Banned phrases for 2015

Options

Replies

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Cleaning eating is a derogatory phrase.

This never fails to get me chuckling at the pettiness of it all. And I say this as someone who doesn't use the term "clean".
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    -Posts alternative recipe to traditional pasta dish, but still uses the original name of said dish-

"THAT'S NOT REAL SPAGHETTI/LASAGNA/PIZZA, AND MY DEAD ITALIAN GRANDMOTHER WOULD BE ROLLING IN HER GRAVE"
    That bugs me, too. Also, "that's not beer". Yes, a young man in maintenance can drink stronger beer and eat more pasta and larger burritos than small, dieting women. It doesn't really seem like much of a bragging point but I guess we all have to find things we're proud of.

I personally would prefer to eat less fudge than I used to, but still eat a bit of fudge rather than a 'light' substitute.

But it really, really pees me off when someone posts a recipe or deliberates about what snack to spend their spare calories on, a 6ft tall man who's bulking remarks 'I ate a bucket of chicken and 2 tubs of lard flavoured ice cream today' or 'I ate your daily calorie allowance for breakfast lololol'. Thanks for useful information, ballbag.

I imagine dieters commenting on the weight gain section that they wish they could eat as much as them are annoying though.

However, not all of us can work a whole stout-infused shredded pig into our calories for the day.

This.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    neffme wrote: »
    I hate both lifestyle and diet. What word should I use though?!

Because people have such an aversion to the word "diet", people actually are taught to use "food choices" and "foods you eat" for the noun version and talk about "losing weight" instead of the verb.

I always thought it was quite silly, that it was addressed for no reason, because nobody would actually have an aversion to hearing the word "diet." How wrong I was! People FREAK OUT about the word. They really can't stand hearing it and it really does upset them. If you don't want to freak people out, you have to think of it as some kind of horrific thing, like they do and use euphemisms, lol.

If you say "diet" (and I still do, it's a hard habit to break), you absolutely will cause people to get twitchy and start wigging out. A lot of people really cannot even hear the word, lol. Negative connotations. For realz.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    loose, lose, loss. All three, banned. Boom. Many a problems solved.
  • smittybuilt19
    edited December 2014
    Options
    oops
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Goin4goal wrote: »
    So geez, what will we have left to say??????? lol

Sensible calorie deficit, moderate exercise. Those should work.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    loose, lose, loss. All three, banned. Boom. Many a problems solved.

I guess without those words than explanation will be better given. I decrease my weight by x pounds. See no confusion since so many people today have said loose instead of lose in other threads.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    "Kale" anything, I'm eating kale in my salad right now and trust, it might be uber healthy, but the spines are gross and if you get too much in one bite, it's bitter as f$&k.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »
    Loose. You do not loose weight. You LOSE weight.

Loose = not firmly fastened or fixed in place.
    Lose = to experience a reduction in something such as weight or heat

I agree... No "loosing" weight. It's a word crime.

youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

I feel like anyone who needs to lose 50 lbs.+ can use the word "journey" if it helps them understand it's going to take a while. Using that word is not going to hurt anyone (not like "detox," "cleanse," etc.), even if it may be annoying to you.

You mean...
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    "Lift heavy"

uh ok... are you banning "RUN FAR"? How about "PEDAL FAST"?

No, I thought this thread was about phrases we're tired of seeing over and over again.

yeah... banning their discussion.

you want discussion of lifting relatively heavy weights banned from MFP, then I want Run Far and Pedal Fast banned as well.

you had a great idea, Im continuing it through the rest of the things.

let's also ban "PR".

and "Challenge Yourself!"

• dbmata
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    "Journey" - yeah, it's not. Want a journey, take a step onto the road, it's a dangerous thing and you never know where it will take you.

How about we kill off a couple concepts:
    Empathy
    Validation
    Difficult
    Can't
    Laziness

Eh, help me, I can't work out because I'm so spazzy that I can't do a jumping jack right.
    Stow it, go do it, you'll get better at it as you do it. I didn't spring forth from the womb as awesome as I am, it took a *little* bit o' practice and bourbon.
    Stow it? OK, Archie.

