I am eating almost 1000 calories a day but i am worried that its not enough....

Options

Replies

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    auntrhon66 wrote: »
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    dj0jazzy wrote: »
    I eat about the same amount every day so understand exactly where your coming from. Its not like I don't eat its just that I try to limit my calorie intake. I feel like I eat a lot of food but still stick around 1000 calories. I don't understand why you need that many calories if you are fueling your body throughout the day with healthy foods.
    I have no problem with this. If you eat 1,000 calories today and it is the RIGHT foods, then it can be healthy. Pasta and sugar has very little nutritional value. An egg or an apple or a chicken breast has a lot of nutritional value. If your 1,000 calories fill your protein needs and get you the vitamins and minerals your body needs, and the fats you NEED to function, it is healthy.

Most people eat a lot of crap so they NEED to eat more calories to fill their needs.

this is so not true....please, no more..
    It is true. Your body has certain nutritional needs...especially protein. If you routinely eat sugar and starchy foods that don't add much protein and vitamins, then you will have to eat more calories to fill your basic needs than somebody who cuts that stuff out. That is common sense.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I think 1000 calories is indeed not enough
    1200 is a minimum

I also started 11 weeks ago at 1200 calories ( and hardly any exercise just some minutes).
    I worked my training up to 1,5 hour now and from walking a 0.2 mile to 3.1 mile a day. And i do some very light strength training.

At first those 1200 calories were enough But i did it slowly up because my training went up
    At this point 1350 calories and next week i do it up again with 50 calories.
    I eat 6 times a day ( 3 meals and 3 snacks) Not hungry and no gravings at all.

I can eat everything but eat no added sugar or salt.
    fish/meat/fruit/veggies/herbs/nuts/ and grain and diary products in moderation.
    alcohol is rare
    And everything that i eat has to fit in my calorie allowance of that day.
    I weigh everything and mostly my day ahead.

Benefits and little victories till now.
    ** my BP became normal again in these 11 weeks ( from 152/112 to 123/73)
    ** my too high sugar level is normal again
    **my heart racing is gone
    **my out of breath after a 3 minutes walk is gone.
    **my injured left leg doesn't hold liquid anymore. Also dont swell up at the end of the day.
    **i am getting stronger by the day at this point. And feel happy and fit ( aldo long way to go before really fit of course)
    **i lost 51 pound

So yes it can be done and you have to listen to your body.
    Starting with a 1200 minimum and when hungry do it up bit by bit. I did and i still lose weight. Like i said next week i do it up again because i love to train and will do more and more each week so my body needs more and more. The changes are easy to make.
    Instead of using a tablespoon of butter use olive oil to do your fish meat and hoppa you have more calories :)
    instead of eating 28 almonds ( 160 calories) eat 56 of them and you have a whopping 320 calories. It isnt that hard, especially when you do the counting and planning here on the MFP diary. You get used to it and just some clever and healthy changes makes your calories go up.

but for certain you have to have a minimum of 1200 to start with.
    I did this before in 1995 ( also under supervision of the familie doctor) and lost 60 pounds. And kept it off till 2010. Had an accident and because of my suddenly sedentary life ( holding my leg up for months and months) gained some weight.
    Now working it off plus some more :)

So be wise And take the advice all over the internet minimum for just living is 1200 and add more if you exercise. You still lose it fast enough. Besides that you learn how to eat properly and maintain your weight after you stop trying to lose it.

You can add me if you want, so you can few my diary.

• ptargino
    ptargino Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ive been eatting anywhere from 1200-1400 calories a day depending on my level of activity (and if it is a cheat day or not).

A lot of people have told me that it is too few calories for a guy who is 6'4. However, I have been successful and have lost 130lbs so far.

The big thing is that not everyone is the same. Different people have different reactions to how their body will respond. This was the only time in my life that I have actually lost weight. I have always been a big man, ever since I was in 2nd grade and suddenly became bigger than all the kids around me.

