A Question About Sugar

Options

Replies

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    For the record, I have an excellent diet - plenty of fish, meat, chicken, eggs, fruit, lots of different vegetables as we have our own garden. I just don't eat wheat. However, I do feel my salt intake is too low. My husband also eats the same as me but he eats a lot of salt.
    He eats bread and grains and is a Type 1 diabetic.

So two people, one person high salt, diabetic who eats grains and one person low salt who doesn't eat grains. Both get cramps. We take magnesium and eat bananas. At times my water intake could be better.

dbmata said If you don't have the ol salt tabs... quinine does well. What is quinine in? Gin and Tonic. Granted, it's just in the tonic, but the gin is a synergist, and blocks the standard quinine receptors, so the quinine is free to bind to our potassium receptors resulting in immediate cessation of cramping.

Only in instances of legitimate cramping though.

What is a "legitimate cramp"? Both have cramps that are extremely painful to the extent you feel you are going to past out. The pain in the muscle can still be felt for a couple of days later. Is that legitimate enough for you?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Everyone play nice or strikes will be handed out for violating rule 1.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Leena, generally cramping is a good indication or dehydration and/or an electrolyte issue. If common, i would get a blood test to see where your blood work comes out.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Thank you Psulemon, I will certainly look into the electrolyte issue and try and drink a lot more water and see if that helps.

Merry Christmas to you and I promise to be good. :)
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    betharin wrote: »
    I'm one of those "sugar is the devil" people! I've really cut back on my sugar intake and always try to balance it with better options. There was an interesting article about sugar addiction in the nytimes today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/23/opinion/sugar-season-its-everywhere-and-addictive.html?ref=opinion

Opinion piece. Factually, sugar is not addictive, so we can just ignore that blog altogether.

These recent empirical articles suggest that sugar is indeed addictive.

Ahmed, S. H., Guillem, K., & Vandaele, Y. (2013). Sugar addiction: pushing the drug-sugar analogy to the limit. Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition & Metabolic Care, 16(4), 434-439.

Colantuoni, C., Rada, P., McCarthy, J., Patten, C., Avena, N. M., Chadeayne, A., & Hoebel, B. G. (2002). Evidence that intermittent, excessive sugar intake causes endogenous opioid dependence. Obesity Research, 10(6), 478-488.

Fortuna, J. L. (2010). Sweet preference, sugar addiction and the familial history of alcohol dependence: shared neural pathways and genes. Journal of psychoactive drugs, 42(2), 147-151.

Several years ago, the only evidence of sugar addiction was shown within rats; however, more and more empirical evidence is coming to the forefront over the past several months that suggest that sugar addiction is in fact existent. Much like alcohol and drug addictions, it will vary from person to person; however, especially in that first article, much of the neurological research is hard to argue against.

Think about it like alcohol. Just because you personally are able to have a beer or two without having a dependence on it doesn't mean it's not an addictive substance. Other people can be addicted depending on their hardwiring and use of said substance.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    ryanhorn thanks for the links. My research of articles like these and others about what happens at the cellular level drives home how much we have to learn about the ways the human body works.

I had to cold turkey sugar in Oct to break free from it. All of my uncles on my dad's side suffered at one level or another from alcohol abuse which helped me escape that trap but I ended up abusing carbs for 40 years that was bad for me.

Growing up we did not keep sodas, candy and ice cream in the house due to $$$ issues. We grew our own food and killed our own hogs and beef. Jello was our go to desert.

I think our hardwiring is a fact that is real and should be factored into all health concerns like diet.
  • ryanhorn
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    ryanhorn wrote: »
    I'm one of those "sugar is the devil" people! I've really cut back on my sugar intake and always try to balance it with better options. There was an interesting article about sugar addiction in the nytimes today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/23/opinion/sugar-season-its-everywhere-and-addictive.html?ref=opinion

Opinion piece. Factually, sugar is not addictive, so we can just ignore that blog altogether.

Ahmed, S. H., Guillem, K., & Vandaele, Y. (2013). Sugar addiction: pushing the drug-sugar analogy to the limit. Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition & Metabolic Care, 16(4), 434-439.

Colantuoni, C., Rada, P., McCarthy, J., Patten, C., Avena, N. M., Chadeayne, A., & Hoebel, B. G. (2002). Evidence that intermittent, excessive sugar intake causes endogenous opioid dependence. Obesity Research, 10(6), 478-488.

Fortuna, J. L. (2010). Sweet preference, sugar addiction and the familial history of alcohol dependence: shared neural pathways and genes. Journal of psychoactive drugs, 42(2), 147-151.

Several years ago, the only evidence of sugar addiction was shown within rats; however, more and more empirical evidence is coming to the forefront over the past several months that suggest that sugar addiction is in fact existent. Much like alcohol and drug addictions, it will vary from person to person; however, especially in that first article, much of the neurological research is hard to argue against.

Think about it like alcohol. Just because you personally are able to have a beer or two without having a dependence on it doesn't mean it's not an addictive substance. Other people can be addicted depending on their hardwiring and use of said substance.

