Replies

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    rdigiovine wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    i think i found the problem to my weight loss stalls, carbs... slowly been creeping in again even though i am keeping the calories down i seem to have a problem with crisps, potatoes,pizza,chips, pasta rice etc when i cut it out the weight comes off. surely this cant be a coincidence?

As you can see you are not alone in finding carbs are the sneaky calories. :)

I can over eat by a 1000 calories a day and if they are carbs it is bad news at weight-in since they become glucose. Protein is so so because about half of them become glucose and Fats just do not seem to add much if any to my short term weight gain since they do not go to glucose in any meaningful way it seems inside of MY body. A professional body builder that is burning off the glucose may see no weight gain like I do.

After being glucose fueled for over 60 years I had to go very low carb (<50 grams daily) a few month ago to drop my weight it seemed below my 220-250 years of yo yoing range. 220 was like a stone wall over and over until I became mainly fueled by ketones instead of glucose that killed the carb craving when only doing 5% carbs. If I did not cold turkey carbs they would in a short time become 30-50 of my diet again in my personal case.

adowe makes a good point about how we will cut calories if we cut carbs in most cases. This is the reason many on very low carb diets just count carbs vs calories because with Sweet Tooth pulled and the carb craving gone we do not tend to overeat on just Fats and Protein.

This may just be me but if I eat something with even a few grams of sugar now I can fire up the carb craving.

Young active healthy people can get away with murder when it comes to your diets. Get to social security age and we often get thrown in jail for just 'J Walking' (not crossing the street where the traffic signal is located). At 20 anything goes, at 40 not as much but at 60+ my diet is critical to what I weigh and how I feel.

Yes for some of us it is very easy to get burned if we play with Carbs.

Yes I had problems abusing carbs when I was younger too but got away with for a while. At my age my suggestion would be to you that are still on the young side is to try to deal with carb craving now so you are not a health wreck down the road. Carb cravings only get WORSE with time.

OP, just ignore the above^^^

50% of protein does not turn into glucose
    Young people can't get away with murder just because they are you. He's just trying to play the "Old man" card. Just nonsense.
    And there is no way he is eating under 5% carbs. That's pretty much no fruits or vegetables either.

Plus, he uses a fake profile to pass as himself.
    Some of it is bull or broscience, but I do eat about 5% of my calories from carbs and eat plenty of vegetables. They're my only source of carbs. It's totally possible.

I no longer have any sugar or simple carbohydrate cravings. I can look at pasta and bread and cupcakes and cookies and just walk away. Has really changed my life.

Can I see an example of your days menu?

Sure, here's a good day:

Breakfast:
    Generic - Mozzarella Cheese Stick, 2 stick
    Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 1.5 cup (8 fl oz)

Lunch:
    Generic - Raw Shredded Carrot, 0.1 cup (85 g)
    Beets - Cooked, boiled, drained, 0.25 cup slices
    Geisha - Sliced Water Chestnuts Natural, 1/4 c
    Marie's - Creamy Ranch Dressing, 4 tbsp
    Grilled Eggplant - Eggplant, 0.25 cup
    Generic - Banana Peppers, Sliced, 6 slices (About 2 whole)
    Generic - Mesclun Salad Greens, 1 cup
    Dole - Chopped Romaine Salad, 1 cups
    Scallions - Scallions, 3 Tablespoon
    Avocados - Raw, 3 oz(s)
    Homemade - Chicken Kebabs, 0.5 kebab

Dinner:
    Egglands Best - Large Egg, 2 egg
    Cheese - Monterey Jack, 1 oz(s)
    Dairy Fresh - Sour Cream, 2 Tablespoons (30g)
    Joseph's - Flax, Oat Bran, Wheat Flour Tortilla, 1 tortilla
    Spinach - Raw, 1 cup

Supplements:
    Mio - Cherry Blackberry, 1 tsp
    Morton - Lite Salt Mixture 50% Less Sodium, 1/2 tsp
    Kirkland Magnesium Citrate, 2

What's the calorie count for that day.. And what are your macros for keto?
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    i think i found the problem to my weight loss stalls, carbs... slowly been creeping in again even though i am keeping the calories down i seem to have a problem with crisps, potatoes,pizza,chips, pasta rice etc when i cut it out the weight comes off. surely this cant be a coincidence?

I can over eat by a 1000 calories a day and if they are carbs it is bad news at weight-in since they become glucose. Protein is so so because about half of them become glucose and Fats just do not seem to add much if any to my short term weight gain since they do not go to glucose in any meaningful way it seems inside of MY body. A professional body builder that is burning off the glucose may see no weight gain like I do.

