cannot do push ups :(

Options
124»

Replies

• Wondertje
    Wondertje Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you're still following this thread, but I know what it's like to not be able to do a push-up. I can't really do them either, not even on my knees. What I do is the "box" push-up, where you're just standing on your knees and hands kind of in a box-shape on the floor and then just lower your arms/upper body down and up again. That's honestly all I can do for about 10-15 reps.

Personally I'm not sure why I can't do them though, 'cause I can benchpress much, MUCH more than that - it's just something about the push-up, not sure where, what part or why my body is caving with trying to do them. I'd recommend just keep trying though, I'm aiming on trying to do a few on my knees in the upcoming week(s) to see how it goes.

Good luck! :smile:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Start against a wall. When you can do that, switch to a high support so you're at an angle, then move to a bench.

If you do it this way, you avoid the knee style, which doesn't really prepare you for full push ups.

Yes, doing them in the water with flotation weights will work too.
  • Tanocas
    Options
    I have zero upper body strength so I started doing them on the wall. It sounds silly, but it's working! I'm slowly making my way to regular push ups. Keep at it! :smile:
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Tanocas wrote: »
    I have zero upper body strength so I started doing them on the wall. It sounds silly, but it's working! I'm slowly making my way to regular push ups. Keep at it! :smile:
    Start against a wall. When you can do that, switch to a high support so you're at an angle, then move to a bench.

If you do it this way, you avoid the knee style, which doesn't really prepare you for full push ups.

Yes, doing them in the water with flotation weights will work too.
    Wondertje wrote: »
    Not sure if you're still following this thread, but I know what it's like to not be able to do a push-up. I can't really do them either, not even on my knees. What I do is the "box" push-up, where you're just standing on your knees and hands kind of in a box-shape on the floor and then just lower your arms/upper body down and up again. That's honestly all I can do for about 10-15 reps.

Personally I'm not sure why I can't do them though, 'cause I can benchpress much, MUCH more than that - it's just something about the push-up, not sure where, what part or why my body is caving with trying to do them. I'd recommend just keep trying though, I'm aiming on trying to do a few on my knees in the upcoming week(s) to see how it goes.

Good luck! :smile:

Thanks!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    rachy - ignore the troll kids.

Really, pushups are easy, you probably already do them to get off the ground. Start modified, and do as many as you can with full range of motion, then when you're dying, do partials, then do static holds. Rest, do it all over again.

Do negatives. Just be aggressive with it. It's a basic body functionality movement, so you'll get it very quickly.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    lanygren wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    Just learn to do pushups. its just that you dont know how too

That's BS. Someone with no upper body strength (yet) will absolutely struggle with pushups until they develop the strength, even if they know how to. What a dumb comment.

It's the return of crap trolling.

Some people on other websites must be bored or school's out for Christmas...

you can suck a wank you no good selfish *kitten*

That's BS. Someone with no upper body strength (yet) will absolutely struggle with pushups until they develop the strength, even if they know how to. What a dumb comment.

yes those hooligans

Will this trolling get any better?

I'm just surprised they can actually read.

you can suck a wank you no good selfish *kitten*

yes those hooligans

Will this trolling get any better?

I'm just surprised they can actually read.

I'm also surprised at how easy it is to get them to dance...

I don't dance. I weigh 350 pounds.
    Next time don't be so rude you filthy person.

Annnnd, now we know it's not a they. Just a really bored and pathetic person with two accounts.

If people are going to troll, they should at least try.... I mean, they claim to be a 350lb national team water polo player. That's like 1+1=tomato.
  • dbmata
    Options
    tomato.jpeg
  • KJoubert1966
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

if you have stairs- you can work down stair by stair as you get stronger.

Start higher- work your way down.

Best advice in this thread^^^^

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Oh, has the BB.com Misc peeps come to MFP for a raid? Or did they get banned?

Anyways, OP, start off with Wall Push Ups. Once you can do 15-20 of them in a set, progress by slowly moving your feet farther and farther from the wall.

