carbs are my enemy

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

rdigiovine wrote: »
    [
    Wait, what? That's exactly what leads to weight gain!
    [/quote]

Good catch there rdigiovine.

How does one actually knowing where he or she is over or under eating required calories was my initial main thought.

I know depending on what software one uses how much one is to eat to gain or lose weight can be different. Is the number to be consider factual or a starting point to be tweaked?

If it is not an absolute number then why not start of at a .5 pound per week and see the results to learn if estimated number of calories is on target or high or low based on the results?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    [

How does one actually knowing where he or she is over or under eating required calories was my initial main thought.

I know depending on what software one uses how much one is to eat to gain or lose weight can be different. Is the number to be consider factual or a starting point to be tweaked?

If it is not an absolute number then why not start of at a .5 pound per week and see the results to learn if estimated number of calories is on target or high or low based on the results?

[/quote]

I think gale's spam bot broke...
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    A couple studies came through my radar:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140917151935.htm
    "For the first eight weeks, all the participants ate a traditional high-fiber East Asian diet with 70% of calories from carbohydrates, 15% from protein and 15% from fat, and providing 15 g fiber/1,000 kcal."
    "For the second eight weeks, 33 of the volunteers (20 Asian Americans and 13 Caucasian Americans) transitioned to a typical low-fiber western diet with 50% of calories from carbohydrates, 16% from protein and 34% from fat, and providing 6 g fiber/1,000 kcal."
    Maintaining those steady body weights for trial participants was a challenge, King remarks. "It was almost impossible to prevent people from losing weight on the Asian diet, and that was not because the food wasn't good!" he says. "And almost everybody gained weight on the western diet, and we had to work very hard so they didn't gain too much."
    On the 70% carbohydrate diet they were dropping weight too fast!
    The study: TAD=Traditional Asian Diet TWD=Traditional Western Diet
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0106851
    "The combination of high fiber and low fat composition in TAD may also improve insulin sensitivity, since a high fiber diet has been reported to decrease glucose absorption, improve insulin response and glycemic control [30], [31]. The lower fat content of TAD than TWD further improves insulin sensitivity by lowering free fatty acids, which are known to induce insulin resistance by inhibiting insulin metabolic signaling pathways [32]."

http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2014/12/vegan-ma-pi-diet-bests-conventional.html
    High-carb vegan ma-pi diet best conventional treatment for diabetes in recent RCT. The obese diabetics in this study followed a high carb low fat diet and their fasting glucose dropped to normal range, while consuming 300 grams of carbs a day

Thank you for posting this. I have noticed that the standard MFP advice for diabetes and pre-diabetes seems to be to go law carb and I strongly believe that it's definitely not the only way to go.

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    Oh, for *kitten*'s sake.
    I *try* to eat whole foods. I try not to eat more than 20g of net carbs a day. And I try not to eat foods that have ingredients that are fillers or sugars or faux sugars. I'm a bit hypocritical, though, because I do like DaVinci sugar-free vanilla syrup in my soda water. (And, yes, I know soda water is processed!) And I will eat these junky tortillas.

Sue me.

uwzxbzmz31jd.jpg

That is an awesome kid for sure. I think we can agree rdigiovine can write with a flair. :)

• Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs, been eating carbs, not stopping carbs. Yaaaay carbs!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    i am 27 3 kids under 5 go to work, still workout try to eat well but sometimes let food choices get in the way. its not an excuse but when pushed to your limits and your tired. me personally i grab the wrong foods. i hadnt yet learnt that for me i cant eat what i want or the types of foods i want. now my work friend she gorges on mcdonalds every sunday and is as thin as a stick. then i have to keep reminding myself she is thin but unhealthy. but it would be nice to have a thin toned body but also a healthy heart.

i had issues before the babies but the babies made it worse since dieting when pregnant is not an option and working out was hard on my body ( i had severe pelvic pain)

can i just add, since dropping the carb level to 90 increasing fat to 53 and protein to 90 i feel great today, not bloated, better food choices, more water and managed to do my 30 day shred without almost crying!!
    Weight loss is a LOT more than CICO which is one important factor of weight loss...
    Gale, with all due respect, the above statement is misinformation. CICO is the only qualifying factor to weight loss, because if you don't eat less than you burn you will not lose weight. Any other factors have to do with personal preferences or medical conditions that need to be addressed.

If that was factual then overeating would lead to weight gain.

The wild card is there are not three people on the site per my guess that even know how many calories they need to be eating to lose or gain weight but just work of a best guess of some software developer working off of some data that may or may not be valid. If we can get more science into how to eat for best health it would be helpful I expect.

