• rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    rdigiovine wrote: »
    i think i found the problem to my weight loss stalls, carbs... slowly been creeping in again even though i am keeping the calories down i seem to have a problem with crisps, potatoes,pizza,chips, pasta rice etc when i cut it out the weight comes off. surely this cant be a coincidence?

As you can see you are not alone in finding carbs are the sneaky calories. :)

I can over eat by a 1000 calories a day and if they are carbs it is bad news at weight-in since they become glucose. Protein is so so because about half of them become glucose and Fats just do not seem to add much if any to my short term weight gain since they do not go to glucose in any meaningful way it seems inside of MY body. A professional body builder that is burning off the glucose may see no weight gain like I do.

After being glucose fueled for over 60 years I had to go very low carb (<50 grams daily) a few month ago to drop my weight it seemed below my 220-250 years of yo yoing range. 220 was like a stone wall over and over until I became mainly fueled by ketones instead of glucose that killed the carb craving when only doing 5% carbs. If I did not cold turkey carbs they would in a short time become 30-50 of my diet again in my personal case.

adowe makes a good point about how we will cut calories if we cut carbs in most cases. This is the reason many on very low carb diets just count carbs vs calories because with Sweet Tooth pulled and the carb craving gone we do not tend to overeat on just Fats and Protein.

This may just be me but if I eat something with even a few grams of sugar now I can fire up the carb craving.

Young active healthy people can get away with murder when it comes to your diets. Get to social security age and we often get thrown in jail for just 'J Walking' (not crossing the street where the traffic signal is located). At 20 anything goes, at 40 not as much but at 60+ my diet is critical to what I weigh and how I feel.

Yes for some of us it is very easy to get burned if we play with Carbs.

Yes I had problems abusing carbs when I was younger too but got away with for a while. At my age my suggestion would be to you that are still on the young side is to try to deal with carb craving now so you are not a health wreck down the road. Carb cravings only get WORSE with time.

OP, just ignore the above^^^

50% of protein does not turn into glucose
    Young people can't get away with murder just because they are you. He's just trying to play the "Old man" card. Just nonsense.
    And there is no way he is eating under 5% carbs. That's pretty much no fruits or vegetables either.

Plus, he uses a fake profile to pass as himself.
    Some of it is bull or broscience, but I do eat about 5% of my calories from carbs and eat plenty of vegetables. They're my only source of carbs. It's totally possible.

I no longer have any sugar or simple carbohydrate cravings. I can look at pasta and bread and cupcakes and cookies and just walk away. Has really changed my life.

Can I see an example of your days menu?

Sure, here's a good day:

Breakfast:
    Generic - Mozzarella Cheese Stick, 2 stick
    Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 1.5 cup (8 fl oz)

Lunch:
    Generic - Raw Shredded Carrot, 0.1 cup (85 g)
    Beets - Cooked, boiled, drained, 0.25 cup slices
    Geisha - Sliced Water Chestnuts Natural, 1/4 c
    Marie's - Creamy Ranch Dressing, 4 tbsp
    Grilled Eggplant - Eggplant, 0.25 cup
    Generic - Banana Peppers, Sliced, 6 slices (About 2 whole)
    Generic - Mesclun Salad Greens, 1 cup
    Dole - Chopped Romaine Salad, 1 cups
    Scallions - Scallions, 3 Tablespoon
    Avocados - Raw, 3 oz(s)
    Homemade - Chicken Kebabs, 0.5 kebab

Dinner:
    Egglands Best - Large Egg, 2 egg
    Cheese - Monterey Jack, 1 oz(s)
    Dairy Fresh - Sour Cream, 2 Tablespoons (30g)
    Joseph's - Flax, Oat Bran, Wheat Flour Tortilla, 1 tortilla
    Spinach - Raw, 1 cup

Supplements:
    Mio - Cherry Blackberry, 1 tsp
    Morton - Lite Salt Mixture 50% Less Sodium, 1/2 tsp
    Kirkland Magnesium Citrate, 2

Edited to add: this is about 1300 calories and 24g net carbs, which is 7% carbs. I don't usually eat Frankenfoods like the low-carb tortilla, but I love me a breakfast burrito every once in a great while.

