Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    tigersword wrote: »
    dubble13 wrote: »
    From a nutrition aspect, I try to limit my intake of added sugars from processed foods and such. I don't count sugars from fruits and other natural sources. I watched a really interesting documentary yeaterday though called Fed Up. According to that, sugar calories (all sugars, natural or processed) aren't treated by your body the same way and are more readily stored as fat instead of used as energy. It is worth watching if you would like to learn more about sugar in your diet.

No. The sugars are treated exactly the same way, as they are the exact same molecules. The human digestive system doesn't recognize "Apple" or "Twinkie." It recognizes glucose and fructose and digests them accordingly.

Also, unless you're eating kilograms of sugar, it won't be stored as fat. Sugar is almost never stored as fat, as the body readily uses it as its main energy source. It won't remain in the body long enough to be converted to fat, unless, like I said, you're eating about a 1000 grams in a sitting. That would be the equivalent of 25 cans of Coke in one sitting, for perspective.

The body is actually quite good at storing glucose as fat, except in diabetics. Carbohydrates are turned into glucose by the body, quickly for simple sugars, more slowly for complex carbohydrates and sugars that are eaten with fiber, fat, or protein. Sustained high levels of glucose in the blood causes damage to nerves and the vascular system, leading to blindness and necrosis. Fortunately the body uses insulin to prevent glucose from causing damage. Insulin causes the liver and muscles to take up glucose and store it. You can store about 100g of glucose in the liver and 500g glucose (in the form of glycogen) in the muscles. Once your immediate need for glucose is met (i.e. your brain will use 120g/day), and the storage room inside your muscles and liver is full, insulin causes any excess glucose to be stored in fat cells. You do not need to eat kilos of sugar in one sitting to gain fat from it. Even if you come to a meal competely starved, with your muscles and liver absolutely empty of glycogen, you will have excess glucose after 600 grams. And, of course, your body would never let you have absolutely no glucose, as it is necessary for your brain to keep running. When the body is starved of carbohydrate, it begins to make protein into glucose, breaking down muscle if it has no other source. Fat can also be made into glucose, but it is a slow process. The body can make fat out of any excess calories that it can digest (i.e. fat, protein, and carbohydrates, excluding insoluable fiber).
    From a nutrition aspect, I try to limit my intake of added sugars from processed foods and such. I don't count sugars from fruits and other natural sources. I watched a really interesting documentary yeaterday though called Fed Up. According to that, sugar calories (all sugars, natural or processed) aren't treated by your body the same way and are more readily stored as fat instead of used as energy. It is worth watching if you would like to learn more about sugar in your diet.

No. The sugars are treated exactly the same way, as they are the exact same molecules. The human digestive system doesn't recognize "Apple" or "Twinkie." It recognizes glucose and fructose and digests them accordingly.

Also, unless you're eating kilograms of sugar, it won't be stored as fat. Sugar is almost never stored as fat, as the body readily uses it as its main energy source. It won't remain in the body long enough to be converted to fat, unless, like I said, you're eating about a 1000 grams in a sitting. That would be the equivalent of 25 cans of Coke in one sitting, for perspective.

The body is actually quite good at storing glucose as fat, except in diabetics. Carbohydrates are turned into glucose by the body, quickly for simple sugars, more slowly for complex carbohydrates and sugars that are eaten with fiber, fat, or protein. Sustained high levels of glucose in the blood causes damage to nerves and the vascular system, leading to blindness and necrosis. Fortunately the body uses insulin to prevent glucose from causing damage. Insulin causes the liver and muscles to take up glucose and store it. You can store about 100g of glucose in the liver and 500g glucose (in the form of glycogen) in the muscles. Once your immediate need for glucose is met (i.e. your brain will use 120g/day), and the storage room inside your muscles and liver is full, insulin causes any excess glucose to be stored in fat cells. You do not need to eat kilos of sugar in one sitting to gain fat from it. Even if you come to a meal competely starved, with your muscles and liver absolutely empty of glycogen, you will have excess glucose after 600 grams. And, of course, your body would never let you have absolutely no glucose, as it is necessary for your brain to keep running. When the body is starved of carbohydrate, it begins to make protein into glucose, breaking down muscle if it has no other source. Fat can also be made into glucose, but it is a slow process. The body can make fat out of any excess calories that it can digest (i.e. fat, protein, and carbohydrates, excluding insoluable fiber).
    Except in a deficit, nothing including sugar gets stored as fat....eat too much then sugar along with the rest of what you eat will get stored as adipose tissue. Not sure what your point is here.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Heh, my sugar count also is not what is 'recommended' but it is all natural sugars because I eat a lot of fruit so I guess its just fine as long as its not added sugar. (:

You can gain weight with natural sugars as well as added sugars. The only reason it's harder is most fruits are low in calories.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Except in a deficit, nothing including sugar gets stored as fat....eat too much then sugar along with the rest of what you eat will get stored as adipose tissue. Not sure what your point is here.

