Women Questions- I need insight.

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Oh boy.... I can't believe I'm asking this on here. But here goes!
    My periods finished on Saturday. I wasn't due to start my contraceptive pill again till Monday. At 3am on Monday morning we had sex. I literally ran out of the bedroom straight away and took my pill!! Now I'm going to be stressing all month :s

There are morning-after pills which have to be taken within something like 24 hours, the sooner the better. If you are on the pill rather than have an IUD, it might be a good idea to have one at home just in case. Hope you receive the news you wish for rather than the ones, which aren't as welcome. I'm not sure how quickly the hormones start "working" to be honest.

It is a bit controversial still, but some gynos in Europe at least have okayed being on the pill constantly. The only reason why women stop taking it for some days a month is because the people (men) who developed the thing thought it unnatural for women not to have menses. So it has become what we perceive to be normal, but the idea has been challenged as pointless, and like I said some women now take the hormones all the time.

The Mirena IUD could be a good alternative, as the hormone levels are much lower and with local action only, as opposed to the ones in the pill (have to travel through the whole body via the blood stream). There's no remembering anything either and someone I know became pregnant because of antibiotic treatment whilst on the pill. Just some neutral reflections, hope it was okay.

Anyway, perhaps you can see your gynecologist to discuss the situation if you are stressing about it?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Thank you Aglaea. My youngest is 20, so no more kids for me! My hubby is booked in for a vasectomy. It can't come soon enough! I think the odds of being pregnant are incredibly low. It took us 6mths to conceive both of my kids, so keeping fingers crossed. I could just kill him, he knew what he had to do.....
  • AglaeaC
    Thank you Aglaea. My youngest is 20, so no more kids for me! My hubby is booked in for a vasectomy. It can't come soon enough! I think the odds of being pregnant are incredibly low. It took us 6mths to conceive both of my kids, so keeping fingers crossed. I could just kill him, he knew what he had to do.....

Oh hon, it takes two to tango :) Glad there's some action going on, though. Don't kill him, the fun would stop quite quickly then ;)
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    AglaeaC wrote: »

It is a bit controversial still, but some gynos in Europe at least have okayed being on the pill constantly. The only reason why women stop taking it for some days a month is because the people (men) who developed the thing thought it unnatural for women not to have menses. So it has become what we perceive to be normal, but the idea has been challenged as pointless, and like I said some women now take the hormones all the time.
    ?

I haven't had a real period for 14 years. Go Depo! I also had two kids during that time, so.... any form of birth control is not 100% effective. LOL
  • AglaeaC
    edited December 2014

I haven't had a real period for 14 years. Go Depo! I also had two kids during that time, so.... any form of birth control is not 100% effective. LOL

Yeah, the only real contraceptive is to keep a pea between one's knees. My Mirena days were interesting, barely no period at all and no pain either.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Mirena made me bleed nonstop for the 3 or 4 months I had it. Miserable pain, awful moodswings. I went back to Depo after that mess. I hear it works WONDERFULLY for some women, but I sure wasn't one of them!
  • AglaeaC
    Mirena made me bleed nonstop for the 3 or 4 months I had it. Miserable pain, awful moodswings. I went back to Depo after that mess. I hear it works WONDERFULLY for some women, but I sure wasn't one of them!

Glad you pitched in, it's good to hear of different experiences.
  • Christine_72

yep me too. I was on Depo for years before that with no probs. So I went back to that and had the same constant bleeding problems. My body is just strange :(

• Oh boy.... I can't believe I'm asking this on here. But here goes!
    My periods finished on Saturday. I wasn't due to start my contraceptive pill again till Monday. At 3am on Monday morning we had sex. I literally ran out of the bedroom straight away and took my pill!! Now I'm going to be stressing all month :s

I am sure it is fine. LOL
  • Christine_72

I am sure it is fine. LOL

<3<3 I'll let you know in a few weeks...
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    edited December 2014

There are morning-after pills which have to be taken within something like 24 hours, the sooner the better. If you are on the pill rather than have an IUD, it might be a good idea to have one at home just in case. Hope you receive the news you wish for rather than the ones, which aren't as welcome. I'm not sure how quickly the hormones start "working" to be honest.

