Anyone else going sugar free in 2015?

Options

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    shartran wrote: »
    I 'gave' up refined sugar years ago. It also eliminated all those packages items that I thought I couldn't live without. My sugars now come from baking with stevia/dates/figs/bananas/apple sauce/raw honey, etc., I am loving making my own stuff and find the packaged items I thought were SO good...actually do not taste very good to me! I find eating a banana a sweet treat! So, I don't feel deprived I feel it's opened a whole culinary world to me that I have embraced!

Good luck to you!

P.S. I am sorry you have to read all those postings stating that they have issues with anyone giving up their sugar, etc., That is not what you wanted...you wanted people that wish to join you in your new endeavor!
    I think this is more like what the OP intended the thread to be about. If someone wants to give up added sugar, I don't think they'd want people telling them that they shouldn't.

People are simply pointing out that it is not needed and that the "source" of the information that the OP used is suspect. This site is about getting true information out there instead of junk. People need to hear the real, true, non biased information before they make a decision.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    If you want to give up added sugar, rock on, I don't care what you do. But don't do it because you think there is no other road to success...

Success at what? The guy's 50 and appears to be bordering on underweight by his photo.

Maybe he wants to succeed at pain management or alleviating some health condition he's not yet discussed, but what he wants to succeed at has not been revealed.

Purely losing weight can address pain management and a multitude of health conditions. Has little to do with sugar...
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    BOL, You're gonna need it. To go completely sugar free that would also mean avoiding fructose. So it's basically gonna be impossible.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I believe it is wise to avoid REFINED sugar or too much sugar period. There is a reason why we have a type 2 diabetes epidemic.

yes, its called over eating..

and in…for the first sugar thread of 2015
  • cindybell77
    Options
    Yes ! I have Candida Overgrowth. Sugar Feeds It so I was always needing the Medicine the Dermatologist put me on...then I got tested by a Regular Doctor and after 17 yrs. Was diagnosed. ...now I have very limited sugar (22 grams or under) and That is mostly natural occurring "sugar" from Fruit. I have Not had to use my Medicine from the Derm.doctor since I have Cut Out **Sugar**Yeast**....awesomeness!!
  • durangoquilter
    Options
    I have been working at going sugar free for years. For me it is addicting. It messes with my brain function. I have sugar hangovers when I relapse. It takes 5 days to get it out of my system so only 2 indulgences a week will keep me miserable all the time. When it's out of my system the cravings for it diminish to being imperceptible. I feel "clean" inside, can breathe more easily, have fewer emotional outbursts and have better control of my food intake in general. So my recommendation is to go for it. You will feel the difference before a week is out and then you can decide if it is good for you. You will be the best judge.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Back in the first half of the year I happened to read online about the Schaub family who went sugar free, and their health and energy improved. I thought I'd try this since I do have a few health and energy issues. I have no idea how long I'll last, but I thought I'd give it a try. Are there any others of you who will do the same?

I did it Oct 2014 because I learned sugar is toxic to my body.

Tried to cut back in Aug-Sept but no luck so I got ticked and when off sugar cold turkey start of Oct.

Thought I was going to die the first two weeks but I was facing a cancer risk if I got on the injections for pain management for my arthritis so the cancer risk drove me to stay off of sugar.

After two weeks the carb cravings just left. My 7-8+ pain level is like 2-3 now on a scale of 1-10. I plan to stay at <50 grams of carbs daily which means no sugar until I die.

Remember I had abused carbs for 40 years and sugar had wrecked my health so breaking my addiction was not easy.

Best of luck and doing it can save you a lot of grief if you plan to live to be old.

Just an off topic aside, the "cancer risk" from Embrel? About .22% Please note the decimal point. As a person who takes a class of the drug you eschewed, I really, really take issue with how casually you spout misinformation about the risks from it AND about how eliminating carbs can miraculously effect inflammatory arthritis. You're probably just not flaring right now. The only KNOWN and proven ways to get results with inflammatory arthritis pain are anti-TNF therapy, NSAIDS and exercise.

So many people with autoimmune and other chronic pain conditions miss this. It's very difficult to pin down what's helping or not even amongst proven medical treatments because the disease itself is cyclical. I could have concluded back in July that sugar was helping my pain because I was baking a lot more and my pain levels were decreasing. It actually had nothing to do with sugar, I was just on a downward trend.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have been working at going sugar free for years. For me it is addicting. It messes with my brain function. I have sugar hangovers when I relapse. It takes 5 days to get it out of my system so only 2 indulgences a week will keep me miserable all the time. When it's out of my system the cravings for it diminish to being imperceptible. I feel "clean" inside, can breathe more easily, have fewer emotional outbursts and have better control of my food intake in general. So my recommendation is to go for it. You will feel the difference before a week is out and then you can decide if it is good for you. You will be the best judge.

