Anyone else going sugar free in 2015?

Options

Replies

• acceann
    Options
    I don't think going sugar free will do you any good.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    This may be splitting hairs, but I see a difference between "reduce or replace" that the USDA says versus eating smaller quantities of whatever. Meaning, the USDA says one should limit or remove higher calorie foods, whereas on here it's limit overall calorie consumption, not necessarily fromhigher calorie foods.

Either way, this is well beyond the initial point I was trying to make. In this country, people are simply not conditioned to think that there is no such thing as healthy or unhealthy food.

Because that is how people are successful… by eating what they love in moderation.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    This may be splitting hairs, but I see a difference between "reduce or replace" that the USDA says versus eating smaller quantities of whatever. Meaning, the USDA says one should limit or remove higher calorie foods, whereas on here it's limit overall calorie consumption, not necessarily fromhigher calorie foods.

I think you're reading a lot in on both sides of that and yes, splitting hairs.

Moderation means not having everything all at once. I don't have pizza and a burger and a few beers and a slice of cheesecake. I might have one of those things in a day and limit the others to conserve calories for other things.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I went sugar-free in 2014. And 2013.

I'll just have to suffer with my 50-lb loss and my increase in medical stat quality.

Good luck to the rest of you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I'll just have to suffer with my 50-lb loss and my increase in medical stat quality.

No sugar? At all?
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

No sugar? At all?

As little as I could get away with. Generally less than 20g per day.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

No sugar? At all?

So ... not sugar free.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not going (added) sugar free this year. I have to admit that I am suspecting I would see some health improvement (improved allergies, less sensitivity with my digestive system), it would be hard for me to completely remove it from my diet. There are certainly ways I could reduce my consumption, however.
    Another thing, I certainly don't need to reduce my calorie consumption, so removing it would require me to find ways to increase calories.
  • nprins56
    nprins56 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have found that I have fewer cravings for foods I shouldn't eat if I stay away from refined sugars and wheat. I eat fruit every day and occasionally use honey to make ice cream. My grand kids love ice cream and I make it with farm fresh raw cream and honey. I don't know if it would be possible for me to stop all sugars because I love fruit. I have lost over the past few years about 90 pounds by eating fruits, vegetables and protein. I eat very little grain products and no highly processed store foods.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

No sugar? At all?

You referring to added sugar, all sugars or carbs?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I am new to My Fitness Pal but... In response to your query about sugar free. I have been 'refined sugar free' since August 2000. My weight has yo yo'd all my adult life until I accepted that I was addicted to chocolate, sweets and really anything with refined sugar in. I am no expert in the diet department and don't profess to be. But I now have peace of mind around my weight (have maintained a 60lb + weight loss for the last 14 years). I eat fruit and do accept that food converts to sugar - but there is clearly something in the process of either the way or the speed it is broken down that leads me to be able to eat say 1 apple where I could never just eat a few squares of chocolate. Needless to say - I don't intend to go back to eating the types of food that include refined sugar any time soon. 14 years is pretty well proof that it's not faddy. Won't be the answer for everyone but it works for me. :)

StellaCooke thanks for sharing your story about your long term success (14 years) of not regaining a 60 pound weight loss. I have been between 175 and 250 more than once in the last 40 years and must get back down and stay in the 175-190 range and STAY there. Currently at 215 (first time in 20 years) and did cut out refined sugar. With your story I and others can try and see if it works for us long term.

• yaryrosa
    yaryrosa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Just wondering, how many grams of sugar a day would you consider "moderate", say on a 2,000 calorie diet?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    yaryrosa wrote: »
    Just wondering, how many grams of sugar a day would you consider "moderate", say on a 2,000 calorie diet?

I don't track sugar personally, just carbs. But I eat about 2000 calories per day and that usually includes either one serving of ice cream or one piece of cake, something like that. I believe the American Heart Association Guidelines recommend about 25 g per day of added sugar for women and 35g for men. However that's for an "average" calorie intake, probably 2000 for women and 2500 for men. More active people who have higher calorie numbers could have more and still meet the recommendation since it's worded as "half of a person's discretionary calories for the day."

And again, that's added sugar, not total sugar, and those numbers are what are considered "optimal" for large populations. Individual needs/requirements may vary a bit.
  • NoSugar2015
    Options
    Check my username XD
    I am on that :)
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    NEVERRRRRRRRRRR
  • fixmyself
    Options
    loll the research article argument was pretty intense to read, but back to the point. OP, I'm trying avoid refined sugars because sugary foods are a trigger for me. once I have one cookie, I'm really tempted eat whole stack! do whatever works you. It just so happens that I can't have sugar in moderation just yet.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    No, I'm not going (added) sugar free this year. I have to admit that I am suspecting I would see some health improvement (improved allergies, less sensitivity with my digestive system), it would be hard for me to completely remove it from my diet. There are certainly ways I could reduce my consumption, however.
    Another thing, I certainly don't need to reduce my calorie consumption, so removing it would require me to find ways to increase calories.

Honest question. How are you going to go sugar free, added sugar if you are try to bulk?
    I'm not. I just put emphasis on "added sugar" since I don't think it's reasonable at all to even think of going completely sugar free.