After being glucose fueled for over 60 years I had to go very low carb (<50 grams daily) a few month ago to drop my weight it seemed below my 220-250 years of yo yoing range. 220 was like a stone wall over and over until I became mainly fueled by ketones instead of glucose that killed the carb craving when only doing 5% carbs. If I did not cold turkey carbs they would in a short time become 30-50 of my diet again in my personal case.

adowe makes a good point about how we will cut calories if we cut carbs in most cases. This is the reason many on very low carb diets just count carbs vs calories because with Sweet Tooth pulled and the carb craving gone we do not tend to overeat on just Fats and Protein.

This may just be me but if I eat something with even a few grams of sugar now I can fire up the carb craving.

Young active healthy people can get away with murder when it comes to your diets. Get to social security age and we often get thrown in jail for just 'J Walking' (not crossing the street where the traffic signal is located). At 20 anything goes, at 40 not as much but at 60+ my diet is critical to what I weigh and how I feel.

Yes I had problems abusing carbs when I was younger too but got away with for a while. At my age my suggestion would be to you that are still on the young side is to try to deal with carb craving now so you are not a health wreck down the road. Carb cravings only get WORSE with time.

Young people can't get away with murder just because they are you. He's just trying to play the "Old man" card. Just nonsense.
    And there is no way he is eating under 5% carbs. That's pretty much no fruits or vegetables either.

Some of it is bull or broscience, but I do eat about 5% of my calories from carbs and eat plenty of vegetables. They're my only source of carbs. It's totally possible.

I no longer have any sugar or simple carbohydrate cravings. I can look at pasta and bread and cupcakes and cookies and just walk away. Has really changed my life.

Sure, here's a good day:

Breakfast:

Lunch:
    Avocados - Raw, 3 oz(s)

Dinner:
    Spinach - Raw, 1 cup

Supplements:

That's ~1300kcal, 24 net carbs.

My target macros are 1300kcal, 20 g Carbohydrates, 90 g Protein, 96 g Fat.

• blktngldhrt
    edited December 2014
    Options

Sure, here's a good day:

Breakfast:

Lunch:
    Avocados - Raw, 3 oz(s)

Dinner:
    Spinach - Raw, 1 cup

Supplements:

That's what had me confused while looking at that. That's over 5% carbs.
  • ketorach
    edited December 2014
    Options

Sure, here's a good day:

Breakfast:

Lunch:
    Avocados - Raw, 3 oz(s)

Dinner:
    Spinach - Raw, 1 cup

Supplements:

That's what had me confused while looking at that.
    7% that day. The low-carb tortilla is not a usual menu item. I aim for <20g net carbs a day but usually hover between 20-25g. I eat a lot of vegetables some days.

• blktngldhrt
    Options

Sure, here's a good day:

Breakfast:

Lunch:
    Avocados - Raw, 3 oz(s)

Dinner:
    Spinach - Raw, 1 cup

Supplements:

7% that day. The low-carb tortilla is not a usual menu item.

Your macros are set to about 9% carbs..Unless my math is wrong.

Meh..I'm splitting hairs. You do better fitting in the veggies than I do if that's a usual menu. :)
  • kmmargrave
    Options
    Time for a bit of schooling.

Yes, eating a very low amount of carbs every day will make most people lose weight, and very quickly. I've been on Atkins since 2000--that's right, folks, that's 14 years--and I lost 30 lbs. initially. I stunk at maintenance, but could always, ALWAYS lose weight I'd regain. Cheating has two nasty consequences--headaches and digestional complaints, and massive sugar craving. Sticking to around 30-50 grams of net carb (carbs minus fiber) a day is the ticket, along with even low duration/low intensity exercise, and a ton of water a day.

Menopause and quitting smoking are game-changers, but a year and a half after quitting smoking, the weight is slowly coming off. Sugar (and carbs, which turn into sugar) is the enemy for me and other people as well.

YES, it's typical for many people to lose 4-5 lbs. in the first week.
    NO, that's not just water.

• ketorach
    edited December 2014
    Options

Sure, here's a good day:

Breakfast:

Lunch:
    Avocados - Raw, 3 oz(s)

Dinner:
    Spinach - Raw, 1 cup

Supplements:

Meh..I'm splitting hairs. You do better fitting in the veggies than I do if that's a usual menu. :)

Now, you've made me curious. From the Keto Calculator:

1300 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    20 g Carbohydrates (6%, 80 kcal)
    90 g Protein (28%, 360 kcal)
    96 g Fat (66%, 860 kcal)

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

P.S. That's a salad bar 2-3x a week for lunch. I could never manage that at home.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I do moderate carbs, with my macros at 40-30-30, getting my carbs from beans and dairy... and... I don't crave simple carbs like pasta or rice either. I do occasionally eat brown rice tortillas. I do occasionally eat gluten free oatmeal.

