Doing all the right things but my weight won't budge.

Options

Replies

• SoSusieQ
    SoSusieQ Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    SoSusieQ wrote: »
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    hcraven1 wrote: »
    I'm sorry to people who think they aren't being rude but reading through a lot of this some of this does sound a bit pushy and I can understand why she's getting defensive, because it's coming across like she's some petulant child living in denial. Tone doesn't always translate well in text.

Also, you don't always just have to focus on the diet side of things. If you're eating 1300 and not losing weight, instead of going down less, switch up your exercise. Incorporate strength and resistance training, and mix around your cardio. Maybe try swimming, or if you jog alternating between and easy pace and bursts of sprinting. Increasing your muscle tone will keep you healthier and make you look better anyway :)

Also, going through the menopause really does affect your metabolism, health and well being. It's a drawn out process, it can increase risk of osteoporosis, so eating below 1200 isn't really great for that either. It's not making excuses because your body suddenly doesn't work the way it used to.

It's great that other people aren't having issues this woman is but the whole point of this community is that it's meant to be supportive. She says she has a digital scale, weighs food, doesn't eat back calories and uses the recipe builder. Enough of you have told her she's not eating at a deficit but should. Message received. If you don't have any alternative advice, then you don't really need to be in the thread. That's all I came here to say.

Have you read any of this thread? Looked at OPs diary? OP has and answer and excuse for everything! I don't think she really wants to hear all the good advice she is getting.

NO that is not true

• SoSusieQ
    SoSusieQ Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Evette5683 wrote: »
    I am shocked I didnt see post about water intake. Maybe I missed it.

Double your water intake and add a bowl of fresh homemade veggie soup or decaf tea to every meal for two weeks you will be amazed at the results.

Thanks for that
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to people who think they aren't being rude but reading through a lot of this some of this does sound a bit pushy and I can understand why she's getting defensive, because it's coming across like she's some petulant child living in denial. Tone doesn't always translate well in text.

Also, you don't always just have to focus on the diet side of things. If you're eating 1300 and not losing weight, instead of going down less, switch up your exercise. Incorporate strength and resistance training, and mix around your cardio. Maybe try swimming, or if you jog alternating between and easy pace and bursts of sprinting. Increasing your muscle tone will keep you healthier and make you look better anyway :)

Also, going through the menopause really does affect your metabolism, health and well being. It's a drawn out process, it can increase risk of osteoporosis, so eating below 1200 isn't really great for that either. It's not making excuses because your body suddenly doesn't work the way it used to.

It's great that other people aren't having issues this woman is but the whole point of this community is that it's meant to be supportive. She says she has a digital scale, weighs food, doesn't eat back calories and uses the recipe builder. Enough of you have told her she's not eating at a deficit but should. Message received. If you don't have any alternative advice, then you don't really need to be in the thread. That's all I came here to say.

Thank you for your support, that is exactly what is what driving at the tone...I don't mind taking advice.

It's text you are reading the tone into it, because it's easier to say they are being mean rather than I might be doing something wrong.

Water intake & vegetable soup are not going to magically make you lose weight you have to be in a deficit. Put away the measuring cups use the food scale. Stop making excuses and work on correcting the issue.

No one has been rude, mean or anything else.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    edited December 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I'm special B)
    Yes, we know you are.
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    Accepting that you logging may not be correct might be the first step to achieving your goal.

^This.

I don't care how much your metabolism is messed up. You body requires a certain amount of energy to survivie. If you were truly eating only 1300 calories per day while also exercising then you should be losing weight.
    Quasita wrote: »
    My question was more, how do you know you're in a deficit if you don't know what your TDEE is? "I feel I am in a deficit" is not nearly the same thing as knowing you are.

Based on your numbers, using a typical calculator, you are eating approximately an average person of your age/weight/height who works out 5 days a week's basal metabolic rate. Meaning you are actually undereating. You don't have to eat back your exercise calories, but you do need to give your body the fuel it needs to support the life you are living. Assuming that your work out is 300 calories or so, you would need to eat around 1600 calories give or take.

If you had acute anorexia nervosa as an adolescent, it leaves you at high risk of perpetuating those behaviors throughout life, while considering them normal. The average anorexia patient affects their metabolic process permanently, to a level where to maintain their body moving forward, they tend to need higher levels of calories than most average people.

Have you ever tried increasing your calories modestly? Are you always trying to cut, rather than considering that maybe you aren't eating enough for your activity habits? The closer you get to goal, the more accurate you have to be about these things... It's time to stop explaining the why and how of every suggestion, and actually consider a real change to YOUR habits, rather than looking for an excuse outside of your control.

Just my two cents, from another ED recovery patient to another.

Thanks for that point taken, I have been told I am under eating too, by a nurse. She works for a Dietitian, and she spoke to her about it. I will take your advice on board. Thanks for your honesty.

