Women Questions- I need insight.

Replies

• wteachwo
    wteachwo Posts: 19 Member
    Mirena. My lifesaver and my Gandalf at the Gate so I don't have to worry anymore.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Rabbit, it's called microgynon 50 ED. I wonder if we have different pills here in Australia? ?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    edited December 2014
    Rabbit, it's called microgynon 50 ED. I wonder if we have different pills here in Australia? ?

According to this it is a combination pill. It is to be taken 21+7 days, so a week of non-hormone pills to get the period started.
    https://www.question.com/drugs/microgynon50ed.html
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    My weight loss slows the week before my period, I get weepy, and I find I'm more draggy on my jogs. My motivation falls, and then...I wake up, have a big pee, find out my period has started, and that I've dropped 2.5 pounds overnight...So I guess my fat loss rate is constant, but due to water fluctuation, the scale loss slows down, then speeds up. I've learned not to get worried about this, it's just my natural rhythym. I'm on hormonal birth control, so I don't ovulate. I've never noticed a difference when ovulating (or could tell when I was doing it) in the past.

I have the Mirena, and it works great. My first period with it went on for a month, lightly, which was annoying, but then my periods get lighter and shorter, just a little spotting each month, which is nice (and saves money). Having the horomones wear off and my period return was a real hassle. The Mirena is cheaper in Canada than condoms or the pill, when you average it out over 5 years (but still close to $400 up front, covered on some plans), and less of a hassle. I had my second put in earlier this year. I've read horror stories about having the old ones taken out and the new ones put in, but mine went smoothly.

It'a worked well for me, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else because of some of the stories I've read on the internet. This is a decision a woman research and discuss with her Dr. I have heard from my Dr that the decrease in monthly bleeding has allowed some women with problems to avoid hysterectomies.
  • Christine_72
    You ladies are gems. Thank you for your help xx
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    Oh boy.... I can't believe I'm asking this on here. But here goes!
    My periods finished on Saturday. I wasn't due to start my contraceptive pill again till Monday. At 3am on Monday morning we had sex. I literally ran out of the bedroom straight away and took my pill!! Now I'm going to be stressing all month :s

There are morning-after pills which have to be taken within something like 24 hours, the sooner the better. If you are on the pill rather than have an IUD, it might be a good idea to have one at home just in case. Hope you receive the news you wish for rather than the ones, which aren't as welcome. I'm not sure how quickly the hormones start "working" to be honest.

It is a bit controversial still, but some gynos in Europe at least have okayed being on the pill constantly. The only reason why women stop taking it for some days a month is because the people (men) who developed the thing thought it unnatural for women not to have menses. So it has become what we perceive to be normal, but the idea has been challenged as pointless, and like I said some women now take the hormones all the time.

The Mirena IUD could be a good alternative, as the hormone levels are much lower and with local action only, as opposed to the ones in the pill (have to travel through the whole body via the blood stream). There's no remembering anything either and someone I know became pregnant because of antibiotic treatment whilst on the pill. Just some neutral reflections, hope it was okay.

Anyway, perhaps you can see your gynecologist to discuss the situation if you are stressing about it?

Wait, I am extremely confused. Most pills I know are taken for 21 days, then a 7 week break, and then you start again. They prevent ovulation so as long as you are taking it every day and in the right rhythm, you are always protected. It does not depend on when you actually take the pill.

Where did you get the 7 weeks from? Did you mean to say 1 week or 7 days? Either you take pills 21 days in a row, then have a week's break for the period, or you take 21 hormone pills followed by 7 placebo pills, during which you also get the period.

The problem is of course that no protection is 100% sure, hence christinev's question, and even when the pill is taken every day, irregular use can also have undesired effects (pregnancy). I'm not sure what you are confused about?

Sorry, I meant 7 days, yes.

I was confused as to why you were talking about taking the pill every day and why chrinistev felt she may be uncovered, since to my knowledge (and of every gynaecologist I have seen) you are also covered during the 7 days break and I assumed she was taking it regularly.

However, I also know that there are plenty different types of pills with different posology methods, so I was wondering if in the States or australia you were using a different method than the one I was accustomed to.

