Doing all the right things but my weight won't budge.

Options

Replies

• SoSusieQ
    SoSusieQ Posts: 80 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    SoSusieQ wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    Accepting that you logging may not be correct might be the first step to achieving your goal.

^This.

I don't care how much your metabolism is messed up. You body requires a certain amount of energy to survivie. If you were truly eating only 1300 calories per day while also exercising then you should be losing weight.
    Quasita wrote: »
    My question was more, how do you know you're in a deficit if you don't know what your TDEE is? "I feel I am in a deficit" is not nearly the same thing as knowing you are.

Based on your numbers, using a typical calculator, you are eating approximately an average person of your age/weight/height who works out 5 days a week's basal metabolic rate. Meaning you are actually undereating. You don't have to eat back your exercise calories, but you do need to give your body the fuel it needs to support the life you are living. Assuming that your work out is 300 calories or so, you would need to eat around 1600 calories give or take.

If you had acute anorexia nervosa as an adolescent, it leaves you at high risk of perpetuating those behaviors throughout life, while considering them normal. The average anorexia patient affects their metabolic process permanently, to a level where to maintain their body moving forward, they tend to need higher levels of calories than most average people.

Have you ever tried increasing your calories modestly? Are you always trying to cut, rather than considering that maybe you aren't eating enough for your activity habits? The closer you get to goal, the more accurate you have to be about these things... It's time to stop explaining the why and how of every suggestion, and actually consider a real change to YOUR habits, rather than looking for an excuse outside of your control.

Just my two cents, from another ED recovery patient to another.

Thanks for that point taken, I have been told I am under eating too, by a nurse. She works for a Dietitian, and she spoke to her about it. I will take your advice on board. Thanks for your honesty.

No, you are not under eating. If you were then you would be losing weight. Stop looking for the answers you want to hear.

Well how many calories should I be eating then?
  • SoSusieQ
    Options
    Accepting that you logging may not be correct might be the first step to achieving your goal.

^This.

I don't care how much your metabolism is messed up. You body requires a certain amount of energy to survivie. If you were truly eating only 1300 calories per day while also exercising then you should be losing weight.
    My question was more, how do you know you're in a deficit if you don't know what your TDEE is? "I feel I am in a deficit" is not nearly the same thing as knowing you are.

Based on your numbers, using a typical calculator, you are eating approximately an average person of your age/weight/height who works out 5 days a week's basal metabolic rate. Meaning you are actually undereating. You don't have to eat back your exercise calories, but you do need to give your body the fuel it needs to support the life you are living. Assuming that your work out is 300 calories or so, you would need to eat around 1600 calories give or take.

If you had acute anorexia nervosa as an adolescent, it leaves you at high risk of perpetuating those behaviors throughout life, while considering them normal. The average anorexia patient affects their metabolic process permanently, to a level where to maintain their body moving forward, they tend to need higher levels of calories than most average people.

Have you ever tried increasing your calories modestly? Are you always trying to cut, rather than considering that maybe you aren't eating enough for your activity habits? The closer you get to goal, the more accurate you have to be about these things... It's time to stop explaining the why and how of every suggestion, and actually consider a real change to YOUR habits, rather than looking for an excuse outside of your control.

Thanks for that point taken, I have been told I am under eating too, by a nurse. She works for a Dietitian, and she spoke to her about it. I will take your advice on board. Thanks for your honesty.

No, you are not under eating. If you were then you would be losing weight. Stop looking for the answers you want to hear.

Well the jury's still out on that one mate

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

^This.

I know you want it to be
  • SoSusieQ
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

^This.

I know you want it to be

^This.

I know you want it to be

• SoSusieQ
    Options

^This.

I know you want it to be

^This.

I know you want it to be

No, no it is.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

^This.

I know you want it to be

^This.

I know you want it to be

No, no it is.

I think you might be unconvinced, but there's many of us who have come to a conclusion that you're quite simply eating too much

but that's fine - it's your journey

count or don't count; lose or don't lose weight - good luck
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

^This.

I know you want it to be

^This.

I know you want it to be

No, no it is.

So basically you had anorexia 40 years ago, have recently lost 30kg but suddenly your body's broke? I would say two months should be an excellent time frame to adjust your calories and observe your results

Why did you call the ladies that were trying to troubleshoot your calorie intake rude? It's an iterative process that usually results in finding out which item is being under logged to contribute to your seemingly low calories. By snapping at people you may have turned off others from helping you while your diary was still open

But there's more than one way to skin a cat I'm sure you'll figure things out ultimately

• SoSusieQ
    Options

^This.

I know you want it to be

^This.

I know you want it to be

No, no it is.

So basically you had anorexia 40 years ago, have recently lost 30kg but suddenly your body's broke? I would say two months should be an excellent time frame to adjust your calories and observe your results

Why did you call the ladies that were trying to troubleshoot your calorie intake rude? It's an iterative process that usually results in finding out which item is being under logged to contribute to your seemingly low calories. By snapping at people you may have turned off others from helping you while your diary was still open

But there's more than one way to skin a cat I'm sure you'll figure things out ultimately
    It was one lady and she wasn't helpful. It's not helpful when someone criticizes your choice of food intake, there are ways communicating with people and offering advice that is no way of doing it. There have been several people that "have" been really helpful and haven't resorted to rudeness. Please allow me to defend myself.
  • SoSusieQ
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

^This.

I know you want it to be

^This.

I know you want it to be

No, no it is.

I think you might be unconvinced, but there's many of us who have come to a conclusion that you're quite simply eating too much

For all the people that have told me I eating too much I would be very interested to know how many calories I should be eating.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

^This.

I know you want it to be

^This.

I know you want it to be

No, no it is.