I've done low carb before. I know how the whole thing is supposed to work, and I know what it's like to crave carbs and have it stop.

I also know that it's possible to not crave them and still have a moderate amount of them.

I know that everyone is different, and I'm glad that posters here are doing what is best for them. My point is that there is a middle ground between helpless cravings and low carb.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    kmmargrave wrote: »

Yes, eating a very low amount of carbs every day will make most people lose weight, and very quickly. I've been on Atkins since 2000--that's right, folks, that's 14 years--and I lost 30 lbs. initially. I stunk at maintenance, but could always, ALWAYS lose weight I'd regain. Cheating has two nasty consequences--headaches and digestional complaints, and massive sugar craving. Sticking to around 30-50 grams of net carb (carbs minus fiber) a day is the ticket, along with even low duration/low intensity exercise, and a ton of water a day.

Menopause and quitting smoking are game-changers, but a year and a half after quitting smoking, the weight is slowly coming off. Sugar (and carbs, which turn into sugar) is the enemy for me and other people as well.

sugar is not the enemy ..

I eat 70+ grams a day and have no issues what so over..

stop demonizing foods...
  • blktngldhrt
    Options

Sure, here's a good day:

Breakfast:

Lunch:
    Avocados - Raw, 3 oz(s)

Dinner:
    Spinach - Raw, 1 cup

Supplements:

Now, you've made me curious. From the Keto Calculator:

1300 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    20 g Carbohydrates (6%, 80 kcal)
    90 g Protein (28%, 360 kcal)
    96 g Fat (66%, 860 kcal)

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

P.S. That's a salad bar 2-3x a week for lunch. I could never manage that at home.
    Yeah.. Like I said.. My math could be wrong. sahmommy brain.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options

Schooling? 4-5 lbs in one week would most definitely be mostly water weight.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

stop demonizing foods...

But sugar is my enemy..or is it my pancreas? ;)
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

stop demonizing foods...

Sugar's my enemy because it triggers migraines every now and then. I eat it at my own risk sometimes. I'm jealous of the rest of you who can have it.

And yes, I watch and limit my fruit consumption because of this.

• ndj1979
    Options
    sigh ...forgot the qualifier - barring any medical condition - geez, MFP should just have that as an auto foot note on all replies...
  • ketorach
    Options
    sigh ...forgot the qualifier - barring any medical condition - geez, MFP should just have that as an auto foot note on all replies...
    Lol, I don't have a medical condition. I also don't think sugar is the enemy. But I vastly prefer eating a low-carb, high fat diet. I've lost 21 lbs. in 3 months fairly effortlessly. Well, I do work out 3x a week (HIIT and strength training), but I was doing that before I switched to LCHF. The only hard part is the planning. I feel satisfied and have plenty of energy.

The only foods I miss:
    - oatmeal
    - brown rice
    - peaches (in season)

And I may add those back into my diet, in moderation, once I feel satisfied with my body composition.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Lol, I don't have a medical condition. I also don't think sugar is the enemy. But I vastly prefer eating a low-carb, high fat diet. I've lost 21 lbs. in 3 months fairly effortlessly. Well, I do work out 3x a week (HIIT and strength training), but I was doing that before I switched to LCHF. The only hard part is the planning. I feel satisfied and have plenty of energy.

The only foods I miss:
    - oatmeal
    - brown rice
    - peaches (in season)

And I may add those back into my diet, in moderation, once I feel satisfied with my body composition.

Why are you avoiding them?
  • ketorach
    Options
    Because I'm eating a LCHF diet and those foods are neither LC nor HF. They don't fit my macros.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

Ah, I was just having fun with you, sorry if my post came across wrong. I can't have gluten either, so the sugar I could theoretically have without my migraines isn't even half as fun as it used to be before I was diagnosed with celiac.

• blktngldhrt
    edited December 2014
    Options

The only foods I miss:
    - oatmeal
    - brown rice
    - peaches (in season)

If I think about it..i miss candy bars..and alcohol. Especially all of the delicious porters and stouts that come out around Christmas.

Eta.. Sushi. I really miss going out and getting sushi rolls.
  • ndj1979
    Options

The only foods I miss:
    - oatmeal
    - brown rice
    - peaches (in season)

if you don't have a medical condition then you can eat the foods that you want and miss.
This discussion has been closed.