No, you are not under eating. If you were then you would be losing weight. Stop looking for the answers you want to hear.

At her height and weight she could eat more (so long as it's accurately logged). I lost more weight when I increased my calories from 1200 to 1500.

I'm not sure what you've set MFP to lose, but set it for 1lb a week rather than 2lbs, if that's what you've done.

I appreciate weight loss is probably harder in your 50s. I'm 37 and losing weight after my third baby, and it took me until about 6 months post partum for the weight to start dropping off, despite eating well and exercising since my 6 week check. Hormones are funny!

For me, exercise, especially strength training, is what works and helps me lose weight. Also make sure you take measurements as well as stepping on the scales.

I'm not going to argue or debate over a troll but I will say this, eat at an actual deficit, lose weight. That is how it works for everyone. Not eat to little and stop losing weight or gain weight.

Eat to little and yes you can risk losing lbm but you will still lose weight. Put simply, if I locked you in a basement for 1 month and fed you 800 calories, water and a mulit vitamin, you will lose weight. Guaranteed, 100% of the time. Leave someone in the woods for 7 days, lost and stranded, that person will lose weight no matter who they are. Everyone thinks they are special but the truth is that at the end of the day we're all humans.

Are you locking people in the basement again? Can you feed me 800 calories of pizza thanks!
    The question is, who let you out? Did you chew through the ropes again?

Dawnie, I have a question for you, have you ever seen a contestant participate in the TV show Survivor, make it 25 or 30 days or to the end and come back fatter??

I bribed Leo with cookies to chew the ropes for me...
    I'm telling you if Leo wasn't so damn cute and lovable I would fire him. He's a terrible guard dog.

that's not a loveable dog

<-- that's a loveable dog - you can tell by the quantity of fluff

I have to admit that your dog does look pretty awesome.

Time for a dog off!!!

Don't make me bring my dog into this!

1934092_10647857462_1215_n.jpg?oh=2c33483f8a5c1a02ee5d560f18a1a090&oe=553A7F65
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Sorry but in this one ^ no ones noticing a dog!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Sorry but in this one ^ no ones noticing a dog!

LOL ahh the guy he's no big deal just my pain in the butt husband. My dog now he's adorable :)

My dog is camera shy but here
    1934092_10648002462_9069_n.jpg?oh=cbb6804a0303aec3435044a6ec5a38e7&oe=55029D11&__gda__=1425808628_990c6c40873b3b5e1be6df55c5eb5d76
  • catic32
    catic32 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Talk to a nutritionist or dietitian for a session or 2. They can help. At the end of the day you do not have a calorie deficit. If you did - you would lose weight.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

Thank you for your support, that is exactly what is what driving at the tone...I don't mind taking advice.

It's text you are reading the tone into it, because it's easier to say they are being mean rather than I might be doing something wrong.

Water intake & vegetable soup are not going to magically make you lose weight you have to be in a deficit. Put away the measuring cups use the food scale. Stop making excuses and work on correcting the issue.

No one has been rude, mean or anything else.

The sad part is that trolls take this attitude that the OP has because people will actually come here and do that. They ignore all the good advice, call them mean then focus on all the terrible advice they are given that validates that they are special. It's pathetic.

I agree!

But oh well we can have our dog off, basement locking pizza party
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Accepting that you logging may not be correct might be the first step to achieving your goal.

^This.

I don't care how much your metabolism is messed up. You body requires a certain amount of energy to survivie. If you were truly eating only 1300 calories per day while also exercising then you should be losing weight.
    My question was more, how do you know you're in a deficit if you don't know what your TDEE is? "I feel I am in a deficit" is not nearly the same thing as knowing you are.

Based on your numbers, using a typical calculator, you are eating approximately an average person of your age/weight/height who works out 5 days a week's basal metabolic rate. Meaning you are actually undereating. You don't have to eat back your exercise calories, but you do need to give your body the fuel it needs to support the life you are living. Assuming that your work out is 300 calories or so, you would need to eat around 1600 calories give or take.

If you had acute anorexia nervosa as an adolescent, it leaves you at high risk of perpetuating those behaviors throughout life, while considering them normal. The average anorexia patient affects their metabolic process permanently, to a level where to maintain their body moving forward, they tend to need higher levels of calories than most average people.

Have you ever tried increasing your calories modestly? Are you always trying to cut, rather than considering that maybe you aren't eating enough for your activity habits? The closer you get to goal, the more accurate you have to be about these things... It's time to stop explaining the why and how of every suggestion, and actually consider a real change to YOUR habits, rather than looking for an excuse outside of your control.

Thanks for that point taken, I have been told I am under eating too, by a nurse. She works for a Dietitian, and she spoke to her about it. I will take your advice on board. Thanks for your honesty.

