Where have all the healthy eaters gone?

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I've only been back a couple of weeks. When I used to read the forums during my weight loss journey (in maintenance now), there seemed to be many posters discussing healthy eating and exercise, i.e., living a healthy lifestyle. Now it seems that most only care about calorie deficits and think captain crunch and soda is healthy. What happened?

This is a weight loss website buddy - you want health look elsewhere!!!!
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I really like the attitude on these forums, but I could be alone in that.

When I first came here (last February) I did believe that certain foods made you fat, and "natural" foods would make me slim/healthy.and eating unchecked amounts of Natural foods like almonds,nut butters,fruit, real butter, homemade oatmeal cookies (200 cals per cookie I found out),

Which is why I believed that the slim people I know in my life must have crazy metabolisms... how else could they get away with eating junk?

When I found out weight is REALLY a CICO thing I was shocked, and a little (a lot) embarrassed. I think the rudeness on the forums helps shake people up. You can eat chocolate every day, you can stuff yourself on thanksgiving/holidays, and still maintain a slim figure.

However you eat should be sustainable for you. My diet includes alcohol and processed foods, but my friends say I am a very "healthy" eater.

Ditto my "healthy" yoga friends sit with me at lunch devouring a baked potatoe covered with bacon, cheese, butter every imagined thing you can place on a potatoe while I eat a salad. They are all skinny minis and debunk each of my cusades easily with workout eat what you want. I still grumble do my cardio but have to face the fact I have to do weights or hot yoga ugh...... I think I will take weights :) eat what you want then run it off like someone is chasing you....
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    There are still people who eat very healthy. There are even people who struggle to eat better. By and large. They're content to eat what they want and let others do as they please. They're also better behaved.

Better behaved???
    Better behaved.

That would consist of not asking seemingly-innocent questions in order to get a response so that they can start with the mocking, name-calling, insulting and "I'm so much better and smarter than you are" bull.

Not bullying.

get over yourself …

you come into every thread and white knight it about bullying and people not
    "behaving" just because you have some impression that you are being "bullied"…when the majority of the time you are being called out for an inaccurate statement and then you perceive that as "bullying" ..

*eye roll*
    Its not about me. It's done all the time, to many people.

So many people leave here - or won't even post - because of it.

When people stop with the insults, mocking, name-calling and public announcements of they're all laughing at someone, I will cease to say they are bullying others.

I feel like it's only done (for the most part) to people who, when given sound information about how what they're spouting is ill-informed, react in a defensive manner and completely disregard the advice given.
    It shouldn't be done at all. People can disagree. People can refuse bad advice. People can even be dead wrong. That's all okay.

If that group went one week without mocking or personally attacking anyone, I'd be delighted to say, "I'm wrong. There isn't a group of Internet bullies on the forums." Delighted!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    How do I log the 'Hokey Cokey' then?

You must pick the correct one out of the 9,000000000000000000 conflicting entries in the database.

Pick wisely, truth seeker.

Honestly, if this thread is going to devolve into people pointing fingers at each other then I am going to get up here on my high horse...

and observe from a safe distance.

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    Captain Crunch and soda can very well be part of a healthy diet. One can't look at a single food to determine a healthy diet. It's the overall picture. Seems most people can't wrap their minds around that.

This...so much this!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    It's about moderation. Personally I prefer to have a treat day when I'll have some chocolate or cake and then eat really healthily the rest of the week, but some people prefer to have say a small chocolate bar every day.

I agree that anything can be part of a healthy diet, but if the majority of your food is coming from junk every day then that's not healthy.

I also found the cereal argument funny. I think we can agree branflakes are healthier with more nutritional value than the other cereal, which I've never seen here in England. I don't eat cereal anyway as I think most cereals have too much sugar in them. However, if you've had a healthy day then I don't see the harm in a small bowl of cereal.

I find there are some people on the forums who seem to like showing off that they eat pizza, sweets, McDonald's, ice-cream etc. Personally if I eat like that too often I feel horrible, but that's me. We're all different....which is another concept some people on MFP can't grasp.

