Do you have a link?

I'll deload a bit more and work on all of this. I'll post another video in a couple of sessions since I'm unlikely to get it right next time. If you don't all mind :)

And about the deloading - it's not my ego, honest - I'm just worried about losing the strength I've gained recently and the increased stability in my knees, in particular (I worry about them now, because if I run fast the patellas do something that seems an awful lot like dislocation)

It's kind of reassuring to know it's happened to other people though - I was starting to think I'm just not very good at this stuff.
  • lucygoesrawr
    Options
    I know I said I'd wait a few sessions before posting a video, but I had some new issues today while trying to implement the changes.

First off, a narrower grip actually seems to cause circulation issues... Don't ask me how. I literally felt the blood rush back into my hands upon stepping away from the bar. That's not right, is it? Not sure about trying it again, considering that.

Tried a narrow stance - the result was rather awful. I started doing this hip swerve thing. It was nowhere near as bad when I did a couple of extra reps later with my normal foot width. So, what do I do regarding that? Is it necessary to have a narrower stance? Video below:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QRPUOjqPpg&feature=youtu.be
    And here's a video of the extra reps with the older stance:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCsVG4HS9Pw&feature=youtu.be

And yes, the bar position is getting worse. It's confusing. Apparantly my right elbow is lifting the bar higher than the left. My husband got me to adjust it and it felt like they were at completely different heights even though they weren't. I don't know if that's just a proprioception thing or something strange going on with my arm... It also doesn't seem to be as bad with a wider grip.

I'm still working on the problems, anyway.
  • hilsidney
    hilsidney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    a1a
  • lucygoesrawr
    edited February 2015
    Options
    hilsidney wrote: »
    a1a
    ...Eh?
  • hilsidney
    hilsidney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    oops... I was just reading this and spilled coffee on my computer. In my haste to clean it up, I accidentally posted the above. Sorry! :blush:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the advice.

I didn't realise my upper back wasn't tight enough. I thought I was bracing it. Will have to work on that.

EvgeniZyntx -
    HMS (and EDS) will affect muscular stability and balance because joint function is "looser". Along with the great squat advice you are getting - because of your condition - you will need to work on stabilizer exercises a lot more than the regular lifter.

Consider working on one legged squats (without weight) - Bulgarian and pistol, lunges as exercise that while strengthen stabilizers and help the knee region. Exercise ball, etc.

In your video one can see/guess at some erector spinae weakness - consider back extensions, holding cobra pose, captain's chair, etc. to start to address that.

Make sure stabilizer exercises are part of your standard auxiliary lift program.

(In fact - a proper program would have focused on stabilizers/balance work for 4-6 weeks prior to weight work for someone with HMS)

Okay, I see where you're coming from - but aren't pistol squats/lunges, etc, just the bodyweight alternatives to squats and such? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't deadlifts strengthen the whole back? As I am doing those.

Dynamic movements or equilibrium exercises recruit stabilizer muscles more effectively than standard big moves, especially in a beginner. Try a Bulgarian/pistol squat and tell us the next morning if you suddenly realize you had other muscles.

HMS just requires a lot more stability work.
    I'll look into the stuff you've suggested though.

Will work with my husband on the bar positioning. Getting the feeling I might need to read a book about anatomy at some point, because I don't even know where most of the referenced muscles are...

I'll work on toe positioning, then. It had been suggested initially (on the other forum) that I point my toes out more, so I was trying that, but it didn't really feel much different. And a narrower stance.

As for the hand position - I've been bringing them in a bit closer each week. My shoulders hurt initially with a closer grip (possibly one of the less flexible parts of my body - but then again, they sublux). And each time I bring my grip in it hurts my middle finger at the start. So I'm doing it gradually.

Auddii -
    But, I also feel like the OP's elbows kick back pretty far,
    Not sure what you mean by this? They should point down more? Or to the side?

JoRocka -
    Regarding the hip opening thing, I'd be willing to give it a try as long as it isn't going to make them more flexible? Do you have a link?

I'll deload a bit more and work on all of this. I'll post another video in a couple of sessions since I'm unlikely to get it right next time. If you don't all mind :)

And about the deloading - it's not my ego, honest - I'm just worried about losing the strength I've gained recently and the increased stability in my knees, in particular (I worry about them now, because if I run fast the patellas do something that seems an awful lot like dislocation)

It's kind of reassuring to know it's happened to other people though - I was starting to think I'm just not very good at this stuff.

good luck.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I know I said I'd wait a few sessions before posting a video, but I had some new issues today while trying to implement the changes.

First off, a narrower grip actually seems to cause circulation issues... Don't ask me how. I literally felt the blood rush back into my hands upon stepping away from the bar. That's not right, is it? Not sure about trying it again, considering that.

Tried a narrow stance - the result was rather awful. I started doing this hip swerve thing. It was nowhere near as bad when I did a couple of extra reps later with my normal foot width. So, what do I do regarding that? Is it necessary to have a narrower stance? Video below:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QRPUOjqPpg&feature=youtu.be
    And here's a video of the extra reps with the older stance:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCsVG4HS9Pw&feature=youtu.be

And yes, the bar position is getting worse. It's confusing. Apparantly my right elbow is lifting the bar higher than the left. My husband got me to adjust it and it felt like they were at completely different heights even though they weren't. I don't know if that's just a proprioception thing or something strange going on with my arm... It also doesn't seem to be as bad with a wider grip.

I'm still working on the problems, anyway.