I'm exactly the same!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I eat about the same amount every day so understand exactly where your coming from. Its not like I don't eat its just that I try to limit my calorie intake. I feel like I eat a lot of food but still stick around 1000 calories. I don't understand why you need that many calories if you are fueling your body throughout the day with healthy foods.
    I have no problem with this. If you eat 1,000 calories today and it is the RIGHT foods, then it can be healthy. Pasta and sugar has very little nutritional value. An egg or an apple or a chicken breast has a lot of nutritional value. If your 1,000 calories fill your protein needs and get you the vitamins and minerals your body needs, and the fats you NEED to function, it is healthy.

Most people eat a lot of crap so they NEED to eat more calories to fill their needs.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but can you (or anyone, not trying to single you out or anything) please provide some research?

I've been trying to figure out the same thing as the OP, and so far I have been unable to find any studies or scholarly research that links a low calorie intake that contains adequate micronutrients and protein with any adverse effects for healthy adults that are not underweight.

I'm not asserting that it is definitely safe; I don't know for a fact that it is. I just have honestly searched for any evidence that it is harmful for non-overweight people who are meeting their RDAs for micronutrients, and have yet to find any salient studies. If there is a good reason for me to eat more food than I actually want, I want to know it.

I do understand that adaptive thermogenesis can temporarily slow the metabolism slightly, but that in and of itself is not unhealthy; it just means if you go back to a higher calorie diet, you will gain more weight than if you had lost it more slowly. If it's truly a lifestyle choice, then that won't be a factor.

My understanding is that, as fat stores are literally a reserve of energy, as long as a person's fat stores are adequate normal energy needs can be met, and the reason for the 1200 calorie recommendation is that it is difficult (but possible - I do it) to meet your nutrient needs with less food than that. Am I mistaken? Again, if you could link to a study or journal paper, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks

PS I know I sound like a dick sometimes. I am not trying to be a know it all, I'm just trying to be really precise so that people understand what I mean and I don't have to clarify later. Also, I have no social skills :(
  • MoiAussi93
    Options

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but can you (or anyone, not trying to single you out or anything) please provide some research?

I've been trying to figure out the same thing as the OP, and so far I have been unable to find any studies or scholarly research that links a low calorie intake that contains adequate micronutrients and protein with any adverse effects for healthy adults that are not underweight.

I'm not asserting that it is definitely safe; I don't know for a fact that it is. I just have honestly searched for any evidence that it is harmful for non-overweight people who are meeting their RDAs for micronutrients, and have yet to find any salient studies. If there is a good reason for me to eat more food than I actually want, I want to know it.

I do understand that adaptive thermogenesis can temporarily slow the metabolism slightly, but that in and of itself is not unhealthy; it just means if you go back to a higher calorie diet, you will gain more weight than if you had lost it more slowly. If it's truly a lifestyle choice, then that won't be a factor.

My understanding is that, as fat stores are literally a reserve of energy, as long as a person's fat stores are adequate normal energy needs can be met, and the reason for the 1200 calorie recommendation is that it is difficult (but possible - I do it) to meet your nutrient needs with less food than that. Am I mistaken? Again, if you could link to a study or journal paper, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks

PS I know I sound like a dick sometimes. I am not trying to be a know it all, I'm just trying to be really precise so that people understand what I mean and I don't have to clarify later. Also, I have no social skills :(

I haven't cut anything out of my "diet". I still eat what I did but I eat at a deficit and I've lost 5 pounds in a little over 3 weeks...so what MoiAussie93 says IS NOT TRUE. I have NO health issues so I don't have to cut anything out.

Everything I said is true. What exactly are you claiming is not true? You are not addressing the question that you were asked...most likely because you can't back up what you say.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Thanks

I haven't cut anything out of my "diet". I still eat what I did but I eat at a deficit and I've lost 5 pounds in a little over 3 weeks...so what MoiAussie93 says IS NOT TRUE. I have NO health issues so I don't have to cut anything out.

