Anyone else going sugar free in 2015?

Options

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Here's a peer-reviewed source on the dangers of sugar.
    Lustig, R. H., Schmidt, L. A., & Brindis, C. D. (2012). Public health: The toxic truth about sugar. Nature, 482(7383), 27-29. doi:10.1038/482027a

Where? You failed to provide a link.
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v482/n7383/full/482027a.html

Now read it ... go beyond the headline. It's an opinion piece, not a peer reviewed study.

According to my university's library, Nature is an academic journal. And the journal's website lists it as being highly cited science journal along with the fact that they publish peer-reviewed research. http://www.nature.com/nature/about/index.html

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    sugar free? LOL, derp.
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »
    i grew up in the Louisiana swamps, chewing on sugar cane stalks.

just felt nostalgic for a second.

Ah, me too! My pawpaw had a syrup mill. Nothing like the yummy super sweet taffy left over from syrup making!! Thanks for that trip down memory lane. :)

oh my god... seriously! Right back at you!! I miss it down there! Sugar plantations everywhere, burning the fields and making perfect sunsets. oh man, sugar is a thriving heart in the southern economy. Lots of generations of hard working families.

nothin but love, South! <3

Yes Ma'am!! I'm still down here. Can't see me moving too far away any time soon... And yes, I ALWAYS have homemade cane syrup in my pantry! What else do you put on cathead biscuits???
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Lustig, R. H., Schmidt, L. A., & Brindis, C. D. (2012). Public health: The toxic truth about sugar. Nature, 482(7383), 27-29. doi:10.1038/482027a

Now read it ... go beyond the headline. It's an opinion piece, not a peer reviewed study.

According to my university's library, Nature is an academic journal. And the journal's website lists it as being highly cited science journal along with the fact that they publish peer-reviewed research. http://www.nature.com/nature/about/index.html
    Lustig. Uh no.

The journal is rated OVERALL as an academic journal. What's not relayed here is that it just doesn't cover biology, but geology, palentology, etc. And those have LOTS of peer reviewed studies vs the "studies" like Lustig's.

Refined sugar isn't evil. Just like white rice isn't evil. Over consumption is the overall issue which is why obesity reigns in the US. There are a few more countries that consume sugar in higher amounts than the US yet don't have the same obesity issues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Thank you for confirming that you didn't read the article. Just because Nature does publish peer-reviewed research does not mean this piece is a peer-reviewed study. It's from the "comment" section of the magazine ... not the "research" area.

Critical thinking and comprehension are needed to discuss scientific literature.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    No, I don't plan on cutting out sugar ever. I like some sugar, but I have cut back over the years.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    A few years ago (2005/2006) I gradually weaned myself off sugar in terms of adding it to my iced tea/hot tea/and coffee. I also weaned myself off Soda (diet, I left regular soda years before that). I did it for my health, not specifically to help me lose weight. I can't say I lost a considerable amount of weight from doing it, but I did gain more energy and have less 'sugar crashes'.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    If you have a problem overeating sugary foods, then by all means, cut back on sugary foods! I have been substituting sugar for fake sugar and reducing the quantity of added sugar in coffee, but I don't have a problem eating a bit of chocolate which is satiating with good fats.

g8gjt161aqsr.png

OP, it doesn't look like you need to lose any weight from your photo?? Are you having low blood sugar problems (fainting, feeling woozy, etc.)?

http://www.healthline.com/health/hypoglycemia#Overview1
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Nope. Limit sugar....yes.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

I have to say, I have never used the block member option but you will be my first when it comes back into effect. It's just to much at this point.
    Ok. I suspect you'll be one of the only ones to block me, but it doesn't matter to me.

• brianpperkins
    Options

I have to say, I have never used the block member option but you will be my first when it comes back into effect. It's just to much at this point.
    Ok. I suspect you'll be one of the only ones to block me, but it doesn't matter to me.

I'm still waiting for an actual peer reviewed study from you. Your calling that last article "peer reviewed" after you obviously failed to read it does make me understand M27's position on seeing further posts from you.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    OP, I am trying to cut back on sugar a fair amount as well. I won't aim for ZERO sugar, because that is nearly impossible, but I eat too much sugar as is. Cutting dairy and sugar has yielded huge results for me with acne in the past, and in general I've been eating too many sweet treats and processed foods, and limiting sugar is a way to cut down on that.

People here get violent with their defense of sugar....if it makes them happy go for it, if not then not. I don't understand the anger at all. As far as I am concerned anyone can do whatever they want with their own bodies.
  • ForecasterJason
    edited December 2014
    Options

I'm still waiting for an actual peer reviewed study from you. Your calling that last article "peer reviewed" after you obviously failed to read it does make me understand M27's position on seeing further posts from you.
    There are many articles from trustworthy sources (academic journals) that address the issue, but someone already stated in this thread that there are no peer-reviewed sources on it. What I stated was partially true, since the journal is peer-reviewed but not the article itself.

And what MrM stated about my posts really has nothing to do with what I said in this thread. It just gave him more incentive.

• brianpperkins
    Options
    There are many articles from "trustworthy sources" yet you post an opinion piece and call it peer reviewed? LOL
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Thinking about putting the boys in time-out.

Can we add the whole "peer review" debate to the list of banned topics please?
  • ForecasterJason
    Options

I suspect I won't be.

I will look forward to not seeing your posts in the bulking forum where you give advice on bulking when you don't know how to run a bulk yourself. And you've been called out on that numerous times before.
    I don't think anyone else has had much of a problem with anything I've said there. Also, I'd be curious to see the actual posts I've made in that section where I've given advice (not just commenting on something) to someone that was wrong. I've commented on some things before that may be a bit controversial, but I've yet to see someone point out actual advice I've given to someone that has been wrong.

• brianpperkins
    Options
    Thinking about putting the boys in time-out.

Can we add the whole "peer review" debate to the list of banned topics please?

If one is going to attempt to cite science, they should at least be able to differentiate between research and opinion pieces. He failed miserably at that ... then claimed the opinion piece was peer reviewed. That's without getting into the credibility (or lack thereof) of Dr. Lustig.
  • ForecasterJason
    edited December 2014
    Options
    There are many articles from "trustworthy sources" yet you post an opinion piece and call it peer reviewed? LOL
    The academic database I used marked the journal as scholarly/academic/peer-reviewed. If I was writing a college research paper, that article would have been appropriate.