Cutting out Sugar and Sweets Need Help

Options
I've done so well at losing 8 pounds already and I wanna lose a total of 65 pounds or more. My biggest thing is I have a Sweet Tooth and Always looking for a way to cut back or not eat them at all. I could use any kind of recommendations on how to cut out sweets and sodas. I'm also getting better at drinking more water and juice and trying to stay away from soda. Please Help.

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Juice contains calories so if you are going from diet soda to juice, you'd actually be increasing your calories.

Honestly I would not cut them out, just factor them into your calorie allotment for the day.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Honestly I would not cut them out, just factor them into your calorie allotment for the day.

Yep. I always try to make room for some ice cream in my calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If I wanted to tame my sweet tooth? Phase one of south beach diet. To the letter.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'd switch the juice out for sweets but that's just me. Congrats on your losses to date! But it might be easier if instead of demonizing sweets, you figure out how to fit them into your day.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a LOT of soda, i switched to diet and it made a huge difference. I drink a lot of coffee and there i switched to splenda. It's not exactly calorie free in but made a huge calorie reduction in the end.

I am new to drinking water and that has helped me reduce the amount of soda i drink. Switching to diet soda means more sodium.

I don't drink fruit juices because i would rather drink something else and eat an apple. Drinking juices is great if you can't get fruit but the fresh fruit lets me chew more.
  • crescentgaia
    crescentgaia Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Whole30 and they recommend cutting them out completely. The only thing they do allow is something sweetened by fruit juice because you can't really get rid of everything and still eat. You might want to look into the rules of South Beach and see what they recommend for when you're just starting. I still think the best way is just to cut out all the refined sugar you can. Also, don't use sugar substitutes as you'll just be fooling yourself and your body will still crave sweets. It'll mean eating less processed foods but it might help you in the long run.
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I had to cut them out completely at the beginning (refined sugar and flour). For the first couple weeks I had no refined sugar or flour, pasta or bread, or boxed cereal, after 2 weeks the sugar craving went away. It's getting over that initial hump for me. After the craving is gone, what I did was for "desert" is every night have a cup of green tea with honey and 2 squares of Godiva dark chocolate with sea salt. For mid day cravings I mix a tsp of fruit spread in cottage cheese and any fresh fruit I have. Sometimes I put a tsp of honey in oatmeal in the morning. Just that little bit of sweetness is enough to last.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    albalegume wrote: »
    I had to cut them out completely at the beginning (refined sugar and flour). For the first couple weeks I had no refined sugar or flour, pasta or bread, or boxed cereal, after 2 weeks the sugar craving went away. It's getting over that initial hump for me. After the craving is gone, what I did was for "desert" is every night have a cup of green tea with honey and 2 squares of Godiva dark chocolate with sea salt. For mid day cravings I mix a tsp of fruit spread in cottage cheese and any fresh fruit I have. Sometimes I put a tsp of honey in oatmeal in the morning. Just that little bit of sweetness is enough to last.

Sounds a lot like the first weeks of south beach diet. Which is a good approach to recalibrating.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I was on and off diet pop so many times. I don't know why I managed to stay off this time. I kind of think it's because I know if I start drinking it again, I'll keep drinking it, bloat up, want to quit but not quit because I like it and there are withdrawal headaches. When I think about having any, I think about all that, so I steer clear!

Sweets...berries are really sweet. Other fruits, too. Maybe one of those Fiber One lemon bars (just don't eat more than one or you run a risk, lol.)

Mostly, it's just having the determination to get through the first few weeks. After that, it's so much easier. Soooo much. :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should eat fruit instead of juices because most people need the additional fiber in their diet. Other than that, the best way to avoid temptation is to just not have the stuff around you. Don't buy soda if you want to stop drinking it (or switch to diet soda). Don't buy cakes or cookies or candy.

I do eat some sweets and just figure out how to fit them in to my daily plan.
    CarrieCans wrote: »
    I am new to drinking water and that has helped me reduce the amount of soda i drink. Switching to diet soda means more sodium.

The amount of additional sodium in a can of diet vs regular soda is so minimal that it should not factor in. For example, one 12 oz can of Pepsi has 30 mg. a can of diet has 35 mg. Out of the recommended 2300 mg. daily (which is one teaspoon of salt), that extra 5 is close to one extra grain of salt

• raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It's easy to get rid of simple carbs - Just stop buying them - No cane sugar, no honey, no fruit, no maple syrup, no golden syrup, no chocolate! Cutting back is a common path to failure - total abstinence is the best way to success. Throw out all the simple carbs that you have and substitute stevia only when sweetness is absolutely necessary. On occasions where you would normally eat sweets, try savouries instead.
    Getting rid of simple carbs leaves space in your calorie count for more nutrient rich foods.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Juice can be just as bad for you as pop, it is not just about the calories ... that pop says 0 calories. That does not make it good for you. So .. water (you can sweeten it) is your friend. And you do not need to go nuts and stop .. a gradual decline will be easier to handle and probably will keep you going forward. You are well off to cut down on the non natural sugars .. the processed ****. Substituting healthier things for that junk will be a good thing. I just do one trick .. I just do not buy it. That way it is not in your face and there are no temptations. Just skip that aisle when you go shopping.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I always go for a chocolate quest bar when I feel like something sweet. Much better than grabbing a nutrition less chocolate bar.