We know many eating 1200 calories daily are doing harm to their health because they are clueless as to how the number was computed or why. CICO is a factor but not the only factor.

Overeating DOES lead to weight gain...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    i am 27 3 kids under 5 go to work, still workout try to eat well but sometimes let food choices get in the way. its not an excuse but when pushed to your limits and your tired. me personally i grab the wrong foods. i hadnt yet learnt that for me i cant eat what i want or the types of foods i want. now my work friend she gorges on mcdonalds every sunday and is as thin as a stick. then i have to keep reminding myself she is thin but unhealthy. but it would be nice to have a thin toned body but also a healthy heart.

i had issues before the babies but the babies made it worse since dieting when pregnant is not an option and working out was hard on my body ( i had severe pelvic pain)

can i just add, since dropping the carb level to 90 increasing fat to 53 and protein to 90 i feel great today, not bloated, better food choices, more water and managed to do my 30 day shred without almost crying!!
    Weight loss is a LOT more than CICO which is one important factor of weight loss...
    Gale, with all due respect, the above statement is misinformation. CICO is the only qualifying factor to weight loss, because if you don't eat less than you burn you will not lose weight. Any other factors have to do with personal preferences or medical conditions that need to be addressed.

The wild card is there are not three people on the site per my guess that even know how many calories they need to be eating to lose or gain weight but just work of a best guess of some software developer working off of some data that may or may not be valid. If we can get more science into how to eat for best health it would be helpful I expect.

We know many eating 1200 calories daily are doing harm to their health because they are clueless as to how the number was computed or why. CICO is a factor but not the only factor.

obviously Gale lives in the 5th dimension where math, science, and physics cease to exist...
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited December 2014
    Options
    [

It's called a food scale.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10034987/where-does-the-fat-go#latest

OK at last a video version of CICO and that we are actually living off of sunlight.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

obviously Gale lives in the 5th dimension where math, science, and physics cease to exist...

Tisk, tisk. I think he needs to lay off the impersonating and take a couple math and science courses at his local community college. :\
  • GaleHawkins
    edited December 2014
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=vuIlsN32WaE

FatFreeFrolicking this math and science video spelled out the CICO in a simple to understand way. He if funny as well.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=vuIlsN32WaE

FatFreeFrolicking this math and science video spelled out the CICO in a simple to understand way. He if funny as well.

Peer-reviewed studies, Gale, not Youtube videos.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Other people with balloons didn't fair as well....

Fire-balloon.gif?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

Fire-balloon.gif?
    Laughsssss
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

Fire-balloon.gif?
    Laughsssss

Thoroughly enjoy him attempting to blow it out. . . . .
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Some people on 1200 are probably harming their health, yes. But are they losing weight? Yes. In a healthy and sustainable way probably not, for some. We're talking about whether CICO works for weight loss. Yes. It does. You're trying to lead the discussion into general heath, which is not what others were talking about.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited December 2014
    Options

Some people on 1200 are probably harming their health, yes. But are they losing weight? Yes. In a healthy and sustainable way probably not, for some. We're talking about whether CICO works for weight loss. Yes. It does. You're trying to lead the discussion into general heath, which is not what others were talking about.

After that video I do see where the point of view you are talking about CICO. Yes I am into general health over just weight loss.

However only a fool would say CICO does NOT work for weight loss alone.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MLKj1puoWCg

At 4:50 into the video this guy talks about getting fat makes our brains get smaller so weight loss he thinks can make us act smarter. CICO applied could help recover brain size perhaps.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

So in other words, all the people that claim they are losing weight when they cut out junk carbs and sugar, but are still eating a similar amount of calories, are delusional or don't know how to count?
    Obviously they are not eating the same amount of calories or they would not be losing weight, All the people you are referring to chose carbs and sugar to cut, which created a calorie deficit.

There are no properties in carbs and sugar that create weight gain. It is the overall consumption of calories that causes weigh gain.

So, the delusion is in thinking that carbs and sugar cause weight gain.

• ndj1979
    Options

After that video I do see where the point of view you are talking about CICO. Yes I am into general health over just weight loss.

However only a fool would say CICO does NOT work for weight loss alone.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MLKj1puoWCg

At 4:50 into the video this guy talks about getting fat makes our brains get smaller so weight loss he thinks can make us act smarter. CICO applied could help recover brain size perhaps.

is that Klingon you are speaking? Because I have no clue as to what the hell you are saying...
This discussion has been closed.