(This probably goes without saying, but I think you're wrong about most of that. That's not why I quoted it, to have a big fight. At the risk of sounding "validating", you are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. I just couldn't let "Stow it" go, hard as I tried.)

Stow it is an old code I have. It's generally the last thing I'll say to someone that has pushed me to the point of going upside their head. It's the last chance they get to course correct.

Two people on Sunday received that statement from me, and they both course corrected. lol.

However, online it's simply because I can't say "stfu you wimp", so instead I use stow it. So yeah, anyone who sits there and blah blah blahs about being spazzy and can't do something. They can shut up, put their big kid pants on, and do it. Because if you don't do it you won't ever get it.
  • dbmata
    Options
    ...not all of us can work a whole stout-infused shredded pig into our calories for the day.

I need this on a t-shirt something fierce.
    With "ball bag" lol.
    Ball bag is a good one, I want to see Dom wearing that.
  • yoovie
    edited December 2014
    Options
    neffme wrote: »
    I hate both lifestyle and diet. What word should I use though?!

dietstyle.

• yoovie
    Options

someone banned deficits a couple pages ago. you have to eat OVER your calorie goal from now on because it has been declared.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    "Journey" - yeah, it's not. Want a journey, take a step onto the road, it's a dangerous thing and you never know where it will take you.

Empathy
    Validation
    Difficult
    Can't
    Laziness

Eh, help me, I can't work out because I'm so spazzy that I can't do a jumping jack right.
    Stow it, go do it, you'll get better at it as you do it. I didn't spring forth from the womb as awesome as I am, it took a *little* bit o' practice and bourbon.
    Stow it? OK, Archie.

(This probably goes without saying, but I think you're wrong about most of that. That's not why I quoted it, to have a big fight. At the risk of sounding "validating", you are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. I just couldn't let "Stow it" go, hard as I tried.)

Stow it is an old code I have. It's generally the last thing I'll say to someone that has pushed me to the point of going upside their head. It's the last chance they get to course correct.

Two people on Sunday received that statement from me, and they both course corrected. lol.

However, online it's simply because I can't say "stfu you wimp", so instead I use stow it. So yeah, anyone who sits there and blah blah blahs about being spazzy and can't do something. They can shut up, put their big kid pants on, and do it. Because if you don't do it you won't ever get it.

shots fired..

someone call 911
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Empathy
    Validation
    Difficult
    Can't
    Laziness

Stow it? OK, Archie.

It's not a terrible phrase. Two words. One syllable each. Very fitting and won't get you asterisked out. :)

But I could not help from reading it with that Archie tone, lol. Don't think I've ever heard anyone else use the phrase until today. :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I like lifestyle better then diet, diet to me means quick weight loss scam, like "______ Diet", as lifestyle to me means it is forever.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options

someone banned deficits a couple pages ago. you have to eat OVER your calorie goal from now on because it has been declared.

Darn. How bout negative surplus? Huh, huh, that should be a good work around.

• dbmata
    Options

Empathy
    Validation
    Difficult
    Can't
    Laziness

Stow it? OK, Archie.

It's not a terrible phrase. Two words. One syllable each. Very fitting and won't get you asterisked out. :)

But I could not help from reading it with that Archie tone, lol. Don't think I've ever heard anyone else use the phrase until today. :)

I think it's a hold over from my grandpa. I picked up more than a few behaviors, I've noticed. He was the kind of guy that had tattoos on his fingers. I observed much, too bad I didn't learn to work on an engine.

Archie Bunker was an interesting character. Embodied old racial intolerances and was constantly washed over in a tsunami of progress. Then you had Edith trying to keep the piece and bridge understanding.
  • dbmata
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Empathy
    Validation
    Difficult
    Can't
    Laziness

Stow it? OK, Archie.

shots fired..

someone call 911

lol, one of them told me they were going to key my truck.