Ewww... What's the worst thing you've eaten..?

Options

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    While vacationing in Peru, I ordered something that sounded so cute to be adventurous... Cuy (prounounced Coo-ee)

It was fried guinea pig :) Anticucho and Aji de Gallina were amazing though...

Cuy: Here is where Peruvian cuisine might get a little scary for you. Fried Guinea pig! It was once eaten by Incan royalty and today remains a special food in Peru. While some restaurants serve it cut into small pieces and marinated others prefer a more dramatic presentation. It isn't uncommon to see the entire animal, head, feet and all grilled and served on a platter. Beware of the word Cuy (Guinea Pig) on any menu you see.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    That Artic Zero "ice cream." Tasted like a bunch of chemicals. I threw mine away after 2 bites.

I tried this, too. It. Was. Awful.
  • mrsjoyw
    mrsjoyw Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It's definitely better in yogurt or oatmeal! Try again! I'd say my big eeewwww is okra. Recipe experiment gone bad! SLIMY AND GROSS!

OMG! I hated okra too until I learned how to roast them! Girl put them in a bowl and drizzle a little EVOO and sprinkle with seasonings (I like cajun seasoning on everything) toss them around to get coated. Then spread them out on a sheet pan and roast at 400 for about 20-30 minutes. This keeps the insides firm and not a gooey, oozy pod in the bunch! I swear last summer I ate them like french fries. Especially when my local farmers market had an over abundance of them and practically gave them away.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Some kind of bean at a Thai restaurant. It was listed on the menu with a warning, so of course we wanted to try it. At first, it didn't seem so bad, but then the taste settled in. The only word I can think of to describe it is putrid. Anyone know the name of this bean?

Was it a long bean, like a green bean, or a bean like black beans? Some of those are fermented and can be really strong.

It wasn't a long bean. It was an individual bean, maybe a little bigger than a pinto bean, and perhaps pale green or tan (can't remember) in color. I also can't remember if it was fermented. It seemed very unadorned, and I got the sense that the taste was pretty much due to the bean. If it was fermented, I could see that as a source of the putrid taste.
  • b1delane
    b1delane Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Eggs are gross!! All I can think is it could have been a chicken fetus...(shivers):sick: NASTY...sucks cause it's a good source of protein!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Dry Taco
  • jsd_135
    Options
    It's definitely better in yogurt or oatmeal! Try again! I'd say my big eeewwww is okra. Recipe experiment gone bad! SLIMY AND GROSS!

OMG! I hated okra too until I learned how to roast them! Girl put them in a bowl and drizzle a little EVOO and sprinkle with seasonings (I like cajun seasoning on everything) toss them around to get coated. Then spread them out on a sheet pan and roast at 400 for about 20-30 minutes. This keeps the insides firm and not a gooey, oozy pod in the bunch! I swear last summer I ate them like french fries. Especially when my local farmers market had an over abundance of them and practically gave them away.

I'm okay with okra, especially in gumbo, but this sounds awesome!
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I love okra. I'm growing it in the garden this year for the 1st time. I make it Indian style, with nice aromatic spices and tomatoes, cooked til the okra is still crunchy. Southern style okra and tomatoes is great too.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Dried seaweed. It was so salty and I chewed and chewed and chewed and nothing happened.
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    better than cheddar...definitely NOT!

bacon vodka...by all reasoning this should be fabulous, but sadly it was not!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Bull Testicles
    I love Rocky Mountain Oysters! If I don't go to a Testicle Festival once a year, I'm disappointed.

Yes! I love Rocky Mountain Oysters! Great way to get in some extra protein! :wink:
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm generally a pretty open-minded eater, but I just can't get a bite of Uni (sea urchin) to go down.

It's a weird texture thing; you bite into it and it first feels like a tongue, and then immediately liquifies into a salt water slime in your mouth. Blech, can't do it again.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options

I haven't tried it, but it seems like it would be a good addition to a bloody mary. Perhaps it's about what you mix it with?
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

I haven't tried it, but it seems like it would be a good addition to a bloody mary. Perhaps it's about what you mix it with?

I tried it straight BIG MISTAKE!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    That Artic Zero "ice cream." Tasted like a bunch of chemicals. I threw mine away after 2 bites.

I LOVE this stuff... but only some flavors are good. chocolate = not good, vanilla maple = divine
    coffee and cookie dough aren't bad...
  • jsd_135
    Options
    Uni (sea urchin) . . .

. . . you bite into it and it first feels like a tongue, and then immediately liquifies into a salt water slime in your mouth.

That sounds divine--NOT!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Uni (sea urchin) . . .

. . . you bite into it and it first feels like a tongue, and then immediately liquifies into a salt water slime in your mouth.

That sounds divine--NOT!

I tried it. I loved it! It's not for everyone tho!
  • smesche
    smesche Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Fish of any kind. I've tried different fish and had it cooked a hundred ways and I just cannot stomach it. A family friend brought a tofurkey to Thanksgiving dinner one year. That was simply awful. I don't know if it was how he seasoned it or because Tofu just sucks, but it had everyone but him excusing themselves to the nearest restroom.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Fried oysters! I love all kinds of seafood, but they leave the bellies in the oysters and I just cannot eat them. Gagging just thinking about it!
  • sgouti1
    sgouti1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Those individually frozen tilapia filets - to me they always have some gross pesticide/plastic flavor. I usually waste a whole lemon trying to choke down half a filet, before I give up and throw the other half away.