Where have all the healthy eaters gone?

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    There are still people who eat very healthy. There are even people who struggle to eat better. By and large. They're content to eat what they want and let others do as they please. They're also better behaved.

Better behaved???
    Better behaved.

That would consist of not asking seemingly-innocent questions in order to get a response so that they can start with the mocking, name-calling, insulting and "I'm so much better and smarter than you are" bull.

Not bullying.

This comment right here and your better behaved comment alone are mocking and an attempt at insulting people that don't agree with you
    Sometimes the bullies do agree with me. They'll mock the side with whom I don't agree. But they are always mocking, insulting and publicly announcing that they're laughing at someone.

So many people leave - or won't even post - here because of it.

And that group always shows up to mock people who eat (or are trying to eat) healthy.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    There are still people who eat very healthy. There are even people who struggle to eat better. By and large. They're content to eat what they want and let others do as they please. They're also better behaved.

Better behaved???
    Better behaved.

That would consist of not asking seemingly-innocent questions in order to get a response so that they can start with the mocking, name-calling, insulting and "I'm so much better and smarter than you are" bull.

Not bullying.

This comment right here and your better behaved comment alone are mocking and an attempt at insulting people that don't agree with you
    Sometimes the bullies do agree with me. They'll mock the side with whom I don't agree. But they are always mocking, insulting and publicly announcing that they're laughing at someone.

And that group always shows up to mock people who eat (or are trying to eat) healthy.

Reading a post online as mean, insulting, mocking doesn't mean it was typed to be that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You won't find healthy eaters because they got sick of trying to explain that even if you stay under 1200 calories eating nothing but pizza it's still bad for you.
    Most people can't or won't grasp the concept of being nutritionally starved even while getting just enough calories.

Who on the board recommends 1200 calories of pizza? That's what I've never seen. I've also never seen anyone saying nutrition doesn't matter. I have seen lots of people pointing out that 1200 is often too low or unnecessary and that a cookie doesn't cancel out the benefits of the broccoli you eat.

Also probably seen more "clean" eaters struggling to eat veggies or just ignoring them than the people who focus on a healthy balanced diet and seem to understand nutrition. If you eat a healthy balanced diet and reasonable calories, by definition most people won't eat lots of "junk" because it only fits in moderate amounts and most aren't so dumb they need a special eating plan to get what a balanced diet is.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Better behaved???
    Better behaved.

Not bullying.

I think you are a bit paranoid. First most don't care enough about you to bother with you.

Show me threads were they said or mocked someone for eating healthy??? Or more likely it was hey I've yo yo dieted all my life so this time I'm going to try it again, I'm giving up sugar, wheat, salt, and everything else that might bring some joy to their food.. and people explain it's not necessary. Keep it in context just like 1 food item to an overall diet. Stop trying to play a victim
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Better behaved???
    Better behaved.

Not bullying.

no one has mocked anyone's eating style that is complete BS …

the problem comes in when people say "You have to eat clean to lose weight" ….

the only mocking I see is the clean eating crew when they say "its not healthy to eat pizza and ice cream all day" Just once I would like to find the person that is advocating a diet of 100% pizza and ice cream….so are those people bullies too????

seriously, get over yourself …its getting tiresome….

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I believe in balance and looking at the whole picture. If you check out my diary, you will see that most of it consists of nutrient dense food to help me achieve my goals, but in order to fill my caloric requirements at the end of the day I usually finish off with a delicious bowl of ice cream or cereal I enjoy. Some days I eat fried calamari, fast food, lots of wine. Does this make me "unhealthy" ?
    Does that mean people can't achieve their goals without burgers and ice cream, of course, but it is important to know that that you don't have to give up the foods you love to reach those goals and stick with them for the rest of your life.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    There are still people who eat very healthy. There are even people who struggle to eat better. By and large, they're content to eat what they want and let others do as they please. They're also better behaved.

Start a thread about healthy eating and the MFP bullies will show up to tell you how smart they are, how dumb you are and will name-call and post that they're laughing at you. They'll sling insults back and forth, mock you and laugh with each other. They will begin all of it with seemingly innocent questions, but the questions are really just baiting you. They want an Internet fight.

