I know many people are against cleanses but....a TMI problem

Options
1235»

Replies

• mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    first, miralax is approved by doctors (my kid's pediatrician, 2 pediatricians i'm friends with, and an er doc i'm friends with) for long term use. you don't get addicted to it, you do take it long term too keep your bowel empty while it retrains itself to be properly responsive. DEFINITELY see your doctor about it, but in the mean time,
    -don't eat any more than 35g fibre/day
    -drink 10-12 cups of water per day
    -be active every day
    -cut down on milk products (tend to be constipating unless you're lactose intolerant, in which case it gives diarrhea)
    -switch from your regular D/cal/mag to magnesium citrate and plain d/cal supplement. magnesium citrate is actually what they use as a "purgative" before surgeries. in other words, you down a bottle, and thar she blows. i'm not suggesting you take the purgative, because that's between you and your doctor, but doing what you're doing with a change from mag oxide to mag citrate will help.
    -a fleet enema can help if you have really dry impacted stool in your rectum.

do not:
    use stimulant laxatives (senna, cascara, bisacodyl, etc) if you can help it. your body can become dependent on these.
    -reduce you water or go on a low fibre diet unless your doc tells you to.

and just a suggestion, i've ever actually done it but i hear a tablespoon of coconut oil in coffee or tea really helps grease you up on the inside, plus it's not one of the "unhealthy" fats. it's not like egg yolks that you mentioned earlier. there is no cholesterol already in it, and while there is saturated fat, it tends to be processed differently in the body (according to several sources i've seen).

i've got a chronic problem too because of my medications. i can easily go a week with no news. sometimes two, in which case i'm dying of gut pain. since taking miralax i've been going once a week or better. not every day yet, but we're going in the right direction.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    dakotababy wrote: »
    I have been having some issues for the last year. I typically go a week without going (with no pain, discomfort or "need" to go.) I went to a doctor, and was told just to increase my fiber intake.

When I feel like I should be going, I will take a high dose of vitamin C. Otherwise, if I have them in the house, 40g of Almonds per day works amazingly well. (Probably a good amount of fat, plus fiber in this amazing snack!)

I don't know if I could bear going a week without going. I tend to get uncomfortable after a couple of days. My spouse tells me I'm "abnormal" if I skip even one day and that normal people go after every meal.

Normal people don't go after every meal.

I go every day like clockwork, if i miss that train i have to wait til the next day. Rarely there's a late train.

My BF goes 3 or 4 times a day. (Normal according to Dr)

Normal is anywhere from several times a day to 3 or 4 times a week.

My daughter goes once or twice a week (liver disorder) no matter what she eats. (Not Normal)

If i get backed up i just get a mcdouble. The grease makes it slide into the station on time.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor today, and he recommended two tablespoons of chia seeds with my breakfast. He also said that my pattern was well within the normal range, although I should get a colonoscopy this year because I'm over 50 and due for one. He said he had one patient with an overlong "redundant" colon who went only once every one to two weeks. She was on a regimen of 10 metamucil capsules a day because that was the only thing that worked for her!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    The point of eating more fat is to do so while maintaining your calorie deficit. So you will eat less protein and carbs to allow for the extra fat. Obviously increasing fat helps you based on your experience going to Portland. The problem was you ate well over your calories rather than the fact you at more fat. Try eating more plants based fats while maintaining you calorie deficit.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If your bowel movements and/or lack of them are troublesome or uncomfortable for you, and you feel the need to take that many supplements, something is wrong that chia seeds alone aren't going to fix. Fat is so important to implement into your diet and yours is way low. Eat fats like the ones others have mentioned and give it a try. :) Fats are so important for your body and the idea that all fats contribute to cholesterol/weight problems is bull!
  • rosebette
    Options
    I actually mentioned to the doctor the business about being helped by eating a fatty meal helping things along. He said that the reason "bad" fats exit so quickly is that often our systems are trying to get rid of them; however, I am going to incorporate more healthy fats like nuts because they will improve my cholesterol level, unlike animal fats.
  • kbbeale
    kbbeale Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    A week? WTF are you people not eating? after 2-3 days I'm wondering what's wrong and I go get a burger from the bar down the street. Seriously- daily- its' the best.

Well, great for you! Not everyone is as lucky as you seem to be, and despite trying everything mentioned here, plus doctors, some people just have problems in this department. Lay off.

OP: You originally asked about a cleanse. If you want my opinion on the best one (and Im in the same boat as you, friend)....feel free to PM me. No, I dont sell anything, just my experience to share with ya. Hugs.
  • rosebette
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Actually, the doctor nix'd the cleanse except in extreme circumstances. 2-3 days is not extreme by medical definitions, apparently.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    I went to the doctor today, and he recommended two tablespoons of chia seeds with my breakfast. He also said that my pattern was well within the normal range, although I should get a colonoscopy this year because I'm over 50 and due for one. He said he had one patient with an overlong "redundant" colon who went only once every one to two weeks. She was on a regimen of 10 metamucil capsules a day because that was the only thing that worked for her!

1) Get a second opinion

2) Incorporate fiber into your diet. The stuff that I have been taking doesn't cause any gas or cramping what so ever

3) Start taking pre and pro biotics (seriously)

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    kbbeale wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    A week? WTF are you people not eating? after 2-3 days I'm wondering what's wrong and I go get a burger from the bar down the street. Seriously- daily- its' the best.

Well, great for you! Not everyone is as lucky as you seem to be, and despite trying everything mentioned here, plus doctors, some people just have problems in this department. Lay off.

OP: You originally asked about a cleanse. If you want my opinion on the best one (and Im in the same boat as you, friend)....feel free to PM me. No, I dont sell anything, just my experience to share with ya. Hugs.

You lay off. Eat more fiber, eat more fat, you'll be fine.

It's not a matter of being lucky, it's eating properly.
  • rosebette
    Options
    I don't know if I'd get a second opinion. I need to have that colonoscopy this year, which my doctor is recommending, so I'm sure that will turn up any problems if there are any. Since returning from my trip I've been quite "regular," so maybe the added fat is helping.