Women Questions- I need insight.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    Oh boy.... I can't believe I'm asking this on here. But here goes!
    My periods finished on Saturday. I wasn't due to start my contraceptive pill again till Monday. At 3am on Monday morning we had sex. I literally ran out of the bedroom straight away and took my pill!! Now I'm going to be stressing all month :s

There are morning-after pills which have to be taken within something like 24 hours, the sooner the better. If you are on the pill rather than have an IUD, it might be a good idea to have one at home just in case. Hope you receive the news you wish for rather than the ones, which aren't as welcome. I'm not sure how quickly the hormones start "working" to be honest.

It is a bit controversial still, but some gynos in Europe at least have okayed being on the pill constantly. The only reason why women stop taking it for some days a month is because the people (men) who developed the thing thought it unnatural for women not to have menses. So it has become what we perceive to be normal, but the idea has been challenged as pointless, and like I said some women now take the hormones all the time.

The Mirena IUD could be a good alternative, as the hormone levels are much lower and with local action only, as opposed to the ones in the pill (have to travel through the whole body via the blood stream). There's no remembering anything either and someone I know became pregnant because of antibiotic treatment whilst on the pill. Just some neutral reflections, hope it was okay.

Anyway, perhaps you can see your gynecologist to discuss the situation if you are stressing about it?

Wait, I am extremely confused. Most pills I know are taken for 21 days, then a 7 week break, and then you start again. They prevent ovulation so as long as you are taking it every day and in the right rhythm, you are always protected. It does not depend on when you actually take the pill.

Where did you get the 7 weeks from? Did you mean to say 1 week or 7 days? Either you take pills 21 days in a row, then have a week's break for the period, or you take 21 hormone pills followed by 7 placebo pills, during which you also get the period.

The problem is of course that no protection is 100% sure, hence christinev's question, and even when the pill is taken every day, irregular use can also have undesired effects (pregnancy). I'm not sure what you are confused about?

Sorry, I meant 7 days, yes.

I was confused as to why you were talking about taking the pill every day and why chrinistev felt she may be uncovered, since to my knowledge (and of every gynaecologist I have seen) you are also covered during the 7 days break and I assumed she was taking it regularly.

However, I also know that there are plenty different types of pills with different posology methods, so I was wondering if in the States or australia you were using a different method than the one I was accustomed to.

And yes, of course no contraception method is 100% effective. My sister was on one of the strongest pills for a month and was still fertile because genetics.

Thanks for the additional edit, I was wondering what you were confused about :)

I don't have detailed information regarding what an individual woman's hormone levels look like after the 7-day break, which is why I said that she might want to talk to her gyno, considering she had sex at the end of the 7 days and on top of that says she is stressed about the situation. In theory she should be fine, but there are always those odd exceptions at the most inconvenient of times. Such as the antibiotic treatment caused pregnancy.

This part was a side track, but perhaps of interest to someone:
    There is no medical reason why a woman has to stop taking the pill for seven days, but the period is a synthetic bleeding because a woman is supposed to bleed to be a woman (sarkasm). The concept has been challenged by some doctors, who now prescribe 28/28 days of hormones, without any synthetic period induced as part of the cycle.

Haha yeah. Sidetracks like these are always helpful. :smiley:

Actually, in France the gynos will straight out tell you that even in the 21 days pill, if you feel like not bleeding you can just take another tablet right after the first one is done. I did it this summer while I was on a two-week sailboat trip. Works wonderfully.

This is common knowledge in the UK...it's generally on the pill information sheet ...do they not tell you this when they prescribe it?
  • Sued0nim
    I would like to recommend a book to every woman...I read this years ago and had a number of light dawning moments ...my daughter will get a copy when she is old enough..but they should teach this stuff in school...it should be common knowledge that this is how our bodies work ...this is normal

amazon.co.uk/Taking-Charge-Your-Fertility-Definitive/dp/0060881909/ref=asap_B000AP9EKM?ie=UTF8

Oh just realised there's a teen one ...right I'm buying that for my 10 year old

amazon.co.uk/Cycle-Savvy-Smart-Teens-Mysteries/dp/0060829648/ref=asap_B000AP9EKM?ie=UTF8
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    My periods finished on Saturday. I wasn't due to start my contraceptive pill again till Monday. At 3am on Monday morning we had sex. I literally ran out of the bedroom straight away and took my pill!! Now I'm going to be stressing all month :s

There are morning-after pills which have to be taken within something like 24 hours, the sooner the better. If you are on the pill rather than have an IUD, it might be a good idea to have one at home just in case. Hope you receive the news you wish for rather than the ones, which aren't as welcome. I'm not sure how quickly the hormones start "working" to be honest.

