Doing all the right things but my weight won't budge.

Options

Replies

• amspang26
    amspang26 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    mamadon wrote: »
    Exercising every day wont do the trick unless you are eating at a calorie deficit.
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Over a year at the same weight is not a plateau - it's maintenance. You need to be in a deficit. Exercise is great for your health, but it won't help weight loss unless you are in a calorie deficit. But I guess everyone has already pointed that out.

Make sure you are weighing and measuring your food accurately, and CONSISTENTLY, and not overestimating your calorie burn. Also, even if you weigh your food, if you pick some of these crazy messed up entries in the database you might be getting inaccurate numbers. I've found some of them to be outrageously wrong - some are typos and some are just foolishness.

If something isn't on my confirmed frequent foods list, I am double-checking entries in the database to make sure I don't get one of those ridiculous ones like "Grandma's chicken stew - 80 calories per bowl" or "Homemade Mini Pot Pie - 150 calories each." I mean, really, how do you know what a serving is and what's in those things? It's a random guess unless you put in the entry yourself and know for sure what the ingredients are and how big a serving is. And sometimes people even screw up entries for processed products when the info. is right there on the package. Be careful!!! :)

Your tracking seems pretty consistent. Not sure what the problem is, but we know something's not quite right if you're still not budging after a year. Time to change it up because what you're doing isn't working. Maybe that menopause makeover thing a previous poster mentioned might have some good ideas for you. My Mom lost 4 sizes just using calorie deficit and she's in her 60's. It did seem like a slower process for her, but it was steady and she got there eventually, so if she can do it, I know this can work for a young thing like you! Hang in there! (*)

What is this Calorie deficit you all keep talking about? I too have hit a plateau. I would like to lose 10 more pounds and my number on the scale hasn't moved in two weeks???
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Ive noticed that even when I eat really well, at a deficit and exercise every day, I wont lose unless I go to bed with my stomach growling. In other words, I have to close the kitchen about 4-5 hours before bed.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Do you measure your food? Use a HRM so gage the number of calories that you burn working out?
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I find that MFP over logs exercise, so I don't log it.

Instead, I choose my activity level based on how often I exercise, (ie, 3-5 times a week so Active) and then just eat at that calorie count without adding back in more calories for exercise.

This way, you are already giving yourself the extra calories for working out without grossly overestimating.

It works for me at least :)
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    How do you eat half a nut? I just looked at one day admittedly but you have 1.5 macadamias and half a walnut logged there—seriously?
  • SoSusieQ
    SoSusieQ Posts: 80 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    LiftAnd Balance - I can easily eat 1/2 a nut. Don't be so rude
    -
  • SoSusieQ
    Options
    I'd be careful "mixing and matching" weight watchers and calorie counting. They aren't the same thing and calorie counting needs consistency I'm afraid. After all it only takes an extra 100 kcals a day to gain nearly a stone in a year!!

Also ditch the measuring cups and use a digital food scale, cups can be really inaccurate!

Good luck!
    Thanks for that, I am really sorry I started some people are so rude
  • SoSusieQ
    Options
    How do you eat half a nut? I just looked at one day admittedly but you have 1.5 macadamias and half a walnut logged there—seriously?

LiftAnd Balance - I can easily eat 1/2 a nut. Don't be so rude!!!
  • SoSusieQ
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Accepting that you logging may not be correct might be the first step to achieving your goal.

^This.

I don't care how much your metabolism is messed up. You body requires a certain amount of energy to survivie. If you were truly eating only 1300 calories per day while also exercising then you should be losing weight.
    Quasita wrote: »
    My question was more, how do you know you're in a deficit if you don't know what your TDEE is? "I feel I am in a deficit" is not nearly the same thing as knowing you are.

Based on your numbers, using a typical calculator, you are eating approximately an average person of your age/weight/height who works out 5 days a week's basal metabolic rate. Meaning you are actually undereating. You don't have to eat back your exercise calories, but you do need to give your body the fuel it needs to support the life you are living. Assuming that your work out is 300 calories or so, you would need to eat around 1600 calories give or take.

If you had acute anorexia nervosa as an adolescent, it leaves you at high risk of perpetuating those behaviors throughout life, while considering them normal. The average anorexia patient affects their metabolic process permanently, to a level where to maintain their body moving forward, they tend to need higher levels of calories than most average people.