No, you are not under eating. If you were then you would be losing weight. Stop looking for the answers you want to hear.

At her height and weight she could eat more (so long as it's accurately logged). I lost more weight when I increased my calories from 1200 to 1500.

I'm not sure what you've set MFP to lose, but set it for 1lb a week rather than 2lbs, if that's what you've done.

I appreciate weight loss is probably harder in your 50s. I'm 37 and losing weight after my third baby, and it took me until about 6 months post partum for the weight to start dropping off, despite eating well and exercising since my 6 week check. Hormones are funny!

For me, exercise, especially strength training, is what works and helps me lose weight. Also make sure you take measurements as well as stepping on the scales.

I'm not going to argue or debate over a troll but I will say this, eat at an actual deficit, lose weight. That is how it works for everyone. Not eat to little and stop losing weight or gain weight.

Eat to little and yes you can risk losing lbm but you will still lose weight. Put simply, if I locked you in a basement for 1 month and fed you 800 calories, water and a mulit vitamin, you will lose weight. Guaranteed, 100% of the time. Leave someone in the woods for 7 days, lost and stranded, that person will lose weight no matter who they are. Everyone thinks they are special but the truth is that at the end of the day we're all humans.

Are you talking to me?

I'm not an idiot, I know you need a deficit. I lost 66lbs after my second baby and I've lost a fair bit after my third already, but you can have too big a deficit sometimes. I'm guilty of that myself some days when I net under 1000 calories.

And people may not be 'special' but we all have a different metabolism and lose at different rates. It's stupid to think that our bodies all work in an identical way. I lose better eating lower carb, but that's not true for everyone.
  • DawnieB1977
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm special B)
    Yes, we know you are.

^This.

Are you locking people in the basement again? Can you feed me 800 calories of pizza thanks!

Dawnie, I have a question for you, have you ever seen a contestant participate in the TV show Survivor, make it 25 or 30 days or to the end and come back fatter??

Ffs, at what point did I say you wouldn't lose weight eating at a deficit? I just said that eating more helps sometimes as it did for me. (As in eating more than you were, not eating more than maintenance).

And these contestants, once they get home will probably regain the weight anyway.

P.S your locking people in the basement example...worrying!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - I browsed the thread and here is my suggestion..

for two weeks use a digital food scale and weigh/log/measure everything that you eat.
    make sure that your logging is accurate. For the database, I like to use the barcode scan and scan in items where I can. If I am not sure of something i check what the package says against what the database says. For vegetables, I always try to make sure to use the USDA entries….

try that and see what happens…

Also, if you lost 30 pounds did you adjust your calories based on your new weight?

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the whole thread so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned. Menopausal women can become insulin resistant due to the hormonal changes. Lowering carbs can be beneficial. Along with the other suggestions of food scale for accurate logging. Also, low impact exercise, not high impact, because excess raises cortisol and you don't want that with the already imbalanced hormones.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    I'm special B)
    Yes, we know you are.

^This.

Ffs, at what point did I say you wouldn't lose weight eating at a deficit? I just said that eating more helps sometimes as it did for me. (As in eating more than you were, not eating more than maintenance).

And these contestants, once they get home will probably regain the weight anyway.

P.S your locking people in the basement example...worrying!!

If she's not losing she's not in deficit, so eating more is not going to put her in a deficit, it's going to put her in a surplus.

P.S. His basement locking plan worked wonders for me I dropped over 100 lbs and ate pizza & gelato
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Yep, but it might be her logging isn't accurate, in which case she's not eating 1300.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Random question...I know gelato is the Italian for ice-cream, but why do Americans sometimes refer to it as gelato, and sometimes ice-cream? Is it a specific type of ice-cream? I'm English.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Yep, but it might be her logging isn't accurate, in which case she's not eating 1300.

Exactly so telling her to increase calories isn't going to help.

There's gelato and there's ice cream. Gelato is churned at a much slower rate, incorporating less air and leaving the gelato denser than ice cream. Its texture stays silkier and softer. Because it has a lower percentage of fat than ice cream, the main flavor ingredient really shines through.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options

Exactly so telling her to increase calories isn't going to help.

There's gelato and there's ice cream. Gelato is churned at a much slower rate, incorporating less air and leaving the gelato denser than ice cream. Its texture stays silkier and softer. Because it has a lower percentage of fat than ice cream, the main flavor ingredient really shines through.

I think I put ( if logged accurately) in brackets in my response to her :)

Thanks for the gelato info, I did wonder. Hmm, now I want some....
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Hi GivemeCoffee I have digital food scale too.

Then you should be using it to weigh ALL solid foods (in grams)... The only thing you should use measuring cups for are liquids. Also, PB/Mayo/Mustard/Ketchup/etc... are not liquids. I've made that mistake too.