• txbride15
    Options
    Thank you everyone I got alot of good advice please feel free to add me as a friend so we can keep in contact on how things are going with my weight loss
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the loss!

I had success cutting out sweets by lowering my carbs and upping my fats. I eat about 3-15g of sugar a day. If I need something sweet, I have peppermint tea with Stevia or make a fat bomb (usually heavy whipped cream with sugar free pudding mix or make my own chocolates with cacao powder, Stevia, and coconut oil). I used to have a big problem with sweets. It is possible to cut them out and stop the cravings if you want/need to.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I've done so well at losing 8 pounds already and I wanna lose a total of 65 pounds or more. My biggest thing is I have a Sweet Tooth and Always looking for a way to cut back or not eat them at all. I could use any kind of recommendations on how to cut out sweets and sodas. I'm also getting better at drinking more water and juice and trying to stay away from soda. Please Help.

That is a tall order or was in my case. I started the first of August 2014 to cut out sugar. By the first of Oct I was still working on pulling my sweet tooth and got really pissed and just said to heck with carbs and stopped cold turkey eating or drinking anything with sugar added period, all grains and most fruits as well.

Ten weeks later I am still off of sugar but in my case I learned I had to replace the carbs with FAT. The sugar cravings have been gone as well as the sugar crashes. 15 pounds left as a by-product.

Yes in my case it was mind over matter. Unlike you if I did not get my arthritis pain under control with my diet the doctors wanted me to go on injections that long term had a very high risk of cancer so it was kind of do or die situation in my case.

dragonsoccer97 it will not be easy the first month. My Sweet Tooth came from eating carbs all of my long life. We each have to make a decision on what we want and figure out a way that will work for us. What is working for me might not even be an option in your case so that is why I say only you can figure out how to make it happen.

Counting calories is where I suggest you to start since you thought drinking juice was an improvement over drinking sodas. You have to count up what you are putting into your mouth just like the rest of us to know what you are eating. For the first month of eating better I did not lose any weight per the scales but lost body fat and had to resize my belt.

Remember most every time we crash diet we end up larger than before a few years down the road. Typically rushed weight loss is worse than no weight loss. Google the different diets that are being mentioned and read up on the subject of healthy eating. Even at 63 I have learned so much more in just these last four months.

Just because I had to cut out my carbs may not mean you must do the same so dig and read and come up with a plan and try it for 90 days and check out your results and modify as needed to change your eating lifestyle as needed. Best of luck.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Why do you wish to cut them out? Some people find it helpful to just reduce amounts and have a small daily treat.

I personally cut them out for a while and simply stopped eating them and snacking between meals. Fruit is a pleasant addition to meals that add sweetness, and if you feel a need to munch between carrots or other low calorie substitutes can work. Some yogurts can be dessert like and be more filling than a baked good would be.

What works really depends on the specific things you are struggling with, however. For me, I was using sweets if stressed or having a bad day, so I had to work on breaking that connection, which is why I cut them out for a while. Other people might want to try to get themselves to be open to a broader variety of foods or have trouble not overeating and that will affect strategy.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    my mom and i went on the dr. oz two-week cleanse during the summer (i know he's a quack but in the end, this actually wasn't that bad); basically, we couldn't have sugar at all--no fruit, no artificial sweeteners, nothing. yes it was hard at first but i'm telling you, by the last day of it, the eating choices felt so normal that by the time i COULD eat normally, it felt weird. if you want to go cold turkey, no sugar, it is possible. and believe me, i love my sweets. the first few days are the hardest; just try to distract yourself when you're home: get in an MFP-forum coma, take long showers, etc. then it'll be mindless in no time.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Yep. I always try to make room for some ice cream in my calories.

Third. Unless there are medical reasons for cutting out sweets (diabetes namely) then there is no reason to not eat them. Know your goals, log what you are interested in eating, and if it fits your goals then eat it. If it doesn't then change the serving until it does, or just eat it tomorrow.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    raysputin wrote: »
    It's easy to get rid of simple carbs - Just stop buying them - No cane sugar, no honey, no fruit, no maple syrup, no golden syrup, no chocolate! Cutting back is a common path to failure - total abstinence is the best way to success. Throw out all the simple carbs that you have and substitute stevia only when sweetness is absolutely necessary. On occasions where you would normally eat sweets, try savouries instead.
    Getting rid of simple carbs leaves space in your calorie count for more nutrient rich foods.

Guess I didn't actually lose 25lbs while still eating my fruit, honey, maple syrup, chocolate, also GF baked goods and other simple carbs.

just cuz
    lornedafuq2.gif