Oh, I thought you were referring to the part about it not being necessarily unhealthy to have low calories if your micronutrient and protein needs are met. I agree with what you said, it's not necessary to avoid certain foods to lose weight. It's just one possible path to caloric deficit, and it doesn't work for everyone.

(BTW, I still would love any links from anybody about calorie requirement independent of bodyweight and nutrient intake. I am feeling really good with the changes I've made, but I would hate to do do any harm to my body.)

Edited to add: I increased my fruits and veggies on my immunologist's orders, and just don't feel like eating as much other stuff. The low calorie intake is a side effect, not my goal.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    1,200 is a good minimum for most women. In fact, at your height, age, and weight, your minimum probably should be even higher than that.

The truth is that you can lose weight eating a lot more. (e.g., I'm losing 1.9 lbs/week on 1800-2200 kcals/day). The more you can eat and still lose the better! That means you are getting more protein and more nutrients, so you will be healthier and keep more muscle mass. You also have room to reduce later if your weight loss stalls.

Your body kind of adjusts to what you are eating, so I think you'll find if you eat more your body will be OK with it. Focus on including some of the food groups you seem to have cut out, like healthy fats (e.g., olive oil, nuts) and whole grains.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Thanks

Everything I said is true. What exactly are you claiming is not true? You are not addressing the question that you were asked...most likely because you can't back up what you say.

The disconnect here is that it's an EXCESS of the problematic substances that's harmful. Eating them on occasion when you eat an otherwise "healthy" diet isn't going to do you lasting harm.

• MoiAussi93
    Options

Thanks

The disconnect here is that it's an EXCESS of the problematic substances that's harmful. Eating them on occasion when you eat an otherwise "healthy" diet isn't going to do you lasting harm.
    Occasion is the important word. Unhealthy foods on occasion are fine and enjoyable and keep us from feeling deprived if they are things we like. But making them an everyday thing is not healthy.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    ptargino wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    That is really unhealthy. If you are not doing this under doctor supervision... even worse. You should be eating probably twice that amount, if not more.

Well, these values fluctuate. I never stay below 1200, but I hardly go over 1400. I did see an endocrinologist prior to starting my diet (In fact, she prescribed me appetite suppressors), and I do follow ups every month. I know a lot of people are going against of what I'm doing, but since for the first time in my life I'm getting actual results, I'll keep doing it. I'm over 50% of my goal and when I get there, I'll slowly up my food intake to prevent any slingshot effects.

And I'm in fact gaining lean body mass, not losing. My legs are fitter/stronger than ever with all the biking :wink:

I appreciate all the concern, but I'm feeling better than ever! :)

No, you are not gaining muscle at that large a deficit. You may be feeling fine now, but soon you'll probably have no energy because of how little you're eating, not to mention any other health problems that can come from not getting enough nutrients.
  • ptargino
    ptargino Posts: 50 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    No, you are not gaining muscle at that large a deficit. You may be feeling fine now, but soon you'll probably have no energy because of how little you're eating, not to mention any other health problems that can come from not getting enough nutrients.

Please, don't make assumptions about how I am without even meeting me and assume you know my own body better than myself. Every person is unique in every way possible, be it their needs or how they approach a weight loss diet. Just because something doesn't work for you, it doens't means it won't work for anybody else.

I am indeed gaining lean mass (as much as one can do with aerobic exercises and no weight lifting), I'm eating a lot of protein during the week and I'm not starving myself to death. As I say, I see my doctor every single month to do checkups on my diet.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

Please, don't make assumptions about how I am without even meeting me and assume you know my own body better than myself. Every person is unique in every way possible, be it their needs or how they approach a weight loss diet. Just because something doesn't work for you, it doens't means it won't work for anybody else.

I am indeed gaining lean mass (as much as one can do with aerobic exercises and no weight lifting), I'm eating a lot of protein during the week and I'm not starving myself to death. As I say, I see my doctor every single month to do checkups on my diet.

Indeed!

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Arrigo99 wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    if im not hungry im not going to eat plain and simple.