IMO I think that fixing the upright issue will help you with the knee caving in/hip drive issues…

Because you are not staying upright it is making your kind of good morning the weight up and I think that is also affecting your hip drive.

I would say work on the cues that Jo gave you for staying upright…

I would also suggest bracing your abs throughout the entire movement…it is hard to remember to do (I forget sometimes) but it will help with keeping your torso upright…

• lucygoesrawr
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Could you confirm what you mean about the good morning-ing, as I'm not very familiar with these terms yet? I get that my chest is pointing down too much, though I don't understand how that's pushing the weight up?

EvgeniZyntx -
    We were doing this gymnastics strength program thing my husband found, at one point. That was supposed to help with stabiliser muscles, I think. Stopped it because doing that, the lifting and jogs twice a week was just far too much for my body. Though now we've stopped the jogs and aren't eating at a deficit anymore, perhaps we could try adding it back again.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Good mornings are hip hinges where you bend at the waist and then straighten again. Because your torso is d ropping, you're raising it independently like a good morning as you start to come out of your squat.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    It means that your hips are rising before your shoulders. Shoulders and hips should rise at the same time as you're reversing out of the bottom position.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Working for me
  • lucygoesrawr
    Options
    Okay, I see now.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

IMO I think that fixing the upright issue will help you with the knee caving in/hip drive issues…

Because you are not staying upright it is making your kind of good morning the weight up and I think that is also affecting your hip drive.

I would say work on the cues that Jo gave you for staying upright…

I would also suggest bracing your abs throughout the entire movement…it is hard to remember to do (I forget sometimes) but it will help with keeping your torso upright…

Very true - especially on the bolded. My biggest problem seems to be that, if I concentrate on keeping the upper back tight (which I really need to do with heavier weights), I sometimes don't keep the abs/lower back tight...and I collapse and end up with a good morning type of squat.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Don't know if it's something you'd be interested in, but this here 10 min thingie (re-packaged yoga-type stuff as far as I can tell, but specifically for activating the back for people who sit all day with crappy posture)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOTvaRaDjI

It says it's for the lower back, but it'll let you feel the upper back as well.
  • LaurenMac114
    Options
    I've tried to explain the condition as best I can below. I'm sorry it's so long, and sorry about my own lack of knowledge about how it all works, it's based on what I've been told my professionals and other people with it...

I have Joint Hypermobility Syndrome. I have been diagnosed independently by a physiotherapist and an orthopedic surgeon when they were trying to figure out what was wrong with my hands/wrists. The condition means I'm basically too flexible, due to ligaments and such not being taut enough.

This has caused me several problems. Firstly, my wrists, hands and fingers were painful, went numb and tingly, just generally wouldn't work properly, for about a year. I had to wear braces most of the time to stop my wrists from going into positions they shouldn't (which could cause nerve problems), which apparantly caused all these issues. I also had an issue with a finger curling underneath the others which is basically permanant now.

A couple of years ago I had awful hip problems - they would grind, sort of roll around, and sieze up so much I couldn't move - it was very, very painful. I refused to see a doctor because I was scared they might recommend a hip replacement. These problems lasted about two years and gradually went away. After losing weight it started to happen again. Milder, but enough to scare me. I also have permanant pain in my left hip if pressure is applied to it, and it hurts all the time if I'm inactive for a few days. A new doctor told me it needed strengthening and would be fine.

I've had lower back pain for a few years now, and started to have upper back pain when walking after losing some weight. The doctor told me it was just because it moved too much and would stop when I gained more core strength.

My knees are too unstable to run fast and prone to injury. They wobble around and hurt afterwards, and my ankles aren't much better.

These problems are, from my understanding, a result of everything being able to move around too much, there's too much 'wear and tear', especially around joints. Some people with my condition are fine until my age (22) and suddenly, over the course of a few years, start having problems like these, and eventually have to use a wheelchair. It also seems to be quite common to have arthiritis by 30-40.

Once again, if I understand what people have tried to explain to me, muscle can sort of do the job the ligaments are meant to do, hold stuff together - but I don't have enough yet. My wrists, for instance, which have probably been the worst part of my body, used to be very, very weak and thin.

Strength training has completely cured my wrists and the back issues, but I still have other problems. Being overweight isn't good, and does make me self concious - however, not a single doctor or the physiotherapist or the orthopedic surgeon have mentioned it. They have all told me I need to get stronger and build muscle, though, and I am not going to let my body fall apart. And at the end of the day, if I have to put on a significant amount of fat as well to make sure of that, and eat at a moderate defecit for years (because I'm not going to lose muscle mass) to come - it's worth it. I'm not going to become disabled when I'm lucky enough to have the means to stop it.

I know I'm late to the party, but this is exactly one of the health issues I have, down to a tee, and I also have fibromyalgia chucked in. I was advised that whilst gaining muscle is key, so is not having too much excess to put pressure on the joint. In short, It was recommended that I lose weight whilst maintaining my muscle through lifting. I would suggest to you, stick to around 1800-1900 cals and exercise as much as you can (gentle walking/cardio and lift three times a week only, with rest days between) and you will see better results because you will be feeding the muscles, allowing them to repair well, but not exhausting your body expecting too much of it.

I lift regularly and it has helped, but I still need to read my bodies signs. My deadlifts are 65kg and my squat 55kg so I know what you're looking for, you just need to start, and work up small when you have mastered each weight, not too quickly.

If you want to pm me feel free.

Lauren
  • achilliesteamguy
    Options
    Why are you bulking if you're overweight?

trueeeeeeeeeee