I love when people say "we" as to say the debate is over and everyone that does not agree with the "we" is going against the majority. It is an easy way to create a straw man …

The paragraph bolded is a total contradiction. You say bran flakes is the obvious healthier choice (no explanation why) but then you go on to say its ok to have a small bowl of cereal, by which I assume you mean captain crunch ...

To me the cereal would be like a sweet treat, no different to having a small choc bar or something. I'm assuming it's quite a sugary cereal? Someone in the other thread posted the nutritional info and the branflakes had more fibre, protein and fewer calories, so that's why I'm saying they'd be a better choice. I thought it would be common knowledge that a cereal like branflakes is better nutritionally than cocoa pops, frosties etc. I find branflakes quite sweet too though and I'd have something like that if I wanted something sweet.

As I said it's about moderation so I don't see the harm in having a small bowl of cereal if you're within calories, but it's not something I'd choose to do if I'd had say pizza for dinner. However, each to their own, and what works for one person will not necessarily work for another.

you have to stop looking at food vs food - you need to look at overall diet.

You don't get bonus points or extra healthy from eating more protein, fibre, etc. than what you actually need.

• tennisdude2004
    Options
    define "healthy"…?

and in….because I was late on the cereal thread…

OP what makes you think your notion of eating is "healthy" over someone else's…?

and are you saying that someone that eats captain crunch and drinks soda does not work out?

What does working out have to do with anything, some of the most fittest athlete in the world are also some of the most unhealthiest individuals.

Weight loss, health and fitness are three completely different things! the only thing its safe to have most of is health - IMHO that is. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    It's about moderation. Personally I prefer to have a treat day when I'll have some chocolate or cake and then eat really healthily the rest of the week, but some people prefer to have say a small chocolate bar every day.

I agree that anything can be part of a healthy diet, but if the majority of your food is coming from junk every day then that's not healthy.

I also found the cereal argument funny. I think we can agree branflakes are healthier with more nutritional value than the other cereal, which I've never seen here in England. I don't eat cereal anyway as I think most cereals have too much sugar in them. However, if you've had a healthy day then I don't see the harm in a small bowl of cereal.

I find there are some people on the forums who seem to like showing off that they eat pizza, sweets, McDonald's, ice-cream etc. Personally if I eat like that too often I feel horrible, but that's me. We're all different....which is another concept some people on MFP can't grasp.

I love when people say "we" as to say the debate is over and everyone that does not agree with the "we" is going against the majority. It is an easy way to create a straw man …

The paragraph bolded is a total contradiction. You say bran flakes is the obvious healthier choice (no explanation why) but then you go on to say its ok to have a small bowl of cereal, by which I assume you mean captain crunch ...

To me the cereal would be like a sweet treat, no different to having a small choc bar or something. I'm assuming it's quite a sugary cereal? Someone in the other thread posted the nutritional info and the branflakes had more fibre, protein and fewer calories, so that's why I'm saying they'd be a better choice. I thought it would be common knowledge that a cereal like branflakes is better nutritionally than cocoa pops, frosties etc. I find branflakes quite sweet too though and I'd have something like that if I wanted something sweet.

As I said it's about moderation so I don't see the harm in having a small bowl of cereal if you're within calories, but it's not something I'd choose to do if I'd had say pizza for dinner. However, each to their own, and what works for one person will not necessarily work for another.

bran flakes had NINE fewer calories and about six less grams of sugar. ..huge difference…

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    define "healthy"…?

and in….because I was late on the cereal thread…

OP what makes you think your notion of eating is "healthy" over someone else's…?

and are you saying that someone that eats captain crunch and drinks soda does not work out?

