carbs are my enemy

Options

Replies

• Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    wkwebby wrote: »
    As a prediabetic, my fasting glucose and triglyceride measurements were all that was needed to tell me this (in addition to the family members with Type 2 diabetes).

Look at the level of glucose without food 12 hours prior to blood draw. This number should be 60-90. Anything higher while fasting will give you an indication as to how you're digesting and processing your carbs. Hemoglobin A1C is another indicator of diabetes (I forget the normal range for that). Then Triglycerides are another indicator (upper normal should be 150. Anything above that is starting to get high).

Bottom line is that you have a family member with Type 2, therefore, you are more likely to get diabetes. You're doing the right thing by losing weight and trying to stay away from carbs as much as you can. The actual number of grams is less important than the balancing of carbs with your proteins and fats. When I started my dieting seriously to try and stay away from Type 2, I set my calories to 35% carbs, 35% protein, and 30% fat. As it got easier to stay away from carbs over time, I reduced further to 30% carbs, 35% protein, and 35% fats.

so would you recommend starting at 35% carbs 35% protein and 30% fat or increase fat intake? i was reading up on the ketogenic diet which recommends 10% carbs 20% protein and 70% fat? would this be the wrong way of doing it. to be honest i have been low fat until now and moderate protein so the only things changing would be carbs and fat if i was doing the ketogenic diet.

I am not going to recommend anything but 35/35/30 is my ratio also. My calories are 1830 so I eat 160 g carbs. I am T2 diabetic and my doctor has given me a daily maximum of 180 g. so she is fine with the 160. People with metabolic issues don't necessarily have to go extreme low carb but some do better with it than others. I do better with reduced carbs rather than low carb. I am off the medication (less than a year after diagnosis) and all of my labs have come back excellent.

Talk to your doctor or a Registered Dietician to see what is best for you.

I agree. You really need to get personalised advice from a clinician who knows your medical and personal situation.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    i think i found the problem to my weight loss stalls, carbs... slowly been creeping in again even though i am keeping the calories down i seem to have a problem with crisps, potatoes,pizza,chips, pasta rice etc when i cut it out the weight comes off. surely this cant be a coincidence?

Don't cut them out. Just make better choices. Stay away from the fast digest carbs and go with slow digest.
    Please stop with the nonsense.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Ranchylouise87 if you are going to be acting on ANY recommendations from any internet forum that could be counter productive to one's health but I think you knew that long ago. :)

You keeping your medical info private is a good practice on the internet. It is not like you will find any qualified to offer valid input on this forum in reguard to your diet or health concerns without you seeing them in their offices where they practice.

says the person with a fake profile....talk about irony ...

haha I'm crazy curious now, How does everyone know ablout this fake profile? I want in!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/galehawkins

Yup. The real Gale is a CEO of a software solutions company from Kentucky. This member is doing the same thing he's doing with the Steve098 profile, taking someone's profile and trying to pass it off as his own.

How is that allowed?

It shouldn't be an MFP obviously doesn't care.

Yuck! It makes me want to delete my LinkedIn, FB and ResearchGate accounts.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Chips and other tasty treats turn me into the incredible hulk for food. I can understand completely why some people want to avoid them.
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone my skin has been terrible since the age of 13 and nothing changes it including diet. i have jumped on the drinking loads of water band wagon and trying to eat clean but its very hard. its a good calorie counter on here which i need the most
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

thanks everyone my skin has been terrible since the age of 13 and nothing changes it including diet. i have jumped on the drinking loads of water band wagon and trying to eat clean but its very hard. its a good calorie counter on here which i need the most

I wouldn't stress the eating clean thing too much, just aim to get the majority of your calories from nutrient dense foods. You can also slowly work on lowering your carbs as well. I would start around 120-150gs and then lower it every few weeks. The majority of the time, I see women with PCOS around 80-120gs total. It may be beneficial to check out the PCOS groups as well.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    xyr37qvvy6k3.jpg
    This thread needs some of my favorite carbs!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    xyr37qvvy6k3.jpg

I agree.

The wife picked me up some Hershey's Unsweetened Cocoa for my coffee but it is not candy but I like it to start the day.

A tablespoon (5 grams) only has 10 calories with 3 grams of carbs and 2 grams of fiber. I guess the antioxidants are a plus but it could just be a marketing note on the box. :)

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    xyr37qvvy6k3.jpg

Mmm.

Low carb cacao powder, Stevia, and coconut oil for me.
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    do you mak
    xyr37qvvy6k3.jpg

Mmm.

do you make this into a drink?

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    do you mak
    xyr37qvvy6k3.jpg

Mmm.

probably freeze it
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If you find it hard to cut out "dirty foods" (I guess? whatever your opposite of clean is) and carbs, it's not something you'll be able to stick with.

If you find yourself overeating on carbs and hyperpalatable foods, limit them to treats and reduce the amount you eat. Jumping straight to keto may not be the best idea in the world. Why don't you look at your current carb intake and reduce it by 20-30% and see how that affects your satiety and how you feel. You can then adjust based on how you feel. You should be able to find a sweet spot of enough carbs/treats that you don't feel deprived and want to binge and not enough that you feel it's affecting your ability to eat at a deficit and eat in appropriate portions. (And this will be a sliding scale for everyone; some people will find that sweet spot in keto because they don't miss the carbs, and others will be relatively high in carbs because they have enough willpower to stay within their calorie goals eating carbs.)