Start a thread about how much you love pizza and the healthy eating group will not do that. But they're out there.
    The word "bullies" is used way to much here. No one is bullying anyone here. The term is pretty strong as well and should not be used in reference to people having a discussion or tend to disagree with each other. Or just because someone wants to give another person advice or tell them they are wrong, means "bullies". NO!!!!

Also I find it funny that you say the "meanies" will name call when in all actuality that rarely happens. The people who do the most name calling around here are those who like to call us "meanies" ( not saying you).

Better behaved??! Now that is just hilarious.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    You won't find healthy eaters because they got sick of trying to explain that even if you stay under 1200 calories eating nothing but pizza it's still bad for you.
    Most people can't or won't grasp the concept of being nutritionally starved even while getting just enough calories.

Where on Earth did you get that idea? Stop building straw men because that is definitely NOT what anyone on the cereal thread ever said, and I've never seen anyone, other than those who distort other's posts, say this. Everyone I've seen talks about it in terms of an overall healthy diet that meets your daily requirements THEN you can have foods that might not be so nutritious but are fine in moderation.
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm certain I'd lose weight limited to Cap'n Crunch and Soda.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    I would love to see the threads were people were told to eat nothing but pizza & ice cream all day every day. I'll wait for examples
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Better behaved???
    Better behaved.

Not bullying.

get over yourself …

you come into every thread and white knight it about bullying and people not
    "behaving" just because you have some impression that you are being "bullied"…when the majority of the time you are being called out for an inaccurate statement and then you perceive that as "bullying" ..

*eye roll*
    Its not about me. It's done all the time, to many people.

So many people leave here - or won't even post - because of it.

When people stop with the insults, mocking, name-calling and public announcements of they're all laughing at someone, I will cease to say they are bullying others.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    CloudyMao wrote: »

Better behaved???

I believe they are referring to their point of "content with what they eat and let others do as they please" - that certainly would be better behaved than 'attacking' people for what they eat in particular, which I see happen here often. If that isn't it & what's actually being suggested is that 'people who eat very healthy are better behaved' well, they can stick that.

Typically people are not being attacked for how they choose to eat, what is discussed is attacked is the thought that you have to "eat clean" or whatever nonsense to lose weight. It's also not the person that is attacked it is the idea that is questioned.

Either way they can stick the better behaved comment as this is not kindergarten

Agreed. People are getting stick for talking/asking about different dietary approaches recently keto for example has become popular people were getting bombarded with negativity just for asking about it. I think it's because this forum has seen it all & are just tired with people trying to use excuses or quick fixes, but the curious also seem to get lumped in with this.

I'm a "clean eater" but I just enjoyed a nice 300g down of mint choc chip ice cream, that's what makes balance so wonderful. it's around 80/20 for me. I know for some people they have to be 100% but everyone needs to realise that we are all individuals. Those people who have that "this is the only way" attitude need to take a back seat.

So you aren't really a clean eater. Thus, why use the term when you know it's controversial. I care about healthy eating but would never claim "clean" because it's meaningless and rude and because anyone could reasonably point out that I eat ice cream and processed foods like smoked salmon and cottage cheese and the occasional boneless skinless chicken breast. I think it's weird when people claim not to eat processed when of course they do.

That's why I used quote marks when stating "clean" I am to build the majority of my diet from unprocessed (disregarding cooking, cutting & cleaning) sources. I didn't claim I ate no processed foods, I did the opposite. I was using it to point out that some things work for some (like 100% clean) but not others, and using my own experience with sustainability to drive the point.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Start a thread about how much you love pizza and the healthy eating group will not do that. But they're out there.

Looks like no one needed to start that thread and yet, here you are.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I really like the attitude on these forums, but I could be alone in that.

When I first came here (last February) I did believe that certain foods made you fat, and "natural" foods would make me slim/healthy.and eating unchecked amounts of Natural foods like almonds,nut butters,fruit, real butter, homemade oatmeal cookies (200 cals per cookie I found out),

Which is why I believed that the slim people I know in my life must have crazy metabolisms... how else could they get away with eating junk?

