carbs are my enemy

Options

Replies

• kmmargrave
    Options
    Try reading this again. Note the difference between what I wrote and what you misquoted me as saying:

Me:
    Sugar (and carbs, which turn into sugar) is the enemy for me and other people as well.

You:
    sugar is not the enemy ..

I don't work for you. I'll say what I want.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    kmmargrave wrote: »
    Time for a bit of schooling.

Yes, eating a very low amount of carbs every day will make most people lose weight, and very quickly. I've been on Atkins since 2000--that's right, folks, that's 14 years--and I lost 30 lbs. initially. I stunk at maintenance, but could always, ALWAYS lose weight I'd regain. Cheating has two nasty consequences--headaches and digestional complaints, and massive sugar craving. Sticking to around 30-50 grams of net carb (carbs minus fiber) a day is the ticket, along with even low duration/low intensity exercise, and a ton of water a day.

Menopause and quitting smoking are game-changers, but a year and a half after quitting smoking, the weight is slowly coming off. Sugar (and carbs, which turn into sugar) is the enemy for me and other people as well.

YES, it's typical for many people to lose 4-5 lbs. in the first week.
    NO, that's not just water.
    MrM27 wrote: »
    i think i found the problem to my weight loss stalls, carbs... slowly been creeping in again even though i am keeping the calories down i seem to have a problem with crisps, potatoes,pizza,chips, pasta rice etc when i cut it out the weight comes off. surely this cant be a coincidence?

As you can see you are not alone in finding carbs are the sneaky calories. :)

I can over eat by a 1000 calories a day and if they are carbs it is bad news at weight-in since they become glucose. Protein is so so because about half of them become glucose and Fats just do not seem to add much if any to my short term weight gain since they do not go to glucose in any meaningful way it seems inside of MY body. A professional body builder that is burning off the glucose may see no weight gain like I do.

After being glucose fueled for over 60 years I had to go very low carb (<50 grams daily) a few month ago to drop my weight it seemed below my 220-250 years of yo yoing range. 220 was like a stone wall over and over until I became mainly fueled by ketones instead of glucose that killed the carb craving when only doing 5% carbs. If I did not cold turkey carbs they would in a short time become 30-50 of my diet again in my personal case.

adowe makes a good point about how we will cut calories if we cut carbs in most cases. This is the reason many on very low carb diets just count carbs vs calories because with Sweet Tooth pulled and the carb craving gone we do not tend to overeat on just Fats and Protein.

This may just be me but if I eat something with even a few grams of sugar now I can fire up the carb craving.

Young active healthy people can get away with murder when it comes to your diets. Get to social security age and we often get thrown in jail for just 'J Walking' (not crossing the street where the traffic signal is located). At 20 anything goes, at 40 not as much but at 60+ my diet is critical to what I weigh and how I feel.

Yes for some of us it is very easy to get burned if we play with Carbs.

Yes I had problems abusing carbs when I was younger too but got away with for a while. At my age my suggestion would be to you that are still on the young side is to try to deal with carb craving now so you are not a health wreck down the road. Carb cravings only get WORSE with time.

OP, just ignore the above^^^

50% of protein does not turn into glucose
    Young people can't get away with murder just because they are you. He's just trying to play the "Old man" card. Just nonsense.
    And there is no way he is eating under 5% carbs. That's pretty much no fruits or vegetables either.

Plus, he uses a fake profile to pass as himself.

sugar is not the enemy ..

I eat 70+ grams a day and have no issues what so over..

stop demonizing foods...
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    rdigiovine wrote: »
    sigh ...forgot the qualifier - barring any medical condition - geez, MFP should just have that as an auto foot note on all replies...
    Lol, I don't have a medical condition. I also don't think sugar is the enemy. But I vastly prefer eating a low-carb, high fat diet. I've lost 21 lbs. in 3 months fairly effortlessly. Well, I do work out 3x a week (HIIT and strength training), but I was doing that before I switched to LCHF. The only hard part is the planning. I feel satisfied and have plenty of energy.

The only foods I miss:
    - oatmeal
    - brown rice
    - peaches (in season)

And I may add those back into my diet, in moderation, once I feel satisfied with my body composition.
    if you don't have a medical condition then you can eat the foods that you want and miss.
    Well, of course I can. But I eat a ketogenic diet, so it doesn't really fit my macros.

I'm not sitting around all day lamenting the lack of oatmeal in my diet. As I said, I may add them back in later.

