Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Branstin wrote: »
    I recently switched to PF and love it. This new one has 4 racks, 4 bench presses, along with a host of other cardio and strength training equipment. Since it is a month to month commitment, try it for a month.

Have you lifted there? Have you lifted there with some semblance of intensity? Did you get lunked?

Yes, I lift with intensity and no, I do not get lunked.

interesting, ever fail a deadlift and drop it?

Nope!

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    I recently switched to PF and love it. This new one has 4 racks, 4 bench presses, along with a host of other cardio and strength training equipment. Since it is a month to month commitment, try it for a month.

Have you lifted there? Have you lifted there with some semblance of intensity? Did you get lunked?

dbmata,
    not all PF's are created equal.
    Not all of them set off the alarm.
    I deadlifted at one of the ones I went to and dropped it, grunted, and never got the alarm set off.

I've been to a half dozen different PFs and I've never heard the alarm

I've never heard it either. A guy near me a while back dropped pretty heavy weights and nothing happened. No alarm. No staff coming over.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

dbmata,
    I deadlifted at one of the ones I went to and dropped it, grunted, and never got the alarm set off.

I'm asking a specific question to someone. Thanks.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    My Planet Fitness has free weights including bench press and a squat rack, and plenty of plates. I suggest going in and seeing for yourself what yours has. Works for me and is cheap.

Which again, reiterates the point that not all PF's are the same. The equipment that they have depends on the one who owns that particular franchise. I wish my PF had a bench press and squat rack but it's fairly small and space is really limited. I heard a rumor that they were going to buy the store that's for sale right next door. I got excited thinking that they'd be able to knock down the wall between, move the cardio machines there, expand the weight area but it doesn't look like that's true.

Exactly!
    I went to one in CT that had a bunch of benches and some smith machines.
    Another on in NH that had a cable tower and dumbbells.
    And the one I belong to in Maine has no smith machine or benches.

(all of that is in addition to weight stack machines and dumbbells)

Sounds like the one in the town I go to.

I worked out at the PF in Providence once and that one was HUGE. It had squat racks, Olympic bars, a ton of weight plates (you have to go hunting all over the world for weight plates at my PF), two towers if I recall correctly. It was pretty stacked. The thing is though that the same person who owns the one that I go to also owns the PF in another town and I heard that one is way better than the one I go to. A lot more equipment (I think again, squat racks, olympic bars etc.) and way cleaner. Makes zero sense to me.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

dbmata,

Yeah so?

You interject everywhere all the time.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge exerciser at this point; I focus mainly on nutrition and when I do exercise, it's mostly cardio, so PF is great for me. I love the ellipticals and recumbent bicycles and then I like all of the weight machines- I don't need free weights or anything fancy. totally worth the $10 to me.
  • goddessofawesome
    edited December 2014
    Options

dbmata,

You're talking to a wall.

My PF is the same. I've dead lifted in front of the owner AND the manager and never got yelled at or an alarm pulled. They rarely pull the alarm. Again, the equipment, the rules, everything depends on who owns the franchise. I wear tank tops with spaghetti straps and short shorts and have never been kicked out. I did have one of the managers laugh at my shorts, thinking they were a joke (they were small and a crazy pink zebra print).
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    With everyone I'll chime in my experience too..... dress code

I have wore
    1) 5" compression shorts with
    2) a open back T-shirt and just a sports bra inside.
    that probably as per what I read in the News - PF facility would have asked me to leave the gym but honestly nothing happened.

Go figure it out. It confused me as well.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    My Planet Fitness has free weights including bench press and a squat rack, and plenty of plates. I suggest going in and seeing for yourself what yours has. Works for me and is cheap.

Which again, reiterates the point that not all PF's are the same. The equipment that they have depends on the one who owns that particular franchise. I wish my PF had a bench press and squat rack but it's fairly small and space is really limited. I heard a rumor that they were going to buy the store that's for sale right next door. I got excited thinking that they'd be able to knock down the wall between, move the cardio machines there, expand the weight area but it doesn't look like that's true.

Exactly!

I worked out at the PF in Providence once and that one was HUGE. It had squat racks, Olympic bars, a ton of weight plates (you have to go hunting all over the world for weight plates at my PF), two towers if I recall correctly. It was pretty stacked. The thing is though that the same person who owns the one that I go to also owns the PF in another town and I heard that one is way better than the one I go to. A lot more equipment (I think again, squat racks, olympic bars etc.) and way cleaner. Makes zero sense to me.

One of the ones I went to in CT, the owner owned 5 of them.
    I visited 3 of the 5 they owned. All three were different. One was older and more dated than the rest. And one that I didn't go was recently completely redone
  • goddessofawesome
    edited December 2014
    Options

Exactly!

I visited 3 of the 5 they owned. All three were different. One was older and more dated than the rest. And one that I didn't go was recently completely redone

Sounds like you went to the Torrington one. And I think that is the guy that owns them all.

ETA: Like the hat. I have a funny Giraffe one that I love to wear.
  • kimekakes28
    kimekakes28 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I joined Planet Fitness about a year ago. It was a new one in my area. Lots of cardio machines and a very good size free weights area (that seems to be hit or miss at some Planet Fitness locations). They also have two rooms to do ab/floor work or if our someone like me, prefer to do your free weight work in a little more private setting lol. I enjoyed it, but once I moved cancelled my membership because it was too far from my new place. If you want classes and all that other stuff, Planet Fitness isn't the gym for you.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Everyone really hates them, and I see why. I thought sometimes people were trying to get attention by the crazy things you read in the news, but it's kinda true. We are in the process of moving out of the state but locked ourselves into a contract at one in the new area we are moving to. Was told they only go up to 60lb. weights, and in place of squat racks are smith machines. I wish it was a month to month membership place. I forsee my husband and I going there for about 3 months, then buying ourselves out of the contract and going elsewhere. Disappointed, but I should have called first...or at least toured the place.
  • dbmata
    Options

dbmata,

Yeah so?

