Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    You are so funny. Suddenly, I am a troll because I believe in eating fresh food. Now that is hilarious.

oh wait, let me guess you do paleo, because cavemen....right?

Or do paleo because - healthy diet.

Before you butt hurt - not the only healthy diet, not necessarily the best healthy diet, but maybe a healthy diet that suits that person.

;)

is there a fly buzzing in here...I think I hear something...

Lol - you crack me up dude! My five year old uses that tacked! another year and he'll progress to more mature put downs!

Also, sorry!!! you clearly didn't avoid the butt hurt! My bad!

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    If you guys have it all worked out then write a book - you will make a fortune.

I did not say "no one can eat at a surplus and lose"

and there is no clear answer to "how do I believe people lose weight, long term, and maintain it" - if I knew I would write a book - and make a fortune.

Nah CICO won't sell books or dvd's or anything else....too many free sites like MFP.
    Plus telling someone they have to be accountable for their own Dietary intake isn't what most people want to hear.

Right? People like to hear they need to buy a shiny juicer or make smoothies to cleanse themselves of their toxins. No one wants to hear..eat less by weighing and measuring your foods to make sure you're not eating in a surplus.

..that would be a pretty short book.
  • tennisdude2004
    edited December 2014
    Options

and there is no clear answer to "how do I believe people lose weight, long term, and maintain it" - if I knew I would write a book - and make a fortune.

Nah CICO won't sell books or dvd's or anything else....too many free sites like MFP.
    Plus telling someone they have to be accountable for their own Dietary intake isn't what most people want to hear.

Right? People like to hear they need to buy a shiny juicer or make smoothies to cleanse themselves of their toxins. No one wants to hear..eat less by weighing and measuring your foods to make sure you're not eating in a surplus.

You say that but weight watchers has made a fair few quid on books!

1) Are paleo and such diets excellently marketed - yes

2) Do I wish I came up with the marketing strategy of paleo - yes

3) Do people actually follow the diet because of cavemen - no

4) Is paleo in 2013 & 2014 the largest researched diet on google - yes

5) Is it a healthy diet - yes

What's the problem?

Why does it offend you guys so much?

I'm sure the people following it don't think in such one dimensional thought patterns.

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

What's the problem?

I'm sure the people following it don't think in such one dimensional thought patterns.

I don't know what your point was..but you only reinforced mine. A lot of people want the gimmick. Weight watchers points..gimmick. Paleos eat the way nature first intended..gimmick.

I didn't say anything was unhealthy or people shouldn't eat which ever way they choose (or whatever suits their personal or medical needs). I'm not offended. I eat lchf..ketogenic. Eating that way still doesn't negate the simplicity of calorie in calorie out. Eating that way just helps me moreso than eating more carbs because I have a medical condition..plus, personally, the fat helps keep me full longer and my calories lower.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

What's the problem?

I don't know what your point was..but you only reinforced mine. A lot of people want the gimmick. Weight watchers points..gimmick. Paleos eat the way nature first intended..gimmick.

I didn't say anything was unhealthy or people shouldn't eat which ever way they choose (or whatever suits their personal or medical needs). I'm not offended. I eat lchf..ketogenic. Eating that way still doesn't negate the simplicity of calorie in calorie out. Eating that way just helps me moreso than eating more carbs because I have a medical condition..plus, personally, the fat helps keep me full longer and my calories lower.

My point was just re-enforcing yours.

But you seemed to think that IIFYM, or other calorie counting diets weren't gimmicky they are.

Nothing wrong with gimmicky - if it gets people doing what they need to do to be healthy!

Most things we do are driven by gimmicky things.

• JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    jenjay8045 wrote: »
    Just putting this out there...If you do a low carb lifestyle, eventually you will run out of this "water weight" You cannot lose 85 pounds of "just" water weight in 6 months. How do I know???? Because I am living freaking proof! UGH. So tired of all these so called experts here....OP if Low carb helps keep you balanced, do it and when you eat your carbs eat the good ones found in fresh veggies and quality grains... Best of luck! :)

High five, little lady!! :)

love both of these

Thanks :) I dont care much about the bullies of MFP. God forbid you do what works for YOU. Like I said, 6 months 85 lbs...those numbers don't lie. Do I occasionally have a carb binge....yup. DO i feel yucky afterwards??? Yup. But as soon as I get back on my lower carb higher protien and fat and have a calorie deficit I lose weight. Plain and simple. SO like I said earlier....Do what works for you, and to heck with everyone else. :)

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

What's the problem?

But you seemed to think that IIFYM, or other calorie counting diets weren't gimmicky they are.

Nothing wrong with gimmicky - if it gets people doing what they need to do to be healthy!

All diets follow IIFYM or should.

Keto
    Paleo
    LCHF
    HCLF
    Moderation
    Vegetarian
    Vegan
    Etc.
    Etc.
    Etc.

none are really better than the others. It's based on the individual.

Why eat food you don't like?

But why not eat food you do like?

We all moderate.
    We all reduce intake.

The only diet better than any other is the one you will adhere to the best/longest and ideally see the most results.

CICO matter for any and all of them

• JenniferIsLosingIt
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Just putting this out there...If you do a low carb lifestyle, eventually you will run out of this "water weight" You cannot lose 85 pounds of "just" water weight in 6 months. How do I know???? Because I am living freaking proof! UGH. So tired of all these so called experts here....OP if LOw carb helps keep you balanced, do it and when you eat your carbs eat the good ones found in fres veggies and quality grains... Best of luck! :)

No kidding. No one has said that.

