carbs are my enemy

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    The staff gave me a Vivo Fit at our Christmas luncheon today. After I figure it out I will see if it has anything to say good or bad about Carbs. :)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    If you guys have it all worked out then write a book - you will make a fortune.

I did not say "no one can eat at a surplus and lose"

and there is no clear answer to "how do I believe people lose weight, long term, and maintain it" - if I knew I would write a book - and make a fortune.

Nah CICO won't sell books or dvd's or anything else....too many free sites like MFP.
    Plus telling someone they have to be accountable for their own Dietary intake isn't what most people want to hear.

Right? People like to hear they need to buy a shiny juicer or make smoothies to cleanse themselves of their toxins. No one wants to hear..eat less by weighing and measuring your foods to make sure you're not eating in a surplus.

..that would be a pretty short book.

You say that but weight watchers has made a fair few quid on books!

1) Are paleo and such diets excellently marketed - yes

2) Do I wish I came up with the marketing strategy of paleo - yes

3) Do people actually follow the diet because of cavemen - no

4) Is paleo in 2013 & 2014 the largest researched diet on google - yes

5) Is it a healthy diet - yes

What's the problem?

Why does it offend you guys so much?

I'm sure the people following it don't think in such one dimensional thought patterns.

I don't know what your point was..but you only reinforced mine. A lot of people want the gimmick. Weight watchers points..gimmick. Paleos eat the way nature first intended..gimmick.

I didn't say anything was unhealthy or people shouldn't eat which ever way they choose (or whatever suits their personal or medical needs). I'm not offended. I eat lchf..ketogenic. Eating that way still doesn't negate the simplicity of calorie in calorie out. Eating that way just helps me moreso than eating more carbs because I have a medical condition..plus, personally, the fat helps keep me full longer and my calories lower.

My point was just re-enforcing yours.

But you seemed to think that IIFYM, or other calorie counting diets weren't gimmicky they are.

Nothing wrong with gimmicky - if it gets people doing what they need to do to be healthy!

Most things we do are driven by gimmicky things.

All diets follow IIFYM or should.

Keto
    Paleo
    LCHF
    HCLF
    Moderation
    Vegetarian
    Vegan
    Etc.
    Etc.
    Etc.

none are really better than the others. It's based on the individual.

Why eat food you don't like?

But why not eat food you do like?

We all moderate.
    We all reduce intake.

The only diet better than any other is the one you will adhere to the best/longest and ideally see the most results.

CICO matter for any and all of them

Totally agree - I have always thought one dimensional thinking in regards to one thing is better than the other is dumb!!!

All diets require sacrifice - the best diet is the one that feels the least price to pay.

In regards to IIFYM - agreed it's the basis for weight loss, but it can fall short on the health front. A healthy diet is more about what you eat (micros) rather than what percentage macro you hit.

But to be fair most people following IIFYM will have an understanding of this - although the message is not always presented clearly to newbies.

Just add the M

IIFYMM

An extra M always stands for moderation - If it fits your macros moderation - nope!!! still needs to be clearer!

No. It stands for Micros.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

and there is no clear answer to "how do I believe people lose weight, long term, and maintain it" - if I knew I would write a book - and make a fortune.

Nah CICO won't sell books or dvd's or anything else....too many free sites like MFP.
    Plus telling someone they have to be accountable for their own Dietary intake isn't what most people want to hear.

Right? People like to hear they need to buy a shiny juicer or make smoothies to cleanse themselves of their toxins. No one wants to hear..eat less by weighing and measuring your foods to make sure you're not eating in a surplus.

What's the problem?

I'm sure the people following it don't think in such one dimensional thought patterns.

I don't know what your point was..but you only reinforced mine. A lot of people want the gimmick. Weight watchers points..gimmick. Paleos eat the way nature first intended..gimmick.

I didn't say anything was unhealthy or people shouldn't eat which ever way they choose (or whatever suits their personal or medical needs). I'm not offended. I eat lchf..ketogenic. Eating that way still doesn't negate the simplicity of calorie in calorie out. Eating that way just helps me moreso than eating more carbs because I have a medical condition..plus, personally, the fat helps keep me full longer and my calories lower.

But you seemed to think that IIFYM, or other calorie counting diets weren't gimmicky they are.

Nothing wrong with gimmicky - if it gets people doing what they need to do to be healthy!

Keto
    Paleo
    LCHF
    HCLF
    Moderation
    Vegetarian
    Vegan
    Etc.
    Etc.
    Etc.

We all moderate.
    We all reduce intake.

The only diet better than any other is the one you will adhere to the best/longest and ideally see the most results.

Totally agree - I have always thought one dimensional thinking in regards to one thing is better than the other is dumb!!!

All diets require sacrifice - the best diet is the one that feels the least price to pay.

In regards to IIFYM - agreed it's the basis for weight loss, but it can fall short on the health front. A healthy diet is more about what you eat (micros) rather than what percentage macro you hit.

But to be fair most people following IIFYM will have an understanding of this - although the message is not always presented clearly to newbies.

Just add the M

IIFYMM

An extra M always stands for moderation - If it fits your macros moderation - nope!!! still needs to be clearer!

do you even humour?