Am I the only one having trouble getting these calories to make sense?

Where exactly is there 96g of fat on that list?
    Or your protein intake?

No. I had trouble, too.

me too protein and fat need to be increased if carbs are that low. energy does need to come from somewhere now either one of those is fine however its how its utilised in the body.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    ah however for someone with an allowance of 1200 calories a day sugar can be a bit of a problem. i like chocolate however i have one roses strawberry dream and i am up 16g of carbs and a crap loads of sugar. its possible to eat those foods however only 1 or 2 and then its not worth it but then for people with food addictions e.g me that would then send me into a spiral of problems with going back to those foods and eating them all the time. by all means if your eating to maintain your current weight eat things in moderation as long as its right for your body however if your on 12-1300 cals like me then i know im best keeping sugary foods to a minimum including high sugar fruits
    ah however for someone with an allowance of 1200 calories a day sugar can be a bit of a problem. i like chocolate however i have one roses strawberry dream and i am up 16g of carbs and a crap loads of sugar. its possible to eat those foods however only 1 or 2 and then its not worth it but then for people with food addictions e.g me that would then send me into a spiral of problems with going back to those foods and eating them all the time. by all means if your eating to maintain your current weight eat things in moderation as long as its right for your body however if your on 12-1300 cals like me then i know im best keeping sugary foods to a minimum including high sugar fruits

Nevermind.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

I'm on low calories too because I'm short. My diary is public. Feel free to look. Today will be a high carb day because I had a carby lunch and didn't exercise, but I usually net around 100g of carbs. (I eat a LOT of fiber.)

I have a stash of dark chocolate on hand and could have a piece if I wanted it. I haven't wanted a piece in a while, so it just sits there.

As for fruit? Rarely I have an apple, it's usually just berries, they're not too bad, sugar-wise.

I've had problems with food all my life. I've made small changes over a long period of time. Coming to MFP has allowed me to make a final change--proper portioning.

• blktngldhrt
    Options
    i think i found the problem to my weight loss stalls, carbs... slowly been creeping in again even though i am keeping the calories down i seem to have a problem with crisps, potatoes,pizza,chips, pasta rice etc when i cut it out the weight comes off. surely this cant be a coincidence?

I can over eat by a 1000 calories a day and if they are carbs it is bad news at weight-in since they become glucose. Protein is so so because about half of them become glucose and Fats just do not seem to add much if any to my short term weight gain since they do not go to glucose in any meaningful way it seems inside of MY body. A professional body builder that is burning off the glucose may see no weight gain like I do.

After being glucose fueled for over 60 years I had to go very low carb (<50 grams daily) a few month ago to drop my weight it seemed below my 220-250 years of yo yoing range. 220 was like a stone wall over and over until I became mainly fueled by ketones instead of glucose that killed the carb craving when only doing 5% carbs. If I did not cold turkey carbs they would in a short time become 30-50 of my diet again in my personal case.

adowe makes a good point about how we will cut calories if we cut carbs in most cases. This is the reason many on very low carb diets just count carbs vs calories because with Sweet Tooth pulled and the carb craving gone we do not tend to overeat on just Fats and Protein.

This may just be me but if I eat something with even a few grams of sugar now I can fire up the carb craving.

Young active healthy people can get away with murder when it comes to your diets. Get to social security age and we often get thrown in jail for just 'J Walking' (not crossing the street where the traffic signal is located). At 20 anything goes, at 40 not as much but at 60+ my diet is critical to what I weigh and how I feel.