No they didnt say that specifically but several posts said the weight lost from low carb was just water weight. So my response was I have been doing low carb for roughly 6 months with occasional cheat meals and once in a while a complete all out carb fests. Yet I am still losing as soon as I eat on plan again.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Just putting this out there...If you do a low carb lifestyle, eventually you will run out of this "water weight" You cannot lose 85 pounds of "just" water weight in 6 months. How do I know???? Because I am living freaking proof! UGH. So tired of all these so called experts here....OP if LOw carb helps keep you balanced, do it and when you eat your carbs eat the good ones found in fres veggies and quality grains... Best of luck! :)

It's not that people are so called "experts" just because they have answers. You just might not know as much. No need to get upset about that.

You seem to enjoy putting your two cents in on a lot of posts and its always annoying...js
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

No kidding. No one has said that.

No they didnt say that specifically but several posts said the weight lost from low carb was just water weight. So my response was I have been doing low carb for roughly 6 months with occasional cheat meals and once in a while a complete all out carb fests. Yet I am still losing as soon as I eat on plan again.

I think the point of the low carb water weight thing is that a lot of people find that when they start low carb weight goes down quickly. Thus they think low-carb = fat loss, when most of it is water when you are starting out. Then, if they go off low-carb, the water weight comes back on and then they think going off low-carb = rapid fat gain. This causes a cycle which leads people to be more scared of carbs than they should be. It doesn't negate that if you follow low carb and maintain a calorie deficit you will lose fat, like you will with any diet that you have a calorie deficit on.

• JenniferIsLosingIt
    Options

What's the problem?

Keto
    Paleo
    LCHF
    HCLF
    Moderation
    Vegetarian
    Vegan
    Etc.
    Etc.
    Etc.

We all moderate.
    We all reduce intake.

The only diet better than any other is the one you will adhere to the best/longest and ideally see the most results.

I must confess to being totally intrigued by the Keto diet. I have a friend on here Named andy that used to be 500 pounds and has lost going on a 100 pounds doing keto, eating BACON Every dang day! That is a diet any one could love...unless you are a vegetarian...lol!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Except I eat bacon every day as well without a diet such as keto. ANY diet should be able to incorporate bacon daily if someone wants it to.
  • asdowe13
    edited December 2014
    Options

What's the problem?

Keto
    Paleo
    LCHF
    HCLF
    Moderation
    Vegetarian
    Vegan
    Etc.
    Etc.
    Etc.

We all moderate.
    We all reduce intake.

I must confess to being totally intrigued by the Keto diet. I have a friend on here Named andy that used to be 500 pounds and has lost going on a 100 pounds doing keto, eating BACON Every dang day! That is a diet any one could love...unless you are a vegetarian...lol!

I don't follow Keto, But i could eat bacon everyday.
    A ) If i wanted to
    B ) If I could afford to
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    i dont think everyone here is going to agree. i think i should reiterate that my title was Carbs are MY enemy and not "the" "your" "everyones" totally meant this for me in which i have now decided to change my %'s which has made me feel so much better healthier etc and i now look forward to weigh in day.

That sounds great rachylouise87. No one can tell another in the end with validity what to put into their body or the ratios of Carbs/Fats/Proteins that work best for them at the end of the day.

On the web good BS detection may be key to losing weight. :)

• tennisdude2004
    Options

What's the problem?

Keto
    Paleo
    LCHF
    HCLF
    Moderation
    Vegetarian
    Vegan
    Etc.
    Etc.
    Etc.

We all moderate.
    We all reduce intake.

Totally agree - I have always thought one dimensional thinking in regards to one thing is better than the other is dumb!!!

All diets require sacrifice - the best diet is the one that feels the least price to pay.

In regards to IIFYM - agreed it's the basis for weight loss, but it can fall short on the health front. A healthy diet is more about what you eat (micros) rather than what percentage macro you hit.

But to be fair most people following IIFYM will have an understanding of this - although the message is not always presented clearly to newbies.

• asdowe13
    Options

What's the problem?

Keto
    Paleo
    LCHF
    HCLF
    Moderation
    Vegetarian
    Vegan
    Etc.
    Etc.
    Etc.

We all moderate.
    We all reduce intake.

Totally agree - I have always thought one dimensional thinking in regards to one thing is better than the other is dumb!!!

All diets require sacrifice - the best diet is the one that feels the least price to pay.

In regards to IIFYM - agreed it's the basis for weight loss, but it can fall short on the health front. A healthy diet is more about what you eat (micros) rather than what percentage macro you hit.

But to be fair most people following IIFYM will have an understanding of this - although the message is not always presented clearly to newbies.

Just add the M

IIFYMM

• tennisdude2004
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Except I eat bacon every day as well without a diet such as keto. ANY diet should be able to incorporate bacon daily if someone wants it to.

Agreed - bacon the most important of macro nutrients - js

I had more than my fair share for lunch!!!

• tennisdude2004
    Options

What's the problem?

Keto
    Paleo
    LCHF
    HCLF
    Moderation
    Vegetarian
    Vegan
    Etc.
    Etc.
    Etc.

We all moderate.
    We all reduce intake.

Just add the M

IIFYMM

An extra M always stands for moderation - If it fits your macros moderation - nope!!! still needs to be clearer!

This discussion has been closed.