carbs are my enemy

Options

Replies

• 454mikey990
    Options
    More protein, healthy fats and keep your carbs under 100g. Watch your grain consumption since they are high in carbs it is easy to overindulge.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    unless you have some kind of medical condition then it is not carbs that is hampering your weight loss, it is over eating.

Do you own a food scale?
    do you weigh/log/measure everything?

You can eat carbs, be in a deficit, and lose weight; consequently, you can not eat carbs, eat in a surplus, and gain weight.....

She mentioned suspected insulin resistance. I don't know what suspected means, though. However..if it is insulin resistance then lowering carb intake would be a good idea.
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I love carbs. With my whole heart.

In the absence of a medical condition, carbs aren't inherently what's causing you to gain weight; a calorie surplus is what's causing you to gain weight. Sure, you may be getting those extra calories from carbs, but you can gain weight by eating at a surplus from any macronutrient (or combination thereof). But it's not the specific macronutrient; it's the calories overall.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    thanks but im not eating to maintain i wouldnt say 1200 calories with a TDEE of 1745 and a deficit of 550 sometimes more depending on exercise is a maintenance kinda number?

i am always within calorie limit sometimes exercise cals are eaten back sometimes not depends how full i feel in the day.
    when i eat the carbs i feel tired bloated and for the past 3-4 weeks have not shifted any weight. i initially lost a stone and then mistakenly thought i could introduce more carbs. big mistake as its now had an effect. for me personally the more refined carbs in my diet the worse it is for fluid retention and metabolism. i have suspected insulin resistance which is gradually getting better with weight loss.

thanks for everyones input but i know where i need to go from here. high protein meals with plenty of vegetables and a small amount of starchy carbs to fuel exercise.

I have insulin resistance from PCOS as well as hypothyroidism so I understand what you are saying! Carbs are my enemy as well- my doc has put me at a daily goal of 30g per day- haven't been able to achieve this yet - doin 60g now but if I eat carbs my weight stalls and/or goes up. If I don't eat carbs it goes down, despite caloric deficit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    unless you have some kind of medical condition then it is not carbs that is hampering your weight loss, it is over eating.

Do you own a food scale?

You can eat carbs, be in a deficit, and lose weight; consequently, you can not eat carbs, eat in a surplus, and gain weight.....

She mentioned suspected insulin resistance. I don't know what suspected means, though. However..if it is insulin resistance then lowering carb intake would be a good idea.

was that confirmed by a doctor?

unless of course OP has self diagnosed herself ....
  • blktngldhrt
    Options

Do you own a food scale?

I have no idea. Just saying it was mentioned and if it is the case, carb restriction could be beneficial.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    blukitten wrote: »
    thanks but im not eating to maintain i wouldnt say 1200 calories with a TDEE of 1745 and a deficit of 550 sometimes more depending on exercise is a maintenance kinda number?

i am always within calorie limit sometimes exercise cals are eaten back sometimes not depends how full i feel in the day.
    when i eat the carbs i feel tired bloated and for the past 3-4 weeks have not shifted any weight. i initially lost a stone and then mistakenly thought i could introduce more carbs. big mistake as its now had an effect. for me personally the more refined carbs in my diet the worse it is for fluid retention and metabolism. i have suspected insulin resistance which is gradually getting better with weight loss.

thanks for everyones input but i know where i need to go from here. high protein meals with plenty of vegetables and a small amount of starchy carbs to fuel exercise.

I have insulin resistance from PCOS as well as hypothyroidism so I understand what you are saying! Carbs are my enemy as well- my doc has put me at a daily goal of 30g per day- haven't been able to achieve this yet - doin 60g now but if I eat carbs my weight stalls and/or goes up. If I don't eat carbs it goes down, despite caloric deficit.

I'm the same. Hypoglycemia over here..and I don't lose and will gain while eating normal levels of carbs..deficit or not. Stupid excess insulin is to blame on my end.

I'm at 18g or less a day (net).
  • ndj1979
    Options

Do you own a food scale?

I have no idea. Just saying it was mentioned and if it is the case, carb restriction could be beneficial.
    if it is a medical condition then yes, cut carbs...

if OP has self diagnosed herself, then I would suggest seeing an actual doctor, and not playing one at home...

• blktngldhrt
    Options

Do you own a food scale?

if it is a medical condition then yes, cut carbs...

if OP has self diagnosed herself, then I would suggest seeing an actual doctor, and not playing one at home...