Yes I had problems abusing carbs when I was younger too but got away with for a while. At my age my suggestion would be to you that are still on the young side is to try to deal with carb craving now so you are not a health wreck down the road. Carb cravings only get WORSE with time.

Young people can't get away with murder just because they are you. He's just trying to play the "Old man" card. Just nonsense.
    And there is no way he is eating under 5% carbs. That's pretty much no fruits or vegetables either.

Some of it is bull or broscience, but I do eat about 5% of my calories from carbs and eat plenty of vegetables. They're my only source of carbs. It's totally possible.

I no longer have any sugar or simple carbohydrate cravings. I can look at pasta and bread and cupcakes and cookies and just walk away. Has really changed my life.

Sure, here's a good day:

Breakfast:

Lunch:
    Avocados - Raw, 3 oz(s)

Dinner:
    Spinach - Raw, 1 cup

Supplements:

Edited to add: this is about 1300 calories and 24g net carbs, which is 7% carbs. I don't usually eat Frankenfoods like the low-carb tortilla, but I love me a breakfast burrito every once in a great while.

Or your protein intake?

No. I had trouble, too.

me too protein and fat need to be increased if carbs are that low. energy does need to come from somewhere now either one of those is fine however its how its utilised in the body.

You're missing the point.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Sure, here's a good day:

Breakfast:

Lunch:
    Avocados - Raw, 3 oz(s)

Dinner:
    Spinach - Raw, 1 cup

Supplements:

Or your protein intake?
    I'm flattered you care so much about my macros. ;-)

FYI, there's 86g of fat from that list.

The other poster asked what my target macros are and I gave them to her. I did not hit my protein macro that day. I was about 24g short, which is the protein shake I usually have but didn't that day.

I aim to eat 1300kcal, 20g net carbs and 90g protein. I do not always hit 96g of fat. I plan my meals out every day, but not every day is perfect in execution.

Ok. There's nowhere near the fat you say in there. Protein is people Beiber macros.

But if you believe it's in there then I believe in you buddy!!

Is this it new 5th macro? :p
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    People Beiber macros are the enemy. Anything with Beiber in it is the enemy. :p
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat Frankenfoods like the low-carb tortilla, but I love me a breakfast burrito every once in a great while.

And there is is... "I usually don't eat Frankenfoods..." The holier-than thou attitude that always seems to eventually slip through. Seems that train is never late...
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options

Sure, here's a good day:

Breakfast:

Lunch:
    Avocados - Raw, 3 oz(s)

Dinner:
    Spinach - Raw, 1 cup

Supplements:

Or your protein intake?

The other poster asked what my target macros are and I gave them to her. I did not hit my protein macro that day. I was about 24g short, which is the protein shake I usually have but didn't that day.

I aim to eat 1300kcal, 20g net carbs and 90g protein. I do not always hit 96g of fat. I plan my meals out every day, but not every day is perfect in execution.

Ok. There's nowhere near the fat you say in there. Protein is people Beiber macros.

OK, well MyFitnessPal disagrees with you. :smiley:

Here's another (not perfect) day -- much lower on the veggies, but still about 1300kcal.

Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 1 cup (8 fl oz)
    Kerrygold - Butter, Pure, 14 g (1Tbsp)
    Spectrum - Organic Coconut Oil, Expeller Pressed - Refined, 1 tbsp
    Chicken Breast - Boneless, Skinless, Baked, 4 oz
    Woodstock - Organic Walnuts Halves & Pieces, Raw, 1/4 cup
    Dole - Red Seedless Grapes, 5 grapes
    Mayo - Mayonaise, 2 tablespoon
    Spinach - Raw, 1 cup
    Top Sirloin - Steak, 0.25 lb(s)
    Ibih - Cheesy Cauliflower Puree, 1/2 cups
    Rtn - Bionic Edge All Natural Whey-Chocolate, 1 scoop (28.4g)
    Blue Diamond Almonds - Bold Honey Dijon, 0.5 oz (28g/about 28 nuts)

From my MFP log: 1,292kcal, 18g carbs, 6g fiber, 94g fat, 101g protein.

