Funny fitness misconceptions by people just starting out

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    The people who claim they can't eat anywhere near 1200 calories b/c they get too full. Do they not realize they were most likely eating way above that to gain weight in the first place?

bugs me when people keep saying this. when someone changes their diet to include healthy nutritionally dense foods with less calories and cut out the carbs, it IS more difficult to get to 1200 calories. you get full on less. just a fact. why does this bother people so much? they aren't making it up. sure if they put the crap back into their diet, it will be super easy to reach 1200 calories and more, but that isn't the best idea.
    Plus new dieters are hyperfocused on food and calories so that also makes it harder to eat more. Being aware of your food rather than eating mindlessly makes most people satisfied with less, and logging makes people very aware.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    LOL, people defending the whole muscle weighs more than fat crowd are cute.

Tell me again how man and dinosaur lived together?
  • dbmata
    but maybe it's rocket surgery. Yes. Rocket Surgery.
  • dbmata
    herrspoons wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »

Surgery with rockets. Intriguing and possibly very messy.

They usually keep it to prostate surgeries and colonoscopies.

Rectum? Damn near killed 'em.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    "Muscle weighs more than fat." I hate when people say that. Since when does 5lbs not equal 5lbs? Weight is not same as density.

Semantics. The point of "muscle weighs more than fat" isn't that "a pound isn't a pound." That would be ridiculous. The point is that it doesn't take as much muscle (by volume) to make a pound as it does fat.
    Trying to argue that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat is overcomplicating the issue. No one would pitch a fit if I said iron weighs more than jello.

Of course, a pound of water and a pound of whipped cream weigh the same but a gallon of water and a gallon of whipped cream do not. Likewise, a square inch of muscle is heavier than a square inch of fat.

And yes, weight and density are not the same. Nor are density and mass the same. Nor are mass and volume the same. However, density does determine the amount of mass in a given volume which determines the weight of the object/material. Thus weight is dependent on density.

Whenever I see someone argue this point, I think, "If you want to sound dumb, by all means, keep saying that muscle weighs more than fat." *sigh*

And I always think, "If you want to sound dumb, by all means, say that a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat...because, duh. We all know that."

But seriously, muscle is more dense, thus it weighs more per square inch. Three square inches of muscle weighs more than three square inches of fat. That's exactly what everyone means when they say muscle weighs more than fat and everyone knows that that's what they mean.

lol.

It's dangerous to assume people are as smart or smarter than they claim to be.

Yes.

I wonder - are we supposed to assume that by square inch, he/she meant cubic inch as well?

This whole argument reminds me of a discussion I had with an employee of mine. Yes. I do, in fact, understand your e-mail. But when you send me (or anyone else) something like, "Y U no be here R U away", you give the impression that you're uneducated, lazy, or a kid, not a hard worker in your mid-thirties with a Bachelor's degree and more than 15 yrs work experience.
  • chasingpavements24
    chasingpavements24 Posts: 107 Member
    edited December 2014
    "Muscle weighs more than fat." I hate when people say that. Since when does 5lbs not equal 5lbs? Weight is not same as density.

Semantics. The point of "muscle weighs more than fat" isn't that "a pound isn't a pound." That would be ridiculous. The point is that it doesn't take as much muscle (by volume) to make a pound as it does fat.
    Trying to argue that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat is overcomplicating the issue. No one would pitch a fit if I said iron weighs more than jello.

Of course, a pound of water and a pound of whipped cream weigh the same but a gallon of water and a gallon of whipped cream do not. Likewise, a square inch of muscle is heavier than a square inch of fat.

And yes, weight and density are not the same. Nor are density and mass the same. Nor are mass and volume the same. However, density does determine the amount of mass in a given volume which determines the weight of the object/material. Thus weight is dependent on density.

Yes, totally agree. It's just semantics and it's somehow become this incredibly silly thing that MFP people use to show how intelligent they are. If I said "a piece of feather and a brick weigh the same", I bet the same people would tell me how crazy I was. OF COURSE, 1 lb of anything is equal to 1 lb of anything. That doesn't change the fact that density = mass/volume. If muscle is more dense than fat when volume is constant, mathematically it stands that muscle has a higher mass when volume is constant, as well. All three measurements are interdependent.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited December 2014
    ndj1979 wrote: »

its really hard to get to 1200 if you are having one egg for breakfast, soup for lunch, and fish and some rice for dinner….

I imagine so, and then on top of that they claim they're full. I find it really hard to believe. I feel like saying "Do what you were doing before but slightly less" lol.

They are full. They aren't lying. If they do what they did before, they wouldn't eat slightly less. They wouldn't be able to control it.
    tigersword wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Spend a week eating nothing but the healthiest foods (also low sodium, no trans or sat fats) and see how easy it is to reach your goal every day.
    If you aren't reaching a healthy calorie goal, then those foods aren't healthy.

Or maybe the goal number is wrong. Full is full. I would trust my body that it is full and it worked well for me to lose weight and keep it off. It isn't exactly natural to log calories in the first place to hit some goal.
  • Aviva92
    tigersword wrote: »
    Spend a week eating nothing but the healthiest foods (also low sodium, no trans or sat fats) and see how easy it is to reach your goal every day.

Define
    Are you asking what healthy eating is? http://cdn1.sph.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/30/2013/04/HEPApr2013.jpg

Follow that, but also keep your sodium around 1200 and eliminate trans and sat fats...and instead of limiting white pasta and bread, eliminate them. Do it for a week, then come back and report how well you did and whether it was difficult to meet your goals for a week.

An even bigger challenge would be a year, but it cannot see anyone doing it without needing to do it.

I think a week would give you a small idea of how difficult it would be for a year, though.