Have you been checked for diabetes or other sugar related illnesses?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I used to sound like a lot of these posters--that sugar was awful, that I was addicted to it, that I was stuck in a cycle of cravings with it. And I did give it up and cut it completely out of my diet for several years.

During that time, I realized something. When I was growing up, we didn't eat sweets that often. Every meal didn't end with something sweet. They were only occasional treats, maybe after Sunday dinner and on holidays. Portions of them were limited. I realized that my consumption of them had gone beyond what the norm for them should have been.

I was able to add them back into my diet in moderation in the way I used to eat them when I was growing up. I still have to watch because sugar can trigger migraines for me, but I realized... it's not sugar that was the issue. It was my behavior that was. I just put too much sugary food into my mouth too often. I didn't need to end every meal with dessert.

I didn't indulge in anything over the holidays because I didn't want anything. But if I had, I would have made myself something and had a small amount and enjoyed. In moderation. And gone on my way. I'm in control of what goes in my mouth.

Facebook-Like-Button.jpg
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I believe it is wise to avoid REFINED sugar or too much sugar period. There is a reason why we have a type 2 diabetes epidemic.

It's from overeating, not from any sugar itself. If that were true, most people would type 2 diabetes because many foods have refined sugar and there is a rare person who has absolutely none, even if they think they don't.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    And look at all the new accounts popping up. It's January so it's not surprising. It is funny that the group demonizing sugar belong to the same demographic.

I just noticed the same, 4 just on this page 6. Hhhhmmmm....
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

No. We have a type-2 diabetes epidemic due to the obesity epidemic which is due to an overconsumption of ALL foods.
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    no
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Back in the first half of the year I happened to read online about the Schaub family who went sugar free, and their health and energy improved. I thought I'd try this since I do have a few health and energy issues. I have no idea how long I'll last, but I thought I'd give it a try. Are there any others of you who will do the same?

I did it Oct 2014 because I learned sugar is toxic to my body.

Tried to cut back in Aug-Sept but no luck so I got ticked and when off sugar cold turkey start of Oct.

Thought I was going to die the first two weeks but I was facing a cancer risk if I got on the injections for pain management for my arthritis so the cancer risk drove me to stay off of sugar.

After two weeks the carb cravings just left. My 7-8+ pain level is like 2-3 now on a scale of 1-10. I plan to stay at <50 grams of carbs daily which means no sugar until I die.

Remember I had abused carbs for 40 years and sugar had wrecked my health so breaking my addiction was not easy.

Best of luck and doing it can save you a lot of grief if you plan to live to be old.

Just an off topic aside, the "cancer risk" from Embrel? About .22% Please note the decimal point. As a person who takes a class of the drug you eschewed, I really, really take issue with how casually you spout misinformation about the risks from it AND about how eliminating carbs can miraculously effect inflammatory arthritis. You're probably just not flaring right now. The only KNOWN and proven ways to get results with inflammatory arthritis pain are anti-TNF therapy, NSAIDS and exercise.

So many people with autoimmune and other chronic pain conditions miss this. It's very difficult to pin down what's helping or not even amongst proven medical treatments because the disease itself is cyclical. I could have concluded back in July that sugar was helping my pain because I was baking a lot more and my pain levels were decreasing. It actually had nothing to do with sugar, I was just on a downward trend.

I think it's hard to tell for personal experience that something is "working" for a chronic cyclical condition, but for medicines and exercise? They've been proven by studies to work. Granted, not all medicines will work for all patients, but in general, their efficacy is supported by scientific study, not just correlation backed anecdata.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    And look at all the new accounts popping up. It's January so it's not surprising. It is funny that the group demonizing sugar belong to the same demographic.

Yeah, don't miss your chance to mock new people signing up on the site. Way to make them feel welcome and comfortable posting their questions. Whether those questions are about sugar, raspberry keytones, starvation mode, carb limitation, heart rate monitoring or anything else that the resident experts all agree on. They're all such idiots, aren't they MrM27?

He didn't call the new people idiots ... he noted a correlation between those with new accounts and believing/posting dubious information.

There is a major difference.
  • tbcrocks
    tbcrocks Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    trying to cut out processed sugar with the exception of twice a month.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Let the 2015 drama commence! B)
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Yeah, don't miss your chance to mock new people signing up on the site. Way to make them feel welcome and comfortable posting their questions. Whether those questions are about sugar, raspberry keytones, starvation mode, carb limitation, heart rate monitoring or anything else that the resident experts all agree on. They're all such idiots, aren't they MrM27?

Huh? This is an odd post, given that nobody called anyone idiots (except you).

However, I also see where many new people who have jumped in to demonize sugar.

Nothing is good or bad for you, it's all about moderation. However, if you feel like you need to give up sugar for personal reasons that's fine, but that does not mean sugar is evil. :)