The Mirena IUD could be a good alternative, as the hormone levels are much lower and with local action only, as opposed to the ones in the pill (have to travel through the whole body via the blood stream). There's no remembering anything either and someone I know became pregnant because of antibiotic treatment whilst on the pill. Just some neutral reflections, hope it was okay.

Anyway, perhaps you can see your gynecologist to discuss the situation if you are stressing about it?

Wait, I am extremely confused. Most pills I know are taken for 21 days, then a 7 days break, and then you start again. They prevent ovulation so as long as you are taking it every day and in the right rhythm, you are always protected. It does not depend on when you actually take the pill.
  • Christine_72
    Gingerbreadcandy, my doctor said the contraceptive pill covers you for approximately 24 hours. I hadn't taken mine for 7 days when the incident happened. So I was well and truly uncovered
  • AglaeaC

Wait, I am extremely confused. Most pills I know are taken for 21 days, then a 7 week break, and then you start again. They prevent ovulation so as long as you are taking it every day and in the right rhythm, you are always protected. It does not depend on when you actually take the pill.

Where did you get the 7 weeks from? Did you mean to say 1 week or 7 days? Either you take pills 21 days in a row, then have a week's break for the period, or you take 21 hormone pills followed by 7 placebo pills, during which you also get the period.

The problem is of course that no protection is 100% sure, hence christinev's question, and even when the pill is taken every day, irregular use can also have undesired effects (pregnancy). I'm not sure what you are confused about?
  • GingerbreadCandy
    edited December 2014

Wait, I am extremely confused. Most pills I know are taken for 21 days, then a 7 week break, and then you start again. They prevent ovulation so as long as you are taking it every day and in the right rhythm, you are always protected. It does not depend on when you actually take the pill.

Where did you get the 7 weeks from? Did you mean to say 1 week or 7 days? Either you take pills 21 days in a row, then have a week's break for the period, or you take 21 hormone pills followed by 7 placebo pills, during which you also get the period.

The problem is of course that no protection is 100% sure, hence christinev's question, and even when the pill is taken every day, irregular use can also have undesired effects (pregnancy). I'm not sure what you are confused about?

Sorry, I meant 7 days, yes.

I was confused as to why you were talking about taking the pill every day and why chrinistev felt she may be uncovered, since to my knowledge (and of every gynaecologist I have seen) you are also covered during the 7 days break and I assumed she was taking it regularly.

However, I also know that there are plenty different types of pills with different posology methods, so I was wondering if in the States or australia you were using a different method than the one I was accustomed to.

And yes, of course no contraception method is 100% effective. My sister was on one of the strongest pills for a month and was still fertile because genetics.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

What?

You're on the pill? As in take it for 21 days, stop for 7? Then you're protected throughout ...
  • GingerbreadCandy
    edited December 2014
    Gingerbreadcandy, my doctor said the contraceptive pill covers you for approximately 24 hours. I hadn't taken mine for 7 days when the incident happened. So I was well and truly uncovered

Must be a different kind of pill than mine then.
  • Sued0nim

Must be a different kind of pill than mine then! :smile:

I'm pretty sure there's no pill that works for 24 hours ...did your doctor mean if you forget to take it in when due you have 24 hours grace but if you leave it longer then use alternative protection

Pills work throughout your cycle if you take them all
  • Christine_72
    edited December 2014
    rabbitjb wrote: »

What?

You're on the pill? As in take it for 21 days, stop for 7? Then you're protected throughout ...

I can't be protected throughout. Like I said, the pill covers you for 24 hours, per doctor. I'm not sure I understand your question? ?

• Sued0nim

What?

I can't be protected throughout. Like I said, the pill covers you for 24 hours. I'm not sure I understand your question? ?

Ok, what pill are you on? Brand name?
  • GingerbreadCandy

Must be a different kind of pill than mine then! :smile:

I'm pretty sure there's no pill that works for 24 hours ...did your doctor mean if you forget to take it in when due you have 24 hours grace but if you leave it longer then use alternative protection

Pills work throughout your cycle if you take them all

Oh that actually would make a whole lot more sense.