Fat gets stored and released all the time, after eating we store most of what we ate for later use otherwise we would be eating all the time (which some people do seem to do).
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Heh, my sugar count also is not what is 'recommended' but it is all natural sugars because I eat a lot of fruit so I guess its just fine as long as its not added sugar. (:

You can gain weight with natural sugars as well as added sugars. The only reason it's harder is most fruits are low in calories.

^^This... Foods with added sugar generally have more calories and are easier to over-eat. It really is not all that complicated.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Fat gets stored and released all the time, after eating we store most of what we ate for later use otherwise we would be eating all the time (which some people do seem to do).

We aren't talking about acute changes. We are talking about overall net changes in fat storage.
  • tigersword
    Options

It really isn't that good. While I admit I may have exaggerated the number slightly, let's go ahead and use 600 grams of storage, plus the 130 grams the brain uses. That's still 730 grams. That's still almost 3000 calories worth of sugar before it gets converted to fat.

Over 85% of the fat in adipose tissue is made of fatty acids. Sugar is very rarely stored, because it's used immediately.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options

It really isn't that good. While I admit I may have exaggerated the number slightly, let's go ahead and use 600 grams of storage, plus the 130 grams the brain uses. That's still 730 grams. That's still almost 3000 calories worth of sugar before it gets converted to fat.

Over 85% of the fat in adipose tissue is made of fatty acids. Sugar is very rarely stored, because it's used immediately.

Yes, the sugar is turned by the liver into fatty acids by the body so it can be stored in fat cells. And, as you acknowledged above, that happens continuously over the day. Sugar, in some ways, is more likely to be stored as fat, as it has no other use in the body other than stored and used energy. Fat and protein both are used to make hormones, in the nervous system, to repair and build body tissues, in the skin, etc. (have a use beyond their caloric content).

There is only a net gain of fat when the body is given more calories than daily energy expenditure, however, as we live in a society with over 50% of people being overweight or obese, this is not a rare event. Having one`s liver and muscles completely empty at the beginning of a meal is extremely rare, however, unless carbs are restricted. Keep in mind the 130 g of carbs the brain uses is over the course of a day. For the 1/2 hour of a meal, only 5-6g carbs would be needed.

This is how carbs become net fat. If someone had their body full of stored carbs at breakfast, then ate a 500 calorie lunch, with a tdee of 2400 calories, they would have the room to store 400 calories (100 calories burned/hour at normal activity at this TDEE). So, assuming they ate 58% carbs (72g), 30% fat (17g) and 22% protein (15g - numbers slightly off due to rounding), the person would be gaining net fat in from the carbohydrate and some of the fat, with the remaing fat and all protein going to create and maintain body systems (non-energy requirements). Some of the carbs would be sugar, so sugar made fat in this example, perhaps as little as the 10 grams in a glass of juice. Sugar is turned into net fat regularly. :smile:
  • kyta32
    Options

I was replying to tigger who claimed you would have to eat over a kilo of sugar at one sitting for any of it to be stored as fat, and that sugar is rarely stored as fat. I was giving an extreme "at one sitting" example, I didn't really cover the "over maintenance" part (except for people with a tdee under 2400 calories). In reality, every calorie of sugar consumed over maintenance can be converted and stored as fat, I agree :)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Yes, the sugar is turned by the liver into fatty acids by the body so it can be stored in fat cells. And, as you acknowledged above, that happens continuously over the day. Sugar, in some ways, is more likely to be stored as fat, as it has no other use in the body other than stored and used energy. Fat and protein both are used to make hormones, in the nervous system, to repair and build body tissues, in the skin, etc. (have a use beyond their caloric content).

There is only a net gain of fat when the body is given more calories than daily energy expenditure, however, as we live in a society with over 50% of people being overweight or obese, this is not a rare event. Having one`s liver and muscles completely empty at the beginning of a meal is extremely rare, however, unless carbs are restricted. Keep in mind the 130 g of carbs the brain uses is over the course of a day. For the 1/2 hour of a meal, only 5-6g carbs would be needed.