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    sigh ...forgot the qualifier - barring any medical condition - geez, MFP should just have that as an auto foot note on all replies...
    Lol, I don't have a medical condition. I also don't think sugar is the enemy. But I vastly prefer eating a low-carb, high fat diet. I've lost 21 lbs. in 3 months fairly effortlessly. Well, I do work out 3x a week (HIIT and strength training), but I was doing that before I switched to LCHF. The only hard part is the planning. I feel satisfied and have plenty of energy.

The only foods I miss:
    - oatmeal
    - brown rice
    - peaches (in season)

And I may add those back into my diet, in moderation, once I feel satisfied with my body composition.
    if you don't have a medical condition then you can eat the foods that you want and miss.
    Well, of course I can. But I eat a ketogenic diet, so it doesn't really fit my macros.

I'm not sitting around all day lamenting the lack of oatmeal in my diet. As I said, I may add them back in later.

I'm going to sit around lamenting the no alcohol thing during all of the family Christmas events next week. :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    kmmargrave wrote: »
    Time for a bit of schooling.

Yes, eating a very low amount of carbs every day will make most people lose weight, and very quickly. I've been on Atkins since 2000--that's right, folks, that's 14 years--and I lost 30 lbs. initially. I stunk at maintenance, but could always, ALWAYS lose weight I'd regain. Cheating has two nasty consequences--headaches and digestional complaints, and massive sugar craving. Sticking to around 30-50 grams of net carb (carbs minus fiber) a day is the ticket, along with even low duration/low intensity exercise, and a ton of water a day.

Menopause and quitting smoking are game-changers, but a year and a half after quitting smoking, the weight is slowly coming off. Sugar (and carbs, which turn into sugar) is the enemy for me and other people as well.

YES, it's typical for many people to lose 4-5 lbs. in the first week.
    NO, that's not just water.
    i think i found the problem to my weight loss stalls, carbs... slowly been creeping in again even though i am keeping the calories down i seem to have a problem with crisps, potatoes,pizza,chips, pasta rice etc when i cut it out the weight comes off. surely this cant be a coincidence?

I can over eat by a 1000 calories a day and if they are carbs it is bad news at weight-in since they become glucose. Protein is so so because about half of them become glucose and Fats just do not seem to add much if any to my short term weight gain since they do not go to glucose in any meaningful way it seems inside of MY body. A professional body builder that is burning off the glucose may see no weight gain like I do.

After being glucose fueled for over 60 years I had to go very low carb (<50 grams daily) a few month ago to drop my weight it seemed below my 220-250 years of yo yoing range. 220 was like a stone wall over and over until I became mainly fueled by ketones instead of glucose that killed the carb craving when only doing 5% carbs. If I did not cold turkey carbs they would in a short time become 30-50 of my diet again in my personal case.

adowe makes a good point about how we will cut calories if we cut carbs in most cases. This is the reason many on very low carb diets just count carbs vs calories because with Sweet Tooth pulled and the carb craving gone we do not tend to overeat on just Fats and Protein.

This may just be me but if I eat something with even a few grams of sugar now I can fire up the carb craving.

Young active healthy people can get away with murder when it comes to your diets. Get to social security age and we often get thrown in jail for just 'J Walking' (not crossing the street where the traffic signal is located). At 20 anything goes, at 40 not as much but at 60+ my diet is critical to what I weigh and how I feel.

Yes I had problems abusing carbs when I was younger too but got away with for a while. At my age my suggestion would be to you that are still on the young side is to try to deal with carb craving now so you are not a health wreck down the road. Carb cravings only get WORSE with time.

Young people can't get away with murder just because they are you. He's just trying to play the "Old man" card. Just nonsense.
    And there is no way he is eating under 5% carbs. That's pretty much no fruits or vegetables either.

Schooling? 4-5 lbs in one week would most definitely be mostly water weight.

Yea, I'm not sure that person knows what "schooling" means...lol.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

The only foods I miss:
    - oatmeal
    - brown rice
    - peaches (in season)

You can still lose weight, craving free, and eat those things (in proper portions, of course). Just, as you say, in moderation.

It's something to keep in mind. You can switch to the maintenance eating phase of Atkins and still just keep your calories at a rate where you're at a deficit. You don't have to keep your carbs soooo low. It would be better to do that if, at some point in the future, you're tempted to throw in the towel or binge.

• ketorach
    Options
    I have wine sometimes, if I can make it fit my macros.
  • ketorach
    Options

The only foods I miss:
    - oatmeal
    - brown rice
    - peaches (in season)

You can still lose weight, craving free, and eat those things (in proper portions, of course). Just, as you say, in moderation.

