Anyone else going sugar free in 2015?

Options
Back in the first half of the year I happened to read online about the Schaub family who went sugar free, and their health and energy improved. I thought I'd try this since I do have a few health and energy issues. I have no idea how long I'll last, but I thought I'd give it a try. Are there any others of you who will do the same?

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The Schaub's whole premise for going sugar free (no added sugar) was the false theory that sugar is toxic. You may want to do some research on that first before you commit to this massive change.

Im not saying you should not do it only that you might want to check into whether its based on an actually health risk. Their self reported health and energy levels could be placebo or other factors also. After the year was over they went to a moderate added sugar intake and still feel fine. Why not just try moderation from the start?

Here is one link but you can do your own research also. Good luck.
    http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/10/sugar_is_not_toxic.html
  • couny79
    couny79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes I think I'm going to try it, I'm trying to choose between 2 books on Amazon, the David Gillespie or Sarah Wilson ones. I live in France, but would like a book by a UK author so I know what the ingredients are! I have weight and energy issues, skin problems, and a definite sugar addiction. I don't expect to live sugar free forever, but if I can lose weight and cut those habits of snacking on sugary things it's worth a try!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Back in the first half of the year I happened to read online about the Schaub family who went sugar free, and their health and energy improved. I thought I'd try this since I do have a few health and energy issues. I have no idea how long I'll last, but I thought I'd give it a try. Are there any others of you who will do the same?

No thanks, I like fruit.... And Nutella....
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'll ever go entirely sugar-free. I'm restrictive enough as it is. I can't eat wheat or I swell like a balloon and get strange itchy/runny rashes everywhere, I have to limit dairy or I start getting intense itching in unsavory places. That's enough restriction for me.

I do think getting a handle on sugar could improve some people's heath. I don't think you'll know if it will help you until you try, so, may as well go for it.

Also, I second the comment about fruit. If you're going sugar-free, that will of course include fruits. Even though it's in combination with fiber, your body can't tell that the fructose you're consuming did or didn't come from a factory. So I guess this also depends upon what you mean by "sugar-free".

I do intend to cut down on uber-processed foods in 2015. I do do much better on fewer refined foods, particularly fewer refined grains. Just the way it is for me.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Oh good

Fad dieting

Yes that'll work long-term :eye-roll:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If I do I would be digging my weight loss's grave. The only reason I have lost 100 pounds and counting is that I refused to go anything-free. The moment I do, I know I will be making things too hard on myself, hard enough to quit. I'm not going to reinvent the wheel and will stick with what has worked so far.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    If I do I would be digging my weight loss's grave. The only reason I have lost 100 pounds and counting is that I refused to go anything-free. The moment I do, I know I will be making things too hard on myself, hard enough to quit. I'm not going to reinvent the wheel and will stick with what has worked so far.

^^Ditto. I have lost over 160# by not eliminating anything from my diet. So far, with 13 months of maintenance accomplished, seems to be working and sustainable for me. I eat fruit (at least 2 servings, most of the time 3) daily and have a small piece of chocolate every day. This is a rest of my life commitment for me and I want to be one of the folks that are in the very small minority that keeps the weight off.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Oh good

Fad dieting

Yes that'll work long-term :eye-roll:

LOL my thoughts exactly :smiley:
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Nope. I like fruit, and cake, and chocolate.....
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I have managed to lose 85lbs without cutting ANYTHING from my diet. Including Sugar! :D Sweet, delicious SUGAR!!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I usually stay away from baked goods and super sweet candy, but I have a stash of dark chocolate handy if the need strikes.

I like strawberries too much to give them up for longer than a day or two, though. And? There's sugar in sriracha sauce. Life without sriracha would have no meaning.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I usually stay away from baked goods and super sweet candy, but I have a stash of dark chocolate handy if the need strikes.

I like strawberries too much to give them up for longer than a day or two, though. And? There's sugar in sriracha sauce. Life without sriracha would have no meaning.

Melt some dark chocolate ..dip in fresh strawberries ...leave to set

Gobble up ...big ones are about 23 calories of deliciousness each ...omnomnom :slaver:
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Reduce the amount of sugar you take in but trying to cut it all out completely is nearly impossible. Here's the thing about fad diets, they are just that, a fad and eventually when you give in you will end up binging. I speak from experience here :D
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Nope.. whats the point?
    I am however going for a pizza challenge :)
  • runnerchick69
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    I have managed to lose 85lbs without cutting ANYTHING from my diet. Including Sugar! :D Sweet, delicious SUGAR!!

YES, YES, YES! I lost 100 pounds and have kept it off for 8 or so years by using the motto everything in moderation :) I did give up some things in the beginning but as I said above, when you finally break you will go over the edge bat *kitten* crazy to get to that sugar LOL I love sugar and the thought of trying to cut it out of my life is downright depressing!

• runnerchick69
    Options

^^Ditto. I have lost over 160# by not eliminating anything from my diet. So far, with 13 months of maintenance accomplished, seems to be working and sustainable for me. I eat fruit (at least 2 servings, most of the time 3) daily and have a small piece of chocolate every day. This is a rest of my life commitment for me and I want to be one of the folks that are in the very small minority that keeps the weight off.

With 13 months under your belt let me say welcome to the club :D I've got about 8 years of maintenance under my belt (100 pounds). The fact is life revolves around food, it just does and that isn't going to change. I'm not cutting out bread, or meat, or carbs, or sugar because in moderation there is nothing wrong with any of them. I love instant potatoes, always have, and most certainly not great for me but I still have them every once in awhile and I haven't died yet LOL Sometimes I really want that greasy burger or wet burrito loaded with sour cream...yep have those too! You are right, this is a rest of our life commitment and that is WAY too long to go without sugar...or anything else we might love! People have to make peace with food and realize it isn't the enemy!

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't like to set myself up for certain failure, so I won't be joining you. But I do wish you good luck in your endeavor. Might be fun to try just for the challenge of it...(it wouldn't be fun for me, but I'm sure other people might like it.) ;)
  • Sara13CH
    Sara13CH Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am decreasing the amount of sugar I eat as I eat WAY to much cookies, candy, etc. I am going to allow myself fruit, that would be silly if I didn't; fruit is healthy and contains vitamins and fiber. I am going to do my best this year to kick out the refined sugar that don't serve my body well.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    1. They only did it for a year (2011).
    2. Each family member was allowed one regular exception that contained a small amount of sugar -- Eve opted for a glass of red wine -- and once a month, the family would have an agreed-upon dessert.

I've lost 58 lbs. I haven't given up anything. My energy levels are way up. I'm more active and healthy than ever.