carbs are my enemy

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    If you find yourself overeating on carbs and palatable foods, limit them to treats and reduce the amount you eat.
    by "palatable" I assume you mean the so-called "hyper palatable" foods? Crisps and what not. And yes, I agree with getting them out of the house for a while.

Yeah. I always overeat on stuff I find super tasty.

Just checking. Your use of palatable (all foods should be palatable) had me confused for a second. I agree. For me it's nachos. No nachos in the house. Nachos are a treat, in restaurants, on special occasions.

One thing I really can't have in the house is powdered sugar. No, I don't eat it on its own but mix it in equal portions with peanut butter and you have the insides of peanut butter cups. Also, you can mix it with butter, add a splash of vanilla extract or peppermint oil and you have a quick fondant. It is easy for me to not buy candy but when I can quickly make it myself . . .

• rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks after loads of research today i feel atkins is the way forward although i will be following it loosely. i have reduced carbs to 60g per day and put fat up to 80g and protein somewhere in the middle. i pretty much followed a carb free diet before but i didnt know i was doing it and didnt think about it. i guess i can do it again with just a little forward planning.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    i think i found the problem to my weight loss stalls, carbs... slowly been creeping in again even though i am keeping the calories down i seem to have a problem with crisps, potatoes,pizza,chips, pasta rice etc when i cut it out the weight comes off. surely this cant be a coincidence?

I have not read all the replies. I understand some people need to watch carb intake due to medical reasons, but they alone are not the cause of weight stalls. The over-consumption of food in general is what causes us to not lose weight. It is indeed coincidence that the numbers on the scale changed when you cut down on carbs because carbs cause water retention. When you booted the extra carbs out the door, the water left too.:) That, plus the type of carbs most of us love are the gooey lovely sweet kind that generally have more calories.

I can't live without the carbs, but I work hard to moderate them.
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I don't feel carbs are the enemy. For me, cutting carbs is like cutting hunger and cravings - that's why I do it. When I up the protein and reduce the carbs I can go longer without thinking about food - I'm fuller / longer. If I have a high carb breakfast (like cereal, bagel) at 8am - I'm ready to chew my arm off in an hour or two. If I have a couple boiled eggs, a protein shake or some cottage cheese I can easily make it to lunch and even then I'm eating because I should, not because I'm hungry per se.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    moppy1356 wrote: »
    lots of things here fit me - I am diabetic A1C of 122 (6.8 in Canada) and vegan so getting enough protein and low carb is kind of hard for me but in 6 months of being vegan I have lost 10 lbs and off Metformin and 2 of 3 cholesterol drugs I used to take. I do still have fish once or twice a week and egg whites so not entirely vegan but seems to work. I am getting to like tofu as I have found tasty ways to prepare it. Anyone who has some good ideas to increase protein without too much in the way of beans etc? Happy Holidays everyone

Salmon
    Tilapia
    Shrimp
    Cheese
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Broccoli
    Spinach
    Protein bars
    Protein shakes
    Eggs
    Greek yogurt
    Seitan
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lots of things here fit me - I am diabetic A1C of 122 (6.8 in Canada) and vegan so getting enough protein and low carb is kind of hard for me but in 6 months of being vegan I have lost 10 lbs and off Metformin and 2 of 3 cholesterol drugs I used to take. I do still have fish once or twice a week and egg whites so not entirely vegan but seems to work. I am getting to like tofu as I have found tasty ways to prepare it. Anyone who has some good ideas to increase protein without too much in the way of beans etc? Happy Holidays everyone

Salmon
    Tilapia
    Shrimp
    Cheese
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Broccoli
    Spinach
    Protein bars
    Protein shakes
    Eggs
    Greek yogurt
    Seitan

Most of that is not vegan friendly.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Salmon
    Tilapia
    Shrimp
    Cheese
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Broccoli
    Spinach
    Protein bars
    Protein shakes
    Eggs
    Greek yogurt
    Seitan

But she's not really following a vegan diet, she's following a pescetarian diet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself overeating on carbs and palatable foods, limit them to treats and reduce the amount you eat.
    by "palatable" I assume you mean the so-called "hyper palatable" foods? Crisps and what not. And yes, I agree with getting them out of the house for a while.