No, I was asking what you define as healthy eating since you said no saturated fats are allowed. There are plenty of nutrient dense foods that contain saturated fat.

I also maintain on 3600 calories, so I don't think I'll be doing that. I'm perfectly content hitting my micros for the day with 2000+ calories left to spare.

Well, if you ever want to experience having difficulty meeting a calorie goal, follow that diet.

If you can't reach a reasonable calorie goal on it, then it isn't a healthy diet.

Also, why such low sodium? You can eat far more sodium than that and still be healthy.

Or what is claimed to be a reasonable calorie goal is wrong.
  • Aviva92
    The people who claim they can't eat anywhere near 1200 calories b/c they get too full. Do they not realize they were most likely eating way above that to gain weight in the first place?

bugs me when people keep saying this. when someone changes their diet to include healthy nutritionally dense foods with less calories and cut out the carbs, it IS more difficult to get to 1200 calories. you get full on less. just a fact. why does this bother people so much? they aren't making it up. sure if they put the crap back into their diet, it will be super easy to reach 1200 calories and more, but that isn't the best idea.
    Plus new dieters are hyperfocused on food and calories so that also makes it harder to eat more. Being aware of your food rather than eating mindlessly makes most people satisfied with less, and logging makes people very aware.

Yep
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member

*breath of fresh air*

thank you.

i DO say muscle weighs more than fat, because it does. if two people have similar height and girth measurements, but one weighs way more than the other, it's because the heavier one has more lean body mass than the lighter one. it's one of the ways you can identify "skinny fat" people. the skinny fat people lack lean body mass.
  • mykaylis
    fatcity66 wrote: »

Whenever I see someone argue this point, I think, "If you want to sound dumb, by all means, keep saying that muscle weighs more than fat." *sigh*

And I always think, "If you want to sound dumb, by all means, say that a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat...because, duh. We all know that."

But seriously, muscle is more dense, thus it weighs more per square inch. Three square inches of muscle weighs more than three square inches of fat. That's exactly what everyone means when they say muscle weighs more than fat and everyone knows that that's what they mean.

that's also true, except it's per cubic inch, not square inch.

anyone who says muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, and argues about it til they're blue in the face, need to back off and realize there are different ways of looking at things, and depending on which direction you're coming from, IT'S ALL TRUE. muscle weighs more than fat (per given volume - which is what i look at, because i can see if a person is shrinking, so if they complain the scale isn't moving, well.. muscle weighs more than fat. you can change fat a lot, and gain muscle a little, and you'll shrink even if the scale is exactly the same).

and, a pound of muscle is smaller than a pound of fat.
    and, the muscle of a cow is healthy to eat and the fat isn't particularly.
  • mykaylis
    herrspoons wrote: »

Surgery with rockets. Intriguing and possibly very messy.

They usually keep it to prostate surgeries and colonoscopies.

Rectum? Damn near killed 'em.

funniest thing i've read all day. thanks! :) have a great day everyone.
  • Aviva92
    edited December 2014
    this argument about muscle weighing more than fat is ridiculous. people should quit thinking they are smarter than everyone else for poking holes in that statement. they aren't. everyone knows that a pound is the same as a pound. if someone actually said this to me irl, i wouldn't want anything to do with them. arrogance with nothing to back it up is an irritating quality.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    so does a pound of unicorn muscle weigh more than a pound of unicorn fat????
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member

this argument about muscle weighing more than fat is ridiculous. people should quit thinking they are smarter than everyone else for poking holes in that statement. they aren't. everyone knows that a pound is the same as a pound. if someone actually said this to me irl, i wouldn't want anything to do with them. arrogance with nothing to back it up is an irritating quality.
    It honestly reminds me of dweebs from high school who would ask the time, and if you said 4:00pm they'd laugh and snort and go "actually, it's 3:59:45, dur hur hur"
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    LOL, people defending the whole muscle weighs more than fat crowd are cute.

Tell me again how man and dinosaur lived together?

LOL @ constantly inserting dinosaur talk into a weight loss discussion. No one is biting.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    edited December 2014

They are full. They aren't lying. If they do what they did before, they wouldn't eat slightly less. They wouldn't be able to control it.

I was being flippant. My point is, they are capable of eating more if they try or at least start incorporating some calorie dense foods. It's hard to believe that someone who was eating 3k+ calories a day and being sedentary would struggle with the caloric intake of a child, unless they've developed some sort of medical condition or had gastric bypass surgery.
  • Aviva92

I was being flippant. My point is, they are capable of eating more if they try or at least start incorporating some calorie dense foods. It's hard to believe that someone who was eating 3k+ calories a day and being sedentary would struggle with the caloric intake of a child, unless they've developed some sort of medical condition or had gastric bypass surgery.

I'm telling you that you're wrong. It might be hard to believe if it didn't happen to you, but you are not the same as everyone else. Of course they could force themselves to eat more, but it's a silly thing to do. Since this seems to come up repeatedly, maybe just MAYBE it's okay for them to listen to their bodies and eat until they are full. They wouldn't even know they were undereating if not for logging it, so maybe the bottom line is, they really are not undereating at all.
  • CharleneMarie723
    CharleneMarie723 Posts: 98 Member
    1) Walking and running burn the same amount of calories per mile.
    2) Don't drink or eat dairy.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    mykaylis wrote: »
    i DO say muscle weighs more than fat, because it does. if two people have similar height and girth measurements, but one weighs way more than the other, it's because the heavier one has more lean body mass than the lighter one. it's one of the ways you can identify "skinny fat" people. the skinny fat people lack lean body mass.
    Except the only time I ever hear this said is when overweight people have been working out for, like, two days and all of a sudden they're gaining weight because they're "putting on muscle."