Agreed
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i never said i was insulin resistant however undergoing medical advice about this and currently seeing a dr which would be nobody's business but my own. the symptoms i present relate to PCOS however medical testing suggests no cysts but the hormonal imbalance which comes with it and hormones are constantly up and down. for the people who know about PCOS then fair deal however if you dont i suggest google to be a good start otherwise discussing my own personal symptoms on here is not something i would like to do. i came for advice on following a low carb diet as i have proved in the past by lowering carbs unintentionally at the time and only looking back on it now proved to give me results. however this was done through no thinking at the time (around 2 years ago whilst trying to conceive my son through fertility problems) so i had no idea where to make a starting point and if at all it could be coincidence that lowering my carbs could relate to previous weight loss and introducing more could cause gain and water retention.Just to put it out there my dad has type 2 diabetes so my own personal reasons for following a low carb diet is there... i do not want to end up with type 2 as i am higher risk for developing this. i am already 32lbs overweight... i am doing my best here.

that is all.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    PCOS, and/or insulin resistance. Sounds like exploring your carb intake is wise regardless. Best of luck.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    As a prediabetic, my fasting glucose and triglyceride measurements were all that was needed to tell me this (in addition to the family members with Type 2 diabetes).

Look at the level of glucose without food 12 hours prior to blood draw. This number should be 60-90. Anything higher while fasting will give you an indication as to how you're digesting and processing your carbs. Hemoglobin A1C is another indicator of diabetes (I forget the normal range for that). Then Triglycerides are another indicator (upper normal should be 150. Anything above that is starting to get high).

Bottom line is that you have a family member with Type 2, therefore, you are more likely to get diabetes. You're doing the right thing by losing weight and trying to stay away from carbs as much as you can. The actual number of grams is less important than the balancing of carbs with your proteins and fats. When I started my dieting seriously to try and stay away from Type 2, I set my calories to 35% carbs, 35% protein, and 30% fat. As it got easier to stay away from carbs over time, I reduced further to 30% carbs, 35% protein, and 35% fats.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Options
    OP while it may not be our business to what medical issues you have, you have to realize that the information will change in the presence of having one. We would not recommend the same path for a diabetic or someone with pcos as a person with no known conditions. I cant even begin to tell you how many threads we get that after 8 pages of back and forth that a med condition comes up and every one changes their answer.

So its not prying into your personal life but rather getting all the information to make a more informed recommendation. Without all the info its like going to the doc and just saying your sick and expect them to figure it all out.
  • rachylouise87
    Options
    i did state on the first page suspected insulin resistance. i did not say "i am insulin resistant" i understand getting a little background but when the medical question was asked i answered this honestly.
  • rachylouise87
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    As a prediabetic, my fasting glucose and triglyceride measurements were all that was needed to tell me this (in addition to the family members with Type 2 diabetes).

Look at the level of glucose without food 12 hours prior to blood draw. This number should be 60-90. Anything higher while fasting will give you an indication as to how you're digesting and processing your carbs. Hemoglobin A1C is another indicator of diabetes (I forget the normal range for that). Then Triglycerides are another indicator (upper normal should be 150. Anything above that is starting to get high).

Bottom line is that you have a family member with Type 2, therefore, you are more likely to get diabetes. You're doing the right thing by losing weight and trying to stay away from carbs as much as you can. The actual number of grams is less important than the balancing of carbs with your proteins and fats. When I started my dieting seriously to try and stay away from Type 2, I set my calories to 35% carbs, 35% protein, and 30% fat. As it got easier to stay away from carbs over time, I reduced further to 30% carbs, 35% protein, and 35% fats.

so would you recommend starting at 35% carbs 35% protein and 30% fat or increase fat intake? i was reading up on the ketogenic diet which recommends 10% carbs 20% protein and 70% fat? would this be the wrong way of doing it. to be honest i have been low fat until now and moderate protein so the only things changing would be carbs and fat if i was doing the ketogenic diet.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Ranchylouise87 if you are going to be acting on ANY recommendations from any internet forum that could be counter productive to one's health but I think you knew that long ago. :)

You keeping your medical info private is a good practice on the internet. It is not like you will find any qualified to offer valid input on this forum in reguard to your diet or health concerns without you seeing them in their offices where they practice.
  • rachylouise87
    Options
    and also was this for weight loss or health benefits. mine would be for both?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Ranchylouise87 if you are going to be acting on ANY recommendations from any internet forum that could be counter productive to one's health but I think you knew that long ago. :)

You keeping your medical info private is a good practice on the internet. It is not like you will find any qualified to offer valid input on this forum in reguard to your diet or health concerns without you seeing them in their offices where they practice.

says the person with a fake profile....talk about irony ...
This discussion has been closed.