carbs are my enemy

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    And I don't remember saying these woman are complaining.

And I'm sure the single father is amazing. It is hard being a single parent - male or female. All I am saying is that sometimes life is hard and people get tired. They are not making excuses.

The bigger question is what is more important... if they want to lose weight, they will find a way... If they aren't ready to commit, they will find a reason to not do it.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    You can still lower calories and create a bigger deficit or exercise more to counter it >:)

Yes that would work but in reality asking a tired, menopausal woman who has not slept due to hot flushes and is on her feet all day in an active job, to eat less and exercise more, is asking for trouble.

Kinda like asking a single father who works multiple jobs with children to do the same. Except, I know one of those and he doesn't complain about it.

Or the countless number of single mothers with multiple kids on here working multiple jobs.

Yep, them too. They the real MVPs (not kidding).
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    And I don't remember saying these woman are complaining.

And I'm sure the single father is amazing. It is hard being a single parent - male or female. All I am saying is that sometimes life is hard and people get tired. They are not making excuses.

Of course life is hard, and people are always tired - that's part of keeping up with modern life. I work 60+ hours a week, am actively involved in a couple of clubs, volunteer with two different organizations and take continuing education courses. Granted these aren't children, but still, I am busy with commitments and I am exhausted by the time Friday comes around. Sometimes I need to take time off and relax, we all do, but using that as a reason to not eat properly isn't really a good reason.

I know I'm not a single parent working multiple jobs - before anyone gets on that bandwagon - but the point is we are all busy. I worked my butt off in university plus working full time to pay for school only to land a job where I work 60 - 75 hrs/week. It's pretty much a part of life for most people.

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options

Yep, them too. They the real MVPs (not kidding).
    :)
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    well i dont think going below 1200 is a good idea for me and i do an hour of cardio/circuit training a day so i think lowering the carbs was the only option i hadnt tried
  • acorsaut89
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    unless you have some kind of medical condition then it is not carbs that is hampering your weight loss, it is over eating.
    In some cases, it's the number of carbs in the diet that puts people into a calorie surplus. So indirectly, carbs are the culprit.

OK, but if you over eat protein, then protein is the culprit ....any one food group or macronutrient is not "bad' or a "culprit" etc...

so I stand by my original assertion that it is overeating, not carbs...

I agree that it is overeating and it is carbs at the same time. The carbs she listed tend to be calorie-dense foods with "empty" calories, so to speak.

They don't provide a whole lot of nutritional value to the body, so the body still needs proper nutrition from other places, causing over eating.

Also many of us do not use up the amount of energy needed to properly use the starchy carbs she has listed. If we don't use the energy, our body digests it as sugar which is hard on your body, too.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »

Of course life is hard, and people are always tired - that's part of keeping up with modern life. I work 60+ hours a week, am actively involved in a couple of clubs, volunteer with two different organizations and take continuing education courses. Granted these aren't children, but still, I am busy with commitments and I am exhausted by the time Friday comes around. Sometimes I need to take time off and relax, we all do, but using that as a reason to not eat properly isn't really a good reason.

I know I'm not a single parent working multiple jobs - before anyone gets on that bandwagon - but the point is we are all busy. I worked my butt off in university plus working full time to pay for school only to land a job where I work 60 - 75 hrs/week. It's pretty much a part of life for most people.

You guys should be able to do it standing on your heads. You are young and fit. :)
    Try working those hours in 30 years time - then talk to me about being tired. :p
  • psuLemon
    Options
    well i dont think going below 1200 is a good idea for me and i do an hour of cardio/circuit training a day so i think lowering the carbs was the only option i hadnt tried
    If you are active, even 1200 calories isn't going to be good for you. It would be difficult to get adequate nutrition at those levels. If anything, you should aim or start a bit higher but adjust your carbs to be lower and then incorporate some resistance training to help with muscle retention.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    Sorry rachylouise, I forgot all about you sweetheart. I think from what I have heard, you will really benefit from lowering the carbs, especially wheat. :)
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

Lowering carbs and replacing them with fat *might* help you not feel as hungry while eating at a deficit.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    unless you have some kind of medical condition then it is not carbs that is hampering your weight loss, it is over eating.
    In some cases, it's the number of carbs in the diet that puts people into a calorie surplus. So indirectly, carbs are the culprit.

OK, but if you over eat protein, then protein is the culprit ....any one food group or macronutrient is not "bad' or a "culprit" etc...

so I stand by my original assertion that it is overeating, not carbs...

I agree that it is overeating and it is carbs at the same time. The carbs she listed tend to be calorie-dense foods with "empty" calories, so to speak.

They don't provide a whole lot of nutritional value to the body, so the body still needs proper nutrition from other places, causing over eating.

Also many of us do not use up the amount of energy needed to properly use the starchy carbs she has listed. If we don't use the energy, our body digests it as sugar which is hard on your body, too.

Regardless if it's carbs, protein or fat, if you over consume calories, you will gain weight. And our bodies convert carbs/sugar into glucose, not sugars.
  • acorsaut89
    Options

You guys should be able to do it standing on your heads. You are young and fit. :)
    Try working those hours in 30 years time - then talk to me about being tired. :p

I HATE, HATE, HATE it when people say things like this. Yes I am young, yes I have (hopefully) a lot of working years ahead of me but working those kinds of hours at any age is exhausting and is not good for anyone, really. Just because I am young doesn't make it any easier on my body right now. When I get sick, I am out for weeks because I'm so tired. I have had this same chest cold since the end of November.

I really wish people wouldn't say that. Sure, you can say looking back things were easier for you at whatever point in your life, but I am only 25 and I only have those 25 years of life to compare it to. And for me, that's what I know and that's what I'm doing to better my life before I have the commitment of a marriage and children.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Another excuse
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You can still lower calories and create a bigger deficit or exercise more to counter it >:)

Yes that would work but in reality asking a tired, menopausal woman who has not slept due to hot flushes and is on her feet all day in an active job, to eat less and exercise more, is asking for trouble.

Really?? I'm pretty sure I'm about "of age" I am a single mom who works full time, takes care of a home my kids AND still makes time to exercise, so explain this.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

What? Think about your life 30 years ago..did you find it so super easy that you could have done it standing on your head? If you're honest, I'm guessing the answer is no.

For example: If someone asked me, right now, how my 31 hour labor with my DD face up was..i would say "not bad enough that I wouldn't do it again." If someone asked me at the 28 hour mark of said labor..i would probably either hit them or use a lot of cuss words that in other words meant this will absolutely not ever be happening again.
  • acorsaut89
    Options

What? Think about your life 30 years ago..did you find it so super easy that you could have done it standing on your head? If you're honest, I'm guessing the answer is no.

For example: If someone asked me, right now, how my 31 hour labor with my DD face up was..i would say "not bad enough that I wouldn't do it again." If someone asked me at the 28 hour mark of said labor..i would probably either hit them or use a lot of cuss words that in other words meant this will absolutely not ever be happening again.

THANK YOU!

And Amen to that
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I14. Your liver is sluggish and you need a good cleanse

No no no and no
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    This post title could easily be misread as "crabs are the enemy", which is hilarious. Just throwin' that out there.

Craaaaaaab people...
    CrabPeople.png
  • LeenaGee
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Now you are all being ridiculous blktngldhrt, but for the record 34 years ago yesterday, I gave birth to a breech baby, born feet first after a 27 hour labour (you win on the length of labour) without any medication whatsoever!!!!

And yes, 30 years ago life was a lot easier physically. My bones didn't creak half as much as they do now.
This discussion has been closed.