When I found out weight is REALLY a CICO thing I was shocked, and a little (a lot) embarrassed. I think the rudeness on the forums helps shake people up. You can eat chocolate every day, you can stuff yourself on thanksgiving/holidays, and still maintain a slim figure.

However you eat should be sustainable for you. My diet includes alcohol and processed foods, but my friends say I am a very "healthy" eater.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Define what you think healthy eating is????

*pass the captain crunch to me! I'll be glad to eat it!
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I would love to see the threads were people were told to eat nothing but pizza & ice cream all day every day. I'll wait for examples

in for examples, gotta see this.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I've had nothing but pizza the past 3 days in a row. Oh and cake. Not good, cause I didn't have my veggies...meh I love pizza
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Better behaved???
    Better behaved.

Not bullying.

get over yourself …

you come into every thread and white knight it about bullying and people not
    "behaving" just because you have some impression that you are being "bullied"…when the majority of the time you are being called out for an inaccurate statement and then you perceive that as "bullying" ..

*eye roll*
    Its not about me. It's done all the time, to many people.

So many people leave here - or won't even post - because of it.

When people stop with the insults, mocking, name-calling and public announcements of they're all laughing at someone, I will cease to say they are bullying others.

You keep trying to make it about you. how do you know people leave here, or don't post because of the so-called insults, mocking, name-calling, etc.

Again just because one reads it that way =/= written that way
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Better behaved???

I believe they are referring to their point of "content with what they eat and let others do as they please" - that certainly would be better behaved than 'attacking' people for what they eat in particular, which I see happen here often. If that isn't it & what's actually being suggested is that 'people who eat very healthy are better behaved' well, they can stick that.

Typically people are not being attacked for how they choose to eat, what is discussed is attacked is the thought that you have to "eat clean" or whatever nonsense to lose weight. It's also not the person that is attacked it is the idea that is questioned.

Either way they can stick the better behaved comment as this is not kindergarten

Agreed. People are getting stick for talking/asking about different dietary approaches recently keto for example has become popular people were getting bombarded with negativity just for asking about it. I think it's because this forum has seen it all & are just tired with people trying to use excuses or quick fixes, but the curious also seem to get lumped in with this.

I'm a "clean eater" but I just enjoyed a nice 300g down of mint choc chip ice cream, that's what makes balance so wonderful. it's around 80/20 for me. I know for some people they have to be 100% but everyone needs to realise that we are all individuals. Those people who have that "this is the only way" attitude need to take a back seat.

So you aren't really a clean eater. Thus, why use the term when you know it's controversial. I care about healthy eating but would never claim "clean" because it's meaningless and rude and because anyone could reasonably point out that I eat ice cream and processed foods like smoked salmon and cottage cheese and the occasional boneless skinless chicken breast. I think it's weird when people claim not to eat processed when of course they do.

That's why I used quote marks when stating "clean" I am to build the majority of my diet from unprocessed (disregarding cooking, cutting & cleaning) sources. I didn't claim I ate no processed foods, I did the opposite. I was using it to point out that some things work for some (like 100% clean) but not others, and using my own experience with sustainability to drive the point.

Right, and I pretty much agree with that, but I'm asking why then identify with or invoke the term clean. In the context of the MFP arguments you aren't a clean eater based on what you said unless you just like the label. An argument about labels is not disagreement with healthy eating, as some like to proclaim. Most who say clean eating isn't meaningful or necessary probably eat like you. So again, why assert that you are clean? I simply don't get it. Based on the same criteria I know I'm not.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    I've had nothing but pizza the past 3 days in a row. Oh and cake. Not good, cause I didn't have my veggies...meh I love pizza

Past few weeks I've been living on protein shakes & ice cream... would I recommend it to anyone no, but that's what I can eat at the moment. Oh and still losing weight but damn I can't wait to have a steak dinner!!
This discussion has been closed.