Yeah. I always overeat on stuff I find super tasty.

Just checking. Your use of palatable (all foods should be palatable) had me confused for a second. I agree. For me it's nachos. No nachos in the house. Nachos are a treat, in restaurants, on special occasions.
    Yeah, thanks for pointing it out. I went ahead and edited the post so that it wouldn't be as confusing to others.

ETA: I have a serious problem with queso. That becomes a rare treat and not one at home.
    Yup. chips and queso, nachos.... yup yup.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Maitria wrote: »

Salmon
    Tilapia
    Shrimp
    Cheese
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Broccoli
    Spinach
    Protein bars
    Protein shakes
    Eggs
    Greek yogurt
    Seitan

But she's not really following a vegan diet, she's following a pescetarian diet.

Completely missed that sentence lol
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Salmon
    Tilapia
    Shrimp
    Cheese
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Broccoli
    Spinach
    Protein bars
    Protein shakes
    Eggs
    Greek yogurt
    Seitan

She eats fish and eggs so she's not an actual vegan.

Nuts, seeds, broccoli, and spinach are all vegan-friendly.

She can purchase vegan cheese and greek yogurt made from almond or coconut milk.

There are plenty of vegan protein bars and shakes.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Maitria wrote: »

Salmon
    Tilapia
    Shrimp
    Cheese
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Broccoli
    Spinach
    Protein bars
    Protein shakes
    Eggs
    Greek yogurt
    Seitan

Completely missed that sentence lol
    I did too. You don't often see people who call themselves vegan, and eat fish.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan, but I eat meat, and animal products 98% of the time.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

By her definition *I'm* a vegan.
  • Maitria
    edited December 2014
    Options

It's the 2/98 version of veganism. It's all good.
  • Maitria
    Options

Salmon
    Tilapia
    Shrimp
    Cheese
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Broccoli
    Spinach
    Protein bars
    Protein shakes
    Eggs
    Greek yogurt
    Seitan

She eats fish and eggs so she's not an actual vegan.

Nuts, seeds, broccoli, and spinach are all vegan-friendly.

She can purchase vegan cheese and greek yogurt made from almond or coconut milk.

There are plenty of vegan protein bars and shakes.

Do you know of any vegan cheeses and greek yogurts that have a lot of protein? I would love to have my cheese count for something besides calories, and the coconut and almond greek yogurts I've found usually only have a few grams of protein at most. Soy based yogurts have around 6-7 grams but it's not a great deal for the satiety and calorie factor. Too bad, I love soy yogurt. (Yes, I do eat it sometimes but it's a treat item.)
  • moppy1356
    moppy1356 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    [I guess I am a low fat under 10g saturated, under 30g total fat pescatarian sort of vegan eater. My fish is sustainable kind and my egg whites are organic, free range, non hormone. Dairy is out and so is butter. Coconut oil if I must. Works for me.

• Maitria
    Options
    [I guess I am a low fat under 10g saturated, under 30g total fat pescatarian sort of vegan eater. My fish is sustainable kind and my egg whites are organic, free range, non hormone. Dairy is out and so is butter. Coconut oil if I must. Works for me.

If you want the technical term, I believe it would be ovo-pescetarian. But keep doing what works for you. It's ok if it doesn't have a label.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Thanks after loads of research today i feel atkins is the way forward although i will be following it loosely. i have reduced carbs to 60g per day and put fat up to 80g and protein somewhere in the middle. i pretty much followed a carb free diet before but i didnt know i was doing it and didnt think about it. i guess i can do it again with just a little forward planning.

Good for you.

I say that because you read and selected one. Getting started is the first step. As you learn more and more about how your body deals with different types of foods you can tweak it as you wish to work best for you.

All diets work at some level so it is really hard to go wrong on a diet that has lead to millions of success stories.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I thought vegans didn't eat any meat or animal products.
  • Maitria
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I thought vegans didn't eat any meat or animal products.

It's a modification. :)

This discussion has been closed.