• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm so in on this.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Healthy eaters are still here - some of them will also be eating breakfast cereals and drinking carbonated drinks.

Think there has been a change in the forums though regarding the tolerance level for dumb clucks who think a certain food item <insert whatever example is flavour of the moment> that has probably been passed as safe for consumption by food standards agencies around the world is now suddenly unhealthy with no mention of context in overall diet and lifestyle.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I agree with OP. I find too many individuals on this site just 'worry' about coming in at their set calories for the day with no regard to what they are consuming - not caring about sodium, sugar, 'bad' fats, chemicals, etc.,
    However, their are some that do...which is highly refreshing and 'gels' with my philosophy - one just has to 'find' them which, I agree, is a little sparse here...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    There are still people who eat very healthy. There are even people who struggle to eat better. By and large. They're content to eat what they want and let others do as they please. They're also better behaved.

Better behaved???
    Better behaved.

That would consist of not asking seemingly-innocent questions in order to get a response so that they can start with the mocking, name-calling, insulting and "I'm so much better and smarter than you are" bull.

Not bullying.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    There are still people who eat very healthy. There are even people who struggle to eat better. By and large, they're content to eat what they want and let others do as they please. They're also better behaved.

LOL at the better behaved comment. I only find it funny because my daughter is actually better behaved when she doesn't eat food that would be considered 'unhealthy' by the clean eating folk.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I've only been back a couple of weeks. When I used to read the forums during my weight loss journey (in maintenance now), there seemed to be many posters discussing healthy eating and exercise, i.e., living a healthy lifestyle. Now it seems that most only care about calorie deficits and think captain crunch and soda is healthy. What happened?

I think there's discussion of nutrition and healthy eating all the time. Most active posters probably even engage in it. The term "clean" eating (which is nonsensical and rude) is dis favored and often there are debates about what healthy eating is, especially when someone proclaims that cutting out some item is necessary or shows a lack of understanding that diet is about context. Eating some bran flakes and no veggies (which probably isn't that uncommon) seems a lot worse to me that sugary cereal as a treat in the midst of a balanced diet.

Also, people have different ideas about nutrition and what works for them which are interesting to discuss but obnoxious when they become "sugar is addictive, no one should eat processed sugar." I have my own personal preferences (including a view that even "bran flakes" have little to really recommend them given the alternatives, so the only reason to eat them or any cereal is if you enjoy them (I don't and find it odd people do, but taste is personal). Thus, I find the scolding by bran flakes aficionados kind of funny.

However, there was just a lengthy discussion of cabbage, people usually get good advice re staples or ideas for meals or eating/cooking veggies, and I bet there could be a good discussion of generally trying to eat more healthy foods or what we consider important nutritionally. There have been lots of ideas exchanged buried in some of the long silly threads. The problem is people always poison the discussion at the beginning by insisting on the dumb term "clean" or "sugar is the devil".
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    CloudyMao wrote: »
    There are still people who eat very healthy. There are even people who struggle to eat better. By and large. They're content to eat what they want and let others do as they please. They're also better behaved.

Better behaved???

I believe they are referring to their point of "content with what they eat and let others do as they please" - that certainly would be better behaved than 'attacking' people for what they eat in particular, which I see happen here often. If that isn't it & what's actually being suggested is that 'people who eat very healthy are better behaved' well, they can stick that.

Typically people are not being attacked for how they choose to eat, what is discussed is attacked is the thought that you have to "eat clean" or whatever nonsense to lose weight. It's also not the person that is attacked it is the idea that is questioned.

Either way they can stick the better behaved comment as this is not kindergarten

Agreed. People are getting stick for talking/asking about different dietary approaches recently keto for example has become popular people were getting bombarded with negativity just for asking about it. I think it's because this forum has seen it all & are just tired with people trying to use excuses or quick fixes, but the curious also seem to get lumped in with this.

I'm a "clean eater" but I just enjoyed a nice 300g down of mint choc chip ice cream, that's what makes balance so wonderful. it's around 80/20 for me. I know for some people they have to be 100% but everyone needs to realise that we are all individuals. Those people who have that "this is the only way" attitude need to take a back seat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    define "healthy"…?

and in….because I was late on the cereal thread…

OP what makes you think your notion of eating is "healthy" over someone else's…?

and are you saying that someone that eats captain crunch and drinks soda does not work out?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Better behaved???
    Better behaved.