It's something to keep in mind. You can switch to the maintenance eating phase of Atkins and still just keep your calories at a rate where you're at a deficit. You don't have to keep your carbs soooo low. It would be better to do that if, at some point in the future, you're tempted to throw in the towel or binge.
    Yes, that's the plan after I'm satisfied with my body composition. Which is not for a while, since I'm still currently 30# overweight. I can't imagine ever going back to eating >100g of carbs a day. I love the way I feel right now.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

The only foods I miss:
    - oatmeal
    - brown rice
    - peaches (in season)

Yes, that's the plan after I'm satisfied with my body composition. Which is not for a while, since I'm still currently 30# overweight. I can't imagine ever going back to eating >100g of carbs a day. I love the way I feel right now.

That's what I'm wondering... you keep saying "I'm not satisfied with my body composition". So, I was wondering if you are only eating a ketogenic diet as if you think it gives you a leg up regarding fat loss (since you stated no medical condition).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

The only foods I miss:
    - oatmeal
    - brown rice
    - peaches (in season)

you realize you can eat carbs, be in a deficit, and lose weight that way as well, right?
  • ketorach
    edited December 2014
    Options

The only foods I miss:
    - oatmeal
    - brown rice
    - peaches (in season)

you realize you can eat carbs, be in a deficit, and lose weight that way as well, right?
    Yep. But I feel much better and I feel that it's easier for me to stay at a deficit without the carbs.

That said, I do have IBS and used to have a stomachache almost every day. Not one in the three months I've not been eating wheat, so it's *possible* I have a gluten intolerance or issues with wheat. Never tested and not sure if it really matters.

I'm going to continue to eat LCHF as long as I am feeling well and I am able to continue to lose weight by easily eating at a deficit.
  • ketorach
    Options

The only foods I miss:
    - oatmeal
    - brown rice
    - peaches (in season)

That's what I'm wondering... you keep saying "I'm not satisfied with my body composition". So, I was wondering if you are only eating a ketogenic diet as if you think it gives you a leg up regarding fat loss (since you stated no medical condition).
    See my previous post. I feel a lot better eating a ketogenic diet.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    For the love of blob... don't self-diagnose anything to do with gluten. Get tested.

If you have IBS and are under the care of a gastroenterologist for it, it's quite simple for them to run the genetic blood screens for celiac disease.
  • ketorach
    Options
    For the love of blob... don't self-diagnose anything to do with gluten. Get tested.

If you have IBS and are under the care of a gastroenterologist for it, it's quite simple for them to run the genetic blood screens for celiac disease.
    Relax! I am quite sure I do not have celiac disease.

I was diagnosed a long time ago with IBS -- long before people even talked about celiac or gluten intolerance. The prescription was: "If something you eat bothers you, don't eat it."

I'm not self-diagnosing. Because I feel so much better without eating carbs, I think it's possible there is an issue with gluten. I literally have not had one stomachache or case of diarrhea in three months. I can tell you that is a small miracle. I think I'll keep eating this way.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Fair enough. I suppose that's better than thinking it is some magical approach to burning fat more efficiently like many on here.
  • ketorach
    edited December 2014
    Options

Some of it is bull or broscience, but I do eat about 5% of my calories from carbs and eat plenty of vegetables. They're my only source of carbs. It's totally possible.

I no longer have any sugar or simple carbohydrate cravings. I can look at pasta and bread and cupcakes and cookies and just walk away. Has really changed my life.

Can I see an example of your days menu?

Sure, here's a good day:

Breakfast:
    Generic - Mozzarella Cheese Stick, 2 stick
    Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 1.5 cup (8 fl oz)

Lunch:
    Generic - Raw Shredded Carrot, 0.1 cup (85 g)
    Beets - Cooked, boiled, drained, 0.25 cup slices
    Geisha - Sliced Water Chestnuts Natural, 1/4 c
    Marie's - Creamy Ranch Dressing, 4 tbsp
    Grilled Eggplant - Eggplant, 0.25 cup
    Generic - Banana Peppers, Sliced, 6 slices (About 2 whole)
    Generic - Mesclun Salad Greens, 1 cup
    Dole - Chopped Romaine Salad, 1 cups
    Scallions - Scallions, 3 Tablespoon
    Avocados - Raw, 3 oz(s)
    Homemade - Chicken Kebabs, 0.5 kebab

Dinner:
    Egglands Best - Large Egg, 2 egg
    Cheese - Monterey Jack, 1 oz(s)
    Dairy Fresh - Sour Cream, 2 Tablespoons (30g)
    Joseph's - Flax, Oat Bran, Wheat Flour Tortilla, 1 tortilla
    Spinach - Raw, 1 cup

Supplements:
    Mio - Cherry Blackberry, 1 tsp
    Morton - Lite Salt Mixture 50% Less Sodium, 1/2 tsp
    Kirkland Magnesium Citrate, 2

Edited to add: this is about 1300 calories and 24g net carbs, which is 7% carbs. I don't usually eat Frankenfoods like the low-carb tortilla, but I love me a breakfast burrito every once in a great while.