It is a bit controversial still, but some gynos in Europe at least have okayed being on the pill constantly. The only reason why women stop taking it for some days a month is because the people (men) who developed the thing thought it unnatural for women not to have menses. So it has become what we perceive to be normal, but the idea has been challenged as pointless, and like I said some women now take the hormones all the time.

The Mirena IUD could be a good alternative, as the hormone levels are much lower and with local action only, as opposed to the ones in the pill (have to travel through the whole body via the blood stream). There's no remembering anything either and someone I know became pregnant because of antibiotic treatment whilst on the pill. Just some neutral reflections, hope it was okay.

Anyway, perhaps you can see your gynecologist to discuss the situation if you are stressing about it?

Wait, I am extremely confused. Most pills I know are taken for 21 days, then a 7 week break, and then you start again. They prevent ovulation so as long as you are taking it every day and in the right rhythm, you are always protected. It does not depend on when you actually take the pill.

Where did you get the 7 weeks from? Did you mean to say 1 week or 7 days? Either you take pills 21 days in a row, then have a week's break for the period, or you take 21 hormone pills followed by 7 placebo pills, during which you also get the period.

The problem is of course that no protection is 100% sure, hence christinev's question, and even when the pill is taken every day, irregular use can also have undesired effects (pregnancy). I'm not sure what you are confused about?

I was confused as to why you were talking about taking the pill every day and why chrinistev felt she may be uncovered, since to my knowledge (and of every gynaecologist I have seen) you are also covered during the 7 days break and I assumed she was taking it regularly.

However, I also know that there are plenty different types of pills with different posology methods, so I was wondering if in the States or australia you were using a different method than the one I was accustomed to.

And yes, of course no contraception method is 100% effective. My sister was on one of the strongest pills for a month and was still fertile because genetics.

I don't have detailed information regarding what an individual woman's hormone levels look like after the 7-day break, which is why I said that she might want to talk to her gyno, considering she had sex at the end of the 7 days and on top of that says she is stressed about the situation. In theory she should be fine, but there are always those odd exceptions at the most inconvenient of times. Such as the antibiotic treatment caused pregnancy.

There is no medical reason why a woman has to stop taking the pill for seven days, but the period is a synthetic bleeding because a woman is supposed to bleed to be a woman (sarkasm). The concept has been challenged by some doctors, who now prescribe 28/28 days of hormones, without any synthetic period induced as part of the cycle.

Actually, in France the gynos will straight out tell you that even in the 21 days pill, if you feel like not bleeding you can just take another tablet right after the first one is done. I did it this summer while I was on a two-week sailboat trip. Works wonderfully.

This is common knowledge in the UK...it's generally on the pill information sheet ...do they not tell you this when they prescribe it?

A lot of what was said in this thread is also common knowledge. In fact they don't even tell you what I said most of the time because you are expected to have seen it at least five times in school before you take the pill for the first time. (Sex ed starts at age 10 in France, sometimes even younger, and you are repeated the basics every year from then on.)

However, since there seemed to be some confusion in this thread and because I regularly come across women and girls that seem confused about how the pill works, I do prefer to reiterate some of these at risk of sounding redundant.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited December 2014
    I would like to recommend a book to every woman...I read this years ago and had a number of light dawning moments ...my daughter will get a copy when she is old enough..but they should teach this stuff in school...it should be common knowledge that this is how our bodies work ...this is normal

amazon.co.uk/Taking-Charge-Your-Fertility-Definitive/dp/0060881909/ref=asap_B000AP9EKM?ie=UTF8

amazon.co.uk/Cycle-Savvy-Smart-Teens-Mysteries/dp/0060829648/ref=asap_B000AP9EKM?ie=UTF8

Loved Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It can intimidating though. Hope the teen one is good though. I'd love something like that for my girls when the time comes.

A lot of what was said in this thread is also common knowledge. In fact they don't even tell you what I said most of the time because you are expected to have seen it at least five times in school before you take the pill for the first time. (Sex ed starts at age 10 in France, sometimes even younger, and you are repeated the basics every year from then on.)