That would consist of not asking seemingly-innocent questions in order to get a response so that they can start with the mocking, name-calling, insulting and "I'm so much better and smarter than you are" bull.

Not bullying.

This comment right here and your better behaved comment alone are mocking and an attempt at insulting people that don't agree with you
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I've only been back a couple of weeks. When I used to read the forums during my weight loss journey (in maintenance now), there seemed to be many posters discussing healthy eating and exercise, i.e., living a healthy lifestyle. Now it seems that most only care about calorie deficits and think captain crunch and soda is healthy. What happened?

Within the context of a diet, captain crunch and soda can fit within a healthy diet. Generally it's the ignorant people who do not factor in both context and dosage when determining these sorts of things.

And lol at not eating processed foods, look at the diarys of people promoting thay style of eating, chock full of processed foods. Cognitive dissonance at its finest

^ Yeppers! I love reading comments from people up on their high horse.. bragging about eating "Clean" being all natural, vegan and anti-junk while trying to tell you your lifestyles bad.. then you go to their diary and find a world of hurt in the muesli bars they eat etc.

If you want to eat "Healthy" or what ever you consider "healthy" then go for it. I however will continue to eat my bacon, drink my tequila and top it off with a chocolate sundae even though I'm lactose intolerant and I will still stay with in my goals.

There are "Clean eating" groups on here if you'd like to find people that have similar likes, goals and believes as you. I tend to find joining groups helps with keeping me motivated.

All the best with your journey!

Now I want to try Captain Crunch...

Go with crunch berries its better and bring me some bacon & tequila thanks

I have bacon and tequila!! And cookie crisp..I cant eat that but the rest of my family does.

When I ate cereal, I preferred cheerios or special k with red berries (the berry and yogurt one was really good too).
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    There are still people who eat very healthy. There are even people who struggle to eat better. By and large, they're content to eat what they want and let others do as they please. They're also better behaved.

Start a thread about healthy eating and the MFP bullies will show up to tell you how smart they are, how dumb you are and will name-call and post that they're laughing at you. They'll sling insults back and forth, mock you and laugh with each other. They will begin all of it with seemingly innocent questions, but the questions are really just baiting you. They want an Internet fight.

Start a thread about how much you love pizza and the healthy eating group will not do that. But they're out there.

An internet fight? No! What the so called "bullies" or "mean people" want is the BS about what a healthy diet is, clean eating, eat this or you will never lose weight, sugar is bad, salt is bad, fat is bad, and the rest of the misinformation so many on this site spout, to stop and they argue it so people who lurk and just read the forums can actually learn about foods, diets, healthy eating

science > beliefs.

What is wrong or unhealthy about Pizza? Answer : Nothing!

quit your trolling, quit your baiting, just stop.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    It's about moderation. Personally I prefer to have a treat day when I'll have some chocolate or cake and then eat really healthily the rest of the week, but some people prefer to have say a small chocolate bar every day.

I agree that anything can be part of a healthy diet, but if the majority of your food is coming from junk every day then that's not healthy.

I also found the cereal argument funny. I think we can agree branflakes are healthier with more nutritional value than the other cereal, which I've never seen here in England. I don't eat cereal anyway as I think most cereals have too much sugar in them. However, if you've had a healthy day then I don't see the harm in a small bowl of cereal.

I find there are some people on the forums who seem to like showing off that they eat pizza, sweets, McDonald's, ice-cream etc. Personally if I eat like that too often I feel horrible, but that's me. We're all different....which is another concept some people on MFP can't grasp.

I love when people say "we" as to say the debate is over and everyone that does not agree with the "we" is going against the majority. It is an easy way to create a straw man …

The paragraph bolded is a total contradiction. You say bran flakes is the obvious healthier choice (no explanation why) but then you go on to say its ok to have a small bowl of cereal, by which I assume you mean captain crunch ...
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    So... If I eat Captain Crunch for breakfast and have a diet Coke throughout the day, Have some awesome low calorie tuna sandwich for lunch, and finish off dinner with chicken breast and steamed veggies, I'm not a healthy eater? Says who?