And yes, of course no contraception method is 100% effective. My sister was on one of the strongest pills for a month and was still fertile because genetics.

Thanks for the additional edit, I was wondering what you were confused about :)

I don't have detailed information regarding what an individual woman's hormone levels look like after the 7-day break, which is why I said that she might want to talk to her gyno, considering she had sex at the end of the 7 days and on top of that says she is stressed about the situation. In theory she should be fine, but there are always those odd exceptions at the most inconvenient of times. Such as the antibiotic treatment caused pregnancy.

This part was a side track, but perhaps of interest to someone:
    There is no medical reason why a woman has to stop taking the pill for seven days, but the period is a synthetic bleeding because a woman is supposed to bleed to be a woman (sarkasm). The concept has been challenged by some doctors, who now prescribe 28/28 days of hormones, without any synthetic period induced as part of the cycle.
  • Christine_72
    Yep! That's why many women choose to have mirena and Depo etc. Because of the blissful absence of periods.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Hi! A few personal questions-
    1. What happens to your weight during your period?
    2. When is ovulation?
    3. Do you gain weight during ovulation?
    1. Before my second pregnancy, I could gain up to 5lbs during my period. Since, I've had my second child and mirena inserted (didn't even have a period for a few months after getting it), I gain weight the week before and then lose it plus some the week of. *shrug*
    2. Dunno. I think I fall within the average, but I've never actually bothered with trying to figure it out.
    3. Before my second pregnancy, no. However, that could be why I'm retaining water the week before now. It's not out of the realm of possibility.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    My periods finished on Saturday. I wasn't due to start my contraceptive pill again till Monday. At 3am on Monday morning we had sex. I literally ran out of the bedroom straight away and took my pill!! Now I'm going to be stressing all month :s

There are morning-after pills which have to be taken within something like 24 hours, the sooner the better. If you are on the pill rather than have an IUD, it might be a good idea to have one at home just in case. Hope you receive the news you wish for rather than the ones, which aren't as welcome. I'm not sure how quickly the hormones start "working" to be honest.

It is a bit controversial still, but some gynos in Europe at least have okayed being on the pill constantly. The only reason why women stop taking it for some days a month is because the people (men) who developed the thing thought it unnatural for women not to have menses. So it has become what we perceive to be normal, but the idea has been challenged as pointless, and like I said some women now take the hormones all the time.

The Mirena IUD could be a good alternative, as the hormone levels are much lower and with local action only, as opposed to the ones in the pill (have to travel through the whole body via the blood stream). There's no remembering anything either and someone I know became pregnant because of antibiotic treatment whilst on the pill. Just some neutral reflections, hope it was okay.

Anyway, perhaps you can see your gynecologist to discuss the situation if you are stressing about it?

Wait, I am extremely confused. Most pills I know are taken for 21 days, then a 7 week break, and then you start again. They prevent ovulation so as long as you are taking it every day and in the right rhythm, you are always protected. It does not depend on when you actually take the pill.

Where did you get the 7 weeks from? Did you mean to say 1 week or 7 days? Either you take pills 21 days in a row, then have a week's break for the period, or you take 21 hormone pills followed by 7 placebo pills, during which you also get the period.

The problem is of course that no protection is 100% sure, hence christinev's question, and even when the pill is taken every day, irregular use can also have undesired effects (pregnancy). I'm not sure what you are confused about?

I was confused as to why you were talking about taking the pill every day and why chrinistev felt she may be uncovered, since to my knowledge (and of every gynaecologist I have seen) you are also covered during the 7 days break and I assumed she was taking it regularly.

However, I also know that there are plenty different types of pills with different posology methods, so I was wondering if in the States or australia you were using a different method than the one I was accustomed to.

And yes, of course no contraception method is 100% effective. My sister was on one of the strongest pills for a month and was still fertile because genetics.

When you are taking the birth control pill, it is effective during the placebo pill days (or the days when you take no pill, if that is how that specific one works.) It is effective no matter what part of the pack you are on. You do not need to abstain during the off week when you get your period.

If you were saying that you were going to START birth control for the first time that day, then that may be different. Most packs suggest you wait a week if you do the sunday start method, although if you start on day 1 of your period you should be covered no matter what.

