carbs are my enemy

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    i am 27 3 kids under 5 go to work, still workout try to eat well but sometimes let food choices get in the way. its not an excuse but when pushed to your limits and your tired. me personally i grab the wrong foods. i hadnt yet learnt that for me i cant eat what i want or the types of foods i want. now my work friend she gorges on mcdonalds every sunday and is as thin as a stick. then i have to keep reminding myself she is thin but unhealthy. but it would be nice to have a thin toned body but also a healthy heart.

i had issues before the babies but the babies made it worse since dieting when pregnant is not an option and working out was hard on my body ( i had severe pelvic pain)

can i just add, since dropping the carb level to 90 increasing fat to 53 and protein to 90 i feel great today, not bloated, better food choices, more water and managed to do my 30 day shred without almost crying!!
    Weight loss is a LOT more than CICO which is one important factor of weight loss...
    Gale, with all due respect, the above statement is misinformation. CICO is the only qualifying factor to weight loss, because if you don't eat less than you burn you will not lose weight. Any other factors have to do with personal preferences or medical conditions that need to be addressed.

We know many eating 1200 calories daily are doing harm to their health because they are clueless as to how the number was computed or why. CICO is a factor but not the only factor.

Some people on 1200 are probably harming their health, yes. But are they losing weight? Yes. In a healthy and sustainable way probably not, for some. We're talking about whether CICO works for weight loss. Yes. It does. You're trying to lead the discussion into general heath, which is not what others were talking about.

After that video I do see where the point of view you are talking about CICO. Yes I am into general health over just weight loss.

However only a fool would say CICO does NOT work for weight loss alone.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MLKj1puoWCg

At 4:50 into the video this guy talks about getting fat makes our brains get smaller so weight loss he thinks can make us act smarter. CICO applied could help recover brain size perhaps.

That's plain silly. I know lots of smart overweight people, and some really dumb skinny ones.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    i am 27 3 kids under 5 go to work, still workout try to eat well but sometimes let food choices get in the way. its not an excuse but when pushed to your limits and your tired. me personally i grab the wrong foods. i hadnt yet learnt that for me i cant eat what i want or the types of foods i want. now my work friend she gorges on mcdonalds every sunday and is as thin as a stick. then i have to keep reminding myself she is thin but unhealthy. but it would be nice to have a thin toned body but also a healthy heart.

i had issues before the babies but the babies made it worse since dieting when pregnant is not an option and working out was hard on my body ( i had severe pelvic pain)

can i just add, since dropping the carb level to 90 increasing fat to 53 and protein to 90 i feel great today, not bloated, better food choices, more water and managed to do my 30 day shred without almost crying!!
    Weight loss is a LOT more than CICO which is one important factor of weight loss...
    Gale, with all due respect, the above statement is misinformation. CICO is the only qualifying factor to weight loss, because if you don't eat less than you burn you will not lose weight. Any other factors have to do with personal preferences or medical conditions that need to be addressed.

If that was factual then overeating would lead to weight gain.

The wild card is there are not three people on the site per my guess that even know how many calories they need to be eating to lose or gain weight but just work of a best guess of some software developer working off of some data that may or may not be valid. If we can get more science into how to eat for best health it would be helpful I expect.

We know many eating 1200 calories daily are doing harm to their health because they are clueless as to how the number was computed or why. CICO is a factor but not the only factor.

Overeating DOES lead to weight gain...

Hmmmm. Who knew? :smiley:
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    down 1.4lbs this week by cutting carbs in half... it had stalled for 4 weeks .... i think i will keep going
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Some people on 1200 are probably harming their health, yes. But are they losing weight? Yes. In a healthy and sustainable way probably not, for some. We're talking about whether CICO works for weight loss. Yes. It does. You're trying to lead the discussion into general heath, which is not what others were talking about.

After that video I do see where the point of view you are talking about CICO. Yes I am into general health over just weight loss.

At 4:50 into the video this guy talks about getting fat makes our brains get smaller so weight loss he thinks can make us act smarter. CICO applied could help recover brain size perhaps.

I... what?????

• PeachyCarol
    edited December 2014
    Options
    down 1.4lbs this week by cutting carbs in half... it had stalled for 4 weeks .... i think i will keep going

You know that's water weight, right? Keep counting calories.

• rachylouise87
    Options

of course its water weight but it will only continue to drop from here. i no longer feel bloated sick or tired and it will only get better. by eating 180g of carbs per day i could not shift any more weight and i was keeping within 1200 calories per day and doing 50 minutes of cardio per day.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    That is great that you feel better, and honestly, I have nothing against low carb... just people who think that carbs are evil and that there's some sort of magic to it.

I personally feel better moderate carbing, so I get that individuals feel better tweaking their diets to individual preferences. I also personally feel better being a vegetarian. I'm all about personal preferences. You'll never find me making a post saying everyone should do these things, though.

Plateaus happen in weight loss. I'm glad you broke through yours.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    ^^ That sounds miserable.

Which is why you don't low carb. <3

Not everyone is miserable limiting carbs to vegetables and fruits. I was more miserable while eating lots of/moderate amounts of carbohydrates.

^^^^ This!

Each to their own.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Not necessarily - your muscles an liver can only store a limited amount of glycogen, so it depends on how active that person has been and from what levels they are cutting their carbs from and to!

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

of course its water weight but it will only continue to drop from here. i no longer feel bloated sick or tired and it will only get better. by eating 180g of carbs per day i could not shift any more weight and i was keeping within 1200 calories per day and doing 50 minutes of cardio per day.

Is 180g low? I eat less fat and consider my diet to be high fat.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options

Not necessarily - your muscles an liver can only store a limited amount of glycogen, so it depends on how active that person has been and from what levels they are cutting their carbs from and to!

Considering she started this thread 4 days ago..i'm going to say it's mostly water weight.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I think she was saying that 180 g of carbs was high for her. 180 g would be 60% of 1200 calories so it is in the higher side of the average range.

(I had to read her post twice to get what she was saying)

Also, 180 g. of fat would be REALLY high fat (like 1620 calories worth)

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Considering she started this thread 4 days ago..i'm going to say it's mostly water weight.

Yep, that and poop....normal daily fluctuations
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Yep, that and poop....normal daily fluctuations

Of course, retaining water and poop could easily be why OP was in a plateau, so this might be just what she needed to jump off.

• blktngldhrt
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I think she was saying that 180 g of carbs was high for her. 180 g would be 60% of 1200 calories so it is in the higher side of the average range.

(I had to read her post twice to get what she was saying)

Also, 180 g. of fat would be REALLY high fat (like 1620 calories worth)

Gotcha. I lose on reading comprehension for that one. :)

Yeah..i eat about 100-118g of fat a day (1200-1420 calories).
  • rachylouise87
    Options
    my fat is 53g carbs 90 and protein 90 loads more workout energy, i was previously feeling bloated sick and tired during them and pms was x10, skin has also started clearing
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

The human brain has been shrinking for 10,000 years. Are you sure this guy has a clue what he's talking about?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Excellent! That means cutting those carbs in half created a calorie deficit for you, or you lost some water from the amount of carbs you were eating. ;)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

how do you shift weight???
  • earlnabby
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

how do you shift weight???

Don't be an a@@. You know very well it is a Brit term for making it go away.

This discussion has been closed.