A Question About Sugar

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I had a chocolate cake last night because it was within my calorie allowance.

Not a single **** was given.

At some point one would have been - that's just biology!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    No, I don't have any medical conditions that are related to sugar. This is what usually happens - Tonight I have 530 calories left, but am over my sugar by 6. When my sugar is over I usually don't eat anything more because whatever is in the house (healthy or not healthy) has sugar as well and I'd go over even more. Because I'm still hungry I'm just wondering if I should ignore the sugar counts and finish my calories. Thank you so much for your replies!!

Ignore the sugar and eat your calories...
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - it has probably already been said, but unless you have a medical condition that would make you sensitive to carbs or sugar then there is no need to limit, restrict them, etc.

You can eat in a calorie deficit, eat sugar, and lose weight; consequently, you can eat in a calorie surplus, eliminate sugar, and gain weight...

so just keep eating in a deficit.

and in...for the sugar fear mongers...

in.....for "Sugars isn't the devil" quotes !!!
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those "sugar is the devil" people! I've really cut back on my sugar intake and always try to balance it with better options. There was an interesting article about sugar addiction in the nytimes today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/23/opinion/sugar-season-its-everywhere-and-addictive.html?ref=opinion
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    betharin wrote: »
    I'm one of those "sugar is the devil" people! I've really cut back on my sugar intake and always try to balance it with better options. There was an interesting article about sugar addiction in the nytimes today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/23/opinion/sugar-season-its-everywhere-and-addictive.html?ref=opinion

Opinion piece. Factually, sugar is not addictive, so we can just ignore that blog altogether.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »

Opinion piece. Factually, sugar is not addictive, so we can just ignore that blog altogether.

Sugar as a substance may not be addictive, but some studies have shown eating food in general can be.

And eating foods which give us a positive feeling. For some people this can be foods which are high in sugar.

So trying to restrict those particular foods may help people overcome their (possible) addiction to over eating food!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options

Sugar as a substance may not be addictive, but some studies have shown eating food in general can be.

And eating foods which give us a positive feeling. For some people this can be foods which are high in sugar.

So trying to restrict those particular foods may help people overcome their (possible) addiction to over eating food!

In all fairness, any food you enjoy can release dopamine and give you that happy feeling. It's not just limited to sugar.

OP, the goal should be aiming to get the most of your calories from nutrient dense foods but if you have a little extra and you want to keep your sanity, then it's ok to incorporate treats.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

In all fairness, any food you enjoy can release dopamine and give you that happy feeling. It's not just limited to sugar.

OP, the goal should be aiming to get the most of your calories from nutrient dense foods but if you have a little extra and you want to keep your sanity, then it's ok to incorporate treats.

OP - as post above has said - focus on nutrient dense foods. However if you've got your cals dialed in and you are in a calorie deficit - really don't sweat the small stuff - hit your protein and outside of that let the chips fall where they may.

If you do feel you are eating more sugar than you want, then go for it and cut back on it. Sugar is pretty much a neutral food - apart from energy for the body (which you can get from other foods) it does very little for you.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options

Steak gives me that feeling, but I don't overeat steak, now sugar on steak should take me over the edge, I'm sure of it, so I don't do that.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Steak gives me that feeling, but I don't overeat steak, now sugar on steak should take me over the edge, I'm sure of it, so I don't do that.

Do it - you won't regret it. I have that issue with fat - well I say fat....it's more like butter and garlic.
  • 2yorkiemama
    Options
    Hello!

Here is what I have learned....

A carb is a carb. Sugar is sugar whether it comes from fruit or ice cream. The only difference is that there are actually nutrients you get with eating fruit. (Duh) So fruit is good for you. Of course, not all fruit is created equal. Berries are your best bet. The darker the fruit the more antioxidants and lower on the glycemic index (less sugar). Conversely, bananas, mangoes, pineapple and the like have more sugar content.

Point: Overload ofsugar/carbs regardless of the source (s), means weight gain. Too much will store as fat. Our bodies use both carbs and fat for fuel. The key is not to "tandem fuel " HUGE (no pun intended) mistake. Rule: NEVER eat fat with carbs. Eat carbs and protein OR fat and protein.

Any sugar in our blood results in insulin release. If the cells in our muscles are full because of too much sugar, the "insulin truck" must take it somewhere else. Guess where that would be??? Fat cells!! Yikes!

There are no redeeming qualities in refined, processed sugar. Nor is there anything good to say about processed starches like white/wheat flours and most grains. These also turn into sugar in our bodies. Fact: Fat does not make you fat, sugar makes you fat. It is our number one enemy. Next in line is processed food. If it's in a box, bag, or package of any kind it is most likely processed in some way and also probably has lots of carbs which equate to sugar in our bodies. Fat is your friend....good, healthy God given fat from real whole foods...avocados, nuts, heavy cream in your coffee (my personal favorite), eggs WITH THE YOLKS!, and a good old juicy ribeye.

This is all very simplified and mostly paraphrased so I recommend the following reading for more expert and technical info... FUN AND EXTREMELY HELPFUL reads: Trim, Healthy Mama; Primal Blueprint; Eat the Yolks.

Hope this helps. MERRY CHRISTMAS!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Fact: Fat does not make you fat, sugar makes you fat

Fact: neither fat nor sugar make you fat, excess calories make you fat
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Hello!

A carb is a carb. Sugar is sugar whether it comes from fruit or ice cream. The only difference is that there are actually nutrients you get with eating fruit. (Duh) So fruit is good for you. Of course, not all fruit is created equal. Berries are your best bet. The darker the fruit the more antioxidants and lower on the glycemic index (less sugar). Conversely, bananas, mangoes, pineapple and the like have more sugar content.