This is how carbs become net fat. If someone had their body full of stored carbs at breakfast, then ate a 500 calorie lunch, with a tdee of 2400 calories, they would have the room to store 400 calories (100 calories burned/hour at normal activity at this TDEE). So, assuming they ate 58% carbs (72g), 30% fat (17g) and 22% protein (15g - numbers slightly off due to rounding), the person would be gaining net fat in from the carbohydrate and some of the fat, with the remaing fat and all protein going to create and maintain body systems (non-energy requirements). Some of the carbs would be sugar, so sugar made fat in this example, perhaps as little as the 10 grams in a glass of juice. Sugar is turned into net fat regularly. :smile:

Carbs are rarely, if ever stored as fat. DNL? The dietary fat you eat is the easiest to store
  • kyta32
    Options

Oh, did I misunderstand CICO? I can eat 3000 calories at each meal and not gain fat as long as it is all sugar? Good news. I found out what I've been doing wrong all this time...LOL (sorry, I just couldn't resist :wink: )
  • kyta32
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

Carbs are rarely, if ever stored as fat. DNL? The dietary fat you eat is the easiest to store

What do you mean by DNL? Are you saying CICO doesn't work? :\
  • yarwell
    Options
    We aren't talking about acute changes. We are talking about overall net changes in fat storage.

Over what time period ?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

What do you mean by DNL? Are you saying CICO doesn't work? :\

You don't know what DNL is?
  • yarwell
    Options
    What do you mean by DNL?

De Novo Lipogensis - making of new fat from carbohydrates. Only tends to happen in prolonged overfeeding where the carb intake exceeds total energy demands.

Generally speaking the effect of eating carbs is to switch fuel use towards carbs (to get rid of glucose from the bloodstream) which leaves the fat being stored instead of used as fuel. So the net effect is carb intake reduces fat oxidation / increases fat storage without requiring actual conversion of carbs to fats.

Eating fat has no such effect on the fuel split.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    and someone said "it really is not all that complicated" :p
  • tigersword
    Options

I don't think you understand what the term "net" means. Also, sugar is burned instantly for energy, then leftovers are used to refill glycogen stores, then if any are left over at that point, it's converted to glycerol. However, as we've established, 730 grams of glucose are required for brain use and glycogen storage (not counting the glucose used by the rest of the body, of which there are various organs that are glucose exclusive for energy.) The average American eats around 200-300 grams of carbs per day. So even if glycogen is only half depleted during the day, it's not being refilled. So there isn't any left over glucose to be converted to glycerol, because it's all used up before it gets to that step. Dietary fat, on the other hand, gets shuttled right to adipose tissue for storage after being eaten, then the endocrine system pulls what it needs from adipose storage.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Oh boy! I'm a bit of a fruit addict. I stay under my tdee most days, but always go over in sugar, mostly because of all the fruit I eat. Should I cut down on fruit or not?? I'm losing weight just fine.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    Oh boy! I'm a bit of a fruit addict. I stay under my tdee most days, but always go over in sugar, mostly because of all the fruit I eat. Should I cut down on fruit or not?? I'm losing weight just fine.

Provided that you have no health issues where sugar could be a problem, and you eat enough protein and fat, no need to worry about your fruit. If you love it, enjoy! :)

• kyta32
    Options

I don't think you understand what the term "net" means. Also, sugar is burned instantly for energy, then leftovers are used to refill glycogen stores, then if any are left over at that point, it's converted to glycerol. However, as we've established, 730 grams of glucose are required for brain use and glycogen storage (not counting the glucose used by the rest of the body, of which there are various organs that are glucose exclusive for energy.) The average American eats around 200-300 grams of carbs per day. So even if glycogen is only half depleted during the day, it's not being refilled. So there isn't any left over glucose to be converted to glycerol, because it's all used up before it gets to that step. Dietary fat, on the other hand, gets shuttled right to adipose tissue for storage after being eaten, then the endocrine system pulls what it needs from adipose storage.

http://www.jlr.org/content/11/2/131.full.pdf
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipogenesis
    Excess glucose is turned into fat

You would only need to replenish a full 730 g of glucose if you use it. If the muscles and liver are already full of glucose, they would not take any more in. Typically, up to 60% of calories burned at rest, 30% of calories burned at light activity, and 60% calories at intense activity are fat. So, in an oversimplified example, a person at 2400 tdee who is not active burns 240 g (960 calories) glucose a day. Should they eat 300 g carbs (ignoring fiber to make this simpler), they would store 240 calories, or 27 grams of fat. This fat may be burned because total energy in is less then energy out, or it may be retained (net fat gain). Excess glucose must be stored, or it causes the kind of damage seen in diabetics. Excess carbohydrate is turned into fat all through the day in the body. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.