OP did not say anything of the kind and you don't know what she thinks. She also did not mention captain crunch or soda specifically.

really? go back to page 1 and re-read it…or since you obviously did not read OP's original post here is the sentence:

"Now it seems that most only care about calorie deficits and think captain crunch and soda is healthy."
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    This thread does leave me with a burning question (that I could google, but heck I'm lazy)

What on earth is Captain Crunch? And are Sugar Puffs better or worse?
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    This thread does leave me with a burning question (that I could google, but heck I'm lazy)

A delicious breakfast cereal.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

What on earth is Captain Crunch?

It's a type of cereal. No idea what it's like though, I've never seen it in England. I think it's a sugary cereal aimed at kids.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The healthy eaters are still here, and most still eat healthy, it's just that the focus has shifted from discussing nutrient-rich foods to discussing the ability to eat some of the less nutrient-rich ones in moderation.

If you take a look at the diaries of some of the people who speak captain crunch and soda, you will see some captain crunch and soda + a variety of meats, vegetables, fruits and nuts.

Edit: Another point to note is that now the dieting calories are generally higher than than they used to be a few years back, so the higher calorie less nutrient rich foods that didn't fit back then now do, alongside with everything a "clean eater" considers "clean".
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Its the devils cereal of choice!

Oh and sugar puffs are better than coco pops!

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    There are still people who eat very healthy. There are even people who struggle to eat better. By and large. They're content to eat what they want and let others do as they please. They're also better behaved.

Better behaved???
    Better behaved.

That would consist of not asking seemingly-innocent questions in order to get a response so that they can start with the mocking, name-calling, insulting and "I'm so much better and smarter than you are" bull.

Not bullying.

get over yourself …

"behaving" just because you have some impression that you are being "bullied"…when the majority of the time you are being called out for an inaccurate statement and then you perceive that as "bullying" ..

*eye roll*

When people stop with the insults, mocking, name-calling and public announcements of they're all laughing at someone, I will cease to say they are bullying others.

I feel like it's only done (for the most part) to people who, when given sound information about how what they're spouting is ill-informed, react in a defensive manner and completely disregard the advice given.
    It shouldn't be done at all. People can disagree. People can refuse bad advice. People can even be dead wrong. That's all okay.

If that group went one week without mocking or personally attacking anyone, I'd be delighted to say, "I'm wrong. There isn't a group of Internet bullies on the forums." Delighted!

And if you went one week without derailing every clean eating, LCHF, paleo, etc with a divisive warning to the OP that "The bullies are coming! They're going to mock you!" before anyone has said anything even remotely controversial, the rest of the community would be delighted. Probably the mods, too.

• msf74
    Options
    The healthy eaters are still here, and most still eat healthy, it's just that the focus has shifted from discussing nutrient-rich foods to discussing the ability to eat some of the less nutrient-rich ones in moderation.

If you take a look at the diaries of some of the people who speak captain crunch and soda, you will see some captain crunch and soda + a variety of meats, vegetables, fruits and nuts.

Well, yeah. Most people are probably doing exactly the same thing in reality but the focus of the discussion has shifted over time.

The people on the extremes still remain in the minority from what I can gather.

Finally, I want to know who would win in a fight: Capn Crunch or the Honey Monster.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Not to mention but Cap'n Crunch will rip the roof of your mouth to shreds :)
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

What on earth is Captain Crunch?

It's a type of cereal. No idea what it's like though, I've never seen it in England. I think it's a sugary cereal aimed at kids.

It's a sweet cereal that some people find to be delicious. Beware: it scratches the roof of your mouth if you don't let it sit in milk long enough (but not too long).
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

Better behaved???
    Better behaved.

Not bullying.

get over yourself …

*eye roll*

And if you went one week without derailing every clean eating, LCHF, paleo, etc with a divisive warning to the OP that "The bullies are coming! They're going to mock you!" before anyone has said anything even remotely controversial, the rest of the community would be delighted. Probably the mods, too.

Yes, but they are the only posts which can boost 100% accurate information. :)

• msf74
    Options

Oh and sugar puffs are better than coco pops!

Lies.
This discussion has been closed.