Anyone else going sugar free in 2015?

Options

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    No, I'm not going (added) sugar free this year. I have to admit that I am suspecting I would see some health improvement (improved allergies, less sensitivity with my digestive system), it would be hard for me to completely remove it from my diet. There are certainly ways I could reduce my consumption, however.
    Another thing, I certainly don't need to reduce my calorie consumption, so removing it would require me to find ways to increase calories.

Honest question. How are you going to go sugar free, added sugar if you are try to bulk?
    I'm not. I just put emphasis on "added sugar" since I don't think it's reasonable at all to even think of going completely sugar free.

So you are going to bulk eating foods that have 0 added sugar?
    I think you missed the opening sentence of my post. "No, I'm not going (added) sugar free this year."

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I believe it is wise to avoid REFINED sugar or too much sugar period. There is a reason why we have a type 2 diabetes epidemic.

It is NOT because of sugar. It is because of the combination of risk factors that cause it and more and more people have two or more of those risk factors.

The most common risk factors:
    1. Genetics
    2. Being overweight
    3. Age
    4. Long term use of common medications like statins and antidepressants

There is also correlation (but not proven causation) to excess stress and environmental factors such as increased arsenic in food, pesticides and herbicides, etc.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    yaryrosa wrote: »
    Just wondering, how many grams of sugar a day would you consider "moderate", say on a 2,000 calorie diet?

IMO, it depends on the source of the sugar, not the number of grams. The reasons WHO et al limit added sugar is not sugar itself but the view that certain amounts of added sugar on average are likely to signify an overconsumption of non nutrient dense foods either at the expense of nutrient dense ones or resulting in excess calorie consumption.

So I think moderate consumption of added sugar means within your appropriate calories and not at the expense of adequate protein, fiber, or other nutrients, found especially in a wide variety of fruits and veggies. For sources of sugar that come with important nutrients, like dairy and fruit, I think it's not excessive (in moderation) if within your calories and not at the expense of other equally good and diverse sources of nutrients.

One reason for this is that although bananas and yogurt are healthy, you wouldn't want to eat them exclusively, as you wouldn't want to eat anything, however nutrient dense, exclusively. It's the mix that matters.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Just wondering, how many grams of sugar a day would you consider "moderate", say on a 2,000 calorie diet?

IMO, it depends on the source of the sugar, not the number of grams. The reasons WHO et al limit added sugar is not sugar itself but the view that certain amounts of added sugar on average are likely to signify an overconsumption of non nutrient dense foods either at the expense of nutrient dense ones or resulting in excess calorie consumption.

So I think moderate consumption of added sugar means within your appropriate calories and not at the expense of adequate protein, fiber, or other nutrients, found especially in a wide variety of fruits and veggies. For sources of sugar that come with important nutrients, like dairy and fruit, I think it's not excessive (in moderation) if within your calories and not at the expense of other equally good and diverse sources of nutrients.

One reason for this is that although bananas and yogurt are healthy, you wouldn't want to eat them exclusively, as you wouldn't want to eat anything, however nutrient dense, exclusively. It's the mix that matters.

^^this
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This is so true. I tend to not eat sweets partially because of preference (give me bread rather than cake!) but also because I am under Dr.'s orders to eat a reduced carb diet. My sugars stay close to the MFP target but I do have the occasional sweet when I can work it in to my carb total. Most of my sugars come from veggies and dairy with some fruit

• Zhost
    Zhost Posts: 97
    Options
    N=1, cut way back on sugar and carbs in general a la Keto. Never felt better, weight just fell off.

When I want something sugary I eat/bake those dreaded "frankenfoods" with those dreaded "fake" sugars that don't spike my BG levels.
  • Zhost
    Options
    Zhost wrote: »
    N=1, cut way back on sugar and carbs in general a la Keto. Never felt better, weight just fell off.

When I want something sugary I eat/bake those dreaded "frankenfoods" with those dreaded "fake" sugars that don't spike my BG levels.

Protein also causes insulin spikes

Yes I've read that already. And from everything I've read it's only in very large amounts. But nonetheless I used the meter after drinking a protein shake (whey isolate). Nothing out of the norm happened, just the regular small spikes I'd get with any other food.

