Anyone else going sugar free in 2015?

Options

Replies

• xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Definitely watch Sugar: The Bitter Truth, it fired me up in gear to decide to go sugar-free which I would have never thought I would EVER do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Chocolate, candies, ice cream, yoghurt, coffee, pop... you name it, I ate it! What I have done is I quit drinking coffee (a Timmies large double double has 300cals and 30g of sugar!!!) and pop because I knew that would make a HUGE difference in the lapse of a week. At the same time I started gradually lowered my carbs. Immediately I felt way better and started losing weight (4lbs is 10 days, counting xmas parties and which I exceeded my TDEE by about 400cals each time). On Dec 26th I started Atkins Induction Phase 1. This is a diet based off Low Carb High Fat (and lot of proteins too!). In 6 days so far I've lost another 4.4lbs! So this brings me so far to 8.4lbs in 16 days, DURING the holidays! :smile:

Since starting the induction phase of Atkins allowing 20g net carbs/day (net carbs = g of carbs - g of fiber), I feel so much better: my sleep quality and patterns have both improved, my face is clearing up, my cravings are gone (I've been binge-free for 16 days now!!! HUGE win for me, as this was getting really bad!).

Before going low carb, I've tried to only count calories, but I always felt like I was starving on 1200cals/day. Now, somedays I am even a little bit (50-100cals) under 1200cals! I don't know if you were to cut only carbs if it would work as well, as I have naturally consumed a minimal amount of calories while cutting out carbs. My diet consist of 3 servings of greens/day, 1 other serving of non-starchy vegetables, 1oz of cheese and I fill in the gap with quality fat and proteins. I use coconut oil for cooking, unless I just cooked meat then I use its fat, olive oil and vinegar for dressing. I eat 1-2 eggs and 2 strips of bacon every morning. Usually have cheese and deli meat/meatballs for snack, sometimes olives or pickled beets (watch for hidden sugar!).

It's been working so far from me! So pleased with the results. Eventually I will move on to the next phases and up the carbs and re-introduce them slowly so that I can transition from ''kick-start diet'' to ''life-long changes''. I am excited to keep going on that path and reap the benefits from it. So relieved to not be the slave to my cravings anymore.

If you are interested, I highly suggest that you read Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution and/or visit the website for more information! Personally, I don't use any supplement or meal replacement/no-sugar processed treats that they offer. I eat straight up real food. I have had enough of the processed junk, I've learned my lesson! This is what worked for me, we all are different so this may not be for you, but this way of eating helped me a lot to make it a lifestyle. While eating carbs, I was always hungry and had cravings and energy crashes all the time.

Hope it helps!

Atkins: How it works http://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/atkins-20
    Atkins Phase 1: Induction http://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/atkins-20/phase-1
  • Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    No.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    xmarye wrote: »
    Definitely watch Sugar: The Bitter Truth, it fired me up in gear to decide to go sugar-free which I would have never thought I would EVER do.

Bunk...

• JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Bunk...

Next they're going to tell us to watch Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead for the wonders of an all-juice diet.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Free sugar? Sure! Where do I sign up?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dfargher wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »
    If Sugar was a deadly substance known to cause vicious health problems, it would be regulated with the rest of those substances by either the DEA or the ATF and would be unavailable to people under either 16, 18 or 21 depending on scientific findings.

the end.

Um, no. Sugar may not be toxic, but the idea that something can't be bad for you or it would be regulated is absurd. Minors could still buy cigarettes in some states until the 90s, despite loads of evidence that they were addictive and carcinogenic. Trans fats are still legal despite evidence that they are harmful. There are a myriad of other substances that either didn't become regulated until well after they were known to be harmful, or the harm is not extreme enough to warrant regulation.

that's exactly my point though.

the harm from sugar is not extreme enough to warrant regulation...

and if you note, I didn't say "sugar isn't bad for you" - I said it isn't a known deadly substance that needs to be regulated.

so yeah...

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Just eat it in moderation, a balanced diet and exercise will get your where you want to.....

But it can't just be that simple..........I must have to get rid of sugar, carbs, "processed" food, eat "clean," to be able to get where I want......... {eye roll}

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Why would I watch somebody who makes claims that they can't back with ANY scientific study? Lustig would have to gain credibility to reach quack status.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    Just eat it in moderation, a balanced diet and exercise will get your where you want to.....

But it can't just be that simple..........I must have to get rid of sugar, carbs, "processed" food, eat "clean," to be able to get where I want......... {eye roll}

You forgot detox... you MUST detox!!!
  • JoanaMHill
    Options

Preferably with cayenne pepper involved.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Back in the first half of the year I happened to read online about the Schaub family who went sugar free, and their health and energy improved. I thought I'd try this since I do have a few health and energy issues. I have no idea how long I'll last, but I thought I'd give it a try. Are there any others of you who will do the same?

No way, but the best of luck to you. :)
  • Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    JoanaMHill wrote: »

I only do ghost peppers now.

Cleans your entire system out.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    REFINED SUGAR IS DEADLY
    No.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Travis_2 wrote: »

Need to upgrade to scorpion chilis.

Cleanse your body with the power of Pele.
  • JoanaMHill
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Travis_2 wrote: »

Need to upgrade to scorpion chilis.

Cleanse your body with the power of Pele.

j1hdeo2igmzh.jpg

Yum
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Back in the first half of the year I happened to read online about the Schaub family who went sugar free, and their health and energy improved. I thought I'd try this since I do have a few health and energy issues. I have no idea how long I'll last, but I thought I'd give it a try. Are there any others of you who will do the same?

I did it Oct 2014 because I learned sugar is toxic to my body.

Tried to cut back in Aug-Sept but no luck so I got ticked and when off sugar cold turkey start of Oct.

Thought I was going to die the first two weeks but I was facing a cancer risk if I got on the injections for pain management for my arthritis so the cancer risk drove me to stay off of sugar.

After two weeks the carb cravings just left. My 7-8+ pain level is like 2-3 now on a scale of 1-10. I plan to stay at <50 grams of carbs daily which means no sugar until I die.

Remember I had abused carbs for 40 years and sugar had wrecked my health so breaking my addiction was not easy.

Best of luck and doing it can save you a lot of grief if you plan to live to be old.

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    bluth-no.gif
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I did it Oct 2014 because I learned sugar is toxic to my body.

Tried to cut back in Aug-Sept but no luck so I got ticked and when off sugar cold turkey start of Oct.

Thought I was going to die the first two weeks but I was facing a cancer risk if I got on the injections for pain management for my arthritis so the cancer risk drove me to stay off of sugar.

After two weeks the carb cravings just left. My 7-8+ pain level is like 2-3 now on a scale of 1-10. I plan to stay at <50 grams of carbs daily which means no sugar until I die.

Remember I had abused carbs for 40 years and sugar had wrecked my health so breaking my addiction was not easy.

Best of luck and doing it can save you a lot of grief if you plan to live to be old.

Just an off topic aside, the "cancer risk" from Embrel? About .22% Please note the decimal point. As a person who takes a class of the drug you eschewed, I really, really take issue with how casually you spout misinformation about the risks from it AND about how eliminating carbs can miraculously effect inflammatory arthritis. You're probably just not flaring right now. The only KNOWN and proven ways to get results with inflammatory arthritis pain are anti-TNF therapy, NSAIDS and exercise.

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    272.gif

...and also...

Ross-Why-Would-You-Do-That.gif