Anyone else going sugar free in 2015?

Options

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    There are many articles from "trustworthy sources" yet you post an opinion piece and call it peer reviewed? LOL
    The academic database I used marked the journal as scholarly/academic/peer-reviewed.

DID YOU READ THE ARTICLE? YES OR NO?

Just because the journal is an academic journal does not mean that everything in it is a peer reviewed report on scientific research.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    There are many articles from "trustworthy sources" yet you post an opinion piece and call it peer reviewed? LOL
    The academic database I used marked the journal as scholarly/academic/peer-reviewed.

Just because the journal is an academic journal does not mean that everything in it is a peer reviewed report on scientific research.
    I was confusing peer-reviewed with scholarly, as the article definitely looked scholarly to me.

• KatrinaGrey
    KatrinaGrey Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to cut back on processed sugars! Been trying little by little to make small changes every few weeks.
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't think sugar is "toxic" but Americans eat way more of the refined stuff than they did 40 years ago and that can't be good. I find that ADDED sugar produces cravings. I can have just one cookie but it's a struggle so the less I eat the better. I try to save my sugar calories for alcohol. Not a good thing either but I can't seal off every avenue of pleasure.
    Fruit is fine.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Man, I wonder what the university would say about Cell or Science.

Or those other tier 1 journals considered journals? lol.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thinking about putting the boys in time-out.

Can we add the whole "peer review" debate to the list of banned topics please?

If one is going to attempt to cite science, they should at least be able to differentiate between research and opinion pieces. He failed miserably at that ... then claimed the opinion piece was peer reviewed. That's without getting into the credibility (or lack thereof) of Dr. Lustig.

If Sugar was a deadly substance known to cause vicious health problems, it would be regulated with the rest of those substances by either the DEA or the ATF and would be unavailable to people under either 16, 18 or 21 depending on scientific findings.

the end.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I was confusing peer-reviewed with scholarly, as the article definitely looked scholarly to me.

Please just quit while you're behind. You confuse research and opinion ... peer reviewed and "scholarly" ... wow.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Here's a peer-reviewed source on the dangers of sugar.
    Lustig, R. H., Schmidt, L. A., & Brindis, C. D. (2012). Public health: The toxic truth about sugar. Nature, 482(7383), 27-29. doi:10.1038/482027a

I have to say, I have never used the block member option but you will be my first when it comes back into effect. It's just to much at this point.
    Ok. I suspect you'll be one of the only ones to block me, but it doesn't matter to me.
    I suspect I won't be.

I will look forward to not seeing your posts in the bulking forum where you give advice on bulking when you don't know how to run a bulk yourself. And you've been called out on that numerous times before.
    I don't think anyone else has had much of a problem with anything I've said there. Also, I'd be curious to see the actual posts I've made in that section where I've given advice (not just commenting on something) to someone that was wrong. I've commented on some things before that may be a bit controversial, but I've yet to see someone point out actual advice I've given to someone that has been wrong.

You don't get it, you can't correct what people say in the bulking section because you don't understand bulking, because you haven't done it ever and you continuously say how you can't. So how can you possibly correct something you think is wrong??
    From what I can remember, some of the advice I've given wasn't 100% related to the actual process of bulking. In one example, I suggested that the poster who was only eating 27 grams of fat (which I think was 11% of his total calories) increase his fat intake. I pointed out the mistakes he made in his calculations. That wasn't directly related to the fact that he was trying to bulk. Likewise, I gave encouragement to the person of the "getting discouraged - lean bulk or cut" thread. And in a third example of what I posted in that section, I told Pwrlifter82 that (based on Lyle McDonald's numbers) she wouldn't have gained much more muscle had she gone with a more aggressive bulk her first time.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Back in the first half of the year I happened to read online about the Schaub family who went sugar free, and their health and energy improved. I thought I'd try this since I do have a few health and energy issues. I have no idea how long I'll last, but I thought I'd give it a try. Are there any others of you who will do the same?

Not me.
    Sugar in some form is in a lot of pre-made foods as well as the sugars naturally occuring in fruits, vegetables and dairy. Truly eating no sugar at all would eliminate most foods. I think you would struggle to get adequate nutrients if you eliminated every food with sugar.
    I'd say work on gradually reducing the processed foods and drinks you eat and choose more foods with naturally lower sugar content see how that goes for you.
    Good luck.
  • dfargher
    dfargher Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    If Sugar was a deadly substance known to cause vicious health problems, it would be regulated with the rest of those substances by either the DEA or the ATF and would be unavailable to people under either 16, 18 or 21 depending on scientific findings.

the end.

Um, no. Sugar may not be toxic, but the idea that something can't be bad for you or it would be regulated is absurd. Minors could still buy cigarettes in some states until the 90s, despite loads of evidence that they were addictive and carcinogenic. Trans fats are still legal despite evidence that they are harmful. There are a myriad of other substances that either didn't become regulated until well after they were known to be harmful, or the harm is not extreme enough to warrant regulation.
  • 02suzzie2014
    02suzzie2014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just eat it in moderation, a balanced diet and exercise will get your where you want to.....
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Just eat it in moderation, a balanced diet and exercise will get your where you want to.....

^This... Does not have to be complicated.
  • jwatson526
    Options
    I agree with the posters about not eliminating completely from your diet. I am 100 pounds overweight. I am entering the new year with a truly open eye towards health being a goal and weight loss being a by product of me choosing to live in a healthy way. I am approaching this through an "all things in moderation" point of view as well. I hope to engage in a primarily mediterranean/dash style of eating to improve my health. But I know I will crave certain things simply too much. So while I adopt this as an overall way of eating and cooking. I plan to enjoy anything I enjoy in moderation periodically. Good luck.
  • Kimmylosingit
    Kimmylosingit Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think everything in moderation has been working for me- once it fits my macros. I don't add sugar to tea/drinks/my meals MOST OF THE TIMES but I do this so that I can enjoy more nutrient dense/filling foods without exceeding my calorie requirements and macros. I have yo yo dieted for so long and I realize that my mistake was completely cutting things out so that I feel deprived and restricted. Now I have been eating 1200 calories and losing weight quite nicely without feeling deprived-I have no reason to not lose weight now.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    No, not me. To go truly sugar free, one would have to eliminate all vegetables. Even eliminating processed sugar is pretty ridiculous, because you couldn't eat bread or pretty much anything you didn't cook yourself.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Did I just see transfats? LOL. Ermagerds.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    That was fun