carbs are my enemy

Options

Replies

• FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    i think i found the problem to my weight loss stalls, carbs... slowly been creeping in again even though i am keeping the calories down i seem to have a problem with crisps, potatoes,pizza,chips, pasta rice etc when i cut it out the weight comes off. surely this cant be a coincidence?

Don't cut them out. Just make better choices. Stay away from the fast digest carbs and go with slow digest.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Ranchylouise87 if you are going to be acting on ANY recommendations from any internet forum that could be counter productive to one's health but I think you knew that long ago. :)

You keeping your medical info private is a good practice on the internet. It is not like you will find any qualified to offer valid input on this forum in reguard to your diet or health concerns without you seeing them in their offices where they practice.

says the person with a fake profile....talk about irony ...

haha I'm crazy curious now, How does everyone know ablout this fake profile? I want in!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Ranchylouise87 if you are going to be acting on ANY recommendations from any internet forum that could be counter productive to one's health but I think you knew that long ago. :)

You keeping your medical info private is a good practice on the internet. It is not like you will find any qualified to offer valid input on this forum in reguard to your diet or health concerns without you seeing them in their offices where they practice.

haha I'm crazy curious now, How does everyone know ablout this fake profile? I want in!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/galehawkins
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I have found cutting out wheat has made such a difference to my health over the years. People here will roll their eyes but I eat as close to nature as possible, lots of meat, fish, chicken, eggs, vegetables, fruit and I limit dairy and oats. I very rarely buy anything with a barcode on it for myself and we rarely eat take away food. Most of our meals are home cooked and when we are out with friends I eat what is available and just enjoy the evening.

I drink alcohol and have the occasional sweets and chocolate but find I really don't feel well after eating a lot of added sugar so I stick to alcohol instead. lol

So if you are thinking, "if she eats so well, what brings her to MFP" and the answer is simple. I heard it has a good calorie counter. You can overeat healthy food as well and slowly but surely as I approach my sixties, the weight is slowly creeping on and I wanted to make adjustments.

Listen to your body Rachylouise and eat not only for weight loss but for good health as well and you will find a lot of your health issues will disappear. The fact your skin is terrible is a clear sign that your diet needs to be improved. Start with drinking plenty of water and if I was you, get wheat out of your diet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    i think i found the problem to my weight loss stalls, carbs... slowly been creeping in again even though i am keeping the calories down i seem to have a problem with crisps, potatoes,pizza,chips, pasta rice etc when i cut it out the weight comes off. surely this cant be a coincidence?

Don't cut them out. Just make better choices. Stay away from the fast digest carbs and go with slow digest.
    Please stop with the nonsense.

Yup. The real Gale is a CEO of a software solutions company from Kentucky. This member is doing the same thing he's doing with the Steve098 profile, taking someone's profile and trying to pass it off as his own.
    While I wouldn't call em fast digest and slow digest, (it reeks Tim Ferriss) it's not bad advice to choose better carbs, imho.

as for steve, where's he been lately?
  • paulawatkins1974
    Options

Wow, How do you find this stuff out? And could it not be him?

• paulawatkins1974
    Options

Yup. The real Gale is a CEO of a software solutions company from Kentucky. This member is doing the same thing he's doing with the Steve098 profile, taking someone's profile and trying to pass it off as his own.
    While I wouldn't call em fast digest and slow digest, it's not bad advice, imho.

Ok what a weird thing to do

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

While I wouldn't call em fast digest and slow digest, it's not bad advice, imho.

To suggest that someone eat more whole grains or carbs that pack a little more nutrition, I would understand. But to simply say stay away from high GI and go low GI when we know that the GI scalet is based on the sole digestion of that single carb by itself. Once we add a fat or protein then things change. But I'm not surprised advice like that comes from someone with the word trainer in their name.

As for Steve, that account still tries to post but it's still invisible. No one but him can see his posts. Gale was invisible for a couple weeks but the lifted that ban, and here he is, again, pretending to be someone he's not.

Yeah, I edited. It reeked of Tim Ferriss.

ah, poor invisible steve!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

What was weird?

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

While I wouldn't call em fast digest and slow digest, (it reeks Tim Ferriss) it's not bad advice to choose better carbs, imho.

I can't see his posts anymore. I don't know if he was banned or what. I had him on ignore before - not because I thought there was anything wrong with him, but his posts were long to scroll past and all of it always said the same thing ("breakfast bad"), so I nixed his posts. Maybe that's why I can't see them now? I dunno.

I see his name from time to time, but not the posts.
  • paulawatkins1974
    Options

What was weird?

Use fake profiles, of real people. And give advice etc that sounds somewhat reasonable. Usually the trolls I see come up with far out things.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

What was weird?

Use fake profiles, of real people. And give advice etc that sounds somewhat reasonable. Usually the trolls I see come up with far out things.
    Ah, okay. I thought you were referring to me.
  • paulawatkins1974
    Options

What was weird?

You obviously haven't read many of their posts since you think they are reasonable and not far out.
    That's what I'm saying, they usually ARE far out. This guys seemed legit. Maybe not neccesarily what I'd agree with, but just seemed like a normal guy giving advice in this thread

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

google image is a wonderful thing...
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

How is that allowed?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    As a prediabetic, my fasting glucose and triglyceride measurements were all that was needed to tell me this (in addition to the family members with Type 2 diabetes).

Look at the level of glucose without food 12 hours prior to blood draw. This number should be 60-90. Anything higher while fasting will give you an indication as to how you're digesting and processing your carbs. Hemoglobin A1C is another indicator of diabetes (I forget the normal range for that). Then Triglycerides are another indicator (upper normal should be 150. Anything above that is starting to get high).

Bottom line is that you have a family member with Type 2, therefore, you are more likely to get diabetes. You're doing the right thing by losing weight and trying to stay away from carbs as much as you can. The actual number of grams is less important than the balancing of carbs with your proteins and fats. When I started my dieting seriously to try and stay away from Type 2, I set my calories to 35% carbs, 35% protein, and 30% fat. As it got easier to stay away from carbs over time, I reduced further to 30% carbs, 35% protein, and 35% fats.

so would you recommend starting at 35% carbs 35% protein and 30% fat or increase fat intake? i was reading up on the ketogenic diet which recommends 10% carbs 20% protein and 70% fat? would this be the wrong way of doing it. to be honest i have been low fat until now and moderate protein so the only things changing would be carbs and fat if i was doing the ketogenic diet.

I am not going to recommend anything but 35/35/30 is my ratio also. My calories are 1830 so I eat 160 g carbs. I am T2 diabetic and my doctor has given me a daily maximum of 180 g. so she is fine with the 160. People with metabolic issues don't necessarily have to go extreme low carb but some do better with it than others. I do better with reduced carbs rather than low carb. I am off the medication (less than a year after diagnosis) and all of my labs have come back excellent.

Talk to your doctor or a Registered Dietician to see what is best for you.

This discussion has been closed.