After a certain point, you'll have to move on to knee push ups. Again, do those until you can do 15-20 in a set then give full push ups a go :) That's how I progressed on them and I can even do decline ones now :)
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My wife went through this training for the police academy, started couldn't do any and built up to 19 over the course of a couple months.

She started doing negatives (holding at a plank and then lowering herself down slowly, she couldn't push up at the time). Then doing ones with he arms elevated, first against a counter, then on the stairs and lower and lower until she was close to doing them on the ground. She began alternating with modified pushups. Once she could do one solid standard pushup, she would do that every day, and attempt that second one (which was like a negative at first). Repeat as the number increased.

It really is all about doing them over and over every day, try googling "grease the groove".
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for the advice the stairs are really helping!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Only thing on TV is Mounties, and Rock and Bullwinkle... I can understand the need for internet.

Hey.....I loved Rocky & Bullwinkle, let's not get personal about this! :D

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for the advice the stairs are really helping!

xthumb.gif
  • dbmata
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Only thing on TV is Mounties, and Rock and Bullwinkle... I can understand the need for internet.

Hey.....I loved Rocky & Bullwinkle, let's not get personal about this! :D

They had a great pizza chain down in so cal. ;)
  • peter7361
    peter7361 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Do negatives until you can do one good push up, then do as many sets of one push up as you want. To do negatives:
    1. Get into the "up" position for a push up, with your feet about shoulder width apart and your hands just outside of shoulder width apart. Once you get up, stay off your knees.
    2. Slowly lower yourself to the floor, bending at the elbows and keeping your back strait, counting to five as you do.
    3. Once your chest touches the floor, put your knees down and lift yourself back into the "up" position and repeat.

Do five negatives first thing when you get out of bed each morning. After two weeks, you should be able to do regular push ups.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

if you have stairs- you can work down stair by stair as you get stronger.

Start higher- work your way down.

Best advice in this thread^^^^

Great idea. But start standing and do the wall first.
  • upasanaD
    Options
    i was also facing the same problem, then i started with wall push ups. I was able to do 50 count in one set. Then started with floor push ups. But at the beginning i was not able to go down fully. But now i can do 10 sets of 5. My advice is try to increase your upper body strength with planks and wall push ups.
  • ERH56
    ERH56 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Begin by doing as many push ups as you can for one minute, even if it's only a few. Do this several times a week. Then work your way up to 2 minutes, then start in various positions. When I was told to do this I thought it was just another exercise myth, it is not. An ex military man told me this was how he was trained and it works. Now, rather than just trying to get 15 to 20 push ups in a workout I do 360 to 600, going in 6 different positions. 60 to 100 in the standard position, the V hand position, the narrow hand position, the wide position, the regular position lifting the right leg, the regular position lifting the left leg. Today I'm incorporating the T push up. Yes, at first it's hard, but well worth it. You can add strength and endurance, don't have to go to a gym or own weights. Another exercise to incorporate into this workout are planks in different positions. You can go to YouTube and find 6 to 10 minute workouts for planks. I'll post 3 plank workouts below. The first 2 are around 6 to 8 minutes. The last one is 10 minutes and much harder. To be honest, I haven't started the 10 minute workout yet but plan to incorporate it in over the holidays.

I would say, "Good luck," but luck will have nothing to do with it. You can do this, just start one at a time or half a push up at a time. Then share with us how you're doing in six months. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what you can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvzaUmLaTjI (6-8 minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mV-c3u2KAQ (6-8 minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DNN9a5pU2A (10 minutes, a bit harder to do)
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    i am really struggling i have no upper body strength. even modifying is too hard. any tips?
    Hang in there! I've been doing incline push-ups (40 yesterday) until my wrists are able to handle the full exercise. My last set was down to a 30-degree angle. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yes you can

I couldn't do push-ups for 47 years

Now I can ...3 sets of 12 today with my toes elevated on a 3 foot bench

If an old broad like me can do it, so can you