Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dubble13 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    From a nutrition aspect, I try to limit my intake of added sugars from processed foods and such. I don't count sugars from fruits and other natural sources. I watched a really interesting documentary yeaterday though called Fed Up. According to that, sugar calories (all sugars, natural or processed) aren't treated by your body the same way and are more readily stored as fat instead of used as energy. It is worth watching if you would like to learn more about sugar in your diet.
    Wrong. Sorry.

That's vague.
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/when-dieting-not-all-calo/

GI is pretty much bunk for non-diabetics
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/287058.php
    "The unexpected findings of the study by Sacks et al suggest that the concept of glycemic index is less important than previously thought, especially in the context of an overall healthy diet, as tested in this study"
    http://nutrevolve.blogspot.com/2014/06/fedup-with-cause-of-obesity.html
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options

From a nutrition aspect, I try to limit my intake of added sugars from processed foods and such. I don't count sugars from fruits and other natural sources. I watched a really interesting documentary yeaterday though called Fed Up. According to that, sugar calories (all sugars, natural or processed) aren't treated by your body the same way and are more readily stored as fat instead of used as energy. It is worth watching if you would like to learn more about sugar in your diet.
    Wrong. Sorry.
    Maybe instead of telling someone they are wrong you can provide information to actually back your stance.

Dubble, please take information from documentaries very lightly, especially fed up. It was produced by a journalist and it cherry picked science to sell a point
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    msmi1970 wrote: »
    i gather, the general consensus is that you should not worry about sugar unless (or until) you have a medical condition.

i am assuming that "medical condition" is Type 2 Diabetes.

just be wary that diabetes does not simply materialise overnight. it takes years before its symptoms manifest (and once they do, there is no going back) and by then in all likelihood, some damage to your body would have occurred.

not trying to scare you. but, imho, it is good to cut back on sugar and refined carbohydrates and to keep an occasional eye on your blood sugar levels. take it from someone who has lived with this debilitating disease for 15 years.

True. However, according to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, physical inactivity and obesity are strongly associated with the development of type 2 diabetes. People who are genetically susceptible to type 2 diabetes are more vulnerable when these risk factors are present.

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/causes/

So watching your weight (a function of calories in/calories out) and getting physical activity are much more effective in preventing/managing diabetes than counting grams of sugar IMHO
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    msmi1970 wrote: »
    i gather, the general consensus is that you should not worry about sugar unless (or until) you have a medical condition.

i am assuming that "medical condition" is Type 2 Diabetes.

just be wary that diabetes does not simply materialise overnight. it takes years before its symptoms manifest (and once they do, there is no going back) and by then in all likelihood, some damage to your body would have occurred.

not trying to scare you. but, imho, it is good to cut back on sugar and refined carbohydrates and to keep an occasional eye on your blood sugar levels. take it from someone who has lived with this debilitating disease for 15 years.

True. However, according to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, physical inactivity and obesity are strongly associated with the development of type 2 diabetes. People who are genetically susceptible to type 2 diabetes are more vulnerable when these risk factors are present.

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/causes/

So watching your weight (a function of calories in/calories out) and getting physical activity are much more effective in preventing/managing diabetes than counting grams of sugar IMHO
    There's also the fact that sugar consumption doesn't actually cause diabetes, other than contributing to overconsumption of calories and weight gain.
  • tigersword
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    I am not sure if sugar is clinically or chemically addicting, but I do know that once I stopped eating simple carbs (and therefore sugar) for a few weeks, my cravings for and evening binge-like behavior on carby snacks (crackers, tortilla chips, Goldfish crackers) completed disappeared. I feel more even-keeled during the day and am not always thinking about my next meal.

It has changed my behavior in a major way. And I've lost 20# because I feel more satiated on protein and fats, so it's easier to sustain a caloric deficit.

Just my personal experience. YMMV.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but crackers, tortilla chips, and goldfish are complex carbs. Simple carbs would be fruit.
  • tigersword
    Options

No. The sugars are treated exactly the same way, as they are the exact same molecules. The human digestive system doesn't recognize "Apple" or "Twinkie." It recognizes glucose and fructose and digests them accordingly.

Also, unless you're eating kilograms of sugar, it won't be stored as fat. Sugar is almost never stored as fat, as the body readily uses it as its main energy source. It won't remain in the body long enough to be converted to fat, unless, like I said, you're eating about a 1000 grams in a sitting. That would be the equivalent of 25 cans of Coke in one sitting, for perspective.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    There isn't a twinkie molecule?

Where is your backup for this?
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to 25g or less of processed sugar a day plus any fruit i might eat, usually one piece, but i have never craved sugar. Many days I am well under that.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    ketorach wrote: »
    I am not sure if sugar is clinically or chemically addicting, but I do know that once I stopped eating simple carbs (and therefore sugar) for a few weeks, my cravings for and evening binge-like behavior on carby snacks (crackers, tortilla chips, Goldfish crackers) completed disappeared. I feel more even-keeled during the day and am not always thinking about my next meal.