No it isn't. The latest large scale studies showed that there was no evidence of physiological or psychological addiction to sugar or any other food stuff, and that the issue is behavioural.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0149763414002140

This is a very interesting literature review.

I think the main point to be taken from their interpretation of past literature (I wouldn't necessarily call this article a study though. Maybe more of a meta analysis without the data?) is the fact that yes indeed the brain does indeed responds to sugar in the same way that the brain responds to many other addictive substances; HOWEVER, their argument which I believe is consistent with your argument is the idea that there are other external stimuli (such as memory, boredom, shame, guilt, habit, impulsivity, restraint, depression and anxiety) that may activate these neurological responses, not necessarily just the sugar itself.

Did I summarize your thoughts correctly?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

No it isn't. The latest large scale studies showed that there was no evidence of physiological or psychological addiction to sugar or any other food stuff, and that the issue is behavioural.

I think the main point to be taken from their interpretation of past literature (I wouldn't necessarily call this article a study though. Maybe more of a meta analysis without the data?) is the fact that yes indeed the brain does indeed responds to sugar in the same way that the brain responds to many other addictive substances; HOWEVER, their argument which I believe is consistent with your argument is the idea that there are other external stimuli (such as memory, boredom, shame, guilt, habit, impulsivity, restraint, depression and anxiety) that may activate these neurological responses, not necessarily just the sugar itself.

The brain responds to sugar in the exact same way it responds to every other food or pleasurable activity. Sex, exercise, sports, painting, listening to music, playing music, playing with a pet, all lead to a blast of endorphins by the brain, including dopamine. Sugar is really no different from anything else.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

The brain responds to sugar in the exact same way it responds to every other food or pleasurable activity. Sex, exercise, sports, painting, listening to music, playing music, playing with a pet, all lead to a blast of endorphins by the brain, including dopamine. Sugar is really no different from anything else.

I know not all agree with you but I too think sugar can be addicting if sex can be addicting as many claim.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    Everyone play nice or strikes will be handed out for violating rule 1.
    Isn't rule 1 "Never talk about fight club"?

Isn't one of the rules something about making accounts to impersonate others, like Gale?

I think if someone's threatening to hand out strikes, that should be included in said threat. ;)
  • dubble13
    dubble13 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    From a nutrition aspect, I try to limit my intake of added sugars from processed foods and such. I don't count sugars from fruits and other natural sources. I watched a really interesting documentary yeaterday though called Fed Up. According to that, sugar calories (all sugars, natural or processed) aren't treated by your body the same way and are more readily stored as fat instead of used as energy. It is worth watching if you would like to learn more about sugar in your diet.
  • ryanhorn
    Options

The main point is that while sugar's effect on some aspects of neurological function is similar - but not the same - as that of substances which are known to be addictive, there is no evidence to suggest that it or any other food substance is addictive in humans.

There is, however, strong evidence that overeating, whether sugar based or not, is driven by behavioural factors.

Or, in other words, if we somehow banned sugar tomorrow, it would make little if any difference to the current obesity rates, as people would merely substitute other foods for the sugary ones they eat now.

This is an interesting way of looking at it. Thank you for sharing :)
  • ryanhorn
    Options
    While there seems to be much debate here about whether or not sugar is addictive or not, I think we can all agree that too much of anything isn't a good thing whether that be sugar, protein, alcohol, or anything else.

A former nutritionist shared an awesome quote with me (which I don't agree entirely with, but I think it makes a good point): "There's no such things as unhealthy foods, just unhealthy quantities."
  • dubble13
    dubble13 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    dubble13 wrote: »
    From a nutrition aspect, I try to limit my intake of added sugars from processed foods and such. I don't count sugars from fruits and other natural sources. I watched a really interesting documentary yeaterday though called Fed Up. According to that, sugar calories (all sugars, natural or processed) aren't treated by your body the same way and are more readily stored as fat instead of used as energy. It is worth watching if you would like to learn more about sugar in your diet.
    Wrong. Sorry.

That's vague.
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/when-dieting-not-all-calo/
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if sugar is clinically or chemically addicting, but I do know that once I stopped eating simple carbs (and therefore sugar) for a few weeks, my cravings for and evening binge-like behavior on carby snacks (crackers, tortilla chips, Goldfish crackers) completed disappeared. I feel more even-keeled during the day and am not always thinking about my next meal.

It has changed my behavior in a major way. And I've lost 20# because I feel more satiated on protein and fats, so it's easier to sustain a caloric deficit.

Just my personal experience. YMMV.
  • ryanhorn
    Options
    Wrong. Sorry.

That's vague.
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/when-dieting-not-all-calo/

Thank you for sharing this article! Christopher Wanjek, the author, has had some very interesting stuff since graduating from Harvard.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    What he's done is promote a lot of woo woo woo fakey fake shizz.

Just like the mockumentary, Fed Up. I just wish Christopher Guest had directed it.
This discussion has been closed.