Women Questions- I need insight.

Options
Hi! A few personal questions-
1. What happens to your weight during your period?
2. When is ovulation?
3. Do you gain weight during ovulation?

Replies

• Debssssssssss
    Debssssssssss Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Usually for me the scale goes up about 1.5 -2kg (yes KG!) around that time, it takes about a week after if finishes to go back down.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    <pedant>You ovulate about fourteen days before your period.</pedant>

In case you have other than a 28 day period.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    1. I gain 5lb
    2. There are 12-16 days between ovulation and the next period. It can cause mood swings and some pain or discomfort on whichever side you're ovulating from.
    3. I don't gain weight during ovulation, however if you do, remember that any weight fluctuations caused by your cycle are temporary bloating/ water retention. I tend to weigh myself a few days after my period, when there's less chance of hormonal interference.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    kace_kay wrote: »
    My weight fluctuates during that time of month. Ovulation is about 2 weeks after your period. And yes you can easily retain water and gain weight during ovulation.

Nope

And nope

*jumps up on soapbox*

Neither are true ...nor is it true that you ovulate 14 days before your period.

The 14 day that is oft quoted, included by many ignorant primary physicians, is a population average ...so you may ovulate then or you may ovulate outside the average ...anything from 10 to 16 days before period is "normal". Minimum of 10 to allow conception Then there can be outliers who may have difficulty conceiving due to too short a luteal phase

The only way to know is ovulation predictor sets (or monitoring your temperature, cervical fluid and cervix positioning daily) but that's a PITA and only worthwhile if you have cycle/conception concerns

From personal experience I ovulate around day 18-19 of my cycle

Big yes to the water retention part though
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me, I lose weight on the 5/6th day of my period, typically after a day when I have to pee all the time, then will keep losing for a week after that (while I was still losing I sometimes lost 4-5 pounds in 10 days that way)... Then I start stalling and progressively gaining a couple pounds back until the next one.

So I pretty much only weigh myself after my period at this point, every day until I stop losing 2-3 days in a row, record that low weight as my current weight, and see from month to month where I stand (and typically if I skipped a period, I didn't lose weight at all that month).

I'm mainly maintaining now and it's the same thing... 132/133 pounds after my period, up to 134/135 pounds before and during.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I gain about 3-5 pounds (water retention). I ovulate at day 11 (everyone is different). None of this is really "gaining weight", its retaining water, so is considered, normal daily fluctuation.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I gain about a pound or two around a few days before I start that time of month and then lose it a few days after I start. I continue drinking a lot of fluid and doing my normal exercises and it tends to keep things in check. By the time it's over, I am right where I started before that time of the month came around.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Which is why words fail me when people say, "I just started xyz program and lost 5 lbs in 3 days!" That could be due to any number of things and unless your deficit is massively and unsustainably huge you wouldn't really lose that much fat in such a short time period.

I'm down to weighing about a week after my period ends. I do not know when specifically I ovulate
  • Sheseeksstrength
    Sheseeksstrength Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments!!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Ovulation time will be different for each woman. True, for a standard 28-day cycle, ovulation will generally occur on CD 13 or 14. However, some women have a shorter or longer luteal phase (the days following ovulation) and may have a 28-day cycle but ovulate on an earlier or later day.

I use Fertility Friend to track when my ovulation occurs, but that's because my cycle is extremely irregular now that I'm getting closer to menopause, and I don't like "surprises," especially in the grocery store. :pensive:

My weight doesn't do anything except stand still the last few days before my period. I don't actually gain unless I overeat. However, I know I bloat, as after my period, I will generally lose a pound or two. So perhaps technically I am still losing, not showing it on the scale due to bloating, then show it once the bloating goes down.

I tend to have EXTREME hunger at ovulation, just before my period, and on CD4. I have no idea...but always...CD4! It is strange. :p I can only attribute it to my body gearing up for the new cycle. Or perhaps somehow it's psychological.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I usually gain a pound or two at the start of my period. It goes away at the end of my period. I haven't noticed weight gain related to ovulation.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

My weight doesn't do anything except stand still the last few days before my period. I don't actually gain unless I overeat. However, I know I bloat, as after my period, I will generally lose a pound or two. So perhaps technically I am still losing, not showing it on the scale due to bloating, then show it once the bloating goes down.

Same here.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me about that… I honestly still haven't figured it out. When I tried to lose weight last year, my period was extremely irregular. Now I am on the pill… so go figure what kind of side effects that is doing on water retention and weight loss!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I gain 3lbs water weight the day TOM arrives and that can last up to a week ....and that bugs me big time lol
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    kace_kay wrote: »
    My weight fluctuates during that time of month. Ovulation is about 2 weeks after your period. And yes you can easily retain water and gain weight during ovulation.

Nope

And nope

*jumps up on soapbox*

Neither are true ...nor is it true that you ovulate 14 days before your period.

The 14 day that is oft quoted, included by many ignorant primary physicians, is a population average ...so you may ovulate then or you may ovulate outside the average ...anything from 10 to 16 days before period is "normal". Minimum of 10 to allow conception Then there can be outliers who may have difficulty conceiving due to too short a luteal phase

The only way to know is ovulation predictor sets (or monitoring your temperature, cervical fluid and cervix positioning daily) but that's a PITA and only worthwhile if you have cycle/conception concerns

From personal experience I ovulate around day 18-19 of my cycle

Big yes to the water retention part though

I think the pedant portion referred more to the fact that ovulation happens before, not after the period. If the egg cell isn't dancing happily with a sperm cell, then comes red stuff.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Does all this mean it's pretty impossible to conceive the day after you period stops?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I tend to have EXTREME hunger at ovulation, just before my period, and on CD4. I have no idea...but always...CD4! It is strange. :p I can only attribute it to my body gearing up for the new cycle. Or perhaps somehow it's psychological.

Exactly this. It sucks, lol.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Does all this mean it's pretty impossible to conceive the day after you period stops?

you wouldn't want to be relying on that notion for birth control just in case!
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Don't rely on it. Sperm can survive for quite some time. Also, 14-day cycles are possible.