For all the people that have told me I eating too much I would be very interested to know how many calories I should be eating.

Well it's your journey so clearly this is something that only you can work out and nobody can tell you

you start by weighing and logging accurately all your food
    you watch the exercise you're logging as calories and cut it by half

then if you aren't losing weight and I think 1lb in 50 days is a sign that you aren't you cut by 100 a day for a week - then another 100 until you find the sweet spot

if you start losing at too high a rate you increase by 100 a day for a week until it gets to the point you want it to be

- also you could have your thyroid checked for any issues that might interfere

If it helps I have been tracking my overall weight loss on trendweight.com and often have stalls of 2 - 3 weeks but my overall trend is still downwards but that's because I'm set to 0.5lbs a week and my water weight fluxes madly - if I wasn't seeing a drop over a month I'd take action as highlighted above
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

^This.

I know you want it to be

^This.

I know you want it to be

No, no it is.

You've lost weight so yes your body is able to lose weight. Your logging accuracy needs work. Stop using the measuring cups, weigh out your portions.

You also don't need to defend yourself against anyone, no one has been rude, except for you. You asked for helped you have been given advice but it's not what you want to hear. I also question 1/2 a nut logged.

Read this thread as it would help
    Eating more than you think
  • SoSusieQ
    Options

^This.

I know you want it to be

^This.

I know you want it to be

No, no it is.

Well it's your journey so clearly this is something that only you can work out and nobody can tell you

you start by weighing and logging accurately all your food
    you watch the exercise you're logging as calories and cut it by half

then if you aren't losing weight and I think 1lb in 50 days is a sign that you aren't you cut by 100 a day for a week - then another 100 until you find the sweet spot

if you start losing at too high a rate you increase by 100 a day for a week until it gets to the point you want it to be

- also you could have your thyroid checked for any issues that might interfere

If it helps I have been tracking my overall weight loss on trendweight.com and often have stalls of 2 - 3 weeks but my overall trend is still downwards but that's because I'm set to 0.5lbs a week and my water weight fluxes madly - if I wasn't seeing a drop over a month I'd take action as highlighted above

• SoSusieQ
    Options

^This.

I know you want it to be

^This.

I know you want it to be

No, no it is.

You've lost weight so yes your body is able to lose weight. Your logging accuracy needs work. Stop using the measuring cups, weigh out your portions.

You also don't need to defend yourself against anyone, no one has been rude, except for you. You asked for helped you have been given advice but it's not what you want to hear. I also question 1/2 a nut logged.

Read this thread as it would help
    Eating more than you think

• MelodyandBarbells
    Options

^This.

I know you want it to be

^This.

I know you want it to be

No, no it is.

It was one lady and she wasn't helpful. It's not helpful when someone criticizes your choice of food intake, there are ways communicating with people and offering advice that is no way of doing it. There have been several people that "have" been really helpful and haven't resorted to rudeness. Please allow me to defend myself.

Is it the "seriously?" That threw you off? Only she and like one other person tried to point out potential inaccuracies in your logging while your diary was open. You did get defensive. Maybe I'm missing something but there was no need to do so

At 1300 calories per day net at your weight you should be losing about .8 lb per week. Until proven otherwise, you are most likely consuming more calories than you think somewhere. Either something you're severely under logging, or an item you don't log at all because you may have thought it was 0 cals or very few cals, etc etc...
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

^This.

At her height and weight she could eat more (so long as it's accurately logged). I lost more weight when I increased my calories from 1200 to 1500.

I'm not sure what you've set MFP to lose, but set it for 1lb a week rather than 2lbs, if that's what you've done.

I appreciate weight loss is probably harder in your 50s. I'm 37 and losing weight after my third baby, and it took me until about 6 months post partum for the weight to start dropping off, despite eating well and exercising since my 6 week check. Hormones are funny!

For me, exercise, especially strength training, is what works and helps me lose weight. Also make sure you take measurements as well as stepping on the scales.
  • SoSusieQ
    Options

^This.

At her height and weight she could eat more (so long as it's accurately logged). I lost more weight when I increased my calories from 1200 to 1500.

I'm not sure what you've set MFP to lose, but set it for 1lb a week rather than 2lbs, if that's what you've done.

I appreciate weight loss is probably harder in your 50s. I'm 37 and losing weight after my third baby, and it took me until about 6 months post partum for the weight to start dropping off, despite eating well and exercising since my 6 week check. Hormones are funny!

For me, exercise, especially strength training, is what works and helps me lose weight. Also make sure you take measurements as well as stepping on the scales.

Thankyou so much :)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Just out of interest why do you quote posts without commenting?

not that it matters - after all the space is infinite, but I was wondering if you were losing posts?
  • SoSusieQ
    Options

^This.

I know you want it to be

^This.

I know you want it to be

No, no it is.

Is it the "seriously?" That threw you off? Only she and like one other person tried to point out potential inaccuracies in your logging while your diary was open. You did get defensive. Maybe I'm missing something but there was no need to do so

At 1300 calories per day net at your weight you should be losing about .8 lb per week. Until proven otherwise, you are most likely consuming more calories than you think somewhere. Either something you're severely under logging, or an item you don't log at all because you may have thought it was 0 cals or very few cals, etc etc...

Yes okay thanks, yes that did throw me off, where I come from it is considered a bit rude say that. I am not consuming more calories than stated, I am not under logging I am exercising for 35 to 45 minutes a most days. And I really don't want to eat less than 1200 cals per day
  • SoSusieQ
    Options
    Just out of interest why do you quote posts without commenting?

not that it matters - after all the space is infinite, but I was wondering if you were losing posts?

I was going to say something but I changed my mind.
  • SoSusieQ
    Options

^This.