Ladies-ravenous on your period?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eating small snacks all day is not a bad idea at all, because clearly big meals are not helping lol. I'll keep that in mind!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I do notice more intense cravings... but the only tip I have is to make note of how you are feeling and notice that it's because of your cycle. After that, it's a matter of just saying "No". It takes will power, just like any day. You just have to try a little harder and think about it. Also... more sleep! And your body might be craving iron filled foods too so try to eat red meat and dark green veggies.

Just like all those posts asking if people exercise during their period - stop letting something so insignificant (and frequent) run your life. Get used to it, you've likely had it for many years and will be dealing with it for many more to come. Just think of it like having a runny nose for a week.

This.

Periods should not be an excuse to avoid exercise or gorge ourselves. They happen every month for many years - it's not like it's a surprise.

LOL that this post got flagged.

Wasn't me, I swear!

And yeah it seems to happen during ovulation for me (with cramping and all the good stuff), sometimes it lasts until I get my period. It varies from month to month.

I actually didn't think it was you. You don't seem the petty type :)
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Oh the cravings. Yeah they come after me as well. I don't feel like I'm dying of hunger, but I do find that the little voice in the back of my head telling me to eat the whole bag of cheetos and drink 4 cokes, gets a lot louder during my TOM.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have issues during ovulation, as well?

Yes, sometimes. It's aggravating because I get bottomless stomach for 2 or 3 days a few days before my period starts, and for the first day of my period, too. So I try to be in a deficit (because I am trying to lose the last bit of weight) most of the time so there's some room for going over on those hungry hormonal days. I generally don't go over too hugely-- the most is about 400 calories-- since I would feel sick if I overate beyond about that much.
    cloudbustr wrote: »
    Opposite, either normal hunger levels, or I lose my appetite. It's bizarre.

Well that's lucky. I feel the same during ovulation as I do during my period. I even get cramping and breast tenderness. I guess I'm weird.

Nope. Me too. Or, we're both weird.

And I get that too! Again, only sometimes! It is weird but maybe not unusual if you know what I mean?

• ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    [quote="hiker_chick;30585773I also find that it doesn't matter if I eat a little or a lot, it's the frequency of the need to eat that hurts me. I try to pair my smallish snacks - so I'll have a few almonds with my square(s) of chocolate. Then the almonds (temporarily!) fill the hole and the chocolate fills the craving part and all of me is happy...for another hour LOL.

Now I want some cocoa almonds.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I do believe it is a craving for iron, at least for me. I make sure to eat plenty dark, leafy greens and add an iron supplement. I also purchase the Lindt 85% chocolate, and have a piece here and there. Did you know that dark chocolate is high in iron?

Some of you suggested that adding extra calcium and fats to your diet during this time helps. That is interesting. I am due quite soon and I will try this to see if it helps.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Oh the cravings. Yeah they come after me as well. I don't feel like I'm dying of hunger, but I do find that the little voice in the back of my head telling me to eat the whole bag of cheetos and drink 4 cokes, gets a lot louder during my TOM.

Oh man. I don't even like soda and end up craving it during my tom
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Blegh... Mother Nature strikes again. I've been ravenously hungry all this week, and, as soon as my curse comes, I am too nauseated to eat. I'm tempted to curl up in a corner, try to eat a small dinner, and use the leftover calories for whenever I am feeling better.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    oh god yes.. nobody better come between me and my huge chunk of dead cow when i have my period.

haven't had much success eliminating it, but keeping my blood sugar balanced has improved it.
  • veronakings
    Options
    lol I just feel like this all the time period or no period
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Mine comes the day or two after my period ends. Like.. today! No matter what I eat, I'm inexplicably hungry and occasionally lightheaded/dizzy. My blood sugar tends to hang out in the low-mid 70's, which probably explains all those symptoms.

Eating doesn't actually make it much better, and if I eat too much my gastroparesis means that I feel even worse - I can be sick to my stomach because I'm overfull and STILL hungry. I just drink lots and lots of hot green tea and figure that menopause is going to be even worse, so I should enjoy it while I can.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Linnaea27 wrote: »
    Does anyone else have issues during ovulation, as well?

Nope. Me too. Or, we're both weird. [/quote]

And I get that too! Again, only sometimes! It is weird but maybe not unusual if you know what I mean?

[/quote]

I do get what you mean. I also turn into a raging you-know-what with a very increased *ahem* drive right before ovulation. I use an app to track my dates, but every single month after thinking terrible thoughts about someone/something I look at it and think, "OH. That't it."

**Edited to add: I do find that working out really, really helps at both times.
  • gladass12
    gladass12 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i crave protein and carbs before the storm, so i usually give in to whatever craving i have. soon as it starts, my appetite dies down.. so i guess it events out later. it's depressing in the meantime though. doesn't help with the hormones raging and all!
  • Starlightstiel
    Starlightstiel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Everyone is affected different. My sister-in-law eats like a bird the whole month but absolutely gorges herself when she's on her period. Me? I get cramps so bad it makes me nauseous (I often puke at least a couple of times because of the pain), so I eat very little during TOM and normally end up losing the most during that time of the month.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    chouflour wrote: »
    I just drink lots and lots of hot green tea and figure that menopause is going to be even worse, so I should enjoy it while I can.

I'm thinking that hot flashes sound better than my hilariously unpredictable period. I never signed up to have these body parts, who do I return them to?
  • hummingbirdhope
    hummingbirdhope Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I ate 4,500 calories in chocolate over my maintenance for the week. I'm trying to fast today but it seems almost impossible. I'm wondering if maybe I should just move on, accept the weight gain, and have a normal day. Ugh
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Blegh... Mother Nature strikes again. I've been ravenously hungry all this week, and, as soon as my curse comes, I am too nauseated to eat. I'm tempted to curl up in a corner, try to eat a small dinner, and use the leftover calories for whenever I am feeling better.

I like sniffing peppermint essential oil when I'm nauseated. My boyfriend makes fun of me..but it makes me feel better
  • Lucknawi
    Lucknawi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm ravenous regardless... I don't get cycles (thank you meds for endo) but I get cycles of insatiable need for very specific foods... once I have them even in the littlest amount I am fine.. for a day or two. And now... what 37lbs and just one year after a lot of hardship that assisted in prevention of regular healthy consumption and lack of ability and space to exercise I am having to relearn how to deal with it.

Darn harmones/medications!!

In very, very short I find if I can have a morsel of what I craved I can get past the craving and remain on track.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear it's normal! I feel like I'm always starving during my period, even though I still feel chubby and bloated!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I ate 4,500 calories in chocolate over my maintenance for the week. I'm trying to fast today but it seems almost impossible. I'm wondering if maybe I should just move on, accept the weight gain, and have a normal day. Ugh

Starving yourself will just make you binge later. Just eat at a small deficit for a while.