I think context is important here. We're not saying you should go out and eat Captain Crunch all day everyday, for every meal. We're saying that fitting in Captain Crunch (or any other food for that matter) into your day, with moderation, is not unhealthy. It's called a balanced diet. Captain Crunch is not inherently bad for you. Is it lower on the nutritional values than other things? Possibly. But there's nothing wrong with it.

• thecrushinator
    thecrushinator Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You won't find healthy eaters because they got sick of trying to explain that even if you stay under 1200 calories eating nothing but pizza it's still bad for you.
    Most people can't or won't grasp the concept of being nutritionally starved even while getting just enough calories.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Better behaved???

I believe they are referring to their point of "content with what they eat and let others do as they please" - that certainly would be better behaved than 'attacking' people for what they eat in particular, which I see happen here often. If that isn't it & what's actually being suggested is that 'people who eat very healthy are better behaved' well, they can stick that.

Typically people are not being attacked for how they choose to eat, what is discussed is attacked is the thought that you have to "eat clean" or whatever nonsense to lose weight. It's also not the person that is attacked it is the idea that is questioned.

Either way they can stick the better behaved comment as this is not kindergarten

this ..you can eat clean or only eat what caveman eat, just don't tell someone that they
    "have" to eat clean to lose weight = total rubbish
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Better behaved???

Agreed. People are getting stick for talking/asking about different dietary approaches recently keto for example has become popular people were getting bombarded with negativity just for asking about it. I think it's because this forum has seen it all & are just tired with people trying to use excuses or quick fixes, but the curious also seem to get lumped in with this.

I'm a "clean eater" but I just enjoyed a nice 300g down of mint choc chip ice cream, that's what makes balance so wonderful. it's around 80/20 for me. I know for some people they have to be 100% but everyone needs to realise that we are all individuals. Those people who have that "this is the only way" attitude need to take a back seat.

So you aren't really a clean eater. Thus, why use the term when you know it's controversial. I care about healthy eating but would never claim "clean" because it's meaningless and rude and because anyone could reasonably point out that I eat ice cream and processed foods like smoked salmon and cottage cheese and the occasional boneless skinless chicken breast. I think it's weird when people claim not to eat processed when of course they do.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    So... If I eat Captain Crunch for breakfast and have a diet Coke throughout the day, Have some awesome low calorie tuna sandwich for lunch, and finish off dinner with chicken breast and steamed veggies, I'm not a healthy eater? Says who?

I think context is important here. We're not saying you should go out and eat Captain Crunch all day everyday, for every meal. We're saying that fitting in Captain Crunch (or any other food for that matter) into your day, with moderation, is not unhealthy. It's called a balanced diet. Captain Crunch is not inherently bad for you. Is it lower on the nutritional values than other things? Possibly. But there's nothing wrong with it.

Nope you're done for Mrs party animal :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I think it's probably a reaction against the sanctimonious, higher-than-mighty attitude a number of threads imbue because those who believe they are eating healthily seem to consider themselves better than others who they believe aren't. And a lot of the 'healthy eating' can revolve around the latest fads and gimmicks and dietary advice

A number of posters here advise eating what you want within a defecit to meet the ultimate goal of losing weight often believe in the 80:20 rule - because cutting out everything you love can cause you to crash and burn

Yet it's OK and not bullying at all to call them "badly behaved" and "MFP Bullies" whereas those who eat healthily will not do that because clearly their haloes prevent it

There are many ways to be rude - I don't find straight-to-the-point opinions rude but I do find sanctimonious attitudes rude
  • ndj1979
    Options

Better behaved???
    Better behaved.

Not bullying.

get over yourself …

you come into every thread and white knight it about bullying and people not
    "behaving" just because you have some impression that you are being "bullied"…when the majority of the time you are being called out for an inaccurate statement and then you perceive that as "bullying" ..

*eye roll*
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    You won't find healthy eaters because they got sick of trying to explain that even if you stay under 1200 calories eating nothing but pizza it's still bad for you.
    Most people can't or won't grasp the concept of being nutritionally starved even while getting just enough calories.

Who has ever claimed that eating nothing but Pizza is a healthy diet?
This discussion has been closed.