My arms are skinny--increase volume?

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    w734q672 wrote: »
    Remember, I did not bring up crossfit. However, I totally need to rag on crossfit if someone associates me with the zumba of weightlifting.

Here's my trend on crossfit hate
    *I feel a little bored, so I thought this would amuse you :)

2010: Wtf am I witnessing
    2011: I totally need to make fun of this *totally makes a youtube video
    2012: I'm never going to run out of Crossfit jokes.
    2013: Seriously, it's still going? What is wrong with these people
    2014: I'm going to curbstomp the next crossfit person doing kipping pullups in my gym

I'm already tired of making fun of Crossfit. At this point in time, I'm more interested in watching crossfitters get injured, because it just means that I'll see one less crossfitter kipping/humping the pullup bar.

Crossfit isn't particularly my cup of tea, but there are still athletes out there that are fairly strong, and impressive from a performance point of view. Interestingly enough, I would bet that a good portion of them are stronger than you as well.. women included.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Have you seen my previous posts on crossfit? lol I AM NO CROSSFITTER. I make fun of crossfit. Crossfit needs to die. period. Have you seen kipping?

its' fine to not be a crossfitter- but there is no need to make fun of it- yes they have their quarks- as do marathoners- that whole joke about how do you know if someone is a runner? just wait they'll tell you... kind of thing- it's applicable to everything.

I don't particular care for cross fit- it's not my cup of tea- I prefer better long term goals- but for some people it's perfect- and it's done more to get people lifting real weights than anything else has in the last 20 years.

Also what does kipping have to do with anything- it's not a pull up. it's a kip. It serves a purpose.
    plain and simple.

Cross fit is the zumba of weight lifting. Much like I don't mind taking a zumba class once in a while- I'm under no delusions that it's a dance class.... same with cross fit- it's a great class for people who want to just sweat and get work out in and feel like they accomplished something.

but be of no delusions that it's a power training program. because it's not.

But there is not need to rag on it because it's not for you. That's just silly- and it makes you look childish.

Remember, I did not bring up crossfit. However, I totally need to rag on crossfit if someone associates me with the zumba of weightlifting.

2014: I'm going to curbstomp the next crossfit person doing kipping pullups in my gym

I'm already tired of making fun of Crossfit. At this point in time, I'm more interested in watching crossfitters get injured, because it just means that I'll see one less crossfitter kipping/humping the pullup bar.
    No but you were the first person to leap violently at the chance to trash it and distance yourself from it- and then say you make fun of a group of people trying to improve their lives. There is no need to rag on it- just say- no. It's not my thing.

You're clearly not tired of it- because you're still going- seriously- curbstomp someone doing something different than you?

So you are going to curbstomp me for doing walking lunges with a releve and passe hold in my gym?

Just because it is not YOU- doesn't mean it's not invalid.

If you knew anything about weight lifting/powerlifting/oly lifting- you'd be glad- crossfit has done amazing things for getting people off the couch and even pushed people into power/oly lifting strictly.

These people aren't trying to be world class athletes- they are just trying to get better stronger and faster at what they are doing.

And again. Kipping isn't a pull up- stop trying to think a kipping pull up is a broken pull up- they are two different exercises entirely.

Again- just because it's not YOUR particular choice of exercises doesn't give you the right- or ground to stand on to rag on it- they aren't bothering you- leave it be. Grow up and just LET IT GO.

LET IT GOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

LET IT GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm glad this got interesting again. Good thing the OP got good advice pages ago because not much useful has come from this thread...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    well- we have now learned that it's okay to curbstomp crossfitters.

so I mean- there is that.
  • auddii
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    well- we have now learned that it's okay to curbstomp crossfitters.

so I mean- there is that.
    Now I just keep thinking of American History X and Mr. Smileys. Such a disturbing scene...
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Now we wait. Probably will be awhile...maybe he's got computer lab 4th period.
  • auddii
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have no experience designing my own programs, but this might be helpful:

bretcontreras.com/allocating-volume-maximize-muscle-growth/
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options

@JoRocka
    "So you are going to curbstomp me for doing walking lunges with a releve and passe hold in my gym?"
    Well I hope your proud of yourself. I haven't even had any coffee yet and already you've made me use Google. Damn it you're too smart.... you make me feel dumb :(

While your responses have been eloquent and intelligent, I'm afraid they've been a complete waste of your time and resources in this thread. If nobody feeds it maybe it will just wither and die. Fingers crossed.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm not insulted, but I disagree with you entirely.

Even a competition level natural bodybuilder doesn't say "I must get my biceps from 15" to 17.2".

They instead understand how to stimulate growth and they manage their training and diet and get the most they can out of it.

You're being ridiculous in this specific context of muscle size.

Even a competition level natural bodybuilder doesn't say "I must get my biceps from 15" to 17.2".

Sure, you don't go in the gym and say "I need to increase my arms by an inch" because that's just weird; and you also don't run a business meeting and tell people "we need a 20% profit margin increase by next month". However, I would think you would need a reference point to whether you're succeeding or failing towards what you want. In a business context, if I don't keep yearly income statements on daily operations, how do I know whether or not I am doing better or worse than the year before? I don't, because I don't have indicators to tell me otherwise. When you don't have clear and precise goals/indicators, you don't know how well you are doing. This should be true of any endeavor including being a natural bodybuilding competitor.

