Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    MBoteva wrote: »
    Start with soup

People who ate a low-calorie vegetable soup before a meal consumed 20% fewer calories at the meal, according to research from Penn State Unniversity. Have a low-calorie broth-based veggie soup before your largest meal of the day to reduce calories and lose weight without feeling hungry.

—Erin Palinski-Wade

Not a trick.....this is just a way to get into a deficit.
    and not a good way IMO but i don't care for soups
    Well, that IS important.

Please, no one else recommend anything that doesn't appeal to or isn't approved by adowe, ok? :D

I think the point he is trying to make is that "tricks" are personal preference.

And, also, eating soup before every meal would get really cumbersome after a while.
  • MBoteva
    MBoteva Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well, I do try to follow the calorie deficit. I have lost some kilos and I have gains some more, and then lost some again.

I do know that there is no magic trick to be found.

My problem is that I don't eat meat, well I eat fish,but that about sums it.
    I try to replace the protein with healthy alternative of meat.

I just wanted to know about some healthy advices on how to achieve this calorie deficit in a healthy not to self - abusing way.

I cannot just stop eating you know ;)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    BigT555 wrote: »
    in for people not realizing shes asking for tricks to help with a calorie deficit

yep, way too predictable on here.

Yep, kind of like the one poster who always comes in scolding everyone because it makes him feel superior. Happens every thread!

i'm a she and i found the ones telling her to eat a calorie deficit to be them trying to feel superior actually.

I said calorie deficit. Because it is the only true "trick" to weight loss.

People like to come up with a million different "tricks" for weight loss, whether it's the soup idea, or using smaller plates, drinking water before meals, eating six small meals a day, eating only 3 meals and no snacking, not eating after a certain time, not eating before a certain time, not eating certain foods, only eating certain foods, replacing foods with lower calorie foods that aren't necessarily better for you, eating only proportioned foods…the list goes on and on.

At the end of the day, you can do whatever little "tricks" you want, but if you're not in a calorie deficit, it doesn't matter. People waste too much time trying to "trick" themselves into weight loss when getting a food scale, learning proper portion sizes, and counting calories would not only get results but would also help them change the way they think about food and help them to make better choices in giving their body what it needs.

All these "tricks" that are advertised in magazines do is give people another way to avoid having to face their own eating habits and be accountable for their decisions. Admitting that you make poor food choices, or are an emotional eater, or have disordered eating habits, or just plain haven't been taking of yourself can be tough to face, but you're going to be much more successful identifying the problem and dealing with it. Or you can continue to sit around and pretend that your weight loss isn't happening because the plates are tricking you, or because you didn't get to eat every 2-3 hours and your metabolism fire is now only embers instead of a roaring blaze.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Well, I do try to follow the calorie deficit. I have lost some kilos and I have gains some more, and then lost some again.

I just wanted to know about some healthy advices on how to achieve this calorie deficit in a healthy not to self - abusing way.

Do you eat eggs? If you like eggs, they are a good source of protein and healthy fat for not many calories. I always have hard boiled eggs in my fridge.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    So if this is what tricks work for us personally, here's mine:

Eat at a deficit
    Eat ice cream/gelato or some treat nightly
    Eat a portion double the size of my husbands for dinner
    Only eat things I enjoy and don't ever consume cauliflower

See my tricks probably won't work for everyone, but these helped me lose over 120 lbs so I would say they work for me
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Start with soup

People who ate a low-calorie vegetable soup before a meal consumed 20% fewer calories at the meal, according to research from Penn State Unniversity. Have a low-calorie broth-based veggie soup before your largest meal of the day to reduce calories and lose weight without feeling hungry.

—Erin Palinski-Wade

Well, that IS important.

Please, no one else recommend anything that doesn't appeal to or isn't approved by adowe, ok? :D

I think the point he is trying to make is that "tricks" are personal preference.

And, also, eating soup before every meal would get really cumbersome after a while.
    I don't think anyone is under the impression any tip will work for all people and appeal to all people.

I don't think eating soup before dinner is cumbersome. It's for doing while in weight loss mode, though I don't think it'd be hard or a bad habit for life, either. Many people eat salad before dinner. Soup's easier.
  • PRMinx
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Start with soup

—Erin Palinski-Wade

Well, that IS important.

I don't think anyone is under the impression any tip will work for all people and appeal to all people.

I don't think eating soup before dinner is cumbersome. It's for doing while in weight loss mode, though I don't think it'd be hard or a bad habit for life, either. Many people eat salad before dinner. Soup's easier.

Again, opinion and personal preference regarding the soup.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    - Find the right calorie deficit for your situation. Trick is to minimise hunger and temptation and also provide your body with the nutrients it needs, while being below your maintenance burn.
    - Make good food choices beyond calories.....it will also make your calories go further. Keep your sugar target low and within that eat natural ones eg. fruit as much as possible. Also pay some attention to the GI index for your carbs.
    - Weigh and measure your food. Do not guess unless you have to, and be honest.
    - Plan your food diary on days where it is possible
    - Drink water through the day
    - Weigh yourself often and learn about your body, while keeping your eye on the trend....
    - Get exercising, and measure it accurately in terms of calories. Gadgets are your friend here if you can afford them.....( I use vivofit and Garmin 620, and HRM for all activities. About to go to 920xt to cover all if Santa listens to my wishes ;-) )
    - Reward yourself with days off or days where you go over your limit, as long as you make up for it on other days. You have to live.