However, since there seemed to be some confusion in this thread and because I regularly come across women and girls that seem confused about how the pill works, I do prefer to reiterate some of these at risk of sounding redundant.

I have found that what is "common knowledge" varies widely both in breadth and accuracy. Because there is such variety in how sex ed is taught in the US and how contentious the issue can become, especially in communities with strong religious convictions, there are a lot of teens and young adult women out there who lack a basic understanding of how their cycle works beyond, "I bleed every month and that means I'm not pregnant." It's not that they're stupid. It's that information on preventing pregnancy is stigmatized because somehow, giving teens information means encouraging them to go out and have a lot of sex.

I had "abstinence only" sex ed in high school and it was a school joke. Seriously, there was a poster that said, "Pet your dog, not your date." There was zero actual information and a lot of vague scare tactics and "the girl controls the intensity of the physical relationship here's how to say no to your boyfriend"

Thank God for my parents who made sure I had the information I needed.

Sorry, I'll climb off my soap box now.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

Agreed. Everyone should have a copy.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member

+1

It blows my mind how little women (and doctors, by the way) are taught about their own reproductive health. I thought I was a well educated woman, then I started doing some reading and research and realized how wrong I was. This book is incredibly enlightening.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

+1

It blows my mind how little women (and doctors, by the way) are taught about their own reproductive health. I thought I was a well educated woman, then I started doing some reading and research and realized how wrong I was. This book is incredibly enlightening.
    I know what you mean. I consider myself pretty educated about my body. I've always been in tune with my body and known exactly when I ovulated.
    On my last visit to the ObGyn I learned that I had a totally wrong idea about a key concept. Live and learn.
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    I bleed for 10-18 weeks constantly and then have 1-4 weeks off with no warning signs for a re-start. I have no idea if I gain weight because my 'cycle' is non-existent in any sense that could be reliably measured, but I seem to start ovulating at any point between 72 hours and 14 days after I stop bleeding.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    My GYN 20 years ago gave me some kind of pill that basically stopped your period (after I had horrible mood swings and blood loss and high cholesterol and whatnot with the lowest dose pill). Except I pretty much bled non stop for a month after that, and I just gave up birth control then. I admit I'm a bit jealous of women who can take them without any side effects!

I guess I'm 'lucky' the two men I've been with since have fertility issues. Although with my luck I'll hit that 2% chance to conceive naturally at some point...
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    yoovie wrote: »
    kace_kay wrote: »
    My weight fluctuates during that time of month. Ovulation is about 2 weeks after your period. And yes you can easily retain water and gain weight during ovulation.

Nope
    <pedant>You ovulate about fourteen days before your period.</pedant>

In case you have other than a 28 day period.

And nope

*jumps up on soapbox*

Neither are true ...nor is it true that you ovulate 14 days before your period.

The 14 day that is oft quoted, included by many ignorant primary physicians, is a population average ...so you may ovulate then or you may ovulate outside the average ...anything from 10 to 16 days before period is "normal". Minimum of 10 to allow conception Then there can be outliers who may have difficulty conceiving due to too short a luteal phase

The only way to know is ovulation predictor sets (or monitoring your temperature, cervical fluid and cervix positioning daily) but that's a PITA and only worthwhile if you have cycle/conception concerns

From personal experience I ovulate around day 18-19 of my cycle

Big yes to the water retention part though

I think the pedant portion referred more to the fact that ovulation happens before, not after the period. If the egg cell isn't dancing happily with a sperm cell, then comes red stuff.

i ovulate before and after my period. but it's never an even 14 days before or after anything else.

In my earlier comment, I didn't speak in standards, so I'll do that now for clarification :)

I was joking. because the cycle never ends...

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    lexbubbles wrote: »
    I bleed for 10-18 weeks constantly and then have 1-4 weeks off with no warning signs for a re-start. I have no idea if I gain weight because my 'cycle' is non-existent in any sense that could be reliably measured, but I seem to start ovulating at any point between 72 hours and 14 days after I stop bleeding.

Goodness - have you seen a doctor?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    It really is a shame how little (if any) anatomy kids get in school. There are many grown women out there who don't know that urine comes out of a different exit than period blood exits. They don't know there are two holes down there. So many people don't know it that I will bet someone reads that and thinks, "Two? There are two?"

Agree with whoever said these people aren't stupid. Nobody ever told them. If I hadn't been told, I wouldn't know, either.