Have you ever tried increasing your calories modestly? Are you always trying to cut, rather than considering that maybe you aren't eating enough for your activity habits? The closer you get to goal, the more accurate you have to be about these things... It's time to stop explaining the why and how of every suggestion, and actually consider a real change to YOUR habits, rather than looking for an excuse outside of your control.

Just my two cents, from another ED recovery patient to another.

Thanks for that point taken, I have been told I am under eating too, by a nurse. She works for a Dietitian, and she spoke to her about it. I will take your advice on board. Thanks for your honesty.
  • SoSusieQ
    edited December 2014
    Options
    SoSusieQ wrote: »
    I'd be careful "mixing and matching" weight watchers and calorie counting. They aren't the same thing and calorie counting needs consistency I'm afraid. After all it only takes an extra 100 kcals a day to gain nearly a stone in a year!!

Also ditch the measuring cups and use a digital food scale, cups can be really inaccurate!

Good luck!

Thanks for that, appreciated :smile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Seriously, tighten up your logging. Additionally, personally, cleaning should be part of your normal activity level.
  • SoSusieQ
    Options

Good luck!

Thanks all helpful advice appreciated
  • SoSusieQ
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Seriously, tighten up your logging. Additionally, personally, cleaning should be part of your normal activity level.

Okay :)
  • SoSusieQ
    Options
    holly55555 wrote: »
    I find that MFP over logs exercise, so I don't log it.

Instead, I choose my activity level based on how often I exercise, (ie, 3-5 times a week so Active) and then just eat at that calorie count without adding back in more calories for exercise.

This way, you are already giving yourself the extra calories for working out without grossly overestimating.

It works for me at least :)

• SoSusieQ
    Options
    ashmeg84 wrote: »
    Ive noticed that even when I eat really well, at a deficit and exercise every day, I wont lose unless I go to bed with my stomach growling. In other words, I have to close the kitchen about 4-5 hours before bed.

Me too :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    ashmeg84 wrote: »

Me too :)

It is your total calories intake that counts regardless of when in the day you have it.
    No point in going to bed with a growling tummy, that in itself is achieving nothing.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Accepting that you logging may not be correct might be the first step to achieving your goal.

^This.

I don't care how much your metabolism is messed up. You body requires a certain amount of energy to survivie. If you were truly eating only 1300 calories per day while also exercising then you should be losing weight.
    My question was more, how do you know you're in a deficit if you don't know what your TDEE is? "I feel I am in a deficit" is not nearly the same thing as knowing you are.

Based on your numbers, using a typical calculator, you are eating approximately an average person of your age/weight/height who works out 5 days a week's basal metabolic rate. Meaning you are actually undereating. You don't have to eat back your exercise calories, but you do need to give your body the fuel it needs to support the life you are living. Assuming that your work out is 300 calories or so, you would need to eat around 1600 calories give or take.

If you had acute anorexia nervosa as an adolescent, it leaves you at high risk of perpetuating those behaviors throughout life, while considering them normal. The average anorexia patient affects their metabolic process permanently, to a level where to maintain their body moving forward, they tend to need higher levels of calories than most average people.

Have you ever tried increasing your calories modestly? Are you always trying to cut, rather than considering that maybe you aren't eating enough for your activity habits? The closer you get to goal, the more accurate you have to be about these things... It's time to stop explaining the why and how of every suggestion, and actually consider a real change to YOUR habits, rather than looking for an excuse outside of your control.

Thanks for that point taken, I have been told I am under eating too, by a nurse. She works for a Dietitian, and she spoke to her about it. I will take your advice on board. Thanks for your honesty.

No, you are not under eating. If you were then you would be losing weight. Stop looking for the answers you want to hear.

But I spoke to someone who spoke to someone and she says you're wrong :wink:
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

LiftAnd Balance - I can easily eat 1/2 a nut. Don't be so rude!!!

I guess I'm rude, also, because I'm curious about eating only half a nut. I generally weigh 28 gram (1 serving) of raw almonds for a small pick-me-up with a cup of coffee, but can't imagine eating only half a nut. :)
  • SoSusieQ
    Options

^This.

No, you are not under eating. If you were then you would be losing weight. Stop looking for the answers you want to hear.

Well the jury's still out on that one mate