Point: Overload ofsugar/carbs regardless of the source (s), means weight gain. Too much will store as fat. Our bodies use both carbs and fat for fuel. The key is not to "tandem fuel " HUGE (no pun intended) mistake. Rule: NEVER eat fat with carbs. Eat carbs and protein OR fat and protein.

Any sugar in our blood results in insulin release. If the cells in our muscles are full because of too much sugar, the "insulin truck" must take it somewhere else. Guess where that would be??? Fat cells!! Yikes!

There are no redeeming qualities in refined, processed sugar. Nor is there anything good to say about processed starches like white/wheat flours and most grains. These also turn into sugar in our bodies. Fact: Fat does not make you fat, sugar makes you fat. It is our number one enemy. Next in line is processed food. If it's in a box, bag, or package of any kind it is most likely processed in some way and also probably has lots of carbs which equate to sugar in our bodies. Fat is your friend....good, healthy God given fat from real whole foods...avocados, nuts, heavy cream in your coffee (my personal favorite), eggs WITH THE YOLKS!, and a good old juicy ribeye.

This is all very simplified and mostly paraphrased so I recommend the following reading for more expert and technical info... FUN AND EXTREMELY HELPFUL reads: Trim, Healthy Mama; Primal Blueprint; Eat the Yolks.

Nonsense. Carbs are rarely stored as fat. Look up DNL.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html/
    http://www.asbmb.org/asbmbtoday/asbmbtoday_article.aspx?id=15872&page_id=1

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Nonsense...
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Hello!

1. That's not a rule. Nor is there any science behind it.

2. Unless you have a metabolic condition where your body doesn't effectively utilize insulin, you don't need to worry about the release of insulin after you consume sugar or worry about fat being stored.

3. False. A caloric surplus makes you fat.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hello!

Any sugar in our blood results in insulin release.
    If the cells in our muscles are full because of too much sugar, the "insulin truck" must take it somewhere else. Guess where that would be??? Fat cells!! Yikes!

It'll be easier to address the bolded comments

The glycemic index is not based on sugar content. It is a comparison of how rapidly a person's blood sugar will peak with table sugar as the item all items are compared to (table sugar has a GI of 100). A GI greater than 100 means that the carbs are digested faster, a blood sugar spike is higher and occurs sooner, and a sudden drop or "crash" occurs. A GI lower than 100 means that the carbs are digested slower, the blood sugar peak is not as high compared to high-GI foods, and a more gradual drop occurs over a longer period of time. For comparison, one large apple has 25g of sugar and two cups of watermelon has 20g of sugar. The watermelon has less sugar, though it is higher on the GI scale compared to the apple.

And why should you never eat fat with carbs? I personally noticed that my blood sugar does not spike as much if I have a source of fat with my carbs (such as cheese and grapes) compared to if I eat the carbs alone. Both protein and fat delay glucose absorption into my bloodstream and gives my insulin more time to activate (rapid-acting insulin only begins working 15-20 minutes after injecting). Carbs are stored as fat if there is an excess in energy. Fat is stored as fat if there is an excess in energy. Protein is stored as fat if there is an excess in energy (though protein can convert to acetyl CoA and then to glucose if someone is eating very low carb -this is why people on ketosis diets cannot eat very high protein). An excess in energy is what makes a person fat, not where the energy is coming from.

Not all processed food contains a boatload of carbs. Butter is a "processed food" and it is not a carb (now I need to wait for someone to put in a Mean Girls gif).

For the "sugar in our blood stimulates the release of insulin", you are partially true, but there is a bit more than that. When blood glucose concentrations rise above a certain level, insulin is released. Insulin promotes the uptake of glucose into cells, storage of glucose into muscle as glycogen, and excess glucose into adipose tissue as fat. BUT, when blood glucose concentrations fall below a set point, glucagon is released. Glucagon is the opposite of insulin. It stimulates cells to release glucose and for the muscles to break down and release glycogen, which ultimately causes the body to burn some adipose fat.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Hello!

You learned this from either a low carb or ketosis blog, paleo website etc.......you listened, you read, you believed and your wrong. :)

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If I have to start splitting food groups and not eating this with that, I think I'd lose the plot!

I used to think sugar was bad because it was always included in copious amounts in high cal foods, so therefore assumed sugar was the culprit in weight gain. When I eat sugar laden foods they don't satisfy for long, so I go in search of more food. Bottom line imo is obviously more calories equal more weight gain, not the actual sugar content.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Fact: Fat does not make you fat, sugar makes you fat. It is our number one enemy. Next in line is processed food. If it's in a box, bag, or package of any kind it is most likely processed in some way and also probably has lots of carbs which equate to sugar in our bodies. Fat is your friend...

This is all very simplified and mostly paraphrased...

I cut it down rather than bolding just to take up less space...

1. Not a rule...
    2. Excess calories make you fat, no matter whether they come from sugar or something else. Sugar does not make you fat...
    3. Even cooking is a form of processing food. So saying processed foods are the devil, are you going to eat raw meat?....saying "highly processed foods" might have been a better way of phrasing it, but your point is still incorrect.
    4. Very simplified and paraphrased, but methinks you interpreted everything you read incorrectly and came up with some erroneous conclusions.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

OP - as post above has said - focus on nutrient dense foods. However if you've got your cals dialed in and you are in a calorie deficit - really don't sweat the small stuff - hit your protein and outside of that let the chips fall where they may.

If you do feel you are eating more sugar than you want, then go for it and cut back on it. Sugar is pretty much a neutral food - apart from energy for the body (which you can get from other foods) it does very little for you.

She was 500 calories short for the day because she was concerned about going over on sugar, which is automatically set ridiculously low by MFP. It seems her bigger concern should be on hitting calories, and she can worry about sugar if it causes problems with satiety or reaching her goals later.
This discussion has been closed.