The schools should eliminate some of the useless, repetitive stuff they cover (my son did Phases Of The Moon every year for four or five years) and work in some basic anatomy. IMO. :)
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member

28 of them, and had all the tests including the painful and invasive ones. There's nothing wrong with me. I'm just bizarre.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    kace_kay wrote: »
    My weight fluctuates during that time of month. Ovulation is about 2 weeks after your period. And yes you can easily retain water and gain weight during ovulation.

Nope
    <pedant>You ovulate about fourteen days before your period.</pedant>

In case you have other than a 28 day period.

And nope

*jumps up on soapbox*

Neither are true ...nor is it true that you ovulate 14 days before your period.

The 14 day that is oft quoted, included by many ignorant primary physicians, is a population average ...so you may ovulate then or you may ovulate outside the average ...anything from 10 to 16 days before period is "normal". Minimum of 10 to allow conception Then there can be outliers who may have difficulty conceiving due to too short a luteal phase

The only way to know is ovulation predictor sets (or monitoring your temperature, cervical fluid and cervix positioning daily) but that's a PITA and only worthwhile if you have cycle/conception concerns

From personal experience I ovulate around day 18-19 of my cycle

Big yes to the water retention part though

I think the pedant portion referred more to the fact that ovulation happens before, not after the period. If the egg cell isn't dancing happily with a sperm cell, then comes red stuff.

i ovulate before and after my period. but it's never an even 14 days before or after anything else.

In my earlier comment, I didn't speak in standards, so I'll do that now for clarification :)

I was joking. because the cycle never ends...

I know you were and it was a good one :) But I'm also a sucker for precise language and saw a chance to share what I know about the formal way to address a single cycle, which one is considered day 1.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member

28 of them, and had all the tests including the painful and invasive ones. There's nothing wrong with me. I'm just bizarre.

You poor thing. I'd be so miserable!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member

You poor thing. I'd be so miserable!

What TheVirgoddess said. How do you handle it emotionally? Have you grown used to it somehow?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

When you are taking the birth control pill, it is effective during the placebo pill days (or the days when you take no pill, if that is how that specific one works.) It is effective no matter what part of the pack you are on. You do not need to abstain during the off week when you get your period.

If you were saying that you were going to START birth control for the first time that day, then that may be different. Most packs suggest you wait a week if you do the sunday start method, although if you start on day 1 of your period you should be covered no matter what.

This information is readily available for your specific brand of pill online, just do a quick google search. If chrinistev has been on the pill for several weeks or months and is taking it properly, there is a virtually zero chance of pregnancy in this circumstance.

ehhhhhhhh every month long pill pack I've ever been on has told me to use a back up method when I've been off the pill for more than 2 days- it says it right in the directions.

I NEVER have unprotected sex if I've been off the pill for more than a day. NEVER. EVER. EVER.

Even though BF's been clipped- nope nope nope nope- 2 methods at all times.

also- thank god for seasonique and the 3 month pill packs none of the 21 + 7 day nonsense.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member

Aren't you anemic from the blood loss? A friend of mine bled for 3 weeks and passed out cold at work. Her doc put her on birth control pills to balance out the hormones.
  • Sued0nim
    JoRocka wrote: »

When you are taking the birth control pill, it is effective during the placebo pill days (or the days when you take no pill, if that is how that specific one works.) It is effective no matter what part of the pack you are on. You do not need to abstain during the off week when you get your period.

If you were saying that you were going to START birth control for the first time that day, then that may be different. Most packs suggest you wait a week if you do the sunday start method, although if you start on day 1 of your period you should be covered no matter what.

This information is readily available for your specific brand of pill online, just do a quick google search. If chrinistev has been on the pill for several weeks or months and is taking it properly, there is a virtually zero chance of pregnancy in this circumstance.

ehhhhhhhh every month long pill pack I've ever been on has told me to use a back up method when I've been off the pill for more than 2 days- it says it right in the directions.

I NEVER have unprotected sex if I've been off the pill for more than a day. NEVER. EVER. EVER.

Even though BF's been clipped- nope nope nope nope- 2 methods at all times.

also- thank god for seasonique and the 3 month pill packs none of the 21 + 7 day nonsense.

I have never heard of that with the 21 day out of 28 pill packs ...and I would be surprised to see a contraceptive with that advice ..can you post some brand names?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I might still have an old pill pack with the directions- I don't remember- I've been on seasonique for over a year. - I've been told that from the min I started taking pills.

hell even my seasonique might say that.