It has changed my behavior in a major way. And I've lost 20# because I feel more satiated on protein and fats, so it's easier to sustain a caloric deficit.

Just my personal experience. YMMV.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but crackers, tortilla chips, and goldfish are complex carbs. Simple carbs would be fruit.
    Sorry, thanks! I did a revision while I was typing and before I posted the reply. Doesn't matter too much since I eat pretty much zero carbs unless they are from vegetables, occasionally fruit but very, very rarely. I usually hover between 25g and 35g of carbs per day.

• ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options

No. The sugars are treated exactly the same way, as they are the exact same molecules. The human digestive system doesn't recognize "Apple" or "Twinkie." It recognizes glucose and fructose and digests them accordingly.

Also, unless you're eating kilograms of sugar, it won't be stored as fat. Sugar is almost never stored as fat, as the body readily uses it as its main energy source. It won't remain in the body long enough to be converted to fat, unless, like I said, you're eating about a 1000 grams in a sitting. That would be the equivalent of 25 cans of Coke in one sitting, for perspective.

Aside: I was once traveling in a third world country and drank gasoline by accident because it was stored in a water bottle. Not having the same medical opportunities as they do here in the states, the doctor's response was to have me eat straight sugar and drink milk for the next 24 hours. And what a glorious 24 hours it was.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    drank gasoline. Before, or after you were rip blazin' drunk? lol.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    ryanhorn wrote: »
    Aside: I was once traveling in a third world country and drank gasoline by accident because it was stored in a water bottle. Not having the same medical opportunities as they do here in the states, the doctor's response was to have me eat straight sugar and drink milk for the next 24 hours. And what a glorious 24 hours it was.
    wow
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Wrong. Sorry.

That's vague.

Thanks for the link and did watch Fed Up.

Fed Up is a well done piece created over like three years. Not all here are in agreement but from the science/medical aspect I found it to be helpful in getting out the word that those who make money selling us food can go heavy on the sugar to make it taste better. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    I try to stick to 25g or less of processed sugar a day plus any fruit i might eat, usually one piece, but i have never craved sugar. Many days I am well under that.

From what I learned last night on another thread I do not think sugar is addictive in a real sense but for some reason I craved it really bad until I told myself it was poison. :)

Glad you did not develop the craving. Getting off of sugar helped with weight loss because without it the drive to over eat faded.

• tigersword
    Options
    Wrong. Sorry.

That's vague.

Thanks for the link and did watch Fed Up.

Fed Up is a well done piece created over like three years. Not all here are in agreement but from the science/medical aspect I found it to be helpful in getting out the word that those who make money selling us food can go heavy on the sugar to make it taste better. :)

There's less sugar in food now then there was 10 years ago. The reason people disagree with Fed Up is because it should be called Made Up, because every part of the science/medical aspect that you found helpful was completely fabricated.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options

From what I learned last night on another thread I do not think sugar is addictive in a real sense but for some reason I craved it really bad until I told myself it was poison. :)

Glad you did not develop the craving. Getting off of sugar helped with weight loss because without it the drive to over eat faded.

So you crave straight sugar? If not, its just a craving for foods you love which tend to be hyperpalatable. Hell, i have been craving Outback for 2 weeks now. And that is steak and potatoes with just butter.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

So you crave straight sugar? If not, its just a craving for foods you love which tend to be hyperpalatable. Hell, i have been craving Outback for 2 weeks now. And that is steak and potatoes with just butter.

I should have said Junk Carbs laced with Sugar. :)

• kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options

The body is actually quite good at storing glucose as fat, except in diabetics. Carbohydrates are turned into glucose by the body, quickly for simple sugars, more slowly for complex carbohydrates and sugars that are eaten with fiber, fat, or protein. Sustained high levels of glucose in the blood causes damage to nerves and the vascular system, leading to blindness and necrosis. Fortunately the body uses insulin to prevent glucose from causing damage. Insulin causes the liver and muscles to take up glucose and store it. You can store about 100g of glucose in the liver and 500g glucose (in the form of glycogen) in the muscles. Once your immediate need for glucose is met (i.e. your brain will use 120g/day), and the storage room inside your muscles and liver is full, insulin causes any excess glucose to be stored in fat cells. You do not need to eat kilos of sugar in one sitting to gain fat from it. Even if you come to a meal competely starved, with your muscles and liver absolutely empty of glycogen, you will have excess glucose after 600 grams. And, of course, your body would never let you have absolutely no glucose, as it is necessary for your brain to keep running. When the body is starved of carbohydrate, it begins to make protein into glucose, breaking down muscle if it has no other source. Fat can also be made into glucose, but it is a slow process. The body can make fat out of any excess calories that it can digest (i.e. fat, protein, and carbohydrates, excluding insoluable fiber).
  • aintgotnoskinny
    Options
    Heh, my sugar count also is not what is 'recommended' but it is all natural sugars because I eat a lot of fruit so I guess its just fine as long as its not added sugar. (:
This discussion has been closed.