Options
191011121315»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    yaryrosa wrote: »
    Just wondering, how many grams of sugar a day would you consider "moderate", say on a 2,000 calorie diet?

75 to 90
    Total sugar or just added sugar?
    It doesn't matter. It can be a combination or just one or the other. Sugar is sugar.
  • Zhost
    Zhost Posts: 97
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Zhost wrote: »
    I am having trouble reading what you asked, which is a fault definitely on my part.

Are you asking about insulin spikes in non-keto people when eating protein?

Meh...probably my badly worded question.

I was trying to see where it supported your original statement, that protein is needed in large doses to spike insulin (and specifically, not re people in keto as keto is not really the topic at hand).

This study indicates that 45g protein is pretty insulinogenic. 45g protein is a normal meal which I would not consider high (although admittedly, if ingested as a normal meal, insulin response would be blunted - as it is with sugar) - and they did not test with less, so less could be just as effective:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18679613?dopt=Abstract&holding=f1000,f1000m,isrctn

It's only one study - and it may be a definitional thing..."what is a lot"

Giving it a quick look through

The whey protein (WPI), can't tell if the I in the WPI stands for isolate or not, which should be noted as whey protein and whey protein isolate are different, which is different from WPH.

As welll as the WPH giving a bigger increase in the amount of response.

A few other details seem to be missing in regards to if they were fasting, what their normal diet was, etc. But it is a good study to look at regardless and I've might've missed something.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    KaliH310 wrote: »
    I've been refined sugar free for months and it's been amazing! I'm no longer suffering from constant headaches, low energy, or mood swings. And my waist has dropped by 2 inches.
    I still have sugar from raw honey and pure maple syrup but that's it. It was the best decision I've made for myself in a long time.
    But I won't lie to anyone when I say it's HARD TO DO. I had major sugar cravings and struggled to push through but I did it and I don't regret a single day of it. Good luck!

You do realize that maple syrup is almost all sucrose so it is no different than table sugar, right? Honey is primarily a mix of fructose and glucose.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Here's another source for gluconeogenesis and whatnot.

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/62/5/1371.full

Zhost you posted a lot of great links on the subject. They seem to indicate there will be not insulin spike even with large amounts consumed because of the complex process is slow.

I have been in nutritional ketosis for three months. I can knock myself out of ketosis with a large amount of protein but only over a longer period of time. Now a large amount of sugar can create a spike in my case and more quickly take me out of ketosis based on my experience with the Abbot Blood Glucose and Ketone Meter usage.

Thanks again for all of the great links.

• Zhost
    Options

Zhost you posted a lot of great links on the subject. They seem to indicate there will be not insulin spike even with large amounts consumed because of the complex process is slow.

I have been in nutritional ketosis for three months. I can knock myself out of ketosis with a large amount of protein but only over a longer period of time. Now a large amount of sugar can create a spike in my case and more quickly take me out of ketosis based on my experience with the Abbot Blood Glucose and Ketone Meter usage.

Hey thanks! I'm all for people doing what they wanna do, and if people want to keep eating what they like and still lose weight, rock on.
  • Zhost
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

You absolutely either don't read the stuff posted or you just deliberately misinterpret it.

What do you not like about what I've posted? You've posted nothing thus far except personal criticism.

Also, once again I shall stress the N=1 thing, which if it flew over your head, means my personal experience. My experience was backed up with what I've read.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Please see my link. Its not re people in keto so may not be relevent - his other ones are, and this should be noted as well, for people not in keto.

The link above is really in regard to gluconeogensis and not insulin per se.
  • Zhost
    Options

Please see my link. Its not re people in keto so may not be relevent - his other ones are, and this should be noted as well, for people not in keto.

Gluconeogenesis would more than likely not occur in someone not on keto, because they're getting plenty of carbs from the foods they already eat. Unless someone is fasting and they suddenly ingest a large amount of protein.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Gluconeogenesis would more than likely not occur in someone not on keto, because they're getting plenty of carbs from the foods they already eat. Unless someone is fasting and they suddenly ingest a large amount of protein.

Gluconeogenesis happens whether you are low carb or not - but I agree that the extent is more with people in keto. Not sure what the point is here though (not being snarky, just a little confused) - although its likely bad wording at fault again - I edited my original response as I realized I was addressing the other links and did not address the one above.

• Zhost
    edited January 2015
    Options

Gluconeogenesis happens whether you are low carb or not - but I agree that the extent is more with people in keto. Not sure what the point is here though (not being snarky, just a little confused) - although its likely bad wording at fault again - I edited my original response as I realized I was addressing the other links and did not address the one above.

Yea I think I might've misread it too, it's a Saturday and after the Holidays, so I will blame that (:

Yeah I worded my reply wrong in that "more than likely not occur" should have been supplemented with that you said in that the extent would not be as big.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Just wondering, how many grams of sugar a day would you consider "moderate", say on a 2,000 calorie diet?

75 to 90

I'm all for moderation, and I know backing off alcohol helps a lot to reduce sugar intake as well as calories!

I took a look at my Sugar Report on MFP, and it seems like I'm under the limit by a good amount for about 80% of my days (in the last 90 days) and over by a bit on about 20% of the days. MFP is recommending a "Daily Goal" of 47 for me. There was only 1 day in the past 90 days where I blew my sugar completely (double the "goal" limit), and I had a slice of cherry pie that day (Thanksgiving)!

Relevant fun article... How much sugar is in champagne? :wink:

http://winefolly.com/review/how-much-sugar-in-brut-champagne/
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »

75 to 90

Relevant fun article... How much sugar is in champagne? :wink:

http://winefolly.com/review/how-much-sugar-in-brut-champagne/

Mmmm, I love sweeter style champagne....but not in a hot tub.....with others.....and lots of sweat......ughhhh (heaves).
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, I love sweeter style champagne....but not in a hot tub.....with others.....and lots of sweat......ughhhh (heaves).

Erghhhhhh, so noted! Tee-hee! :p
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

75 to 90
    Total sugar or just added sugar?

Total
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This study indicates that 45g protein is pretty insulinogenic. 45g protein is a normal meal which I would not consider high

It's probably half the average daily protein intake, so maybe a bit high for a "normal" meal for many.

Insulin response depends on type of protein and rate of absorption too, but 16 grams of whey is sufficient to give a substantial increase in insulin and reduction in blood sugars area under the curve.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If I had the option between sugar free and sand... I'd take the sand.