I don't really care if you guys don't like my macros. But I don't like being called a liar. We all use MFP, presumably, and I weigh & measure most of my food, so it is what it is.

• blktngldhrt
    Options

Sure, here's a good day:

Breakfast:

Lunch:
    Avocados - Raw, 3 oz(s)

Dinner:
    Spinach - Raw, 1 cup

Supplements:

Or your protein intake?

Here's another (not perfect) day -- much lower on the veggies, but still about 1300kcal.

Spinach - Raw, 1 cup

I don't really care if you guys don't like my macros. But I don't like being called a liar. We all use MFP, presumably, and I weigh & measure most of my food, so it is what it is.

I wasn't calling you a liar. I just wasn't seeing the amount of fat and protein.

P. S. Love ibih
  • ketorach
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I don't usually eat Frankenfoods like the low-carb tortilla, but I love me a breakfast burrito every once in a great while.

And there is is... "I usually don't eat Frankenfoods..." The holier-than thou attitude that always seems to eventually slip through. Seems that train is never late...
    Lol.

Well, considering I try to eat a primarily whole foods, very low-carb diet, these flax/oat bran things are a very infrequent deviation from that and they're full of junk, IMO.

• blktngldhrt
    Options
    Also..you can use thinly cooked egg as a tortilla..or one made with coconut flour, baking powder, egg whites, water, and evoo.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Lol.

Well, considering I try to eat a primarily whole foods, very low-carb diet, these flax/oat bran things are a very infrequent deviation from that and they're full of junk, IMO.

lol...

define "junk"...
  • ketorach
    Options

Sure, here's a good day:

Breakfast:

Lunch:
    Avocados - Raw, 3 oz(s)

Dinner:
    Spinach - Raw, 1 cup

Supplements:

Or your protein intake?

Spinach - Raw, 1 cup

Ok, well then. I guess you win. Almost 100g of fat must be there. Great job.
    Not sure if serious. Thanks?
  • ketorach
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Lol.

lol...

define "junk"...
    Cornstarch, isolated soy protein, soy flour, soy oil, dextrose.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Lol.

lol...

define "junk"...

And that's junk because...?
  • ketorach
    Options

Lol.

lol...

define "junk"...

And that's junk because...?
    Because I prefer to eat unprocessed foods?

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    i am 27 3 kids under 5 go to work, still workout try to eat well but sometimes let food choices get in the way. its not an excuse but when pushed to your limits and your tired. me personally i grab the wrong foods. i hadnt yet learnt that for me i cant eat what i want or the types of foods i want. now my work friend she gorges on mcdonalds every sunday and is as thin as a stick. then i have to keep reminding myself she is thin but unhealthy. but it would be nice to have a thin toned body but also a healthy heart.

i had issues before the babies but the babies made it worse since dieting when pregnant is not an option and working out was hard on my body ( i had severe pelvic pain)

can i just add, since dropping the carb level to 90 increasing fat to 53 and protein to 90 i feel great today, not bloated, better food choices, more water and managed to do my 30 day shred without almost crying!!
    Weight loss is a LOT more than CICO which is one important factor of weight loss...
    Gale, with all due respect, the above statement is misinformation. CICO is the only qualifying factor to weight loss, because if you don't eat less than you burn you will not lose weight. Any other factors have to do with personal preferences or medical conditions that need to be addressed.

If that was factual then overeating would lead to weight gain.

The wild card is there are not three people on the site per my guess that even know how many calories they need to be eating to lose or gain weight but just work of a best guess of some software developer working off of some data that may or may not be valid. If we can get more science into how to eat for best health it would be helpful I expect.

We know many eating 1200 calories daily are doing harm to their health because they are clueless as to how the number was computed or why. CICO is a factor but not the only factor.
This discussion has been closed.