You can consume more calories without consuming more food. Choose foods with more caloric density.

what foods do you recommend then ?? I like about everything :)

Nuts
    Seeds
    Nut butters
    Cheese
    Avocados
    Protein bars
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

I hate to burst your bubble but you're a 24 year old man who is 6'3" and 220-something pounds. You are eating the amount of calories that a 5'3" WOMAN eats. Eating 1200-1400 calories is not sustainable for you. Sure, a couple months of it won't hurt but pretty soon you will likely start to feel fatigued, weak, and dizzy.

BTW, I can assure you you are not gaining muscle eating 1200-1400 calories.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    what do you eat ?? I changed my calorie goal to 1200 calories per day but now i have to add in other things to get there!

You can take a look at what I eat here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/ptargino

But I mostly eat fruits, salad, whole grain rice/bread, chicken breast, non fat milk, cereal bars, etc. I usually eat 300-350 kcal per meal, plus 100 kcal per snack, every 3 hours. Been doing it for 2 months now and It's working great so far :)

You're netting under 700 calories most days .. far too little for a short, small framed, inactive old woman. If you choose not to give yourself the nutrition it needs, that is your choice. Recommending your unhealthy actions to others is dangerous and deserves to get called out. There is still a chance that you'll learn what is healthy and then compare it to your current path.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    [/b]

You are absolutely not gaining muscles netting 500- 700 calories a day ...you may gain a little strength and drop body fat in the short term but you are absolutely not gaining any muscle ...because it doesn't work that way ...not even for special you

I would be looking for another doctor if I were you

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    [/b]

You are absolutely not gaining muscles netting 500- 700 calories a day ...you may gain a little strength and drop body fat in the short term but you are absolutely not gaining any muscle ...because it doesn't work that way ...not even for special you

I would be looking for another doctor if I were you
    Maybe he is so special that the laws of physics don't apply to him. Uh ... wait ... no he isn't. Self delusion is one thing, his trying to spread it to others is intolerable.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Based on your weight loss, you are also losing at a VERY rapid rate. Depending on how much to have to lose, you may be really harming your body. Remember that your heart is a muscle and when you under eat for survival, then you are damaging (losing) your muscles, including your heart.

If you could give us your stats, height, weight, age, we could better direct you on what would actually be a healthy lifestyle versus what might be a very disordered eating lifestyle. A few of us have gone through this ourselves and so we would rather not see someone destroying their health.

I started out at 211.8 , 5'7, 21 years old, i am now 194.6lbs.
    I'm the same height as you are, 1000 cals is not enough and you're losing weight way too quickly. Even 1200 isn't enough at that height.

I discovered I was losing muscle mass in my biceps so I doubled up on protein.

You're under eating big time. You should have a min of 1300 - 1400 at least. I eat between 1600 - 1800 and still lose weight.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have lost 17 pounds this month with my new diet and exercise regime.... but i am concerned that my weight loss is going to stall only consuming to few calories. Does anyone have any success stories that will motivate me to keep on keepin on with my progress ? :) And i must add that i dont feel tired, or crabby, or sick so therefore i think im not going into starvation mode but how does one know ?

My average intake has been 1833 for the last 90 days. I've also been losing at roughly 1.5lbs per week for that same time period. My highest weight as an adult was 260lbs. I weighed in today at 159.8lbs.

Please eat more. 1000 calories isn't good. You risk malnutrition which can really destroy your insides.

As for what to eat. Anything. I eat chocolate. Sometimes I eat fast food. I use oil when I cook. I snack on nuts and cheese. I eat pizza. The only limit on what I can eat is if I can fit it into my calories. Eventually I want to try working on balancing macros, but I'm still in the learning stages of that.

edit: Oh, I use a food scale when I eat at home. This is helps me to be more accurate with my food logs. I discovered measuring cups can be off quite a bit. For example 1 cup measuring cup of oatmeal weighs about 93g. It should weigh 80g. That's about a 48 calorie difference.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

How is your doctor approving this?

You aren't lifting or eating in a calorie surplus, so you're definitely not gaining muscle. Your muscle is becoming more defined as you lose fat.