You keep track of progress by measuring. In the context of this discussion (arm size) the OP would keep track of rate of growth of her arms.

This is entirely different from having a target size that she is trying to achieve which is the statement you originally made.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I'm not insulted, but I disagree with you entirely.

They instead understand how to stimulate growth and they manage their training and diet and get the most they can out of it.

You're being ridiculous in this specific context of muscle size.

Sure, you don't go in the gym and say "I need to increase my arms by an inch" because that's just weird; and you also don't run a business meeting and tell people "we need a 20% profit margin increase by next month". However, I would think you would need a reference point to whether you're succeeding or failing towards what you want. In a business context, if I don't keep yearly income statements on daily operations, how do I know whether or not I am doing better or worse than the year before? I don't, because I don't have indicators to tell me otherwise. When you don't have clear and precise goals/indicators, you don't know how well you are doing. This should be true of any endeavor including being a natural bodybuilding competitor.

You keep track of progress by measuring. In the context of this discussion (arm size) the OP would keep track of rate of growth of her arms.

This is entirely different from having a target size that she is trying to achieve which is the statement you originally made.

Exactly as I have been. Thank you!
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Okay I skipped the last 3 pages (and definitely skimmed the synthol stuff), but if you're pressed for time, I would definitely omit the curls and such. One exercise we do in aerial that is a great combo exercise are pull-up egg rolls. Do a pull-up and at the top egg-roll so you are inverted. Egg-rolls really hit the biceps, but you're also hitting lats and some abs. You can negative with straight legs too and hit more ab. With your pull-up bar, you can also do pike pull-ups and skin-the-cats (for back), etc.

I'd also do dips long before I'd do tricep kick-backs, but I really like a lot of bang for my buck when it comes to exercises. The only thing I try to target specifically is glutes because they're so lazy. Oh, I also do cable rows to really isolate the rhomboids.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    mmmmmm egg rolls
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    mmmmmm egg rolls

Fattie.

Time to cut :s
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    xbwwrg8r0em0.jpg
    mmmmmm egg rolls

Fattie.

Who are you telling. My poor button on my uniform pants today. Plus these aholes had a big tin of Caramel Popcorn.

• auddii
    Options
    xbwwrg8r0em0.jpg
    mmmmmm egg rolls

Fattie.

Who are you telling. My poor button on my uniform pants today. Plus these aholes had a big tin of Caramel Popcorn.

This is awesome.
  • w734q672
    w734q672 Posts: 578 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Crossfit isn't particularly my cup of tea, but there are still athletes out there that are fairly strong, and impressive from a performance point of view. Interestingly enough, I would bet that a good portion of them are stronger than you as well.. women included.

(Next statement not meant to be rude) Your position on strength seems kind of one dimensional, and I would not be surprised that some athletes specialize and have advantages in certain types of strengths.

Different types of strengths can include:
    Maximal strength- greatest amount of force that a muscle or muscle groups can voluntarily produce, regardless of time
    Explosive strength- acceleration or rate of force development, or the neuromuscular system's ability to generate high action velocities
    Strength endurance-ability of a muscle or group of muscles to repeatedly exert force against resistance
    Relative strength- how strong you are in relation to your bodyweight

For most crossfitters, they specialize in strength endurance. Whereas, powerlifters specialize in maximal strength. Neither of which my programming is focused on.

it would be unfair to deem a crossfitter more fit/ stronger than a powerlifter because he/she has relatively more stamina (strength endurance), which is not necessarily a fair conclusion on the basis that they are not being judged in the same arena.

* On the whole Crossfit thing, well, I'm just tired of it. I really don't care anymore, as long as I'm not being antagonized by crossfit people or labelled as a crossfitter.

*Op should totally do pullups for bigger arms. Because well...crossfit logic
    4i068j.jpg

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

(Next statement not meant to be rude) Your position on strength seems kind of one dimensional, and I would not be surprised that some athletes specialize and have advantages in certain types of strengths.

Different types of strengths can include:
    Maximal strength- greatest amount of force that a muscle or muscle groups can voluntarily produce, regardless of time
    Explosive strength- acceleration or rate of force development, or the neuromuscular system's ability to generate high action velocities
    Strength endurance-ability of a muscle or group of muscles to repeatedly exert force against resistance
    Relative strength- how strong you are in relation to your bodyweight

For most crossfitters, they specialize in strength endurance. Whereas, powerlifters specialize in maximal strength. Neither of which my programming is focused on.

it would be unfair to deem a crossfitter more fit/ stronger than a powerlifter because he/she has relatively more stamina (strength endurance), which is not necessarily a fair conclusion on the basis that they are not being judged in the same arena.

* On the whole Crossfit thing, well, I'm just tired of it. I really don't care anymore, as long as I'm not being antagonized by crossfit people or labelled as a crossfitter.

*Op should totally do pullups for bigger arms. Because well...crossfit logic
    4i068j.jpg

did you spend all day working on that response????