This information is readily available for your specific brand of pill online, just do a quick google search. If chrinistev has been on the pill for several weeks or months and is taking it properly, there is a virtually zero chance of pregnancy in this circumstance.
  • Christine_72
    Yes, I've been on the pill for a few years.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

I've taken microgynon ...it's a standard combined pill and you are protected from first packet (if taken first day of period) throughout your cycle if taken daily, including during your 7 days of placebo pill, which is just to keep the habit up whilst having a withdrawal bleed..you shouldn't need to rush to take a pill because of sex ...

But don't take an internet sprites word for it ...read the pill information or speak to your doctor again

The covered for 24 hours I think is a misunderstanding or miscommunication
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I've taken microgynon ...it's a standard combined pill and you are protected from first packet (if taken first day of period) throughout your cycle if taken daily, including during your 7 days of placebo pill, which is just to keep the habit up whilst having a withdrawal bleed..you shouldn't need to rush to take a pill because of sex ...

But don't take an internet sprites word for it ...read the pill information or speak to your doctor again

The covered for 24 hours I think is a misunderstanding or miscommunication

Agreed. You are covered, but this info is available online as well.

Your doctor most likely told you the 24 hour thing as a way to encourage you to remember to take your pill at the same time every day. When you miss a dose, it can increase your chances of getting pregnant that month, but again the risk stays quite low even with a missed dose.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Mirena made me bleed nonstop for the 3 or 4 months I had it. Miserable pain, awful moodswings. I went back to Depo after that mess. I hear it works WONDERFULLY for some women, but I sure wasn't one of them!

I didn't bleed non stop but it was my LEAST favorite hormonal BC ever. "localized" my *kitten*.
  • Christine_72
    edited December 2014
    Phew!! Again thanks so much for your help guys xx
    Now I better stop Hijacking this thread.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Thank you Aglaea. My youngest is 20, so no more kids for me! My hubby is booked in for a vasectomy. It can't come soon enough! I think the odds of being pregnant are incredibly low. It took us 6mths to conceive both of my kids, so keeping fingers crossed. I could just kill him, he knew what he had to do.....

We were so sure we were done with babies I had my tubes tied right after my daughter's birth and a month later my husband got his vasectomy! I told him it wasn't necessary, but he wanted to be double extra sure. LOL
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Hi! A few personal questions-
    1. What happens to your weight during your period?
    2. When is ovulation?
    3. Do you gain weight during ovulation?
    Generally speaking ovulation is 14 days before the beginning of a period. I typically saw a 2-3lb increase on the scale for ovulation, and a 3-4lb increase just before my period began, and then a big loss after my period ended.
    Same. Starts building about halfway through, gets worse and worse and then whoosh! It's all gone and I have one great week.

Being a woman has it's drawbacks!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    I was teaching my daughter how to pee in the woods when she was 3 or 4. After soaking her feet, she sighed and said "It's hard being a woman!"
  • Christine_72
    I was teaching my daughter how to pee in the woods when she was 3 or 4. After soaking her feet, she sighed and said "It's hard being a woman!"

<3 naaaw sweet <3

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member

That is so cute!

She wasn't wrong, lol.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member

Thanks for the additional edit, I was wondering what you were confused about :)

I don't have detailed information regarding what an individual woman's hormone levels look like after the 7-day break, which is why I said that she might want to talk to her gyno, considering she had sex at the end of the 7 days and on top of that says she is stressed about the situation. In theory she should be fine, but there are always those odd exceptions at the most inconvenient of times. Such as the antibiotic treatment caused pregnancy.

This part was a side track, but perhaps of interest to someone:
    There is no medical reason why a woman has to stop taking the pill for seven days, but the period is a synthetic bleeding because a woman is supposed to bleed to be a woman (sarkasm). The concept has been challenged by some doctors, who now prescribe 28/28 days of hormones, without any synthetic period induced as part of the cycle.

Haha yeah. Sidetracks like these are always helpful. :smiley:

Actually, in France the gynos will straight out tell you that even in the 21 days pill, if you feel like not bleeding you can just take another tablet right after the first one is done. I did it this summer while I was on a two-week sailboat trip. Works wonderfully.