Am I the only one having trouble getting these calories to make sense?

Where exactly is there 96g of fat on that list?
    Or your protein intake?
    I'm flattered you care so much about my macros. ;-)

FYI, there's 86g of fat from that list.

The other poster asked what my target macros are and I gave them to her. I did not hit my protein macro that day. I was about 24g short, which is the protein shake I usually have but didn't that day.

I aim to eat 1300kcal, 20g net carbs and 90g protein. I do not always hit 96g of fat. I plan my meals out every day, but not every day is perfect in execution.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

Relax! I am quite sure I do not have celiac disease.

I was diagnosed a long time ago with IBS -- long before people even talked about celiac or gluten intolerance. The prescription was: "If something you eat bothers you, don't eat it."

I'm not self-diagnosing. Because I feel so much better without eating carbs, I think it's possible there is an issue with gluten. I literally have not had one stomachache or case of diarrhea in three months. I can tell you that is a small miracle. I think I'll keep eating this way.

That's cool, you might have trouble with grains in general, though. IBS is a fickle thing (my son has it). What bothers him one day might not bother him the next. Those of us with celiac are a bit sensitive about gluten-as-bad-guy being bandied about casually on some fronts.

I'm glad you have some relief from your symptoms.

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

Some of it is bull or broscience, but I do eat about 5% of my calories from carbs and eat plenty of vegetables. They're my only source of carbs. It's totally possible.

I no longer have any sugar or simple carbohydrate cravings. I can look at pasta and bread and cupcakes and cookies and just walk away. Has really changed my life.

Can I see an example of your days menu?

Sure, here's a good day:

Breakfast:
    Generic - Mozzarella Cheese Stick, 2 stick
    Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 1.5 cup (8 fl oz)

Lunch:
    Generic - Raw Shredded Carrot, 0.1 cup (85 g)
    Beets - Cooked, boiled, drained, 0.25 cup slices
    Geisha - Sliced Water Chestnuts Natural, 1/4 c
    Marie's - Creamy Ranch Dressing, 4 tbsp
    Grilled Eggplant - Eggplant, 0.25 cup
    Generic - Banana Peppers, Sliced, 6 slices (About 2 whole)
    Generic - Mesclun Salad Greens, 1 cup
    Dole - Chopped Romaine Salad, 1 cups
    Scallions - Scallions, 3 Tablespoon
    Avocados - Raw, 3 oz(s)
    Homemade - Chicken Kebabs, 0.5 kebab

Dinner:
    Egglands Best - Large Egg, 2 egg
    Cheese - Monterey Jack, 1 oz(s)
    Dairy Fresh - Sour Cream, 2 Tablespoons (30g)
    Joseph's - Flax, Oat Bran, Wheat Flour Tortilla, 1 tortilla
    Spinach - Raw, 1 cup

Supplements:
    Mio - Cherry Blackberry, 1 tsp
    Morton - Lite Salt Mixture 50% Less Sodium, 1/2 tsp
    Kirkland Magnesium Citrate, 2

Edited to add: this is about 1300 calories and 24g net carbs, which is 7% carbs. I don't usually eat Frankenfoods like the low-carb tortilla, but I love me a breakfast burrito every once in a great while.

Am I the only one having trouble getting these calories to make sense?

Where exactly is there 96g of fat on that list?
    Or your protein intake?

No. I had trouble, too.
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    ah however for someone with an allowance of 1200 calories a day sugar can be a bit of a problem. i like chocolate however i have one roses strawberry dream and i am up 16g of carbs and a crap loads of sugar. its possible to eat those foods however only 1 or 2 and then its not worth it but then for people with food addictions e.g me that would then send me into a spiral of problems with going back to those foods and eating them all the time. by all means if your eating to maintain your current weight eat things in moderation as long as its right for your body however if your on 12-1300 cals like me then i know im best keeping sugary foods to a minimum including high sugar fruits
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options

Fair enough. I suppose that's better than thinking it is some magical approach to burning fat more efficiently like many on here.

i too feel much better limiting high carb foods. and i wouldnt say my % is too much of a low carb diet its reduced to half
This discussion has been closed.