You interject everywhere all the time.
    That was me nicely saying that your attempt to answer my question holds no value as an answer to my query in this particular discussion. I was asking them their experience, not asking them for you to attempt telling me what a PF experience should be.

While generally, I'm sure I find your contributions valuable, not in this particular case. Excepting of course if I inadvertently asked you the same query as well and forgot. If that's the case, then that's a goat of a different coat pattern.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

I have wore
    that probably as per what I read in the News - PF facility would have asked me to leave the gym but honestly nothing happened.

that happens here in Brooklyn. They give you a XXL tshirt to wear if they think your body looks too good and might embarrass others.

Also - I quit my membership when I came in and saw signs posted everywhere that said NO DEADLIFTING PERMITTED.

• 11mpbg
    11mpbg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :) Just joined on the 21st with a $99/year (White Card) coupon. I'm a BIG GIRL so am easily intimidated by machines and onlookers. Staff is well acquainted with every machine and doesn't mind stopping to show you how or orient you to the in's and outs. Locker room is CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN, as are all of the machines. Folks are available by appointment for no extra charge, to help you make a plan for your fitness and they offer lots of classes. Because I'm just starting, I do cardio one day, and strength the next, M-F. Although our location is relatively large (lots of cardio and two of each of the regular strength machines, plus barbells and free weights, lifting, lots of stuff I can't even comprehend now), it started in a very small freight box, in the parking lot. Literally, it was a freight train box (the kind that also fits on overseas ships). I never saw inside it then, but people were always in and out. There couldn't have been much, but now it's this large, well lit, beautiful location that I truly appreciate. Would like to hear what you think after your visit. GOOD LUCK!!!!! B)
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

Exactly!

Sounds like you went to the Torrington one. And I think that is the guy that owns them all.

ETA: Like the hat. I have a funny Giraffe one that I love to wear.

Never went to the Torrington one.

The ones mentioned are the North Haven, East Haven, Woodbridge line, Hamden, Brandford chain. (East Haven was dated, Hamden was redone). But I did go to the Bristol one which I believe is owned by the Torrington guy - thats the one I deadlifted at.
  • cmoorofum
    cmoorofum Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I belong there been going for abt a year now/ Love the massage bed and chair more than anything else tho! As far as the equipment it is new and clean but I think its time for me to advance to a diff gym. I am not a beginner anymore.
  • dbmata
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »

I have wore

that happens here in Brooklyn. They give you a XXL tshirt to wear if they think your body looks too good and might embarrass others.

Also - I quit my membership when I came in and saw signs posted everywhere that said NO DEADLIFTING PERMITTED.
    So that news bit about PF kicking someone out for reasonable workout wear was legit?

That's like what, fit shaming?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »

I have wore

So that news bit about PF kicking someone out for reasonable workout wear was legit?

That's like what, fit shaming?

SOME pf's are nothing but fit shaming. I realize that major metropoli like where I live have extreme versions of normal things, but yeah. The ones near me are geared toward larger people and those who have made major progress are encouraged to move on to gyms that are better suited to them, so as to not intimidate other members. You can totally stick around at the gym if you want to, but you cant do the lifting weights and you can wear super tight or revealing workout shirts. Legs are ok for tight workout pants, but the torso has to be loose.

I only went there for a little while, and I was bigger back then, so I was already wearing a big t and workout pants, but the place was very much centered around giving larger people a place to workout, where they dont have to deal with anyone fit or at a better place than them, in which they will have a hard time progressing enough to leave the gym. It's all about money catered to a specific demographic.

Not everyone who joins PF is in that demographic (overweight individuals who enjoy fit-shaming and putting in minimal effort and staying in their safe zone) but it's the ones they target.

So there are a lot of people at those gyms up here who do look down on fit people.

That said - it seems to be limited to the women.

Guys of all shapes and sizes workout in the 'weight rooms' there and never seem to care or judge or point fingers or worry about being intimidated.

Just women.

this is all only my own personal experiences and experiences of my girlfriends, not some general statement that says THIS IS PLANET FITNESS EVERYWHERE.

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    11mpbg wrote: »
    :) Just joined on the 21st with a $99/year (White Card) coupon. I'm a BIG GIRL so am easily intimidated by machines and onlookers. Staff is well acquainted with every machine and doesn't mind stopping to show you how or orient you to the in's and outs. Locker room is CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN, as are all of the machines. Folks are available by appointment for no extra charge, to help you make a plan for your fitness and they offer lots of classes. Because I'm just starting, I do cardio one day, and strength the next, M-F. Although our location is relatively large (lots of cardio and two of each of the regular strength machines, plus barbells and free weights, lifting, lots of stuff I can't even comprehend now), it started in a very small freight box, in the parking lot. Literally, it was a freight train box (the kind that also fits on overseas ships). I never saw inside it then, but people were always in and out. There couldn't have been much, but now it's this large, well lit, beautiful location that I truly appreciate. Would like to hear what you think after your visit. GOOD LUCK!!!!! B)

I don't know you but - You are such a sweetheart. You go girl. I love the way you wrote the post.
    Best of Luck to you.