LOL GI Index

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

No need to stop eating. Just figure out what your calories needs are and eat in a deficit. Eat what you like just less of eat. Protein helps to keep you fuller. Add a little exercise like walking for an extra calorie burn :)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Start with soup

—Erin Palinski-Wade

Well, that IS important.

Although the suggestion to eat a bowl of soup before your LARGEST meal of the day makes sense. Then again, I love soup and eat it a lot. Homemade of course. None of that sodium-laden canned stuff.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    in for people not realizing shes asking for tricks to help with a calorie deficit

Yep, kind of like the one poster who always comes in scolding everyone because it makes him feel superior. Happens every thread!

I assume your talking about moi. i just hate it when people nitpick things just so they can point out someone is wrong, when they are creating a perfectly good discussion, which has actually appeared on this forum many times with no problem before

Not everyone understands the deficit concept when they are new. It can be rather shocking for people to hear that they can eat what they want, just less of it.

And, pot please meet kettle. Because you nitpick everything.

sorry for the late reply, had some stuff to do

anywho, if you've been on this site for more than a day you know the key to weight loss is a calorie deficit. just look at this one post that got jumped all over by 10 different users on the first page because it didnt say "calorie deficit tricks"

wanna give me an example of how i nitpick everything?
  • BigT555
    edited December 2014
    Options
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

and there are still no tricks to be found...

no, there are. drinking more water and eating more filling low calorie, high nutrition foods like steamed vegetables result in my eating less calories overall because they fill me.

and that is a trick? Sounds more like a strategy...

As long as you keep telling yourself that you have to "trick" yourself, your chances of lifelong success will diminish... Do not underestimate the power of mindset.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    - Find the right calorie deficit for your situation. Trick is to minimise hunger and temptation and also provide your body with the nutrients it needs, while being below your maintenance burn.
    - Make good food choices beyond calories.....it will also make your calories go further. Keep your sugar target low and within that eat natural ones eg. fruit as much as possible. Also pay some attention to the GI index for your carbs.
    - Weigh yourself often and learn about your body, while keeping your eye on the trend....
    - Get exercising, and measure it accurately in terms of calories. Gadgets are your friend here if you can afford them.....( I use vivofit and Garmin 620, and HRM for all activities. About to go to 920xt to cover all if Santa listens to my wishes ;-) )
    - Reward yourself with days off or days where you go over your limit, as long as you make up for it on other days. You have to live.

LOL GI Index
    It's a good think you're here to laugh at the tips. I'm sure everyone would hate to try something you found laughable.

If you don't like a tip, why not just move on, folks? It's not like anyone's recommending others puke up meals or something.
  • BigT555
    Options

no, there are. drinking more water and eating more filling low calorie, high nutrition foods like steamed vegetables result in my eating less calories overall because they fill me.

As long as you keep telling yourself that you have to "trick" yourself, your chances of lifelong success will diminish... Do not underestimate the power of mindset.

look up strategy in the thesaurus and trick is a top suggestion. i dont see how people are struggling with this concept
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

LOL GI Index
    It's a good think you're here to laugh at the tips. I'm sure everyone would hate to try something you found laughable.

If you don't like a tip, why not just move on, folks? It's not like anyone's recommending others puke up meals or something.

And just how are you contributing by policing what other people say?

GI index is a laughable tip and was something that when I started I thought was important but by people laughing it made me go do some research.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

look up strategy in the thesaurus and trick is a top suggestion. i dont see how people are struggling with this concept

I get the concept. I think the language is flawed. What we tell ourselves has a powerful effect.
  • PRMinx
    Options

I assume your talking about moi. i just hate it when people nitpick things just so they can point out someone is wrong, when they are creating a perfectly good discussion, which has actually appeared on this forum many times with no problem before

Not everyone understands the deficit concept when they are new. It can be rather shocking for people to hear that they can eat what they want, just less of it.

And, pot please meet kettle. Because you nitpick everything.

sorry for the late reply, had some stuff to do

anywho, if you've been on this site for more than a day you know the key to weight loss is a calorie deficit. just look at this one post that got jumped all over by 10 different users on the first page because it didnt say "calorie deficit tricks"

wanna give me an example of how i nitpick everything?

And you've been around here long enough to know that's not always the case.

You jump on people all the time based on your perception or opinion about what you think is important. You did it to me yesterday when I was actually trying to make a valid point.

Feel free to do that - but don't think that doesn't make you a hypocrite.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Logging accurately and maintaining a deficit is the only way to go. It's the honesty that's the tricky part.

There are some really easy things you can do to lower your calories. Switch to diet soft drinks or choose one that has lower calories. Low fat sour cream, cream cheese, or mushroom soup oftentimes comes with lower calories and switching to the lower fat stuff can help you stay within your macros. (I'm always over on my fat....)

Smaller plates/bowls really help me to keep my portion sizes in control - especially when it comes to ice cream. It's actually astounding the amount of ice cream calories I used to eat in one sitting.

I still eat while watching tv, but when I do I take a little bowl of chips or popcorn to eat and ditch the bag in the kitchen so I won't keep snacking when I'm not hungry and lose track of how much I've eaten.

Eating larger meals and smaller snacks that fit within my calorie goal helps me stay on track so I don't get super hungry and eat every piece of chocolate in the grocery store.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options

LOL GI Index

And just how are you contributing by policing what other people say?
    By encouraging sharing of tips and discouraging the barbs from the peanut gallery.

If you don't like GI, don't use it. You don't get to pick The One True Diet.