• LolBroScience
    Options

What's the problem?

Keto
    Paleo
    LCHF
    HCLF
    Moderation
    Vegetarian
    Vegan
    Etc.
    Etc.
    Etc.

We all moderate.
    We all reduce intake.

Just add the M

IIFYMM

do you even humour?

Only when I have positive feelings towards the person attempting to make said humorous statement.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

What's the problem?

Keto
    Paleo
    LCHF
    HCLF
    Moderation
    Vegetarian
    Vegan
    Etc.
    Etc.
    Etc.

We all moderate.
    We all reduce intake.

Just add the M

IIFYMM

do you even humour?

Only when I have positive feelings towards the person attempting to make said humorous statement.

Jeez - you must be fun at comedy club! Heckler!!!!!
  • LolBroScience
    Options

What's the problem?

Keto
    Paleo
    LCHF
    HCLF
    Moderation
    Vegetarian
    Vegan
    Etc.
    Etc.
    Etc.

We all moderate.
    We all reduce intake.

Just add the M

IIFYMM

do you even humour?

So long as it isn't you doing the stand up... I'll manage
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

What's the problem?

Keto
    Paleo
    LCHF
    HCLF
    Moderation
    Vegetarian
    Vegan
    Etc.
    Etc.
    Etc.

We all moderate.
    We all reduce intake.

Just add the M

IIFYMM

do you even humour?

So long as it isn't you doing the stand up... I'll manage

image.png?w=400&c=1
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    i9MgdDJ.png
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    i9MgdDJ.png

Sweet - That get's a high five - but don't leave hanging through but hurt dude!

With you permission I'm nabbing this.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    it's the internet brah, you don't have to ask
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I know - I was just being polite - it's a British thing!
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i had bacon sausage and egg for breakfast this morning with mushrooms and tomatoes.... very low carb and not so bad on fat as it was all grilled. no carby filled breakfast for me
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I don't understand where a certain poster in this thread is coming from with her blanket ideas on middle aged women. In the throes of menopause here. I have CFS, fibromyalgia, a dodgy thyroid, and psoriatic arthritis, so I know from fatigue. And guess what? My body rebelled against eating low carb.

I've done Atkins and paleo. I'm now a moderate carb, high-protein vegetarian and feel better for it. And I'm losing weight. I also exercise, even with my medical conditions. My loss might be slow, but it's happening.

This is what works for me. I'm not going to come on here and pretend that my age or my conditions or anything made me overweight other than eating too much food (well, 30 extra pounds did happen the last time my thyroid tanked). And the only thing that is going to fix the problem is eating less and moving more. I eat the way I do because I digest this type of food well and I enjoy what I eat. That's it.

To the people who feel better doing lower carb... that's great! But it's not some magic bullet. It's still CICO.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

True dat. Just ask SteveGale.

• LolBroScience
    edited December 2014
    Options

True dat. Just ask SteveGale.

lol
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I don't understand where a certain poster in this thread is coming from with her blanket ideas on middle aged women. In the throes of menopause here. I have CFS, fibromyalgia, a dodgy thyroid, and psoriatic arthritis, so I know from fatigue. And guess what? My body rebelled against eating low carb.

I've done Atkins and paleo. I'm now a moderate carb, high-protein vegetarian and feel better for it. And I'm losing weight. I also exercise, even with my medical conditions. My loss might be slow, but it's happening.

This is what works for me. I'm not going to come on here and pretend that my age or my conditions or anything made me overweight other than eating too much food (well, 30 extra pounds did happen the last time my thyroid tanked). And the only thing that is going to fix the problem is eating less and moving more. I eat the way I do because I digest this type of food well and I enjoy what I eat. That's it.

To the people who feel better doing lower carb... that's great! But it's not some magic bullet. It's still CICO.

said poster admitted to making idiotic statements in an attempt to get "attention"....
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    jenjay8045 wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    jenjay8045 wrote: »
    Just putting this out there...If you do a low carb lifestyle, eventually you will run out of this "water weight" You cannot lose 85 pounds of "just" water weight in 6 months. How do I know???? Because I am living freaking proof! UGH. So tired of all these so called experts here....OP if LOw carb helps keep you balanced, do it and when you eat your carbs eat the good ones found in fres veggies and quality grains... Best of luck! :)

No kidding. No one has said that.

No they didnt say that specifically but several posts said the weight lost from low carb was just water weight. So my response was I have been doing low carb for roughly 6 months with occasional cheat meals and once in a while a complete all out carb fests. Yet I am still losing as soon as I eat on plan again.

Because you're eating less calories than you're burning....it's still CICO. Occasional cheat meals and "carb fests" isn't going to through off your average CICO equation that much.

When individuals bring up the water weight, it's the initial large drops that many people see, after that it's that you've found a way that helps you limit the calories in and keeping them below the calories going out.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

+1

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

said poster admitted to making idiotic statements in an attempt to get "attention"....

How did I miss that post and catch her drift that low carbing was the answer to middle age? :o Well, nevermind my post then!

This discussion has been closed.