Do you log gains?

Options

Replies

• jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    If I have been eating out of the ordinary, like a holiday, or it is certain times of the month then a wait a few days from when things are back to normal and then only log if it looks like the gain is here to stay
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Whatever my scale reads out on Tuesday morning; it gets logged. I occasionally weigh myself during the week but do not record those readings. Rare gains don't bother me as much as plateaus do. Those get so frustrating to me after doing everything right and nothing being shown on the scale. Then like magic, 'whoosh' goes the weight and the scale shows the new lower numbers.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    When I know they're real and not water retention, absolutely.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I too log at least once a week-though often much more. I did skip 3 days last week when my weight went high. 3 turkey dinners-but then was back on track and weight was back down and I logged again. Weight will fluctuate a little but overall the trend is down-yay!
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    CurvyToFit wrote: »
    I only log after about 10lbs or if my fat percentage goes down a lot. You should get a scale that also shows your body fat, water, and bone - weight watchers makes one for a reasonable price. I bought mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond. It gives you an idea if you are just bloated or if you actually put fat weight on. I would go crazy with the up and down numbers on the scale if I weighed myself all the time - once a month is good for me as long as I am eating right. I also go by how my clothes fit, jeans do not lie.

Most of those scales are extremely inaccurate.

Since I have bought mine it has been consistent with my weight loss. Like I said above I am not looking at exact numbers - only a monthly summary. I mostly go by how my clothes fit.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Those who don't log gains are using a similar logic to those that don't log binges ... if I don't log it, it didn't happen ... in reality it did happen.

The logic is entirely different. Daily scale movements are largely meaningless noise, providing little useful information. Actual calorie data is not noise.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Those who don't log gains are using a similar logic to those that don't log binges ... if I don't log it, it didn't happen ... in reality it did happen.

The logic is entirely different. Daily scale movements are largely meaningless noise, providing little useful information. Actual calorie data is not noise.

If one is going to weigh daily, then weigh and log daily. If one chooses weekly, weigh and log weekly. Only logging what fits the trend one wants is not accurate or truthful. Look at the logic expressed to why not to log a gain ... all based on assumptions.
  • kk1084
    kk1084 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I log everything-- the good, the bad, and the ugly. ;P
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm another who logs every time I'm on the scale whether it's gone up or down.
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If on my weekly weigh in day there is a gain, I log it. Not logging doesn't make it not happen. I make myself accountable and move on.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I did. Then I didn't. Now I'm starting again.

I like the lines. :)
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    moya_bleh wrote: »
    As someone who is currently trying to bulk up, you damn right I log dem gainz!

Made me laugh! or as most people say... LOL ... but for real
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    3laine75 wrote: »
    Yes, every single one - stops you from becoming disheartened the following month if you get to know your body's trends.

I'm gaining at the moment and the notification celebrating losses is getting old :/

I know that feeling. I have a few friends on here who are logging pound plus losses daily. It was getting so I would be afraid to check my news feed! They were doing awesome while I was just.....not.

The thing is, only your losses get shared with your MFP friends, so if you lose a pound, gain two, then lose one again over the course of a few days (easy with water weight fluctuations), it will look like like a two pound loss to anyone following your feed, even though your weight is back to where it started.

I've stopped logging small gains because of this. Anyone looking at my feed would think I'm losing 2-3lbs a week. Truth is, I am maintaining, but every time there is a temporary fluctuation, only one side of it ends up getting shared.

That is exactly why I stopped logging gains. People congratulate you for every fluctuation and it seems dishonest to accept congrats for something that was just re-losing the same pounds.

I cannot add or delete friends, so my friends list got out of control and I couldn't keep up with it. I had to give it up. So, I'm going back to logging my gains. :)

New year, new logging ways. :)
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I had some alcohol and treats over the last 2 days and today I showed a 3 pound gain. I am going to give it a few days. I will log it if it is real. I sure hope not...However, if it is, I will suck it up and get back on track. I will just have to work extra hard going forward.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and log on HappyScale. I report the trend (predicted weight), not the measured daily weight. I only report losses on MFP because they go on my timeline. I'd probably log a high weight on MFP if I regained a lot, but I don't like getting those "yay, you lost weight!" posts when it's just yo-yoing. And it drives me crazy when people on my timeline report every tiny fluctuation. If you want to use MFP to record daily measured weights, just turn off weight change status updates.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I find it useful to officially log weigh-ins only every 2 or 3 weeks, be it a gain or a loss, to smooth out the daily fluctuations I see from water weight changes. Otherwise, as an example, I'd have a 3lb loss one day, then maybe a 2.5lb gain the next, then a 2lb loss the following day; logging this would look dumb on the news feed since it announces losses only.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Maybe there is compromise. Once you log a weight on MFP it feels "official". I used to log every up and down, and used to feel like I was cheating when my friends congratulated me on losses, when it was just a day I gained water weight and lost it the next.

Now I have the best of both worlds: I only log my lowest weight on MFP, but use Libra app to log my weight daily. The whole purpose behind the app is to establish a weight trend, so it does not feel like cheating when I log a loss after a gain.
  • lynder64
    lynder64 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I've got the aria scale that sends my weigh in directly to MFP So... there is no getting away from it for me. (could be why I stayed off the scale over the holidays ;-))
  • Keeblerelfkin
    Keeblerelfkin Posts: 24 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I used to log the gains but then i was getting discouraged I am 155 pounds down with 184 to go so I just focus on the number going down and i weigh myself every 10 days.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    Consistency helps to gauge and teach. You'll usually find a gain based on usually some occasional increase or splurge, but also every once in awhile you may see no change. Having records helps one to learn about what affects their body more than others when it comes to food or drink.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png