Of course, again, this is all n=1. It's all just calories in vs out anyways.
  • Zhost
    Options

Protein also causes insulin spikes

Yes I've read that already. And from everything I've read it's only in very large amounts. But nonetheless I used the meter after drinking a protein shake (whey isolate). Nothing out of the norm happened, just the regular small spikes I'd get with any other food.

Of course, again, this is all n=1. It's all just calories in vs out anyways.

Where did you read that it was only in very large amounts? Can I see?

Here's a few things I've read in the past, which may or may not be relevant to your question but still things related to my n=1.

http://www.ketotic.org/2012/08/if-you-eat-excess-protein-does-it-turn.html?m=1
    http://caloriesproper.com/dietary-protein-does-not-negatively-impact-blood-glucose-control/
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/1qxjwi/where_does_blood_glucose_come_from_on_keto/cdhu7d3 (You'll prolly dislike this source of reading).

Anyway, these are readings, which may include studies. Take it as you will with a grain of sugar.
  • Zhost
    Options
    Why did I even bother asking.

Because you sit upon a high horse of those who choose to eat a certain way? That's my guess at least. But you are very welcome to debunk those links and the studies they include, if you could. Show me the light PhD/Dr MrM.

Yea I'm going to debate someone linking a keto site and reddit. Lol. REDDIT!!!

Thinking those sites can't be reputable because one is a giant online discussion community and the other has a certain word in it even though both have studies and sources.

H'okay buddy. You do you and I'll do me.

Here's the studies in the reddit link for those viewing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/182420
    http://books.google.com/books?id=JtCZBe-2XVIC&lpg=PA44&ots=dNISh1zQJz&hl=en&pg=PA44#v=onepage&q&f=false
    http://imgur.com/C6FwCBi

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

75 to 90
  • Zhost
    Options
    Here's another source for gluconeogenesis and whatnot.

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/62/5/1371.full
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Why did I even bother asking.

Because you sit upon a high horse of those who choose to eat a certain way? That's my guess at least. But you are very welcome to debunk those links and the studies they include, if you could. Show me the light PhD/Dr MrM.

Yea I'm going to debate someone linking a keto site and reddit. Lol. REDDIT!!!

Thinking those sites can't be reputable because one is a giant online discussion community and the other has a certain word in it even though both have studies and sources.

H'okay buddy. You do you and I'll do me.

Here's the studies in the reddit link for those viewing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/182420
    http://books.google.com/books?id=JtCZBe-2XVIC&lpg=PA44&ots=dNISh1zQJz&hl=en&pg=PA44#v=onepage&q&f=false
    http://imgur.com/C6FwCBi

I don't have an issue with the source as such (and not the links), and I could be missing it, but where does it refer to spikes in insulin re protein (and specifically, in a non keto state, which is where most people are)?

• KaliH310
    KaliH310 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've been refined sugar free for months and it's been amazing! I'm no longer suffering from constant headaches, low energy, or mood swings. And my waist has dropped by 2 inches.
    I still have sugar from raw honey and pure maple syrup but that's it. It was the best decision I've made for myself in a long time.
    But I won't lie to anyone when I say it's HARD TO DO. I had major sugar cravings and struggled to push through but I did it and I don't regret a single day of it. Good luck!
  • Zhost
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am having trouble reading what you asked, which is a fault definitely on my part.

Are you asking about insulin spikes in non-keto people when eating protein?
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am having trouble reading what you asked, which is a fault definitely on my part.

Are you asking about insulin spikes in non-keto people when eating protein?

Meh...probably my badly worded question.

I was trying to see where it supported your original statement, that protein is needed in large doses to spike insulin (and specifically, not re people in keto as keto is not really the topic at hand).

This study indicates that 45g protein is pretty insulinogenic. 45g protein is a normal meal which I would not consider high (although admittedly, if ingested as a normal meal, insulin response would be blunted - as it is with sugar) - and they did not test with less, so less could be just as effective:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18679613?dopt=Abstract&holding=f1000,f1000m,isrctn

It's only one study - and it may be a definitional thing..."what is a lot"
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

75 to 90
    Total sugar or just added sugar?