Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Maitria wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I'm a vegan, but I eat meat, and animal products 98% of the time.
    I thought vegans didn't eat any meat or animal products.

It's a modification. :)

Oohhhhhh.... :D
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »

Weight loss = Caloric Deficit
    Weight gain = Caloric Surplus

This^^^ You're measuring something wrong.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    mindbodygreen.com/0-9294/14-reasons-you-cant-lose-weight.html

Some points may be better than others.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Maitria wrote: »
    moppy1356 wrote: »
    [I guess I am a low fat under 10g saturated, under 30g total fat pescatarian sort of vegan eater. My fish is sustainable kind and my egg whites are organic, free range, non hormone. Dairy is out and so is butter. Coconut oil if I must. Works for me.

If you want the technical term, I believe it would be ovo-pescetarian. But keep doing what works for you. It's ok if it doesn't have a label.
    I would agree it's better to not label yourself than to do it incorrectly.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I sure hope you are joking with that article. With the exception of you are eating too much, this lady doesn't provide anything that can be backed by science.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

#6 you're eating too much. That's the only good point..and I don't mean the ridiculous paragraph following.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Even though I think it is a terrible article, I actually believe all those factors contribute to people not losing weight naturally.
    1) Hormones - menopause for example
    2) Not enough Vitamin D
    3) Lack of exercise
    4) Digestive problems
    5) Sitting too much
    6) Eating too much
    7) Not chewing your food
    8) Stress
    9) Lack of sleep
    10) Fad dieter
    11) Eating out too much/not home cooked
    12) Not enough protein
    13) Not enough fats or Omega 3s
    14) Sluggish liver - too much alcohol for example

Most people dieting would benefit from assessing all these things surely.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

13 reasons to make excuses and 1 real issue.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    I'd like to see you tell that to a tired menopausal woman and survive the encounter. >:)
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    I'd like to see you tell that to a tired menopausal woman and survive the encounter. >:)

You can still lower calories and create a bigger deficit or exercise more to counter it >:)
  • blktngldhrt
    edited December 2014
    Options

It's still a case of eating too many calories to create a deficit in your current situation.

I have really high insulin levels..which inhibits weight loss..so I have to account for that in the foods I eat and calories I consume.

Eta.. Low blood glucose makes me tired/hungry/grumpy..quite an extensive list..too. I just have to account for it all and try like hell to find something that works for me.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    You can still lower calories and create a bigger deficit or exercise more to counter it >:)

Yes that would work but in reality asking a tired, menopausal woman who has not slept due to hot flushes and is on her feet all day in an active job, to eat less and exercise more, is asking for trouble.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Like MrM27 said, excuses.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    How exactly would that person be different. Sounds like another list of excuses.

Sorry I don't understand what you mean.

• LolBroScience
    Options

Yes that would work but in reality asking a tired, menopausal woman who has not slept due to hot flushes and is on her feet all day in an active job, to eat less and exercise more, is asking for trouble.

Kinda like asking a single father who works multiple jobs with children to do the same. Except, I know one of those and he doesn't complain about it.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options

Menopause isn't an acceptable excuse to eat more than you should or not exercise. also, you can lose or maintain weight without exercising.

Once in Menopause, it's time to adjust your eating habits..whether you're tired or not.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    And I don't remember saying these woman are complaining.

And I'm sure the single father is amazing. It is hard being a single parent - male or female. All I am saying is that sometimes life is hard and people get tired. They are not making excuses.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Kinda like asking a single father who works multiple jobs with children to do the same. Except, I know one of those and he doesn't complain about it.

Or the countless number of single mothers with multiple kids on here working multiple jobs.

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    jlahorn wrote: »
    You're probably counting something incorrectly if you think you're eating the same total calories but only losing weight when you cut out carbs.

HOWEVER, if it works for you, who cares? Do what it takes for you to be successful, as long as you do it in a healthy way. Placebos can be very helpful to many people.

I don't think that's necessarily true because if she is cutting out starchy carbs (which is what she's listed as not working and causing issues) then she is more than likely replacing it with lower calorie food but of the same quantity. She probably is making different nutritional choices and therefore lowering her caloric intake. The foods she mentioned are calorie dense and sometimes empty calories.

Refined carbs are often the starchy carbs, which turn to sugar if we don't use the energy. We need to use the energy in order to avoid these foods turning to sugar which is hard for our bodies to digest as well.

Overall, I'd say it's entirely possible she is losing more without these starchy/refined carbs.
This discussion has been closed.