For me personally, I had to get some things out of the house for a while until I was able to control myself with them in the house. For example, I use to eat tons of ice cream in a sitting, and I just couldn't have it in the house. So, I stopped buying it, but I would go out for gelato and I knew I'd be getting exactly 3oz (the shop weighs their servings for product control). I was able to get used to an appropriate portion without having it available in the house to binge on.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself overeating on carbs and palatable foods, limit them to treats and reduce the amount you eat.
    by "palatable" I assume you mean the so-called "hyper palatable" foods? Crisps and what not. And yes, I agree with getting them out of the house for a while.
  • auddii
    Options
    i think i found the problem to my weight loss stalls, carbs... slowly been creeping in again even though i am keeping the calories down i seem to have a problem with crisps, potatoes,pizza,chips, pasta rice etc when i cut it out the weight comes off. surely this cant be a coincidence?

As you can see you are not alone in finding carbs are the sneaky calories. :)

I can over eat by a 1000 calories a day and if they are carbs it is bad news at weight-in since they become glucose. Protein is so so because about half of them become glucose and Fats just do not seem to add much if any to my short term weight gain since they do not go to glucose in any meaningful way it seems inside of MY body. A professional body builder that is burning off the glucose may see no weight gain like I do.

After being glucose fueled for over 60 years I had to go very low carb (<50 grams daily) a few month ago to drop my weight it seemed below my 220-250 years of yo yoing range. 220 was like a stone wall over and over until I became mainly fueled by ketones instead of glucose that killed the carb craving when only doing 5% carbs. If I did not cold turkey carbs they would in a short time become 30-50 of my diet again in my personal case.

adowe makes a good point about how we will cut calories if we cut carbs in most cases. This is the reason many on very low carb diets just count carbs vs calories because with Sweet Tooth pulled and the carb craving gone we do not tend to overeat on just Fats and Protein.

This may just be me but if I eat something with even a few grams of sugar now I can fire up the carb craving.

Young active healthy people can get away with murder when it comes to your diets. Get to social security age and we often get thrown in jail for just 'J Walking' (not crossing the street where the traffic signal is located). At 20 anything goes, at 40 not as much but at 60+ my diet is critical to what I weigh and how I feel.

Yes for some of us it is very easy to get burned if we play with Carbs.

Yes I had problems abusing carbs when I was younger too but got away with for a while. At my age my suggestion would be to you that are still on the young side is to try to deal with carb craving now so you are not a health wreck down the road. Carb cravings only get WORSE with time.

OP, just ignore the above^^^

50% of protein does not turn into glucose
    Young people can't get away with murder just because they are you. He's just trying to play the "Old man" card. Just nonsense.
    And there is no way he is eating under 5% carbs. That's pretty much no fruits or vegetables either.

Plus, he uses a fake profile to pass as himself.

I actually wouldn't be that surprised if he does get 5% carbs because in other posts he said that he eats 1600 calories a day of coconut oil (with a spoon) and large quantities of protein powder. I'm not sure he actually eats much food. And I'm not sure why he keeps insisting this is a good diet for other people.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    If you find it hard to cut out "dirty foods" (I guess? whatever your opposite of clean is) and carbs, it's not something you'll be able to stick with.

If you find yourself overeating on carbs and palatable foods, limit them to treats and reduce the amount you eat. Jumping straight to keto may not be the best idea in the world. Why don't you look at your current carb intake and reduce it by 20-30% and see how that affects your satiety and how you feel. You can then adjust based on how you feel. You should be able to find a sweet spot of enough carbs/treats that you don't feel deprived and want to binge and not enough that you feel it's affecting your ability to eat at a deficit and eat in appropriate portions. (And this will be a sliding scale for everyone; some people will find that sweet spot in keto because they don't miss the carbs, and others will be relatively high in carbs because they have enough willpower to stay within their calorie goals eating carbs.)

For me personally, I had to get some things out of the house for a while until I was able to control myself with them in the house. For example, I use to eat tons of ice cream in a sitting, and I just couldn't have it in the house. So, I stopped buying it, but I would go out for gelato and I knew I'd be getting exactly 3oz (the shop weighs their servings for product control). I was able to get used to an appropriate portion without having it available in the house to binge on.
    Good advice, unfortunately most look for the full swing of the pendulum for the quick cure.

• auddii
    Options
    If you find yourself overeating on carbs and palatable foods, limit them to treats and reduce the amount you eat.
    by "palatable" I assume you mean the so-called "hyper palatable" foods? Crisps and what not. And yes, I agree with getting them out of the house for a while.

Yeah. I always overeat on stuff I find super tasty.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    do you mak
    xyr37qvvy6k3.jpg

Mmm.

probably freeze it

This. Freeze until solid.

Don't get me wrong, nothing compares to a regular chocolate bar. It's just nice to have an alternative when you can't eat the other..or want to enjoy more than a tiny bite.

I will forever miss peanut butter meltaways and chocolate truffles.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Just checking. Your use of palatable (all foods should be palatable) had me confused for a second. I agree. For me it's nachos. No nachos in the house. Nachos are a treat, in restaurants, on special occasions.
  • auddii
    edited December 2014
    Options

Just checking. Your use of palatable (all foods should be palatable) had me confused for a second. I agree. For me it's nachos. No nachos in the house. Nachos are a treat, in restaurants, on special occasions.
    Yeah, thanks for pointing it out. I went ahead and edited the post so that it wouldn't be as confusing to others.

ETA: I have a serious problem with queso. That becomes a rare treat and not one at home.
  • moppy1356
    moppy1356 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    lots of things here fit me - I am diabetic A1C of 122 (6.8 in Canada) and vegan so getting enough protein and low carb is kind of hard for me but in 6 months of being vegan I have lost 10 lbs and off Metformin and 2 of 3 cholesterol drugs I used to take. I do still have fish once or twice a week and egg whites so not entirely vegan but seems to work. I am getting to like tofu as I have found tasty ways to prepare it. Anyone who has some good ideas to increase protein without too much in the way of beans etc? Happy Holidays everyone
This discussion has been closed.