Dating/Relationships

Options
12346»

Replies

• scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I've been single since, well....always. I've never been on a date, I've been kissed exactly once, and the closest thing I've experienced to a relationship was an online friendship that turned into a complete trainwreck. I developed unrequited feelings for him and was toyed with and used for 2 years. I'm also awkward, nearly friendless, socially inept, and I suffer from crippling depression and anxiety. All things considered, I can't help but believe I will never experience real, mutual attraction.

I've learned something from all of that, though. As uncommon as it is for someone my age to be so inexperienced, I'm just not ready yet. I have nothing to offer, but I'm not willing to settle for someone unhealthy for me either. My most important realization? The only person who can fill the emptiness I feel, is me. It sucks, but sometimes the best thing we can do for ourselves, is to focus on ourselves. So, that's my plan. I have no hope for a miracle, but I'm going to keep becoming better. Maybe someday, when I'm finally ready, I'll get lucky.

You sound so much like me, not even slightly exaggerating here. I can relate on literally everything you say there. It's kind of reassuring really that someone else is like this, as awful as I'm sure that sounds, sorry.

No, it doesn't sound awful. The fact that you can relate is actually reassuring to me as well. I very nearly didn't post that comment, but I'm glad I did now.

I hope you both have someone around to bounce this stuff off of. I know how much this *kitten* can hurt to keep it bottle up.

It's difficult because I tell this stuff to people I know and they just come back meaningless words of politeness. It's sort of amusing when people who are in relationships tell you they aren't all that. Thank goodness for the internet.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I've been single since, well....always. I've never been on a date, I've been kissed exactly once, and the closest thing I've experienced to a relationship was an online friendship that turned into a complete trainwreck. I developed unrequited feelings for him and was toyed with and used for 2 years. I'm also awkward, nearly friendless, socially inept, and I suffer from crippling depression and anxiety. All things considered, I can't help but believe I will never experience real, mutual attraction.

I've learned something from all of that, though. As uncommon as it is for someone my age to be so inexperienced, I'm just not ready yet. I have nothing to offer, but I'm not willing to settle for someone unhealthy for me either. My most important realization? The only person who can fill the emptiness I feel, is me. It sucks, but sometimes the best thing we can do for ourselves, is to focus on ourselves. So, that's my plan. I have no hope for a miracle, but I'm going to keep becoming better. Maybe someday, when I'm finally ready, I'll get lucky.

You sound so much like me, not even slightly exaggerating here. I can relate on literally everything you say there. It's kind of reassuring really that someone else is like this, as awful as I'm sure that sounds, sorry.

No, it doesn't sound awful. The fact that you can relate is actually reassuring to me as well. I very nearly didn't post that comment, but I'm glad I did now.

I hope you both have someone around to bounce this stuff off of. I know how much this *kitten* can hurt to keep it bottle up.

It's difficult because I tell this stuff to people I know and they just come back meaningless words of politeness. It's sort of amusing when people who are in relationships tell you they aren't all that. Thank goodness for the internet.

Oh they forgot what being single feels like. That is bs though. Not like my friends.
  • ThatOneNerdyChick
    ThatOneNerdyChick Posts: 24 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    fitbit8 wrote: »
    Nerdy...plenty of time and guys for you to date! Wise to take time to yourself!

Thank you, I appreciate that. :) I think at the end of the day, it's important to be able to be comfortable on your own - otherwise you only end up using others as a means of escape. I think the time to focus on bettering myself will only be beneficial in the long run. At least than, whether or not I find someone, I can still be proud of who I am and what I've accomplished. :)